Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > 10 Tenths Motorsport > Announcements and Feedback

Closed Thread

Old 20 Oct 2004, 04:23 (Ref:1129008)   #51
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Clear out your cookies and temp internet files. And start again. Oh and welcome to the forum Jtel.
Old 20 Oct 2004, 06:32 (Ref:1129032)   #52
JteL
Rookie

JteL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is only happening on ten-tenths and only since the recent changes.

It is a definate slow up - the main ten-tenths banner shows up then sits there - like I said - it *looks* like it is attempting to connect to external servers (google ads do this else where which is the primary reason we ditched them from all of our web sites (plus, have you actually tried to get paid for them yet???)
Old 20 Oct 2004, 06:39 (Ref:1129035)   #53
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I had that (sometimes still get it) but if you try what I suggested it does help.

BTW. You only have two posts thus I guess you are usually visiting as a guest. What made you sign on? (Only out of interst).
Old 20 Oct 2004, 07:06 (Ref:1129052)   #54
JteL
Rookie

I forgot to mention - I had already done that - and logged on from a totally brand new XP Pro installation with the same result - the ten-tenths banner is displayed and then it just stops. As I said - this only started arund 10 days ago and only affects this site. I run around 10 different motor sport web sites including two forums and none have this sort of problem.

I have been monitoring this site ever since one of your ex-partners booted one of my employees 'on a whim' and refused to give an adequate reason - any reason actually. Usually I do not post to any site but these posts are about problems with the site - nothing more.
Old 20 Oct 2004, 07:15 (Ref:1129059)   #55
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Hmm.

I run XP at home and 2000 at work. I did experience it at both locations but not anymore.

Peculiar.
Old 20 Oct 2004, 07:51 (Ref:1129085)   #56
JteL
Rookie

Well tracing the connections the pages attempt to make - the one causing the biggest problem is to 82.195.135.148. It slows right down and, although not losing packets, is causing a problem.

But without digging into it too much further, it is obvious that the google ads are slowing it down (again, something we noticed from Australian sites - and, in typical fashion, Google don't even want to kow about it.)
Old 20 Oct 2004, 08:04 (Ref:1129097)   #57
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by JteL
Well tracing the connections the pages attempt to make - the one causing the biggest problem is to 82.195.135.148. It slows right down and, although not losing packets, is causing a problem.
That IP is of the primary site web server. Interestingly yours is the only complaint of slowness since the change over. Our staff users who are in locations as diverse as UK, Ireland, Europe, US and Australia have reported a marked improvement in the response times from the site and the overall availability. The primary server has over 5Gb of connectivity to the internet (obviously this is limited by the 100Mb network connection to the hosting core) but we feel the performance has improved considerably.
Old 20 Oct 2004, 08:52 (Ref:1129147)   #58
JteL
Rookie

Once you get over the initial 'pregnant pause' the pause displays very very quickly - almost as if it is caching the page before displaying it.

But, like to bring up this page for a reply, it took 8 seconds from the finsl display of the ten-tenths logo until anything else displayed.
Old 20 Oct 2004, 08:54 (Ref:1129150)   #59
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
what setting do you have in your "check for newer version of stored pages"?
Old 20 Oct 2004, 09:33 (Ref:1129194)   #60
JteL
Rookie

Automatic.

Going to User Profile pages here brings up the pages in a much quicker fasion - the 'pause' only appears to happen on the forum indexes and forum thread pages - but is definately there.

I just connected from a machine that has never connected to ten-tenths before - the delay is also there and around 11 seconds. Even on subsequent refreshes or displaying different forum indexes.
Old 20 Oct 2004, 10:17 (Ref:1129252)   #61
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Are you always connecting from the same carrier?
Old 20 Oct 2004, 12:30 (Ref:1129396)   #62
JteL
Rookie

No - Cable is via local Optus Cable, dial up is via Optus dial up servers and satellite connection is via Telstra/BigPond.

