Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 17 Dec 2003, 13:56 (Ref:814068)   #1
Cosworth_RS
Racer

Cosworth_RS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Vectra for Vauxhall in BTCC?

In todays Auto Express there is a small article about the Vectra being used in the DTM for 2004. It also says Vauxhall are to use this model in the BTCC. Does anyone know anything about this being confirmed? Or is it just speculation by the motoring press?

Last edited by Cosworth_RS; 17 Dec 2003 at 13:57.
Old 17 Dec 2003, 15:20 (Ref:814142)   #2
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just speculation.
Old 17 Dec 2003, 15:21 (Ref:814143)   #3
nitromaster
Rookie

nitromaster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They've build and tested a BTCC Vectra but I don't know which car they've decided on using..
Old 17 Dec 2003, 21:40 (Ref:814528)   #4
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
No decision yet, the Astra and Vectra are to be tested together in January.
Old 18 Dec 2003, 19:15 (Ref:815455)   #5
Cosworth_RS
Racer

Cosworth_RS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There has been some debate over this before but is there any rule which says Vauxhall cannot run a Vectra and 2 Astras or 2 Vectras and an Astra. If there is no rule preventing this I can imagine the only limitation would be cost.
Old 18 Dec 2003, 21:12 (Ref:815527)   #6
big ears
Rookie

big ears should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They want to run a vectra, because they think it is a better imagine to sell as a family car. I think they have tested the vectra along with the astra at the same test, to compare them
Old 1 Jan 2004, 18:29 (Ref:825231)   #7
daz90
Racer

England
England
daz90 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the astra is being replaced next summer aswell, i heard they might use the vectra so as to promote that model, and correct me if i am wrong but didnt opel use the new vectra in the v8 euro series, the series with the jags that has collapsed. i also think there were new mondeo's in that.

oh and i hope the vectra does return, salloons are proper tourers, not hatchbacks/coupe's.
Old 1 Jan 2004, 18:51 (Ref:825241)   #8
Jonny Apex
Veteran

Jonny Apex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As reported in Motorsport News recently, Vauxhall will make a decision after a test in Spain at the end of January.
Old 2 Jan 2004, 01:22 (Ref:825439)   #9
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by daz90
the astra is being replaced next summer aswell, i heard they might use the vectra so as to promote that model, and correct me if i am wrong but didnt opel use the new vectra in the v8 euro series, the series with the jags that has collapsed. i also think there were new mondeo's in that.

oh and i hope the vectra does return, salloons are proper tourers, not hatchbacks/coupe's.
Eurocars? That's been dead for years.

If you're saying that about saloons, then you're effectively saying that one of the most successful BTCC super tourers ever was not a proper tourer. Even though it was run by an F1 team.
Old 2 Jan 2004, 03:37 (Ref:825483)   #10
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Craner Curves
Eurocars? That's been dead for years.
No, I believe daz90 is referring to Germany's V8Star series which had the 2nd generation Mondeo, Jag S Type, VW Passat, Lexus GS300 racing in it. However, I believe it was the Opel Omega that raced in it. Of course, none of the cars actually carried a manufacturer badge, but it's obvious which brand each car belonged to.

Quote:
If you're saying that about saloons, then you're effectively saying that one of the most successful BTCC super tourers ever was not a proper tourer. Even though it was run by an F1 team.
Again, I believe daz90 is referring to the hatchbacks/coupes as being not "true" touring cars.
Old 3 Jan 2004, 08:45 (Ref:826286)   #11
daz90
Racer

England
England
Quote:
Originally posted by kmchow
No, I believe daz90 is referring to Germany's V8Star series which had the 2nd generation Mondeo, Jag S Type, VW Passat, Lexus GS300 racing in it. However, I believe it was the Opel Omega that raced in it. Of course, none of the cars actually carried a manufacturer badge, but it's obvious which brand each car belonged to.
--------------------------------------
yes thats the 1, couldent think of the series name, i beleive its collapsed? i wasent to sure if it was a vectra, i only saw glimpses of the series on motors tv.
----------------------------------------
Again, I believe daz90 is referring to the hatchbacks/coupes as being not "true" touring cars.
---------------------------------------------

yes that is the point i was trying to make, the astra has been the most succesfull mark, except for the sierra cosworth. i just wouldent mind seeing vauxhall using the vectra saloon, although they may lose their dominence if they do, a new car might not automaticly be the best, but that would only help provide better racing and closenes between marks, i hope.
Old 3 Jan 2004, 11:37 (Ref:826388)   #12
Andy Metcalf
Racer

England
Kings Lynn, Norfolk UK
Andy Metcalf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I did hear that there was a new Astra due out soon. Would VX Racing have to use the new model in that case if they opted for the Astra instead of the Vectra?

