Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 19 Jul 2005, 10:32 (Ref:1358465)   #1
joe rossi
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
joe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjoe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The infamous ITV ad break....

Ofcoms response

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/article/ds22709.html

well done everybody who complained!
Old 19 Jul 2005, 10:40 (Ref:1358468)   #2
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
I think that they have learned from their mistakes. Since then, I get the impression that they have been trying and get all 5(?) advert breaks over and done with well before the closing stages.
Old 19 Jul 2005, 10:40 (Ref:1358469)   #3
Kidzer
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Kidzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKidzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quality, well done to all of us

Only 126 complaints though?
Old 19 Jul 2005, 11:03 (Ref:1358478)   #4
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
YAY! glad i got myself in the 'elite' 126....
Old 19 Jul 2005, 11:54 (Ref:1358511)   #5
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bloody right too! They've got no excuse to let this happen again.
Old 19 Jul 2005, 12:02 (Ref:1358527)   #6
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidzer
Quality, well done to all of us

Only 126 complaints though?
I would think that is 126 complaints to Ofcom themselves, ITV must have got thousands.
Old 19 Jul 2005, 12:31 (Ref:1358554)   #7
joe rossi
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
joe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjoe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcemob
I would think that is 126 complaints to Ofcom themselves, ITV must have got thousands.
That's correct..ITV got about 3000, I think
Old 19 Jul 2005, 14:11 (Ref:1358625)   #8
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
ITV made a mistake, people complained, ITV apologised and ensured it wouldn't happen again. Any excessive punishment from OFCOM would be unfair under the circumstances.
Old 19 Jul 2005, 16:31 (Ref:1358711)   #9
beau1
Veteran

Wales
Swansea,Wales
beau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i miss it on the BBC. The fleetwood mac song at the begining used to sent shivers down my spine. Plus there were no adverts.ahh bliss
Old 21 Jul 2005, 17:05 (Ref:1360248)   #10
pD F1
Racer

pD F1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by beau1
i miss it on the BBC. The fleetwood mac song at the begining used to sent shivers down my spine. Plus there were no adverts.ahh bliss

A stark contrast to the current claptrap!
Old 21 Jul 2005, 17:12 (Ref:1360256)   #11
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by beau1

You were 6 when the BBC last showed a Grand Prix.

I'd suggest there's no way you can have much memory of it - and certainly not enough to make an objective analysis of its merits.
Old 21 Jul 2005, 17:15 (Ref:1360260)   #12
IL LEONE
Racer

United Kingdom
London
IL LEONE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The days when paying your TV license seemed worth it: F1 BBC with Murray & Hunt.
Old 21 Jul 2005, 17:20 (Ref:1360267)   #13
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by IL LEONE
The days when paying your TV license seemed worth it: F1 BBC with Murray & Hunt.

The glory days indeed.

No live qualifying.

Many races as highlights only.

Many dipped in and out of to show cricket, horse racing, tennis.

Marvellous.

Old 21 Jul 2005, 17:24 (Ref:1360271)   #14
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
maximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmaximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The BBC had no ad breaks..... And thats about it. I agree with k-b on this. (Although "the chain" by Fleetwood mac was pretty special too!)

However, I wonder what the BBC would do now if they got the coverage back?
Old 21 Jul 2005, 17:32 (Ref:1360276)   #15
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Ah, but the beebs coverage got more comprehensive - the quantity went up and up and was at the same level when ITV took over. They built the sport.

Perhaps ITV have gone even longer (more build up). Factor out the advert times and it is little different. Even ignoring the adverts (sort of out of ITV's control) the quality has decreased now. Dumbed down no question.

Whenever we get this topic I cite the same thing, but I shall do it again. I shudder to think of how ITV would have covered Imola '94. The beeb's live coverage was perfect in the conditions (noted at the time for being superior to any other countries) and their 'highlights' show with Steve Rider introducing it was perfect in its content, emphasis and emotion.
Old 21 Jul 2005, 17:38 (Ref:1360281)   #16
IL LEONE
Racer

United Kingdom
London
IL LEONE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
The glory days indeed.

No live qualifying.

Many races as highlights only.

Many dipped in and out of to show cricket, horse racing, tennis.

Marvellous.

