Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 24 Nov 2019, 15:48 (Ref:3942569)   #1
Theunser
Racer

Theunser should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The young Rubens Barrichello

Barrichello was kinda the rookie of the year in 1993.
He was considered to be a future multiple world champion. For 1994 he was in contention for the Mclaren seat, and after Senna's death he was offered to be the lead Williams driver. Also in 1996 he was in line for a top drive(Ferrari,Benetton).
Do you think if he got a top drive in the mid 90's, he would be a champion and his career could be much more different?
Old 24 Nov 2019, 15:54 (Ref:3942570)   #2
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I doubt it. Whilst being linked to a number of seats, I don't know how serious the negotiations were. However, I don't if he'd moved to Ferrari he would have achieved much better results that Irvine; Benetton post Schumacher was not a competitive place to be; and at McLaren, Hakkinen would have been the preferred driver. Therefore, he might have scored an extra win or two, but probably not a championship title.
Old 24 Nov 2019, 17:04 (Ref:3942578)   #3
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
There were days when no one could live him and there were times, particularly in 03 when he proved more than a match for Schumi. However consistency was his problem
Old 24 Nov 2019, 18:16 (Ref:3942595)   #4
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
I never heard anyone forecast multiple world championships for Barrichello . Or, come to think of it , for virtually anyone else in those less hype drenched days.

He was one of a very long series of drivers who had excelled in British F3 and who had enough early success in F1 to get people talking . History judges him as a peerless driver on his day , but with not having his days as often as some . He also suffered , perhaps wrongly , from having a nice guy image , and not having the ruthlessness of drivers such as Senna , Mansell et al
Old 24 Nov 2019, 21:38 (Ref:3942614)   #5
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
I never heard anyone forecast multiple world championships for Barrichello . Or, come to think of it , for virtually anyone else in those less hype drenched days.
Kimi Raikkonen was mentioned by Brundle at the 2001 Aus GP (on his F1 debut) as being a future WDC.
Also James HUnt I think it was mentioned the same for Senna early in his career.
And then in 2007 it was Hamilton.
Old 24 Nov 2019, 23:40 (Ref:3942627)   #6
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Had Barrichello gone to Mclaren instead of Ferrari he may have got a clearer shot but I considered him to be at the same level as DC who on the whole just managed to keep Mika in range sometimes.
Old 25 Nov 2019, 11:09 (Ref:3942713)   #7
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Definitely a driver on the Patrese/Berger/Coulthard/Bottas kind. Can beat their superstar team mate on occasion, just not all the time
Old 26 Nov 2019, 19:38 (Ref:3943037)   #8
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
He had a better chance than most F1 drivers ever get. He had the best car on the grid in 2009, and only needed to beat his teammate to become WDC. Didn't happen.

He also drove for Ferrari - but you cant really blame him for being dominated by his teammate at the time.

Good driver, but never deserved to be a WDC.
Old 26 Nov 2019, 21:24 (Ref:3943069)   #9
S griffin
Veteran

I agree. He failed to make his big chance pay against Jenson, and JB was a very good driver, if not quite on the Alonso/Hamilton/Vettel level

That said, Barrichello did not deserve that disgraceful treatment at Austria 2002
Old 1 Dec 2019, 02:35 (Ref:3943954)   #10
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I agree. He failed to make his big chance pay against Jenson, and JB was a very good driver, if not quite on the Alonso/Hamilton/Vettel level

That said, Barrichello did not deserve that disgraceful treatment at Austria 2002
That little fiasco was totally Jean Todt's bright idea. Nobody else was at all happy with the idea including Schu.
Old 1 Dec 2019, 11:04 (Ref:3944000)   #11
S griffin
Veteran

To be fair it was Barrichello's decision to wait till the final moment to do it, but that was because he was being cheated of a win he had deserved
Old 2 Dec 2019, 09:18 (Ref:3944188)   #12
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
To be fair it was Barrichello's decision to wait till the final moment to do it, but that was because he was being cheated of a win he had deserved
Yes i think we are well aware of the story 😎
Old 2 Dec 2019, 11:46 (Ref:3944231)   #13
S griffin
Veteran

Indeed. With Clive James’ passing the other day, I was remembering his F1 involvement and how that incident made him fall out of love with the sport
Old 7 Dec 2019, 07:32 (Ref:3945326)   #14
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
There's an excellent Beyond The Grid podcast with Barrichello, Fascinating listen and I had not been aware he'd had a stroke recently , from which he sounds 100% recovered
Old 7 Dec 2019, 13:16 (Ref:3945364)   #15
hoffman66
Racer

hoffman66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He was in the middle of that line of hyped Brazlian talent first started by Emmo and carried Piquet, reached the peak with Senna and saw its demise with Burti, Bernoldi, Pizzonia et al.

Glad that freight train of average talent at the end stopped!
Old 7 Dec 2019, 22:41 (Ref:3945442)   #16
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffman66 View Post
He was in the middle of that line of hyped Brazlian talent first started by Emmo and carried Piquet, reached the peak with Senna and saw its demise with Burti, Bernoldi, Pizzonia et al.

Glad that freight train of average talent at the end stopped!
Emmo, Piquet and Senna average?

Some average!
Old 8 Dec 2019, 00:16 (Ref:3945471)   #17
hoffman66
Racer

I was talking about the later ones, obviously not the earlier stream of talent from Brazil, I would have thought that was obvious!
Old 8 Dec 2019, 07:49 (Ref:3945519)   #18
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
Fittipaldi , Senna , Piquet and Pace (you forgot him ) were every bit as good as their early careers suggested . In early days there was little hype anyway , with Fittipaldi rising virtually without trace and , thanks to our vibrant F3 series then, many of us could see for ourselves just how good Piquet and Senna were from watching them for ourselves. I saw Senna in FF1600 and he was just an unknown Brazilian kid - until we saw just who good he was.
Old 8 Dec 2019, 09:59 (Ref:3945527)   #19
S griffin
Veteran

Don't forget we later had Massa, came close to winning the title in 08. Just a shame Nasr never got a long enough career to see how good he was
Old 8 Dec 2019, 11:36 (Ref:3945543)   #20
hoffman66
Racer

Remember them all getting drives with Draco, that was the production line!

So many, Da Matta, Fittipaldi, Marquez, Palhares, so so many followed the example
Old 8 Dec 2019, 11:40 (Ref:3945548)   #21
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Don't forget we later had Massa, came close to winning the title in 08. Just a shame Nasr never got a long enough career to see how good he was
Or maybe we got plenty of time to see just how good he was.
Old 9 Dec 2019, 09:13 (Ref:3945662)   #22
S griffin
Veteran

He was good, but I felt he deserved more than two seasons. That's the problem when you have limited space on the grid. Just ask the Hulk
Old 9 Dec 2019, 23:51 (Ref:3945846)   #23
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

There are 3 Brazilians in my lifetime who shoukd have got to F1 but didn't.
Sandro Sala
Carcasci
Castroneves

Junqueira was more than average too.
Old 10 Dec 2019, 08:12 (Ref:3945892)   #24
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
Another vote for Sandro Sala , whom I saw race many times in the 80s . He was special . Did a lot of work on the McLaren F1 - there is a lovely Russell Bulgin story about Sala driving him to Le Mans in the F1
Old 10 Dec 2019, 13:15 (Ref:3945921)   #25
S griffin
Veteran

Don't forget Gil de Ferran, who came close to a Ligier seat in the mid 90s

Tags
barrichello