Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 16 Feb 2015, 17:44 (Ref:3505521)   #1
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Silverstone WEC Round 1 - Poster and 'Blurb'

I've just seen the Poster for the WEC Round 1 at Silverstone...It features #20 Porsche 919 coming out of a Union Jack background with #98 Aston Martin.

As a Graphic Artist I'm unimpressed...we all know that Silverstone is Britain...so why does it need a Union Flag? Okay an Aston Martin...but why a Porsche LMP1 when the Toyota won the World Championship title with a British driver who has raced at Silverstone since he was a 9yr old Karter, as a Formula Fordster, a Formula 3 driver, and Formula One driver and a winner of one of the most exciting 6 hour races there when his Peugoet 908 passed McNish's Audi to take the lead and win in 2009!

The Marketing blurb boasts 200 racing drivers...Naming Mark Webber, an Actor and someone else I forget the name of...but no mention of Britain's World Champion! As a racing father I'm totally unimpressed Silverstone!
Old 16 Feb 2015, 19:38 (Ref:3505549)   #2
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
maximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmaximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No Bias there then Rennen lol! I do see your point though, you would think Ant would get a mention being the 2014 title holder along with Seb.
Old 16 Feb 2015, 20:30 (Ref:3505558)   #3
YorkshireLad
Veteran

United Kingdom
skipton, north yorkshire
YorkshireLad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't find this image, which website is it on?

Tbh the last few years posters have been crap. And while we're been biased, last years Lemans tshirt was a crock of **** compared to the older years. Grr!
Old 16 Feb 2015, 20:46 (Ref:3505564)   #4
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
not bought any of the official t shirts for many years, i have quite a few and to bE honest some of the stalls sell older team shirts that our much better and a whole load cheaper
Old 16 Feb 2015, 20:48 (Ref:3505566)   #5
EricS
Racer

United States
Austin, TX
EricS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkshireLad View Post
I can't find this image, which website is it on?
http://www.fiawec.com/en/news/6-hour...aled_2894.html

I kinda like the artistic take on the UK flag, but the Photoshopped on cars looks cheesy.
Old 16 Feb 2015, 20:58 (Ref:3505569)   #6
morningview66
Racer

morningview66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmorningview66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think they should play more on it being the Touring Trophy.

I think the FIA/ACO stick to much to their 6hr structure. Gets a bit boring, I know it makes sense from a standardised championship point of view, but i would like to see some 1000kms @ Spa and Fuji etc!
Old 16 Feb 2015, 21:07 (Ref:3505572)   #7
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Maybe the answer to the question of 'why a 919' on the poster lies in another question- which of the major LMP players has their 'Driver Experience Centre' inside the circuit boundary?

And, regards drivers names- sadly more and more PR focuses solely on celebrity.....
Old 16 Feb 2015, 21:11 (Ref:3505573)   #8
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Sir Chris Hoy!
Old 16 Feb 2015, 21:35 (Ref:3505576)   #9
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had to laugh at the irony of a post complaining about a poster not mentioning the name of someone, not once mentioning his name...

While it would be great to have "the unmentionables" name on there, the fact is average joe punter probably doesn't know who he is, so why would that encourage them to attend? The people that do know "his" name will likely already have their tickets. This poster is to try and hype up the people who may or may not be attending.

It seems to be you want the poster to celebrate Anthony's success, but that is not its purpose. He has a trophy sitting at home that does that. Probably more than one.
Old 16 Feb 2015, 22:28 (Ref:3505593)   #10
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
You mean that pundit from Sky F1 is going to be there too?! Get me a ticket!

Sorry Rennen, I see your point completely, but I would assume they're just going to rotate through the cars twice each on their posters this year, more likely a random omission than a specific choice. I quite like the design, but I'm comparing that to the horror shows that were produced last year.

On your original point though, I thought the official Le Mans poster does Toyota a terrible disservice, it's basically hidden at the back despite the #1 car probably being the favourite at this point. That is a poster that looks very dictated by marketing budgets rather than sporting reasons.
Old 16 Feb 2015, 23:16 (Ref:3505609)   #11
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Whoever has the most money ... fill in the rest. I guess Porsche Dempsey and Webber might sway more ticket purchases than a 'local champion'
Old 17 Feb 2015, 00:20 (Ref:3505633)   #12
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennen View Post
I've just seen the Poster for the WEC Round 1 at Silverstone...It features #20 Porsche 919 coming out of a Union Jack background with #98 Aston Martin.

As a Graphic Artist I'm unimpressed...we all know that Silverstone is Britain...so why does it need a Union Flag? Okay an Aston Martin...but why a Porsche LMP1 when the Toyota won the World Championship title with a British driver who has raced at Silverstone since he was a 9yr old Karter, as a Formula Fordster, a Formula 3 driver, and Formula One driver and a winner of one of the most exciting 6 hour races there when his Peugoet 908 passed McNish's Audi to take the lead and win in 2009!

