Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > 10 Tenths Motorsport > Announcements and Feedback

Old 1 Mar 2003, 14:10 (Ref:521403)   #1
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Forum Changes

For the past 4-6 weeks we have been undertaking a review of the 10 Tenths Motorsport discussion forums. This review looked at all aspects of the overall package and we are pleased to announce that we have finally concluded the review.

We are pleased to announce that no really big changes were needed as this proves that things were running quite well all along but there is always room for improvement and a number of changes and improvements have been decided upon. I think you’ll agree, once you’ve had a few days to get used to the changes, that they are all a step in the right direction.

As part of the overall review we have spoken in great length to those who are currently responsible for the direction that the forum is taking – the long-suffering moderators and admins. Their feedback has been invaluable, as has the feedback provided by a handful of our more established members to whom we spoke, and you will notice a number of changes to the staff. We would like to welcome our new moderators, and thank those who have decided to step down for their sterling service.

New Forum: Motorsport Art & Photography

We have decided to open a new forum, ‘Motorsport Art & Photography’, and are delighted that two of the most respected members of this community have agreed to host. Andrew Kitson is a renowned artist in the motorsport field and Barry Ambrose is well known in paddocks (and burger vans?) up and down the country as a well-respected motorsport photographer. I cannot think of a better pair to moderate the new forum.

Changes To The Gravel Trap Forum

The most radical change though is reserved for the popular Gravel Trap forum. When the Gravel Trap was introduced it was introduced as a place where our forum members could meet and get to know each other, away from the general motorsport forums. The original idea being that this would be our ‘pub’ where we could go to relax and enjoy a laugh, away from the stresses and strains of battle on the main forums. This worked well but, over time, this changed and we were having people sign up purely and simply to post flame bait on the Gravel Trap. This is not something that we wish to see and we have felt for sometime that a change was needed.

In recent months there has been calls for a lightening up of the way in which we moderate the Gravel Trap to allow slightly more risqué posts in line with the sort of thing that you would hear down your local pub. However we were keen to keep to our ‘family forum’ policy, as we did not wish to cause offence to anyone. With the Gravel Trap open and visible to all – including minors – we had no option but to come down hard on posts which were not necessarily suitable for our family audience. However we are not Walt Disney and took on board everything that people said about this policy.

Finally, we are aware that a number of posters post numerous nonsensical one or two word replies to topics in order to artificially increase their post count. I have never really understood this one but it does occur. To prevent this we are going to switch off the post count feature in the Gravel Trap. This will mean that all posts that you make in any of the general forums will add to your post count, but not those in the Gravel Trap. We hope that this will encourage meaningful discussion.

We have taken these issues and, we hope, come up with a solution that will benefit us all. We are still not going to allow blatantly offensive posts to stand, nor are we going to put up with libellous content. What we are saying is that we are going to take the ‘local pub’ analogy another step forwards and restrict access to those who are happy to be part of it. A simple rule of thumb to keep in mind when deciding whether or not a post is suitable will be simple – do not post anything that you would not say to someone face to face in a pub. If you think you’d get a slap in a pub for saying something then you will probably get a slap from our moderators if you say it here! We trust you all to be adults about this newly relaxed atmosphere but reserve the right to ask you to leave if you step over that line and start upsetting our other regulars. We are trusting you all to act as adults and you have to repay that trust by acting as adults. If you prove that you cannot act as an adult then we will have no option but to remove you.

So, what is this change of which we speak? Ingeniously simple really:
  • Un-registered/Not logged-in == Gravel Trap not visible at all.
  • Junior member (less than 50 posts) == Gravel Trap can be read, but not replied to.
  • Senior member (more than 50 posts) == Gravel Trap can be read and replied to as it can currently.
So how is this going to improve things? Simple. By preventing minors from accidentally stumbling across content that they may find offensive we are able to relax our ‘family atmosphere.’ The idea of allowing new members to post in the Gravel Trap only once they have made 50 posts is to allow them time to watch and learn the dynamic of this special forum before jumping in with both feet.

All of these ideas were suggested by the Gravel Trap moderators and were discussed at length by the other staff. We were all in unanimous agreement that the changes should make a real improvement to an already fascinating and unique forum. The moderator team in the Gravel Trap will remain as Diabando, Jay & Maisie, but Amoffatt will join them. I think that this will be an excellent team of people who will work very well together – each of them possess their own skills and I think they complement each other exceedingly well.

Other Improvements

A number of you have commented on the increased speed of the forum of late. This is due to the efforts of one of our members (ChrisY) who has been working tirelessly with us to move us to a shiny new server of our own. We are delighted with the results and, I think you’ll agree, we are now the fastest motorsport forums by far. These improvements will continue with a completely new forum package coming soon that will see many new features and a further speed increase. The new version of vBulletin (3.0) will be completely compatible with this version so, don’t worry, you will not need to re-register or anything like that.

