Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 29 Sep 2019, 14:46 (Ref:3930852)   #676
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Too much continuous green flag racing for today's standards.
Can't we have a yellow soon?

Haha Maro "we got squeezed off the track". Do you believe it yourself?

--

EDIT:
Luckily we have a FCY right now. Can't have too large green lap periods.

Last edited by gert; 29 Sep 2019 at 14:52.
Old 29 Sep 2019, 15:04 (Ref:3930855)   #677
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
125 minutes of racing so far.

50 of those under green.
Old 29 Sep 2019, 15:07 (Ref:3930858)   #678
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Oh ffs.
Old 29 Sep 2019, 15:09 (Ref:3930859)   #679
bentley speed 8
Veteran

Sri Lanka
bentley speed 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbentley speed 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This has become a total farce
Old 29 Sep 2019, 15:29 (Ref:3930862)   #680
bentley speed 8
Veteran

Sri Lanka
bentley speed 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbentley speed 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has everybody forgotten how to drive?
Old 29 Sep 2019, 15:38 (Ref:3930866)   #681
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentley speed 8 View Post
Has everybody forgotten?
Fixed. And yes is the answer. From the race track, to the garages, to the stewards' office, this race has been modern Blancpain at it most obnoxious.
Old 29 Sep 2019, 15:57 (Ref:3930873)   #682
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Absolutely baffling driving standards
Old 29 Sep 2019, 16:00 (Ref:3930874)   #683
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
That's one of the worst sports car races I've ever seen. Blancpain in general is at a very very low point.
Old 29 Sep 2019, 16:02 (Ref:3930875)   #684
bentley speed 8
Veteran

Sri Lanka
Can't wait for the highlights reel...
Old 29 Sep 2019, 16:05 (Ref:3930876)   #685
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
I don't remember TUSC, or even ELMS at its nadir, being as laughable as this race was.
Old 29 Sep 2019, 16:11 (Ref:3930879)   #686
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
In the end the #4 got what it deserved IMO: after the bumping with the #98 even before the start, shortcutting the corner after the start and getting awawy with the advantage gained, the contact with the #519, and finally the contact with the 2#

--

Poor driving standards, poor stewarding, too many FCYs and SCs. A very fitting end to this year's Blancpain series.
Old 29 Sep 2019, 16:38 (Ref:3930886)   #687
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
In his very interesting long interview with Graham Goodwin recently, Stephane Ratel said several that he considered himself primarily “an entertainer”. This (and an argument on costs which I found convincing) was how he justified the micro-management of stints/stops etc.

There is no doubt that 40+ GT3 cars is a wonderful spectacle. They look, sound and go great, with huge variety. I have just spent a very enjoyable weekend watching and photographing these wonderful machines roaring and chittering and rasping and thundering around a very pretty track.

But somewhere in the midst of this, Ratel’s operation has lost sight of its primary purpose as an organiser of race meetings. The best entertainment is long periods of green flag, clean racing and Blancpain has not offered that at a single race this year. The driving standards are terrible, really bad. The stewarding is inconsistent and weak. Race direction make too many mistakes. The FCY->SC thing is a disgrace.

I left after less than an hour of the race today. It’s terrible to watch. I shot 3000 lovely pics from the practice sessions. Great spectacle that; awful racing today.
Old 29 Sep 2019, 17:47 (Ref:3930903)   #688
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
His explanation on stint lengths and stops etc does make sense. Because you don't have to balance fuel tank sizes, refill rates and all that stuff. So it's much much easier to do it this way.

But as you said, it is not entertaining. And I'd say it's been on a decline for at least 2-3 years now. Part of that is the stint lengths. Part is the poor driving standards. Part of it is smaller, less impressive grids (Sprint). Part of it is the poor use of FCY -> SC. Part of it is the TV commentary.

There are a lot of things with problems. Some minor, some major. But it's all adding up to a declining quality product. Even just dropping FCY->SC, dropping Watson and having a go at a more natural stint length management would be a huge plus.
Old 30 Sep 2019, 15:54 (Ref:3931117)   #689
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker
Who cares about the driving standards? If you don't like it, go to watch another sport. Of course, any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self-control to be understanding and forgiving.

Superb piece of racing. Non-stop action until the chequered flag. Not one of those processional WEC-style races. If you like racing, you love Blancpain GT.
Old 30 Sep 2019, 17:50 (Ref:3931136)   #690
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juntos View Post
Who cares about the driving standards? If you don't like it, go to watch another sport. Of course, any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self-control to be understanding and forgiving.

Superb piece of racing. Non-stop action until the chequered flag. Not one of those processional WEC-style races. If you like racing, you love Blancpain GT.
What? Almost half the race was NOT racing, it was follow the neutralized leader. There was almost no action from the bits I caught and coverage. I guess if you think wrecks are action packed racing it was action packed. But I'd rather watch a procession than drivers dumping each other and stopping the pace of the race
Old 30 Sep 2019, 17:56 (Ref:3931138)   #691
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:

Normally I'd think this is trolling. But given it's you who posted it, I know this is trolling.

