Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 15 Nov 2005, 16:56 (Ref:1461491)   #1
Ian Lewis
Veteran

England
Hartford
Ian Lewis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oulton Park Marshals Trackday

Just like to thank everyone who turned up today to make the Marshals trackday a success.

Thanks to Mike Newton and Tommy Erdos for driving the Osprey- sorry I broke it!!

Thanks also to Blakey and his band of MX5 buddies.

More thanks to the TR and spider guys (sorry didnt catch your names)

We had just the one casualty! Druids and TVRs don't mix.

Here's to next years??
Old 15 Nov 2005, 17:33 (Ref:1461519)   #2
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
deadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I too would like to say thanks for a brilliant day - thanks to the marshals stood out on a freezing November day, so we could have a mad few hours.

Thanks to the MaX5 guys - lots of laps, at speed - only had to use my side window as the windscreen twice

It's amazing how tough the track is on the cars - 2 laps and my Focus was saying 'enough'

Ian - you didn't mention the fatality at Island. The murderer IS known but won't be named and shamed at the moment. Although apparently, the poor animal didn't know which way to run, so the driver in question nailed him. If however it is identified as a squirrel not a rabbit that perished, things will CHANGE.....

I'd hate to be the TVR owner, having to explain that to the wife!
Old 15 Nov 2005, 17:46 (Ref:1461528)   #3
jim69
Racer

jim69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ian, I am not sure if you broke the car or I did.
We were dissapointed that not everybody got the opertunity for a ride in the Osprey, these things happen to race cars as we are all aware.

I have already asked Mike if he would be prepared to bring the car to another marsahls track day. Once I get the dates I will discuss it with him.

Once again sorry for any dissapointment.
Old 15 Nov 2005, 18:40 (Ref:1461558)   #4
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dissapointment? hell no! There was no way everyone would have got time to have a go, but tbh it didn't seem to matter as i was having a ball in my 106, the Ferrari and of course the Mx5. I enjoyed Anglesey loads, but this was special as i got to ride with guys that actually know what they are doing, and had immense fun in doing it too. It's certainly opened my eyes as to whats required to drive fast at Oulton, and a big thanks to all the guys who were out in the freezing cold, i did my best to wave at ya all on my last lap, but was busy squeeling tyres at some turns! I'll certainly be marshalling the MX5 series next year...
Old 15 Nov 2005, 18:51 (Ref:1461565)   #5
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
diz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Last edited by diz; 15 Nov 2005 at 18:53. Reason: cancelling a hijack
Old 15 Nov 2005, 19:13 (Ref:1461582)   #6
the-enginetuner
Rookie

the-enginetuner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
THe Phat Bstrds would like to thank MSV and every one who helped out on the day, Mark in the porsche and the MX5 gang who gave my son and daughter a fast ride( i estimate probably 1 week to wipe the smile off there faces) I/we would also like to apologise to anyone I/we may have (shall we say held up) during the course of the day, i personaly can think of two MX5s. I would like to thank Ian for his "above and beyond testing" of the tyres and the suspension on my silvia at island/whatever its called now and also the rev limiter at various places around the circuit.
Its funny how the gap between barrier and track seems massive when you are running across it to an incident, but very small when you are comming into the corner at high speed. I learnt a great deal today about what its like on the other side of the fence so to speak especialy for new drivers trying to deal with the speed differential, so a great day all round thanks again.

ps i think we may have the trackday/sprint/hillclimb bug, i assume there is a class for fat old men
Old 15 Nov 2005, 19:19 (Ref:1461589)   #7
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
deadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by the-enginetuner
I/we would also like to apologise to anyone I/we may have (shall we say held up) during the course of the day, i personaly can think of two MX5s.
No need to apologise from me - it was the only time the car in front (you) got a blue flag 'cos I was catching !!
Old 15 Nov 2005, 20:52 (Ref:1461651)   #8
TVRtoe
Rookie

United Kingdom
Warrington
TVRtoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TVRs and Druids

Despite crashing on my first lap out what a bl**dy idiot! I had a great day out. It took the rest of the morning for the adrenalin rush to die down.