Enjoy.
Old 1 Mar 2003, 15:28 (Ref:521417)   #2
Maxmil
Veteran

United States
New England, USA
Maxmil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's a good program for the Gravel Trap. It really is a great "Pub", but the changes you are making are going to be improvements, and should make it even better.
Old 1 Mar 2003, 15:41 (Ref:521427)   #3
BigFella
Rookie

BigFella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
agree with the changes, am registered and logged in ( or I couldn't reply) but cant see the Gravel trap. Help please.
Old 1 Mar 2003, 15:45 (Ref:521431)   #4
BigFella
Rookie

BigFella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ahh, have just found the line about "to be implemented when software upgrade is implemented"
will just have to go and post mindless 2 word answers in other forums to get my count up to 50!!!!!
Old 1 Mar 2003, 16:03 (Ref:521443)   #5
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
These changes look very good indeed !.......i can see plenty of thought has gone into it and it should help keep this place as good and as friendly as it is already .

Nice one
Old 1 Mar 2003, 18:18 (Ref:521541)   #6
Number Juan
Veteran

Tajikstan
Sussex, UK
Number Juan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
like the idea of capping post counts in the GT - i hope it doesn't back-fire and descend other popular forums into GT-Like attitudes of trying to get that post count higher, though i have full faith in the competent staff on board to nip this in the bud.

hopefully these changes will disband the thought police a little more and encourage a more adult (yet still keeping a family theme) environment without being rude, too risque and out-of-touch.

Here must all distrust be left;
All cowardice must here be dead
Old 1 Mar 2003, 19:42 (Ref:521588)   #7
sss
Veteran

England
life is to short, dance naked
sss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
why do we need a post count anyway?
Old 2 Mar 2003, 19:17 (Ref:522595)   #8
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not 100% sure the changes are going to work. GT is the best section of the forum and it will just increase pointless posts/threads on the other areas.

It was fine the way it was. In my view, all of the changes that have been made have lowered the forum for me. I may soon not come and post here.
Old 2 Mar 2003, 19:29 (Ref:522602)   #9
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
We have to remember that 10-Tenths sole purpose isn't to discuss music, what you had for tea today etc, it's here for motorsport though we do recognise that a general forum is needed for off topic posts.
Old 2 Mar 2003, 19:41 (Ref:522609)   #10
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

I can see your worries, but I don't see why it needed these needless complications - you're the bosses.
Old 2 Mar 2003, 20:55 (Ref:522681)   #11
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You probably won't notice any significant changes to the Gravel Trap. They're mostly to lighten the atmosphere a litte and make our (mods) lives a little easier. It will still be the "pub" of these forums. A place to discuss things outside of motorsport, to get something off your chest, to joke around, be silly sometimes and just have a good time!
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 2 Mar 2003, 21:25 (Ref:522722)   #12
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Well, you can't please all the people all the time.

I think the changes are great, and will help bring the Gravel trap back to the great place it used to be.

Old 2 Mar 2003, 22:18 (Ref:522801)   #13
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
This concerns me greatly

Quote:
Originally posted by Wrex
Well, you can't please all the people all the time.

I think the changes are great, and will help bring the Gravel trap back to the great place it used to be.

At first, I thought it was a great idea, but on careful and extended reflection, I have strong reservations about this. To me, the F1 forum is by far the most important room in this forum, and the number of serious threads and posts supports this.
We have had, over the years, posters invading this place to post obscene posts against drivers as well as other members, as well as new posters coming to 10-tenths and behaving in a less than acceptable manner by attacking posters and starting fights, and calling names.
So why are we elevating The Gravel Trap above the F1 or any other forum? I could argue that new members to 10-tenths should post 50 sensible posts (well this rules out AMoffat right away ) in the Gravel Trap before being permitted to post in the F1 forum, and probably 100 before being permitted to post in the Announcements and Feedback forum.

Old 2 Mar 2003, 22:55 (Ref:522860)   #14
Maisie
Veteran

Maisie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Because, Valve, this site is primarily a motorsport forum - the reason we're putting the limit on the Gravel Trap is to weed out those who are just here for the social life without actually having an interest in motorsport. Yes, people do post flames etc in the F1 forum, but then they've done it in the Gravel Trap and some other forums too - as long as the moderators of the relevant forum are on the ball, and the supermods can ban perpetrators in time, I don't see the problem.

