Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 24 Jan 2017, 17:49 (Ref:3704797)   #76
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I'm glad Bernie has gone. He may have saved F1 from abyss, but his delusional ways meant no good progress has been made in recent times, it's time for Carey to make a fresh start.

Ross Brawn being in a senior position is a masterstroke and is good for all concerned in the sport
Old 24 Jan 2017, 18:46 (Ref:3704815)   #77
SidewaysFeltham
Racer

United Kingdom
UK and France
SidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post

Ross Brawn being in a senior position is a masterstroke and is good for all concerned in the sport
Media business.
Old 24 Jan 2017, 18:50 (Ref:3704818)   #78
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidewaysFeltham View Post
Media business.
Since when has Ross Brawn had anything to do with media business? He cares about the sport first and formost
Old 24 Jan 2017, 18:51 (Ref:3704819)   #79
alc59
Rookie

alc59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is it my imagination or does Chase Carey resemble the long gone but much missed Geoffrey Healey?
Old 24 Jan 2017, 19:03 (Ref:3704823)   #80
SidewaysFeltham
Racer

United Kingdom
UK and France
SidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Duke View Post
Before BE took up the mantle,F1 was a part time sport.

You're a very amusing fellow.

I am sure such as Rudolf Uhlenhaut (July 1906-May 1989, Enzo Ferrari, Louis Stanley, Colin Chapman, John Cooper, Frank Williams, Robin Herd, Ken Tyrell, Peter Berthon and Raymond Mays, the Maserati bros, Renault, Honda, et al might rather disagree!

Worth perhaps assimilating the history of Brabham and Tauranac's Motor Racing Developments Limited?

Here:

When Ecclestone finished up in sole control of Brabham, both Black Jack and Ron had departed (Tauranac stayed for one year after Brabham had departed. Gordon Murray remained until 1986.
Old 24 Jan 2017, 19:15 (Ref:3704825)   #81
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Media business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Since when has Ross Brawn had anything to do with media business? He cares about the sport first and formost
in fairness the day he took a job with a massive media conglomerate made him a member of the media business.

i really admire the guy but he works for the enemy now!

seriously though, i need to hear more about what his thoughts are on the sporting side and time will tell if he can be any more successful at corralling the manufactures then BE or the FIA was.

is F1 to be a showcase of new and emerging automotive trends or will this just become more of a brand advertising exercise of superbowl level quality carried out on various social media platforms?
Old 24 Jan 2017, 19:22 (Ref:3704828)   #82
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Eccelstone's sense of humour and the way he carries himself always amused me in a gallows way. He has a dark sense of mischief that's peculiar to himself. He's a unique and mysterious figure.

But I don't like him. I think he should've retired circa '91. I think too much money ruins the sport and leaves it exposed during periods of global economic correction. There's severe problems with authoritarianism and the institutions of the sport are weak and compromised so as to support his own power. Todt can do very little really.

I just don't like anything he's done and that the sport is this popular compared to this or that other sport doesn't mean anything to me. I want it to be popular enough to be shown live on TV but I don't care about these things after that. And, of course, the guy now has the sport behind a paywall. I'm glad the Americans have ousted him and I'm not one bit nostalgic.

I don't know how these new people will manage the sport. I'm a little irked by NASCAR dividing up races into sprints which are very radical changes for them. Given NASCAR's prominence in the West one wonders whether the Liberty people will spring some seismic changes of their own on F1 in the forthcoming years.
Old 24 Jan 2017, 21:44 (Ref:3704855)   #83
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
dont know if Renault Sport are being classy or trying to make a joke by tweeting a picture of a fax they sent to BE.

https://twitter.com/RenaultSportF1/s...48227388936192

a little bit of both?
Old 24 Jan 2017, 22:02 (Ref:3704858)   #84
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
dont know if Renault Sport are being classy or trying to make a joke by tweeting a picture of a fax they sent to BE.

a little bit of both?
Who sends a fax anymore? I vote joke.
Old 24 Jan 2017, 22:04 (Ref:3704859)   #85
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

a little bit of both?
Probably intended to be classy, but it can easily be read (by hardcore fans) in a specific way that may include a sly wink. So maybe they were clever!

For me my mind injected a few edits when I read it. See if you can spot my edits...

Quote:
Dear Mr. Ecclestone,

From all at Renault Sport Formula One Team, we would like to thank you for your contributions towards making Formula 1 the mess that it is today.

We wish you the happiest of transitions for whatever you choose to do next. We trust it'll be "entertaining", as always.

With warm regards,

Us. x

Richard
Old 24 Jan 2017, 22:19 (Ref:3704863)   #86
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Another epic was Jimmy Clark's win in the British GP at Silverstone in 1965. The 1500 c.c. Coventry Climax V8 was notorious for oil consumption. To win the race, Clark coasted at times and even switched off the engine!
"Lift and coast"? Shock! Horror! One of the most villified aspects of racing in the last few years, and it was invented by Jim Clark.
Old 24 Jan 2017, 22:23 (Ref:3704864)   #87
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Very good
Old 24 Jan 2017, 22:48 (Ref:3704868)   #88
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
F1 would not have become what it is today without Bernie, however I think his time has now passed as he does not appear to have a vision for what is needed in the future.
Up to the early naughties Bernie had generally done a good job for F1 in building the sport into a major global sport.
However once he invited in the money men in the form of CVC things started to turn for the worse. They were so greedy that left only themselves and a few of the top teams able to make a profit out of F1. The net result has been a decline in popularity and a lot of disilusionment.
Old 24 Jan 2017, 22:59 (Ref:3704872)   #89
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yes. He did good for a bit and then proceeded to do what a lot of sports controlling parties seem to be doing now and that is to make as much money as possible in the short-term at the sacrifice of the future. Bernie's future is now and it's not so good, IMHO.
Old 24 Jan 2017, 23:12 (Ref:3704876)   #90
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Mr Saward seems to have a more balanced view Here
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 25 Jan 2017, 02:16 (Ref:3704893)   #91
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Mr Saward seems to have a more balanced view Here
Good read. Thanks.