1hr 25mintes of the track being neutralised. A further 25 minutes of local yellows. 1hr 10 minutes of full green flag racing. Tell me again how brilliant it was.
Old 30 Sep 2019, 21:17 (Ref:3931180)   #692
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker

Akrapovic, it's okay to disagree with the thoughts or opinions expressed by other people. That doesn't give you the right to deny any sense they might make. Nor does it give you a right to accuse someone of poorly expressing their beliefs just because you don't like what they are saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
What? Almost half the race was NOT racing, it was follow the neutralized leader. There was almost no action from the bits I caught and coverage. I guess if you think wrecks are action packed racing it was action packed. But I'd rather watch a procession than drivers dumping each other and stopping the pace of the race
Coming from an American I feel your comment strange. Compared to a regular Indy500 race this Barcelona race had plenty of green time running. The race was definitely fun and if you do a survey, the fans would agree with me. To watch processional races, we have the WEC.
Old 30 Sep 2019, 21:56 (Ref:3931192)   #693
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Akrapovic, it's okay to disagree with the thoughts or opinions expressed by other people. That doesn't give you the right to deny any sense they might make. Nor does it give you a right to accuse someone of poorly expressing their beliefs just because you don't like what they are saying.

Coming from an American I feel your comment strange. Compared to a regular Indy500 race this Barcelona race had plenty of green time running. The race was definitely fun and if you do a survey, the fans would agree with me. To watch processional races, we have the WEC.
Sorry but the vast majority of Indy 500s have not run at 50% cautions so your comparison falls flat. And I've ONLY seen *****ing and crying about how bad the racing was. I haven't seen a single article or post honestly stating it was a great race. In fact most of the teams complained to the media about how bad so who in fact enjoyed it?

And sorry, but no one dismissed your ability to have an opinion. But of us directly challenged WHY you started what you did, that's a conversation Trump. It's what grownups do.
Old 1 Oct 2019, 06:16 (Ref:3931231)   #694
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Says the man who posted "go watch another sport" and calls someone a fool who criticised that absolute disaster of a race.

Juntos, it's ok to disagree with the thoughts or opinions expressed by other people. Especially when everyone disagrees with you.
Old 1 Oct 2019, 12:37 (Ref:3931286)   #695
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Barcelona was a calamity for sure. The Blancpain GT Endurance season was a joke in 2019. Worst by far. Driving standards are as bad as ever. Not sure what to do about that though. Don't these guys understand it is an "endurance" race. Stop being heroes, keep the car on pavement, and get it to the next driver. I don't drive and I F'ing know that!

And yeah the safety car thing has got to go. That is obvious. As bad as the Endurance cup was this year. The Blancpain Sprint cup has been just fine this year. Also the ICGT races outside of Spa were good. Well...Bathurst was decent. Too many yellows there again. But Laguna Seca was cool, and THE BEST GT3 race in 2019 globally (SRO based) has been the Suzuka 10 hours. That is a very good watch. Got high hopes for Kylami too. Emphasis on SRO only. Got to mention Nürburgring was great this year. IMSA GTD at Lime Rock was incredible too.

But yeah, Blancpain GT endurance needs major overhauls. Bad bad stuff. Thumbs down to all. Drivers and race officials.

Last edited by MaskedRacer; 1 Oct 2019 at 12:43.
Old 1 Oct 2019, 13:15 (Ref:3931295)   #696
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
THE BEST GT3 race in 2019 globally (SRO based) has been the Suzuka 10 hours. That is a very good watch. Got high hopes for Kylami too. Emphasis on SRO only. Got to mention Nürburgring was great this year. IMSA GTD at Lime Rock was incredible too.
Did you watch British GT from Spa? That one was a ton of fun too!
Old 1 Oct 2019, 14:41 (Ref:3931308)   #697
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
Did you watch British GT from Spa? That one was a ton of fun too!
No did not think of that series, but thanks for the tip. Will give it a watch.
Old 1 Oct 2019, 19:53 (Ref:3931354)   #698
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
You'll enjoy it. It's like Blancpain with less nonsense.
Old 1 Oct 2019, 20:59 (Ref:3931365)   #699
W2Motorsport
Racer

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
W2Motorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Late to this but based on my understanding the initial penalty made sense to me -

Costa made part of that pass in the pit lane, which is outside of track limits. Then Engel ran wide missing the chicane but gave the spot back which, especially on lap one when the track is crowded happens often. The rest of the race was a mess no doubt but I wasn't up in arms about that, more so about all of the pacing around.
Old 1 Oct 2019, 21:01 (Ref:3931366)   #700
W2Motorsport
Racer

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
W2Motorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
British GT is great! Awesome grids wiith GT3 and GT4 on the same track. Definitely adds to the drama.