It would be a shame to limit the Announcements and Feedback forum - we like to think that all our members are equal whether they have 50 posts, 500 or 5,000, and it's not unknown for a total newbie to post in Announcements to say who much they enjoy the site. It would be a real shame to restrict people from expressing their feelings about what is, after all, their forum.
Old 2 Mar 2003, 23:01 (Ref:522864)   #15
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Valve. Firstly, The F1 forum being the 'most important room' is a matter of opinion only, and most here at ten-tenths would didagree with you.

Secondly, we are not 'elevating the GT above any other forum'. This change was implimented to resolve some issues that are exclusive to the GT.

As for posting rubbish in the F1 forum, how many posts of yours have we left in there?

Nothing will change in F1 mate, post some rubbish in there now and see how quick we get rid of it.
Old 2 Mar 2003, 23:05 (Ref:522871)   #16
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are many here that would happily do away with the F1 forum .
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 2 Mar 2003, 23:12 (Ref:522881)   #17
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Be nice Jay
Old 3 Mar 2003, 00:32 (Ref:522962)   #18
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by Maisie
Because, Valve, this site is primarily a motorsport forum - the reason we're putting the limit on the Gravel Trap is to weed out those who are just here for the social life without actually having an interest in motorsport.
Oh!! my mistake. I was under the mistaken impression that the the idea of allowing new members to post in the Gravel Trap only once they have made 50 posts is to allow them time to watch and learn the dynamic of this special forum before jumping in with both feet.

Silly me.

Wrex and Jay, this is what I posted: To me, the F1 forum is by far the most important room in this forum, and the number of serious threads and posts supports this.
A glance at the records of threads and posts in the F! forum support this. There are some posters who are unaware of the dynamics of this special F1 forum, it's friendly, insult and abuse free atmosphere, and this is why I argued that:new members to 10-tenths should post 50 sensible posts (well this rules out AMoffat right away ) in the Gravel Trap before being permitted to post in the F1 forum.
Old 3 Mar 2003, 06:45 (Ref:523193)   #19
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am behind the new changes, especially those to the gravel trap. It was becoming very annoying seeing people reply with "I agree" or "yeah" or "" on every thread. A post count is nice, and it's interested to pass milestones, but it shouldn't be the reason for posting.

Keep up the good work, I adore this site
Old 3 Mar 2003, 10:29 (Ref:523298)   #20
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Valve Bounce
Oh!! my mistake...

Wrex and Jay, this is what I posted... and this is why I argued that:new members to 10-tenths should post 50 sensible posts (well this rules out AMoffat right away ) in the Gravel Trap before being permitted to post in the F1 forum.
You are of cause aware of the rule that prohibits attacking another member of the forum aren't you?

I dislike those emicon things, or whatever they are called.
Old 3 Mar 2003, 11:11 (Ref:523318)   #21
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Jay
There are many here that would happily do away with the F1 forum .
Its doing that to itself Jay. But I agree with Wrex. We really should try to be nice to them.
Old 3 Mar 2003, 11:28 (Ref:523326)   #22
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by AMoffat
You are of cause aware of the rule that prohibits attacking another member of the forum aren't you?

I dislike those emicon things, or whatever they are called.
Hey Buddy!! No Offence intended. That was a joke between mates - and I only ribbed you because I am not alone to rib you in 10-tenths. If this has upset you, please accept my apology. Please PM me to let me know and I will ask Craig to remove that joke. Sorry, very sorry.
That blue fellow just looks like a panicky Charlie Brown.
Old 3 Mar 2003, 18:35 (Ref:523686)   #23
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why does this forum need to be different. No other one restricts its members this much.

Its becoming more of a strict boarding house than a fun place to come and chat.

Why should we have to log in, just to check GT. It my main place to check what is happening. Then AND ONLY then do I visit the rest of the forum. GT always gives a good impression as to what the other forums are talking about and whether its necessary to sign in a post or not.

I feel its a waste of time to sign in just to check GT.
Old 3 Mar 2003, 18:44 (Ref:523692)   #24
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
As Maisie has already explained this is first and foremost a Motorsports Forum. The Gravel Trap was never part of the original plan and only added as a place to offer some light relief.

There are those members (myself included at times) who would prefer that we didn't have the Gravel Trap at all. If you are coming here mostly to read Gravel Trap then you are probably in the wrong place anyhow.
Old 3 Mar 2003, 19:00 (Ref:523704)   #25
Chris Y
Nature's servant
Veteran

United Kingdom
Over there, over here
Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by hakkiman
Why does this forum need to be different. No other one restricts its members this much.
You obviously don't get to many other discussion forums. A lot of them insist you log in before you see anything

Quote:
Why should we have to log in, just to check GT. It my main place to check what is happening. Then AND ONLY then do I visit the rest of the forum. GT always gives a good impression as to what the other forums are talking about and whether its necessary to sign in a post or not.
Why not just log in anyway?, that way you don't have a problem. You're just making problems for yourself..