Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 12 Nov 2004, 14:24 (Ref:1151596)   #1
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Kudos to Gollin?

Autosport suggests that Fabrizio Gollin has pulled out of the final GT round at Zhuhai because co-driver Luca Cappellari cannot make it. Consequently, if Gollin drove, he would be solo Champion.

However, Fabrizio has voluntarily withdrawn so that Luca can have a share in the title they won together.

If this is true, then bravissimo Fabrizio. A fine gesture.

Anyone remember how Porsche snuck an entry for Hans Stuck at the Norisring to give him the solo WDC in about 1985? Only Derek Bell found out, scrounged a drive, and beat him?
Old 12 Nov 2004, 14:39 (Ref:1151623)   #2
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Hard to say on this one. On the one hand, Gollin has pretty much carried Cappellari to the title and rather deserves it to himself. I also wonder how much of this is Gollin's decision and how much the influence of Cappellari (who I assume brings a fair wad of cash to BMS). On the other hand, endurance racing is all about team-work and I usually think that both halves of a driver pairing should win a title if they drive together.
Old 12 Nov 2004, 16:16 (Ref:1151713)   #3
simon c
Racer

simon c should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Kudos to Gollin?

Quote:
Originally posted by ensign14
Autosport suggests that Fabrizio Gollin has pulled out of the final GT round at Zhuhai because co-driver Luca Cappellari cannot make it. Consequently, if Gollin drove, he would be solo Champion.

However, Fabrizio has voluntarily withdrawn so that Luca can have a share in the title they won together.

If this is true, then bravissimo Fabrizio. A fine gesture.

Anyone remember how Porsche snuck an entry for Hans Stuck at the Norisring to give him the solo WDC in about 1985? Only Derek Bell found out, scrounged a drive, and beat him?
It was 86, but was also a round of the Supercup, which Stuck was committed to contest anyway. From moment the single driver format for the race was announced the factory was candid in its intentions, and nothing was underhand. Bell finished a distant 11th in a JFR 956, Stuck a delayed 15th. I recall Stuck giving 100% for the remainder of the season when paired with Bell, knowing fully he would not be champion.
Old 12 Nov 2004, 17:28 (Ref:1151775)   #4
tblincoe
Veteran

tblincoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i applaud Gollin for this, a gentleman's gesture...
Old 12 Nov 2004, 17:46 (Ref:1151789)   #5
vs346
Racer

Greenland
vs346 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I concure, Gollin gets much respect in my book.
Old 12 Nov 2004, 17:48 (Ref:1151791)   #6
Trebor
Rookie

Trebor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The story is true.
Luca Cappellari had some business appointments.
That's the reason why Fabrizio Gollin don't start at the Zhuhai FIA GT race, but he is in Zhuhai to support the BMS Scuderia Italia boys.
New drivers of the number 2 car are Frédéric Dor, Luca Drudi and Nicola Cadei.

Fabrizio Gollin, 2004 Champion with Luca Cappellari, might not be driving this weekend - but he still managed to claim another win - in the charity go-kart event organised at the circuit this afternoon. Driving with Graham Nash Motorsport duo Paolo Ruberti and Luca Pirri Ardizzone, the three Italians won the event to get the weekend's events off to a good start !
Old 12 Nov 2004, 19:34 (Ref:1151873)   #7
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BSchneiderFan
Hard to say on this one. On the one hand, Gollin has pretty much carried Cappellari to the title and rather deserves it to himself. I also wonder how much of this is Gollin's decision and how much the influence of Cappellari (who I assume brings a fair wad of cash to BMS). On the other hand, endurance racing is all about team-work and I usually think that both halves of a driver pairing should win a title if they drive together.
Disagreed. Gollin is definitely the faster driver of the two, but Cappelari is more then a gentleman-driver. He sure knows how to handle that car as well, and I truely believe that it was a proper joint effort of these two that got them the title. Yes, Gollin has a bigger share in the title. But that share isn't big enough to say that he did it all and rule out Cappelari.

Oh, and it's definitely a gentlemanmove, lots of respect for this decision.