If he didnt increase the size of his wallet, he certainly increased the size of his ego, with a similar result of short term success while losing sight of how the future is impacted.

Polarizing figure but regardless, a change was inevitable at 86.
Old 25 Jan 2017, 03:14 (Ref:3704901)   #92
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
Good read. Thanks.

If he didnt increase the size of his wallet, he certainly increased the size of his ego, with a similar result of short term success while losing sight of how the future is impacted.

Polarizing figure but regardless, a change was inevitable at 86.
The thing to consider is that Mr Ecclestone managed to generate & regenerate himself every day, every month, every year, when in charge of what has to be said is a sprawling global empire...

The telling thing might be that the new owners are replacing Mr Ecclestone with 3 figureheads....
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 25 Jan 2017, 03:46 (Ref:3704908)   #93
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
The thing to consider is that Mr Ecclestone managed to generate & regenerate himself every day, every month, every year, when in charge of what has to be said is a sprawling global empire...

The telling thing might be that the new owners are replacing Mr Ecclestone with 3 figureheads....
He's an amazing man, there's no doubt. 3 people doing his job? That's a good thing. Better than 1 greedy, egotistical and perhaps senile old man pulling more strings than he should.

And the sprawling empire, like the many odd comparisons to nascar on this, has completely forgotten and neglected the aspects that made it great for the gain of few.
Old 25 Jan 2017, 05:49 (Ref:3704915)   #94
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
What if Mr E was to save Manor F1 by buying them out? That way Mr E could still be in F1?? Hmmm...

A little off topic I know, but Sergio Marchionne met with Donald Trump today.

Maybe Marchionne was asking Trump for advice on he could make Ferrari great again??
Old 25 Jan 2017, 07:31 (Ref:3704919)   #95
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Good riddance to the prince of avarice who shamelessly exploited F1's heritage by selling races to joke countries like Azerbaijan (and anyone else who'd pay the thirty pieces of silver ) whilst simultaneously repaying the 'heritage circuits ' by making their Grands Prix unaffordable.Hello S Korea, Turkey , Bahrain and Abu Dhabi - and goodbye ..hmm..let me see- Holland, Germany, Argentina , France (till this year ) , Sweden , Portugal and US (until recently) etc .

A sport with primarily a European fan base (with hon. mentions to Japan , Aus and USA ) is whored around anywhere that would pay the exorbitant bill - can you imagine Man U and Arsenal only playing in the Middle East ?
Old 25 Jan 2017, 09:25 (Ref:3704933)   #96
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
What if Mr E was to save Manor F1 by buying them out? That way Mr E could still be in F1?? Hmmm...

A little off topic I know, but Sergio Marchionne met with Donald Trump today.

Maybe Marchionne was asking Trump for advice on he could make Ferrari great again??
What's Putin doing there? Is he BE's representative?
Old 25 Jan 2017, 10:07 (Ref:3704939)   #97
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ecclestone did nothing for the sport, other than make an obscene amount of money for himself and a relatively small number of opportunist's.

He squeezed many great circuits to death,paid the teams as little as he could get away with, priced the TV rights beyond the reach of terrestrial networks and banked the rest.

Millions of fans across the globe have been left with half a grid on life support,any number of instantly forgettable race tracks and classic GP's either hanging by a thread or gone.

He can now spend the years he has left counting his billions whilst we're all left wondering whether they'll even be a British GP and can we afford the entrance fee anyway. This greedy old man deserves no praise what so ever from genuine motorsport fans around the World.
Old 25 Jan 2017, 10:09 (Ref:3704941)   #98
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A group of Autosport staffers have an interesting assessment of BE's time in the sport. If expanded with facts, pictures and contemporary extracts from the magazine it would make a good book.

Whatever our personal opinions and prejudices he has made a huge impact on much more sport than Motorsport IMO.
Old 25 Jan 2017, 16:09 (Ref:3705026)   #99
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
the teams have apparently turned down Liberty's offer to buy shares in F1 primarily because they were not offered voting shares.

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns35654.html

perhaps further negotiations will change this but if it turns out to be piece meal (one team at a time taking up the offer) i have to say, cynically i suppose, that at best Liberty did not make them a fair offer and at worst its the same divide and conquer game that the previous administration played.

either way, dealing with the teams will be, and as it has always been, a problem.
Old 25 Jan 2017, 16:16 (Ref:3705030)   #100
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
Good riddance to the prince of avarice who shamelessly exploited F1's heritage by selling races to joke countries like Azerbaijan (and anyone else who'd pay the thirty pieces of silver ) whilst simultaneously repaying the 'heritage circuits ' by making their Grands Prix unaffordable.Hello S Korea, Turkey , Bahrain and Abu Dhabi - and goodbye ..hmm..let me see- Holland, Germany, Argentina , France (till this year ) , Sweden , Portugal and US (until recently) etc .
A sport with primarily a European fan base (with hon. mentions to Japan , Aus and USA ) is whored around anywhere that would pay the exorbitant bill - can you imagine Man U and Arsenal only playing in the Middle East ?
Okay well it's over now isn't it so grey sky's are going to clear up, so put on a happy face ..😊