"Tomorrow, is what you make it"
Old 3 Jan 2004, 11:57 (Ref:826407)   #13
daz90
Racer

England
England
not sure, but the new astra mark wont have a coupe untill next year, if at all. its a new hatch,saloon and estate due july/august time. so thats over half way through the season, thats why they might opt for the vectra, thats out now and could do with the promotion, nothings set in concrete though, and as someone else ays there doing a head to head with both models.
Old 4 Jan 2004, 15:03 (Ref:827399)   #14
JEMMO
Racer

JEMMO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Triple Eight did race a new Vectra model, would it be ETCC spec?
Old 4 Jan 2004, 16:22 (Ref:827437)   #15
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Think I remember reading somewhere that the one they have built is a BTC Touring spec car.
Old 5 Jan 2004, 00:14 (Ref:827806)   #16
kmchow
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by daz90
not sure, but the new astra mark wont have a coupe untill next year, if at all. its a new hatch,saloon and estate due july/august time. so thats over half way through the season,
OTOH, perhaps they can have a long teasing period whereby the new Astra is on the track, but not in the showroom yet. Though I believe marketers say it's bad to keep customers anticipating something for so long and not be able to satisfy them. I guess it's useless to generate possible showroom traffic for a car that is not even in mass production yet.

Quote:
thats why they might opt for the vectra, thats out now and could do with the promotion, nothings set in concrete though, and as someone else ays there doing a head to head with both models.
Yeah, I agree that the Vectra may benefit more from PR than the Astra.

Last edited by kmchow; 5 Jan 2004 at 00:15.
Old 5 Jan 2004, 00:27 (Ref:827821)   #17
kmchow
Veteran

I'm suprised Vauxhall has still not announced which car--Astra or Vectra--they will race? I wonder if they are debating it still within Vauxhall or are they just purposely trying to keep outsiders from guessing. OTOH, to be fair, it probably is a very tough call? Race a proven championship winning and extinct platform versus struggling with a new and current platform.

At another website, I see Vauxhall has announced they have signed a 3rd driver. I wonder if he will race as part of a 3 car team or hopefully a satellite sponsor/team?

Last edited by kmchow; 5 Jan 2004 at 00:28.
Old 5 Jan 2004, 13:25 (Ref:828301)   #18
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by kmchow
OTOH, perhaps they can have a long teasing period whereby the new Astra is on the track, but not in the showroom yet.
If the car isn't in production it can't be homologated and therefore can't race.

Quote:
At another website, I see Vauxhall has announced they have signed a 3rd driver. I wonder if he will race as part of a 3 car team or hopefully a satellite sponsor/team?
See this thread. It will be a 3-car team, same as 2003.
Old 5 Jan 2004, 19:30 (Ref:828672)   #19
daz90
Racer

England
England
do opel have any plans to race a vectra anywhere else, ie other touring car series's, etcc or what ever other 1s there are
Old 6 Jan 2004, 19:18 (Ref:829761)   #20
j_t_8_8_8
Racer

Italy
Varese, Italy
j_t_8_8_8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
do opel have any plans to race a vectra anywhere else, ie other touring car series's, etcc or what ever other 1s there are

DTM!!
Old 6 Jan 2004, 20:00 (Ref:829785)   #21
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
I think daz90 was wondering if they were racing it anywhere else except the DTM...
Old 6 Jan 2004, 21:25 (Ref:829859)   #22
daz90
Racer

England
England
Quote:
Originally posted by touringlegend
I think daz90 was wondering if they were racing it anywhere else except the DTM...
yes, i was
Old 6 Jan 2004, 21:41 (Ref:829877)   #23
daz90
Racer

England
England
i also didnt realise that their was going to be a vectra racing for opel in the dtm, now to me that suggests that vauxhall may well do the same thing, even though the 2 cars are different beasts, the dtm is a v8 is it not?. and the btcc is a 2.0 ltr, both with different aero packages.

it looks as the germans have gone with the vectra because of the astra being replaced,i beleive the new astra is released in mainland europe before it is in britain.
Old 6 Jan 2004, 22:49 (Ref:829962)   #24
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
Opel have went with the Vectra as it suits the new for 2004, 4 door DTM rules. Probably the fact that the Astra is being replaced also suited them.
Old 7 Jan 2004, 03:16 (Ref:830141)   #25
kmchow
Veteran

I think for Opel the Vectra is the most up to date and modern vehicle around? The Astra and Omega are going to be replaced very soon. So that leaves just the Vectra?