Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > 10 Tenths Motorsport > Announcements and Feedback

Old 4 Mar 2009, 11:46 (Ref:2408757)   #1
Winchester
Rookie

United Kingdom
Hinckley, Leics - near Mallory Park
Winchester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Automatic News Feeds

I'm not sure I'm too happy with Crash.net spamming this board with their stories. They certainly don't need individual threads.
And we all know where Crash is should we wish to go on there and read their collection of cut-and-pasted press releases.
Mods can you have a look at this please?
Old 4 Mar 2009, 12:03 (Ref:2408762)   #2
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Agreed. My view (personal opinion) is that this forum should be for individuals to express their views and thoughts, and to highlight information for others to look at if they wish.

A thread purely dedicated to encouraging someone to visit a sponsor-backed website, while offering nothing to the existing forum here seems to go against the spirit of these public discussions.
Old 4 Mar 2009, 12:28 (Ref:2408774)   #3
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
stedevil has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Indeed, I can't say I liked this spamming either. At least make it spam only to 1 thread per TCC is you have cut some sponsorship deal or something.
Old 4 Mar 2009, 12:33 (Ref:2408779)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Crash is a partner of the forum. Have you commented on any of the stories or just ignored them?
Old 4 Mar 2009, 12:38 (Ref:2408785)   #5
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It looks a bit bad right now as this feature was only turned on yesterday - hence quite a few stories popped up at once.

We haven't had another story since that so I would ask that you take this into consideration and give it a few weeks to 'bed in'.
Old 4 Mar 2009, 14:39 (Ref:2408860)   #6
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
stedevil has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
or just ignored them?
Ignored, but unfortunately this forum doesnt have a "mark all threads as read", which in combination with a spambot is a bit annoying.
Old 4 Mar 2009, 14:42 (Ref:2408865)   #7
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
As suggested, will give it a chance.
However, if the forum begins to feel like an advertising medium as opposed to a discussion facility I'll be off elsewhere.
Old 4 Mar 2009, 14:51 (Ref:2408871)   #8
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
As suggested, will give it a chance.
However, if the forum begins to feel like an advertising medium as opposed to a discussion facility I'll be off elsewhere.
Or you could just click on the profile for Crash.Net and then pick the heading "User Lists" and then "Add to Ignore List".

Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend View Post
It looks a bit bad right now as this feature was only turned on yesterday - hence quite a few stories popped up at once.
The feed is set to add a maximum of 5 new stories each time it looks, so the first time it grabbed 5. Now, unless it's a particularly busy news period, should only add 1 or 2, or even NO new items. It's also set to check regularly through the day so there shouldn't be a sudden splurge of threads.
Old 4 Mar 2009, 15:07 (Ref:2408877)   #9
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't think it's a big deal. As long as it doesn't flood the forum with stories. A few here and there is fine and might spark discussion.
Old 4 Mar 2009, 15:09 (Ref:2408879)   #10
Winchester
Rookie

United Kingdom
Hinckley, Leics - near Mallory Park
Winchester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agree with Crmalcolm, will give it a chance but if it gets too bad I'll go elsewhere.
I go on websites to read motorsport news and I come on here for discussion and gossip.
And like I said a lot of Crash's stuff is just copied and pasted from other sites and press releases, which annoys me. I like the idea of what is basically a giant database of two and four-wheeled stories, but a bit more originality wouldn't go amiss.
I also see my thread title "spam bot" is now "crash.net news feed bot"
Old 4 Mar 2009, 15:14 (Ref:2408880)   #11
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnetON View Post
Or you could just click on the profile for Crash.Net and then pick the heading "User Lists" and then "Add to Ignore List".

