Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 6 Jun 2000, 13:43 (Ref:15821)   #1
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We have an expression in Norway: That someone looks like "he's sold butter and not got paid." To me, that was the way Ron Dennis looked when he was on the podium with DC on Sunday. When DC turned his face to him and smiled, RD made some sort of effort to look happy, but it was crystal clear that he was not. I think it's very sad that they've got this situation in McLaren. Mika was way behind on Sunday, without any chance of winning, and when the team's other driver wins, you would think RD would be happy for that. Maybe not as happy as when Mika wins, but he SHOULD be happy. It's a mystery to me why DC is still driving for this team when the situation is like it is, I mean why do they keep him if they don't want him to win when their no. 1 driver is not winning?

Old 6 Jun 2000, 14:28 (Ref:15827)   #2
Nuvolari
Racer

Nuvolari should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seems to this humble observer that constructors' points are constructors' points.
Old 6 Jun 2000, 15:38 (Ref:15830)   #3
Schume
Racer

Schume should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does RD ever look happy??

Maybe he can see the day dawning when he has to say to MH, go out and drive to help DC win the WDC.

Given the comments that MH has made about DC recently, that would be a very interesting conversation.

If DC keeps out scoring him at the current rate then he will soon be McLaren's best hope of the WDC this season.
Old 6 Jun 2000, 16:57 (Ref:15839)   #4
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
David 'The Cube' Coulthard: WDC 2000

Ron is obviously not pleased that his golden-haired wonderboy is behind Blockhead in the championship. David has done nothing but impress this season, whereas as Mika has appeared lacklustre and generally nasty.

Perhaps NOW we are seeing what David Coulthard really can do.

Old 6 Jun 2000, 17:14 (Ref:15847)   #5
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have to say, R, that I missed Dennis' expression on the Podium- I would think he would be pleased.

In contrast, I thought Norbert Haug's greeting on DC following the Champagne shower was very warm.
There is little doubt in my mind that DC is for Mercedes a much more media friendly representative (should he win the WDC this year) than Mika has been.

But surely, if things continue as they have, McLaren will have to throw their support behind DC. Mika has had considerable help over the past three seasons- Coulthard has earned reciprocity.
Old 6 Jun 2000, 23:37 (Ref:15939)   #6
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i just read in this past issue of F1 Racing that Hakkinen was told to back off as Coulthard nursed his car home for the win at Silverstone. This doesn't sound like favouritism to me. McLaren is a business and IF DC can bring the WDC home, believe me you'll see Dennis smiling from ear to ear.
And as much as it behooves me to admit, i to think DC would be a much better WDC; publicity wise.
Old 7 Jun 2000, 00:49 (Ref:15963)   #7
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lauda Was Right

Niki said that DC's accident would be a life-changing experience and would be the making of him as a pilote.

Looks to me as if Niki was right.

GO DC!!!!!!!!!!

Sudden thought: Could DC's near death experience possibly have brought back bad memories to The Other Guy, which are upsetting his racing?
Old 7 Jun 2000, 00:59 (Ref:15970)   #8
Diabando
Veteran

Australia
Victoria, Australia
Diabando should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDiabando should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Personally....I just think RD is evil...somewhat like a clown in the dark corner of a childs room.
Old 7 Jun 2000, 14:05 (Ref:16073)   #9
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
EERO and enemy-ace: Maybe it's just me getting paranoid... with all the talk that has been recently about Ron Dennis trying to destroy DC's races (DC aledgedly finding a "kill switch" last year, as stated in another topic, something which would explain all his mechanical retirements), RD wanting DC to perform badly so that Mika would look good, etc. With all this speculation, I've looked for signs, which I think I saw on that podium... But I hope I'm wrong! I hope DC gets full support from the team in his quest for the WDC.

Schume, Minardi Fan and Liz: I agree, DC has impressed this season, Mika has not. And I also think DC's dice with death in that tragic plane crash has made him stronger. "What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger." Perhaps this is DC's year? Out of the three realistic title contenders, he's the one I would rather see winning it.

And it would make for an interesting interview with Mika if DC takes the championship, especially if he snatches it from under Mika's nose in the last race:

Reporter: "Mika, how do you feel about David taking over from you as WDC?"
Mika: "D-D-David... Ah... Uh..."
Old 7 Jun 2000, 18:54 (Ref:16146)   #10
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
R, its a wild thought!

Mika: (Adjusts hat) Well.......uh.........

We're going to be looking into this....I.... uh......(WIPES FACE)...uh.....I think David did a pretty good job...uh..But I am very...(removes hat, places back on head, adjusts brim) uh....uh....Welll there is one thing I want to say about this....uh......ummmmm...uh...
Old 7 Jun 2000, 22:40 (Ref:16199)   #11
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ask Uncle Ron

Interviewer: "I guess you must be pretty excited for your World Champion Driver, David Coulthardt, right Mr. Dennis?"

Uncle Ron: "I am going to lodge a protest against this illegal car as soon as I can find my Pet Scrutineer---uh, David? David won? Excuse me, did you say David COULTHARDT? Oh my god, what does Mika think?"

Interviewer: "Actually he's locked himself in the washroom and all we've heard from him is a note that says 'send in more kleenex.'"

Uncle Ron: "I've got a spare key --"

Interviewer: "You're going to get him out?"

Uncle Ron: "I'm going to JOIN HIM! WAAAAAAAAAH!"
Old 7 Jun 2000, 23:39 (Ref:16209)   #12
AL Racing
Racer

AL Racing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
with all the talk that has been recently about Ron Dennis trying to destroy DC's races (DC aledgedly finding a "kill switch" last year, as stated in another topic, something which would explain all his mechanical retirements)
R, I was only joking/sarcastic when I posted about the "kill switch", I said so later in the topic.
Old 8 Jun 2000, 07:23 (Ref:16275)   #13
R
Veteran

OK, thanks AL, I must have missed that.

Or forgot it... first thought stays in mind, second just peels of...
Old 8 Jun 2000, 18:41 (Ref:16329)   #14
R
Veteran

Check your spelling, you ****

That should be "off", not "of".
Old 13 Jun 2000, 15:40 (Ref:17045)   #15
Kenny W.
Racer

Kenny W. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Not quite in the line of this topic, but who thinks that the 6 points disqualified from DC in Brazil will affect the outcome of the WDC? (Also to what extent?)
Obviously it would mean a larger lead to MH and could affect the point at which Ron is pressured into backing one driver. Also would TGF be making the same smart comments about "his main rival" if there were only a 6 point gap?
Old 13 Jun 2000, 19:29 (Ref:17094)   #16
AL Racing
Racer

AL Racing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Those 6 points would be gold worth for DC for sure, but the car wasn't legal so no point for him thinking about it. And about Schuey's comment, I think Ron Dennis has really blown it up to proportion, it was just a comment that he still thinks Hakkinen is his MAIN rival, not that DC is not A rival to the WDC. If someone ask him that question I'm sure he's gonna say that DC is a challenger and a rival to his Championship campaign.