Marks laps in an MX5 were awsome!! I'll never call an MX5 a hairdressers car again.

As for telling the missus 'bout my meeting with the armco.....my daughter sent a photo to her boyfriend with express instructions to: TELL NO ONE. Needless to say the jungle drums beat me home! The silence is deafening.
Old 15 Nov 2005, 21:25 (Ref:1461687)   #9
SRPhoto
Veteran

Wales
Wrexham
SRPhoto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would also like to thank everyone.
It was a great day!

No write offs, however I would not like to explain the TVR ding when I got home!

Photo of last compete "racing" lap done by the Osprey (Passenger Mark Shepard)
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...63#post1461663

BMMC Member since Oct 2001
Marshalled my first Rally on 9th March 2002 (Malcolm Wilson Rally)
Marshalled my first Race on 6th April 2002 (750MC - Oulton Park)
Marshalled my first British F1 GP 18th/20th July 2003
Old 15 Nov 2005, 22:36 (Ref:1461747)   #10
g7hkq
Rookie

England
Urmston, Manchester. UK
g7hkq should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

[QUOTE=the-enginetuner]THe Phat Bstrds would like to thank MSV and every one who helped out on the day, Mark in the porsche and the MX5 gang who gave my son and daughter a fast ride( i estimate probably 1 week to wipe the smile off there faces) I/we would also like to apologise to anyone I/we may have (shall we say held up) during the course of the day

Same goes for me, me and daughter number one had a fantastic day, thanks to Phat B*****d logistics for preping the car.

Question at 51 testing the suspension and tyres of Tommys car to the limit shouldn't I have had visions of bad things instead of shouting "YES I DIDN'T STALL IT !!!"?

Thanks again to all who made it happen and the next time you feel like moaning about the lot of a marshal think of today.

Ian
Old 15 Nov 2005, 22:46 (Ref:1461758)   #11
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i already put this in another thread, but here's my photos from the brief moments i wasn't driving or being a passenger today. Feel free to use any as you want

http://www.hepatic.no-ip.org/gallery...2_itemId=20656
Old 15 Nov 2005, 23:26 (Ref:1461802)   #12
Ian Briggs
Veteran

Ian Briggs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well its 11.15 and the grin hasnt faded and the adrenalin is keeping me awake!
At the risk of being boring, a big thanks to all the Guys who gave us all rides, to fill in a couple of names, Ian Berry and Graham Saul in the Spiders (Look out for them in the Northern Saloons Championship) and our own John McArthur in the Red Nova (RicMac III)
Also Ta to Mike the instructor who I borrowed for a few laps, wow was I getting it wrong!
Old 16 Nov 2005, 00:12 (Ref:1461843)   #13
gravel_monkey
Veteran

England
widnes
gravel_monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what a great day! a few things i have learnt
1/ a hair dresser's car is actually dam quick, i have already been on ebay to look at buying one just for the track.
2/ lotus europa's - omg they are unreal, i didnt know you can take cascades flat out out in 6th
3/ always make sure you get a hot ride before mr lewis!!!!!!!!
and finnally
4/ you can get a 1.0l nissan micra round oulton without really getting in anyones way and making loads of tyre squeling noise despite going nowere!

a big thankyou to all the guys who helped to organise the day and a big thanks to all the guys who let us out in there carsfor a few laps!
Old 16 Nov 2005, 08:51 (Ref:1462059)   #14
whatapalaver
Racer

England
Nottingham
whatapalaver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thank you to everyone who was involved yesterday. I had a wonderful time.
Old 16 Nov 2005, 08:56 (Ref:1462064)   #15
Ian Lewis
Veteran

England
Hartford
Ian Lewis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim69
Ian, I am not sure if you broke the car or I did.
We were dissapointed that not everybody got the opertunity for a ride in the Osprey, these things happen to race cars as we are all aware.