Maybe just maybe I am looking back a little too fondly but the commentary from Murray & Hunt was fabulous, entertaining, often funny which IMHO outweighed the dull & dreary reporting from ITV. Now time to time we have the occasional dull race, listening to Murray & Co often made them a little more digestible. Come 2010 I hope the beeb make another bid for it.
Old 21 Jul 2005, 18:09 (Ref:1360298)   #17
beau1
Veteran

Wales
Swansea,Wales
beau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
You were 6 when the BBC last showed a Grand Prix.

I'd suggest there's no way you can have much memory of it - and certainly not enough to make an objective analysis of its merits.
Ever heard of something called tape.............
Old 21 Jul 2005, 18:59 (Ref:1360329)   #18
Hip Priest
Racer

Hip Priest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Got to agree with KB on this one.

I think people tend to gaze back through rose tinted spectacles when thinking of the BBC coverage.

It did have some benefits over ITV's coverage (no adverts, intro music that didn't make you want to kick your telly in) but on the whole i think ITV produce a better show.

On a lighter note it always makes me laugh when people complain that BBC had Murray & Hunt and ITV don't. Does nobody realise that Murray has retired and James Hunt has been dead for 12 years? Hardly the fault of ITV!
Old 21 Jul 2005, 23:27 (Ref:1360496)   #19
joe rossi
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore

Whenever we get this topic I cite the same thing, but I shall do it again. I shudder to think of how ITV would have covered Imola '94. The beeb's live coverage was perfect in the conditions (noted at the time for being superior to any other countries) and their 'highlights' show with Steve Rider introducing it was perfect in its content, emphasis and emotion.
I can just imagine Jim Rosenthal..."trouble for Senna there by the looks of it...but anyway, Shelly's got trouble too down at the Rovers...Coronation Street will be up next after this break"
Old 22 Jul 2005, 07:45 (Ref:1360620)   #20
Hip Priest
Racer

Hip Priest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe rossi
I can just imagine Jim Rosenthal..."trouble for Senna there by the looks of it...but anyway, Shelly's got trouble too down at the Rovers...Coronation Street will be up next after this break"
Great post!

Although i enjoy the ITV coverage, i have to admit that the regular references to Corrie are rather surreal.
Old 22 Jul 2005, 11:35 (Ref:1360743)   #21
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Maybe in Coronation street they don't have ad-breaks and can watch the GPs without interuption........or is that Eastenders?
Old 23 Jul 2005, 10:26 (Ref:1361340)   #22
muzza4ever
Racer

England
Grim up North, UK
muzza4ever should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The focus during a football match lay with the ball which was the same for the actual spectators at a match. In motor racing, spectators only saw brief glimpses of the action from static positions, whereas the television coverage shows many points of action and follows many different focus points showing, where possible, the most interesting and exciting action. This meant that coverage was switched from one action point to another and any exciting action not seen by viewers, whether due to the taking of a commercial break or from events of interest occurring at the same time, were always replayed as soon as practical.
I find it interesting that ITV tried to say that because the spectators at a motor racing event they see separate and isolated "points of action" that therefore they can have breaks when they want effectively.

I appreciate that ITV is paid for via advertising but surely there's no reason why the majority of ads couldn't be handled pre and post race and cut down the number of ads during the race to 2.

They did apologise for the mistake. For me there are many presenter related problems with the coverage, but hey it seems ITV don't want to "listen" to that...
Old 23 Jul 2005, 10:56 (Ref:1361354)   #23
Kicking-back
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzza4ever

I appreciate that ITV is paid for via advertising but surely there's no reason why the majority of ads couldn't be handled pre and post race and cut down the number of ads during the race to 2.
Yes there is.

A massive reason.

Advertisers want their adverts shown at the points where people are watching, which is during the race, not during the build up and post race shows.

During the post race show, 10 000 people switch off every second.
Old 23 Jul 2005, 12:19 (Ref:1361420)   #24
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There shouldn't be adverts. Football games don't have adverts here and so don't any of the MotoGP races. Yet, F1 always gets cut off twice or three times. Probably the most important moment is the start, so why not stick the most paying ads right before the formation lap?
Old 23 Jul 2005, 12:40 (Ref:1361444)   #25
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Yes there is.

A massive reason.

Advertisers want their adverts shown at the points where people are watching, which is during the race, not during the build up and post race shows.

During the post race show, 10 000 people switch off every second.
So why don't football matches have adverts stuck in during an attacking move or a penalty shootout?

They only show adverts during pre, mid and post match analysis. Yet everyone is probably making a cup of tea or grabbing a beer at those points.