Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 9 Aug 2016, 08:02 (Ref:3664539)   #1
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
British Rallycross R6 - Lydden Hill

Three weeks until the August bank holiday round, so I thought I'd pop a thread up. I see Guy Martin has been posting test shots from Bonneville, so I assume he won't be making his guest appearance at Lydden? Any other surprise entries expected at this point?
Old 9 Aug 2016, 17:24 (Ref:3664680)   #2
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Liam at the start?
Old 9 Aug 2016, 19:17 (Ref:3664704)   #3
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I might pay the entry fee just to stand there and boo him relentlessly all day!
Old 10 Aug 2016, 07:53 (Ref:3664833)   #4
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
Liam at the start?
I had wondered if he might give the DS3 an outing. I wonder if the team will be focused on running Dan and Pat's cars though, especially as Dan is doing so well?
Old 10 Aug 2016, 13:41 (Ref:3664892)   #5
RichP
Rookie

RichP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dan's car is prepared and run separately from Pat's. Dan's dad's mechanics do all of the work from what I understand.
Old 10 Aug 2016, 14:11 (Ref:3664898)   #6
Hickey1
Racer

England
Maidstone, Kent
Hickey1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichP View Post
Dan's car is prepared and run separately from Pat's. Dan's dad's mechanics do all of the work from what I understand.
That would explain why it has been so much more reliable this year!
Old 10 Aug 2016, 20:59 (Ref:3664977)   #7
Hampton Caught
Racer

England
Hampton Caught should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickey1 View Post
That would explain why it has been so much more reliable this year!
It's also so much quicker than Steve Harris' car run by LDM as well. I think part of that is that Steve Harris' car has a longitudinal engine whereas Dan's is transverse..... or is it the other way around!?

Steve (tbtstt), hope to meet you in the paddock - I'll be there with my display with the Retro Rallycross team. See you there......

Cheers, Steve
Old 10 Aug 2016, 22:00 (Ref:3664984)   #8
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Might have a lot to do with Steve Harris aswell, the pilot does make a difference you know guys.
Old 11 Aug 2016, 08:24 (Ref:3665083)   #9
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichP View Post
Ah, that's interesting to know. Obviously got to grips with a supercar quicker than Jack Thorne's team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampton Caught View Post
It's also so much quicker than Steve Harris' car run by LDM as well. I think part of that is that Steve Harris' car has a longitudinal engine whereas Dan's is transverse..... or is it the other way around!?
If I recall correctly Steve Harris is in the ex-Pat Doran DS3, which is (or at least was) the inline/double wishbone car.

Dan Rooke is in the ex-Bakkerud DS3, which is a transverse/McPherson car.

Chunder has got a point with regards to driver; Krzysztof Skorupski got better results out of the inline DS3 than Tohill managed with a transverse car. No idea what state/spec the cars are in now though, so difficult to make the same comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampton Caught View Post
Steve (tbtstt), hope to meet you in the paddock - I'll be there with my display with the Retro Rallycross team. See you there......
I have every intention of passing by the Retro Rallycross team... though I can't guarantee that I won't get distracted by something else and run out of time again!
Old 11 Aug 2016, 11:35 (Ref:3665103)   #10
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
These things are not that easy to drive, a bit like WRC cars, they understeer like hell and require a very particular technique, if you watch guys like Hunsbedt, Isachsen and a few others they were often turning the car on the handbrake very lightly as the bigger cars don't turn in well.

The GSE cars suffered with this hugely in the new shape Fiesta, the older one was far better. Through Paddock at Lydden is a great test, most cars all you see and hear is a wail of understeer, and the only way around it is to really snap the steering and throw it in, but that wears the tyres out more so most don't do it.

Also, just because you can afford one of these things does not mean that you are at the top end of the driving talent spectrum. You might just be loaded and fancy driving something powerful. Or in Derek's case I guess you have pushed your budget to the extreme and can't afford to rag the thing as when you do it breaks down and costs you a fortune to repair.
Old 12 Aug 2016, 08:32 (Ref:3665310)   #11
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
These things are not that easy to drive, a bit like WRC cars, they understeer like hell and require a very particular technique, if you watch guys like Hunsbedt, Isachsen and a few others they were often turning the car on the handbrake very lightly as the bigger cars don't turn in well.
I daresay that's a relatively common technique now? I have definitely seen Solberg, Bakkerud, Timerzyanov, Ekstrom, Doran and I'm sure others using the handbrake in onboard clips. I think even the "tidier" drivers like Timmy Hansen use a dab of handbrake to get the cars to rotate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Through Paddock at Lydden is a great test, most cars all you see and hear is a wail of understeer, and the only way around it is to really snap the steering and throw it in, but that wears the tyres out more so most don't do it.
Yeah. I can't think of any other corner which loads the front of the car up as much as Paddock: the cars are carrying a lot of speed into that corner, it's a sharp turn plus you have gradient change through the bend.
Old 12 Aug 2016, 10:32 (Ref:3665337)   #12
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
The sad part is that in the past the entry was obviously on the race track, but then instantly there was gravel, so once you turned in, you could drift the car easier if the bumps were not too bad pretty much as soon as you turned in, it was wider too so used to be a passing place. Made it less of a puncture spot (unless your name was Gollop).

Same as Chessons which with the joker exit is now far narrower so the old Trevor Hopkins line right round the outside in the wet or at the first corner is now redundant.

And the less said about the tarmac inside of Chessons the better. So, so bad.