I have already asked Mike if he would be prepared to bring the car to another marsahls track day. Once I get the dates I will discuss it with him.

Once again sorry for any dissapointment.
Hi Jim,

Disapointed -I was not!!
Just being strapped in to a real racing car for the first time was enough to have me grinning from ear to ear. Plus I experienced at first hand the towing back to the pits proceedure

Anyway Tommy Erdos showed me how to drive the Griff around Oulton.
Old 16 Nov 2005, 11:13 (Ref:1462166)   #16
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Guys I'm so pleased you all enjoyed the day so much and that the weather held for you. Mike, apologies about the car, I hope it's not too badly broken.

Keep your eyes on the MSV website www.motorsportvision.co.uk for a write up of the day. I have said it's ok to use any of the (more polite) posts here as quotes. I hope that's ok with you guys?

You might be interested to know that MSV's committment to marshals continues unabated and the BMMC have been offered a free trade stand at the Race Car Live event in 10 days time at Brands Hatch.

Thanks to you all for your patience with my broken pc earlier in the year and I hope no-one was missed off my list in the end!

Don't forget Snetterton Track Day is 1 coming next month. Get those e-mails coming in.
Old 16 Nov 2005, 16:08 (Ref:1462356)   #17
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
What a great day that was! Another two hours & I may just have got Shell right.....

That Europa was incredible......so well-balanced, too - all four wheels let go at once when we went off at Druids!

Some photos at:

http://www.marshalspost.com/gallery/264.html

A few more to follow when I've finished editing them.
Old 16 Nov 2005, 18:05 (Ref:1462447)   #18
JohnD
Veteran

JohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Belated thanks (it was a long day!) to organisers, but especially to the Marshals who marshaled for the Marshals - and friends.

John (spanners) and Jon(driving) in the SuperSix Spitfire
Old 16 Nov 2005, 19:34 (Ref:1462523)   #19
pit bull
Racer

United Kingdom
In the pit lane, Cheshire
pit bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Excellent day, got as much track time as possible, had fun dressing the merc up as a shotgun wedding car (sort of private joke to a mate of mine) a big thanks to the marshals who had to endure the cold for us to have fun, had great fun reliving my day to all the guys at work.
many thanks to all who helped organise a great day.

Some say he spent it on fags, some say he exchanged it for a traffic light air freshner for his race car. all we know is he's called PIT BULL! :)[/QUOTE]
Old 16 Nov 2005, 19:39 (Ref:1462531)   #20
jim69
Racer

jim69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pit bull,

have a look at MSVs web site, your merc takes pride of place on the track day article
Old 16 Nov 2005, 20:41 (Ref:1462605)   #21
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
......only 2 of you thanked the Marshals!!

They'll be on here next moaning that the drivers didn't wave!!
Old 16 Nov 2005, 21:57 (Ref:1462672)   #22
uncle tom
Racer

Wales
Holywell
uncle tom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Had a great day especially the 3 laps of the internationl circuit in the Ospray driven at the time by Tommy Erdos, coupled with the 6 laps in the yellow Spider, the mad Mazda guys giving us 7 laps. Also a big thank you to the marshals who were manning the posts and race control for the day and thank you to MSV for allowing usto have the track day at Oulton and Steve Green and his team for sorting it all.
Old 16 Nov 2005, 21:59 (Ref:1462676)   #23
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Did any of you take advantage of the on board cameras in the Mazda's for some DVD's?
Old 16 Nov 2005, 22:17 (Ref:1462691)   #24
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
ah, slight problem with that. I did ask the guys before they went home, and there was apparently some problem that meant the laps didnt get recorded. Shame 'cos i'd have loved to give that to my dad for xmas - "look what we did through Island!"
Old 16 Nov 2005, 22:19 (Ref:1462692)   #25
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Thats a shame, I was hoping to borrow a couple to use at the NEC in January