Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 18 Feb 2015, 09:18 (Ref:3506092)   #1
LC2guy
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
LC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Red Bull Le Mans Story

Just saw this, would it ever happen ??

http://www.motorsport.com/lemans/new...on-their-radar
Old 18 Feb 2015, 09:33 (Ref:3506097)   #2
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LC2guy View Post
Just saw this, would it ever happen ??

http://www.motorsport.com/lemans/new...on-their-radar
Nothing's impossible and I've long thought that endurance racing was an ideal fit with a lot of Red Bull's brand values.

I was also struck by the slightly low key (but very impressive and nicely put together) video that Red Bull recently released of Daniel Ricciardo driving a period Alfa Romeo sportscar around the Targa Florio track. Maybe sportscars are starting to percolate into the wider Red Bull consciousness a little bit more?
Old 18 Feb 2015, 09:46 (Ref:3506101)   #3
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I would not rule it out there are also a number of other parts to it as Renault, Infinity and Nissan are all part of the one and there are currently 2 possible power units available in the group to power such a car (although both are not fully developed). If Renault was to get p....d off with F1 and turn to the WEC then anything is possible.

I would say that article is pure speculation though and has no real substance to it. It looks like a case of 2+2=5. Don't forgetall that stuff about Audi going to F1 not going to happen.
Old 18 Feb 2015, 10:03 (Ref:3506109)   #4
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
A very interesting article but really just speculation not sure that red bull has the funds to do this unless they cut back elsewhere.
Old 18 Feb 2015, 12:06 (Ref:3506153)   #5
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I don't see Renault involved in the WEC, more than they already are with Nissan and Alpine.
Old 18 Feb 2015, 12:12 (Ref:3506156)   #6
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
A very interesting article but really just speculation not sure that red bull has the funds to do this unless they cut back elsewhere.
they've got absolute fecktons of money. iirc the f1 team is still run purely with the pocket money mateschitz (sp, apologies) has for tinkering with stuff. if they fancied it they could easily have a go.
Old 18 Feb 2015, 17:40 (Ref:3506228)   #7
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Nice Lola.....

It would be good to see complete defection, as far as I'm concerned, but I agree with bella - they could easily do it if they wanted to.
Old 18 Feb 2015, 17:50 (Ref:3506236)   #8
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
i do not think red bull is as big as some people think, they are basically a one product company
Old 18 Feb 2015, 18:12 (Ref:3506245)   #9
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
i do not think red bull is as big as some people think, they are basically a one product company
Yeah but that one product sells in mind-boggling quantities.
Dietrich Mateschitz could fund a full "factory" Red Bull WEC campaign from his wallet, the guy is worth over $10billion.
And Red Bull's revenue was over $5billion last year.

Just like in F1, they'd be massive players if they had the inclination to be.
Old 18 Feb 2015, 18:40 (Ref:3506255)   #10
whitemr2
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
whitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
they've got absolute fecktons of money. iirc the f1 team is still run purely with the pocket money mateschitz (sp, apologies) has for tinkering with stuff. if they fancied it they could easily have a go.
I agree, if they want to they can. Money is no issue and boy can they build cars. Do you remember project X2010.
Old 18 Feb 2015, 18:52 (Ref:3506262)   #11
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
They'll have to go there when F1 is dead. Then we shall have won.

Serious point. I hadn't realised there was no longer an issue with advertising Red Bull in France.
Old 18 Feb 2015, 18:57 (Ref:3506265)   #12
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwood View Post
and at mindboggling prices too - as an example at the moment in tescos you can get 24 cans of coke for £7. 8 cans of red bull will set you back £8.

it's about 30-40% more expensive in france (i think). so the guy's raking it in.
Old 18 Feb 2015, 19:02 (Ref:3506268)   #13
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwood View Post
Dietrich Mateschitz could fund a full "factory" Red Bull WEC campaign from his wallet, the guy is worth over $10billion.
And Red Bull's revenue was over $5billion last year.

Just like in F1, they'd be massive players if they had the inclination to be.
It is amazing how some people see things, yes Red Bull sold just over 5 billion cans of drink last year, but that is not capable of generating 5 billion of profit, no where near it in fact, yes they do spend a large amount of money on sponsorship of cars etc but they do not have bottomless pockets and idea that they can just spend a couple of hundred million and not notice is foolish.
Old 18 Feb 2015, 22:46 (Ref:3506352)   #14
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
It is amazing how some people see things, yes Red Bull sold just over 5 billion cans of drink last year, but that is not capable of generating 5 billion of profit, no where near it in fact, yes they do spend a large amount of money on sponsorship of cars etc but they do not have bottomless pockets and idea that they can just spend a couple of hundred million and not notice is foolish.
Yeah, it is amazing how some people see things, like where it was said Red Bull generate 5 billion profit...
Profit and revenue are very different things.
But, Red Bull's revenues have lead to nice fat profits, which had lead to Mateschitz's personal fortune.
Which, as has been pointed out by more than one person, is more than enough to run a factory WEC/Le Mans program.

So yes, in fact, Mateschitz could spend one or two hundred million and not really notice.

Last edited by Hawkwood; 18 Feb 2015 at 23:02.
Old 19 Feb 2015, 09:53 (Ref:3506576)   #15
YorkshireLad
Veteran

United Kingdom
skipton, north yorkshire
YorkshireLad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In theory you could do it very cheap if you wanted.

Spend £40 on a membership at Perrinn.
Borrow his design, build the car, obvious the moldings etc would cost more for the first car... Couple of quid on a good engine, team and admin fees.
How much is it to run at lemans? £250k ?
Old 19 Feb 2015, 09:59 (Ref:3506578)   #16
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkshireLad View Post
In theory you could do it very cheap if you wanted.

Spend £40 on a membership at Perrinn.
Borrow his design, build the car, obvious the moldings etc would cost more for the first car... Couple of quid on a good engine, team and admin fees.
How much is it to run at lemans? £250k ?
i love that, but perhaps the cateering bill for the top teams might just use that up
Old 19 Feb 2015, 10:02 (Ref:3506581)   #17
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And something tells me, that is not the way that Red Bull want to go.
If they do it, they do it to win it, and Perrinn's design just isn't that yet.
Old 19 Feb 2015, 11:26 (Ref:3506606)   #18
YorkshireLad
Veteran

United Kingdom
skipton, north yorkshire
YorkshireLad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
And something tells me, that is not the way that Red Bull want to go.
If they do it, they do it to win it, and Perrinn's design just isn't that yet.

I wasn't been serious haha! Just thinking of a cheap way, plus I think newey would want to build his own masterpiece.