I've tried that and I can still see them
Old 4 Mar 2009, 15:17 (Ref:2408883)   #12
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by stedevil View Post
Ignored, but unfortunately this forum doesnt have a "mark all threads as read", which in combination with a spambot is a bit annoying.
There is that button though
On the forum tools bit on the top bar
Old 4 Mar 2009, 15:34 (Ref:2408886)   #13
Peter Dunne
Tea Addict And Summoner Of Safety Cars
Veteran

Peter Dunne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPeter Dunne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would it be possible to give crash its own sub forum so all its posts could go in there and not clog the main forum?
Old 4 Mar 2009, 15:36 (Ref:2408890)   #14
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
That kinda defeats the whole object tho! The idea is to encourage people to read the article and then comment on it. If you hide it away in a sub forum then no one will read the story and it'll not therefore generate any interest in the forum! As a number of people have said it was only turned on yesterday so give it a few weeks to see how it works out before forming any opinions... better still, why not comment on the story and make the forum a better place?
Old 4 Mar 2009, 15:44 (Ref:2408895)   #15
Peter Dunne
Tea Addict And Summoner Of Safety Cars
Veteran

Peter Dunne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPeter Dunne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agreed. Give it a few weeks and then implement my plan

Seriously though, if you take the Nascar forum as an example, there are 13 crash threads in there. It doesn't seem to have the highest volume of posts on tenths, so how long will it be until the first page is full of crash threads? Would that not turn people off?
Old 4 Mar 2009, 16:38 (Ref:2408923)   #16
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Dunne View Post
...how long will it be until the first page is full of crash threads? Would that not turn people off?
As with all the new features we will evaluate this on an ongoing basis. Moderators can always decide to delete or merge threads if they feel they are counter-productive.
Old 4 Mar 2009, 17:18 (Ref:2408953)   #17
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
If I do that as suggested, will it ignore:

A) Only threads started by Crash.Net,
B) Only posts from Crash.Net, or
C) Any thread that contains a Crash.Net post ?
Old 4 Mar 2009, 17:29 (Ref:2408959)   #18
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
If I do that as suggested, will it ignore:

A) Only threads started by Crash.Net,
B) Only posts from Crash.Net, or
C) Any thread that contains a Crash.Net post ?
Have never used it myself, but allegedly it's B)
Old 4 Mar 2009, 17:42 (Ref:2408966)   #19
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Have never used it myself, but allegedly it's B)
Exactly. The Threads are still visible, you just can't read the post when you open one. So it's pointless to ignore the User.

I hope it disappears again soon. I come here for the forum and I'm perfectly capable to go to crash.net myself if I want to read their stories.
Old 4 Mar 2009, 17:50 (Ref:2408972)   #20
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
They are pretty up to speed with what can be done,. I cant imagine its an accident!
Old 4 Mar 2009, 18:18 (Ref:2408995)   #21
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It adds nothing, and should never have been introduced to begin with.
Old 4 Mar 2009, 18:24 (Ref:2408998)   #22
the sniper
Veteran

European Union
Birmingham
the sniper has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
The NASCAR sub-forum looks ridiculous now!
Old 4 Mar 2009, 19:08 (Ref:2409043)   #23
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Dunne View Post
Seriously though, if you take the Nascar forum as an example, there are 13 crash threads in there. It doesn't seem to have the highest volume of posts on tenths, so how long will it be until the first page is full of crash threads? Would that not turn people off?
That also shows that there weren't many turned on to it in the first place. Which is why we are trying something new there, to generate discussion points. The busiest forums don't have this at present.

Let's see...
Old 4 Mar 2009, 19:29 (Ref:2409073)   #24
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore View Post
That also shows that there weren't many turned on to it in the first place. Which is why we are trying something new there, to generate discussion points. The busiest forums don't have this at present.

Let's see...
Does that mean the WTCC & European is not one of the busiest forums?
Old 4 Mar 2009, 19:45 (Ref:2409086)   #25
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Any chance of a system that shows those "threads" in a smaller size compared to the normal ones (unless a human posts in them) and excludes them from the newest post thing on the side unless the post was by a human in that thread?