All exhibit the same symptoms.

Different machines as well - Cable is via a desktop unit; dial up from a notebook and satellite from the notebook and a totall seperate desktop unit.

Also - cable via switch and router but dial up is directly through modem.
Old 20 Oct 2004, 12:44 (Ref:1129408)   #63
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
Very weird then - no-one else seems to be encountering the problem.
Old 20 Oct 2004, 13:35 (Ref:1129459)   #64
JteL
Rookie

No one else is having the problem or you aren't aware of anyone else having the problem? From discussions on another forum I believe that others ARE having these problems - maybe they just don't feel comfortabe discussing them given previous actions here whenever anyone raises an issue?

I would have to say, though, given the amount of JavaScript in each page and the new calls being made to PHP scripts - just how much is this slowing things down?

For example:

Normal PHP is not the fastest of languages - is it possible that the move to these extended PHP calls is part of the problem?

Last edited by JteL; 20 Oct 2004 at 13:37.
Old 20 Oct 2004, 13:43 (Ref:1129469)   #65
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
JteL,
  1. Please do not post scripts to the site.
  2. Since you seem to have quite a bit of experience in this area then you should be able to appreciate that if only one user complains of a problem, then the most likely explanation is a problem with the user. The first conclusion is not going to be "oh there must be a global epidemic".
  3. If you are aware of other users who are having this problem, then please ask them to post here or PM the staff. The more data we can gather, the more likely it is we can find a solution. At present, we're only aware of yourself and as such we have no evidence that the problem is affecting multiple users.
  4. We deal courteously with everyone, provided they deal courteously with us. An old-fashioned conceit perhaps, but I'm far less inclined to assist someone if they're snide, rude, aggressive or otherwise quite obviously going out of their way to be unpleasant.
Old 20 Oct 2004, 13:59 (Ref:1129486)   #66
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Try accessing the forum from this link and let me know the response times. This template removes the advertising blocks.
Old 20 Oct 2004, 14:16 (Ref:1129509)   #67
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Blech! But fast.
Old 20 Oct 2004, 14:28 (Ref:1129524)   #68
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
Try http://tentenths.com/forum/?styleid=194 instead Peter.
Old 20 Oct 2004, 14:33 (Ref:1129535)   #69
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Yep that's fast too. And now I've got to reset my cookies.
Old 20 Oct 2004, 14:43 (Ref:1129548)   #70
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
Don't get too used to that style, it's going to be deleted later
Old 20 Oct 2004, 14:50 (Ref:1129554)   #71
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A few glitches in the past ten minutes.
Old 20 Oct 2004, 14:51 (Ref:1129555)   #72
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
Known issue, software upgrade was in progress
Old 20 Oct 2004, 14:54 (Ref:1129559)   #73
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good stuff
Old 20 Oct 2004, 14:56 (Ref:1129563)   #74
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
I've not seen any problems since the RAM upgrade was added last week and it is now running the fastest I have ever seen. Only problem I noticed is that if you reply to a message via a "quote" or "full options" the top banner on the new page loads and then it hangs for about 10 seconds. Apart from that all seems fine.
edited: just timed it and it is now only about 5seconds so not a problem.

Last edited by Tim Falce; 20 Oct 2004 at 14:58.
Old 20 Oct 2004, 15:00 (Ref:1129565)   #75
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
Quote:
Originally posted by falcemob
I've not seen any problems since the RAM upgrade was added last week and it is now running the fastest I have ever seen. Only problem I noticed is that if you reply to a message via a "quote" or "full options" the top banner on the new page loads and then it hangs for about 10 seconds. Apart from that all seems fine.
edited: just timed it and it is now only about 5seconds so not a problem.
We THINK this is down to the load sequence where the browser is downloading all the topic icons and smilies. We've still to test this theory but it seems that these are the only differences in the server output for a quote/full reply.
Closed Thread