If I bought the place, I would remove the wide entry to Paddock to stop them using a car width more entry there, and build a joker lap onto the INSIDE of Chessons, a bit like the Estering or Holjes ones, tight, small and take up less space, you could all see what was going on instead of it being behind barriers.

Remove the current joker part, reshale Chessons completely, but keep the current exit that takes you away from the grass bank that claimed so many cars on the outside of the Chessons exit.
Old 12 Aug 2016, 16:32 (Ref:3665387)   #13
Minicross424
Veteran

United Kingdom
Ashford Kent
Minicross424 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Liam Doran replied to one of my tweets looks like he is considering entering.
Old 19 Aug 2016, 13:04 (Ref:3666544)   #14
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Entry list now up:

http://www.rallycrossbrx.com/assets/...ist-160819.pdf

13 Supercars
14 Super National
5 Super 1600
17 Suzuki Swift
7 Suzuki Swift Junior
8 Hot Hatch
7 BMW MINI
9 RX150
7 Retro

87 cars total.
Old 19 Aug 2016, 13:23 (Ref:3666547)   #15
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
That enough classes do you think? Or can we squeeze a few more in!

Blimey
Old 19 Aug 2016, 16:34 (Ref:3666606)   #16
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Hickey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Frustrating isn't it. The numbers are there it just needs the right class structure. Can't see it changing anytime soon. 13 supercars, 14 mods + 5 s1600 + 7 retros = 26 modified cars 17 swift + 7 Mini + 8 hot hatch = 32 16v 1600cc class. And the rest have their own classes. Simple.
Old 22 Aug 2016, 11:49 (Ref:3666992)   #17
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Yeah, as said, the numbers are there but spread across too many classes. At least there are enough cars in each class to fill the grid, so no two or three car finals.

In other news, Dave Newsham has withdrawn from the remaining rounds of the Championship:

http://www.rallycrossbrx.com/news/ne...rom-british-rx
Old 22 Aug 2016, 12:48 (Ref:3667001)   #18
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
Yeah, as said, the numbers are there but spread across too many classes. At least there are enough cars in each class to fill the grid, so no two or three car finals.
The retro grid is looking a bit thin - the numbers there seem to have dropped off a bit. Agree regarding the other classes - there are at least enough cars to warrant their own finals now (assuming all survive throughout the day) but overall there are still too many classes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
In other news, Dave Newsham has withdrawn from the remaining rounds of the Championship:

http://www.rallycrossbrx.com/news/ne...rom-british-rx
Odd one. All a bit of a damp squib really that wasn't it? Unreliability early in the season and now withdrawal - budget not there, spent on something else (BTCC) or what?
Old 22 Aug 2016, 20:01 (Ref:3667086)   #19
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
I don't mind them having their own finals but by mixing the heats we will get better races and the finals won't be just a replica of the previous 3 heats. I haven't looked at heat times, but I bet Ray Morgan would beat some supermods (as would Coney). And I am sure that Weigosz would beat some of the swifts and minis. Mixed and varied heats then all coming together in the A, B, C finals is what these classes are all about for me. Still it's all pipe dreams and we should be grateful that in these austere times, we have nearly 90 cars on track.
Great to see juniors with more entries.
Old 27 Aug 2016, 12:33 (Ref:3667835)   #20
Stephen H
Veteran

England
East Sussex
Stephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Has anyone seen the admission price on the day at the gate advertised anywhere?
Old 27 Aug 2016, 14:44 (Ref:3667849)   #21
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
I haven't actually, all you get on the crap website is a link to buy in advance, which means you pay someone a few quid in admin fees to do absolutely nothing, as you print out your own tickets on your own paper and that takes away the extra you saved for early prices, total rip off.

Just turn up and take 20 quid with you, should be enough, if it's not take your money, turn around and go to the beach for the day!! As BRX is not worth anymore than that is it!!
Old 27 Aug 2016, 19:37 (Ref:3667900)   #22
Hampton Caught
Racer

England
Hampton Caught should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen H View Post
Has anyone seen the admission price on the day at the gate advertised anywhere?
Stephen, according to the British Rallycross website, entry for the day is £15 per person. unless you've not yet reached your 12th birthday, in which case you get in for free!

87 cars entered, give or take a few late entries and no-shows, will mean a full day's racing ahead. Goodie goodie!

Cheers, Steve
Old 28 Aug 2016, 07:32 (Ref:3667981)   #23
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
I read it as "from £15", which is probably their concession price or the advance price. I'd be happy to be wrong (as I think 15 quid is great value for the day), but I think it will be 20 on the gate.
Old 28 Aug 2016, 08:02 (Ref:3667986)   #24
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Thats how I read it too Hick

That was how the did the WRX round. and if you buy early you will pay an admin fee.

15 is great value, 20 is pushing it a bit but still not bad.
Old 29 Aug 2016, 20:10 (Ref:3668485)   #25
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
I enjoyed today, some good racing across the classes, but some spread out races too. Not sure I'm a fan of selecting heats by times as that means you get the quickest guys at the front of each race and makes each race more stretched out.

If Mehlberg never races again it will be too soon. Absolutely criminal how he just drove into Rumsey then kept his foot planted. Not one skidmark on the track proving that he didn't hit the brake once. In fact, he was flat out. Totally ruined Rumsey's car and his Championship chances. If I were Rumsey, I'd think about suing him. I spoke to the clerk of the course after the incident who confirmed that they have Mehlbergs Go Pro, I hope they throw the book at him.