The Marketing blurb boasts 200 racing drivers...Naming Mark Webber, an Actor and someone else I forget the name of...but no mention of Britain's World Champion! As a racing father I'm totally unimpressed Silverstone!
Do a better one - and charge them for it.
Old 17 Feb 2015, 06:32 (Ref:3505689)   #13
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Davies View Post
On your original point though, I thought the official Le Mans poster does Toyota a terrible disservice, it's basically hidden at the back despite the #1 car probably being the favourite at this point. That is a poster that looks very dictated by marketing budgets rather than sporting reasons.
Le Mans 24h 2015 poster, proudly designed and brought to you by Nissan...
Old 17 Feb 2015, 08:55 (Ref:3505726)   #14
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
If Chris Hoy is there, then i'm in.
Old 17 Feb 2015, 10:11 (Ref:3505745)   #15
YorkshireLad
Veteran

United Kingdom
skipton, north yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikuni View Post
Le Mans 24h 2015 poster, proudly designed and brought to you by Nissan...

Wasn't it always the norm to show the past years winner from lmp1 and GTE categories? Everything's changing. I personally don't like the change, the Dunlop bridge isn't on the posters or stickers either.
Old 17 Feb 2015, 10:18 (Ref:3505746)   #16
YorkshireLad
Veteran

United Kingdom
skipton, north yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikuni View Post
I had to laugh at the irony of a post complaining about a poster not mentioning the name of someone, not once mentioning his name...

While it would be great to have "the unmentionables" name on there, the fact is average joe punter probably doesn't know who he is, so why would that encourage them to attend? The people that do know "his" name will likely already have their tickets. This poster is to try and hype up the people who may or may not be attending.

It seems to be you want the poster to celebrate Anthony's success, but that is not its purpose. He has a trophy sitting at home that does that. Probably more than one.

Ordinary people won't know if he isn't represented either.
Maybe a poster showing him with the years winning car leading the audi or porsche under the silverstone wing would of done more justice.

Example: joe bloggs would say to himself, hmm who's that chap on the offical poster?!
He's british, he won the championship, I think I might support his racing from now on... Etc.
Old 17 Feb 2015, 13:33 (Ref:3505790)   #17
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Thought this was a race thread but apparently some (?) British race fans pay more attention to how the race poster looks and whine about their missing champ than the fact that, for instance, top privateer Rebellion Racing will be skipping the first round of the championship....

Maybe the mods can add the word 'poster' to the title?
Old 17 Feb 2015, 15:55 (Ref:3505817)   #18
Nick Woodbury
Veteran

United States
New England
Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!
Personally, I really like this years Silverstone Poster. When in comparison to other years, this one is very clean and quite modern in graphic design. I Love the Union Jack theme in the background!

It certainly is much better than the 2011 Poster when the ILMC was in its heyday hehe! http://www.racingsportscars.com/cove...2011-09-11.jpg
Old 17 Feb 2015, 18:22 (Ref:3505853)   #19
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
Thought this was a race thread but apparently some (?) British race fans pay more attention to how the race poster looks and whine about their missing champ than the fact that, for instance, top privateer Rebellion Racing will be skipping the first round of the championship....

To be fair that's been discussed at length, although I can sympathize with the apparent focus on the perception rather than the reality. Silverstone is still a few weeks away so maybe a new thread will be made closer to the time.
Old 17 Feb 2015, 20:36 (Ref:3505902)   #20
insane014
Rookie

insane014 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Poster itself is not that bad, nice start though but it needs to be finished.

Like with any "unfamiliar" racing series its always a question do you rely on a badge or a driver. In this case they picked Porsche but here is one problem: nobody knows its a Porsche.

Proper poster needs all three LPM1 cars, actually make it for with their respective brand names under or over. Something like this:

TOP:
AUDI - NISSAN - TOYOTA - PROSCHE (big type)
in first battle of 2015 on

MIDDLE:
6 HOURS OF SILVERSTONE (HEADLINE GRAPHICS)

BOTTOM:
All four cars pictured on the grid with/without a single driver leaning on em with name of the highlighted drivers below the cars like
Webber vs Davidson vs .... (small type)

Or even better make two posters one with cars and one with drivers to go side by side.
Old 17 Feb 2015, 20:55 (Ref:3505907)   #21
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Wasn't there a run many moons ago of the winning manufacturer being featured on the ticket/poster for Le Mans? I think it went to pot when Nissan was featured in 1990. (IIRC).

Overall the design of the poster is alright. Better than some of the recent efforts. I really want to like the Le Mans posters and need to collect them, but they've not been up to it!

What about this one? No drivers. No cars. It's all about the race.

EDIT: I think my timing might be off as I've just seen that Jaguar were on the 1987 poster - so if I'm right about Nissan it wasn't a very long run
Old 17 Feb 2015, 21:06 (Ref:3505915)   #22
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
not bought any of the official t shirts for many years, i have quite a few and to bE honest some of the stalls sell older team shirts that our much better and a whole load cheaper
I bought a rather smart orange one last year, plus a Toyota shirt which was discounted near the end of the race!
Old 17 Feb 2015, 21:07 (Ref:3505916)   #23
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post

No it isn't. I will add something suitable.
Old 18 Feb 2015, 21:30 (Ref:3506315)   #24
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Silverstone WEC Round 1 - Poster and 'Blurb'

I've not posted about Rebellion, but I have posted a link to a 1957 poster. I am such a bad sportscar fan. I will punish myself by watching an F1 race. On BBC.
Old 18 Feb 2015, 21:58 (Ref:3506327)   #25
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennen View Post
Those three are the most marketable names in the event, no-one outside sportscar circles and some F1 nerds is gonna care if you have someone like Davidson up front.