Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 27 Mar 2006, 10:18 (Ref:1562146)   #1
F J Nedos
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
F J Nedos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Adelaide's infamous turn 8

This corner should be one of the best in Australian motorsports. However I think there are inherent problems with it which need addressing.

We are simply losing too many cars. And this is an unbiased comment as the corner has claimed cars from both makes.

When the track was first run in V8 supercar form, they tried to slow it down. Brad jones can tell you that one didnt work.

They then tried to speed it up. I think that move has claimed more cars.

There has to be a solution for this. We do not need to see injured dirvers... or worse.

Does anyone out there have any ideas for a solution?

I've got two.

For the life of me, I cannot work out why they dont run the track in the same configuration as the Adelaide GP used to be. I remember a GTR flipping once at the turn 8 equivalent, but thats about the extent of my memory.

Another solution is to convert turn 8 into a corner similar to turn 7. i.e. a 90 degree bend which would significantly slow them down. This solution is different to how the track originally was, as it used to be a fast corner with a dodgy kerb before.

This turn 8 wouldnt be a problem if it were on a non-street circuit, or if it had significantly more run off on the outside of the bend.

Any other thoughts?
Old 27 Mar 2006, 10:33 (Ref:1562157)   #2
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well..

There is more run off available for turn 8... but they just plonk a grandstand there.

That straight between Turn 8 and Turn 9 is almost twice as wide, but they only use the left hand side of the road.. the right hand side of the road is used to house grandstands and all that stuff.

They could push the racetrack 5-7 metres back, and put a big high kerb on the outside of the corner...

the only problem is that if a car goes straight on or gets turned around more... theres more chance of a head on collision with the wall.. aka Hakkinen
Old 27 Mar 2006, 10:34 (Ref:1562159)   #3
Wingman
Rookie

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Wingman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Like you, I don't really know how to fix it. Maybe put in the dreaded chicanes before the corner. But does it need fixing? I wonder what the teams think. After all they are paying the bills and getting the bruises.
Old 27 Mar 2006, 10:42 (Ref:1562171)   #4
Sol
Racer

Sol should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree that something has to be done about it as the damage it inflicts is too high. Each year I wonder who will destroy their car against the wall this year?

If they could make it like the old "Brewery Bend" back up the road would possibly be better.
Old 27 Mar 2006, 10:44 (Ref:1562173)   #5
FAST5LT
Rookie

FAST5LT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I sit at Turn 8 every year, and wouldnt pass up my seats for any other seat at the track.

Here is one way to look at it:

32 Cars - 78 laps per race X 2 Races = 4992 passes during race conditions (not taking into consideration Practice, Qualifying and Warmup Laps.

Bright, Skaife, Courtney and Murph all hit the wall at speed - So as a percentage 4 / 4992 = 0.08% of cars hitting the wall.

Leave it as it is. It's without debt the most exciting corner in Australian Motorsport
Old 27 Mar 2006, 11:43 (Ref:1562233)   #6
garbo6
Racer

Australia
Adelaide
garbo6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Turn 8 is probably the best as it's going to be. If the track was widened at T8 there is a greater potential for a head on with the wall. Adding a chicane before it would ruin the track.

Maybe the organisers need to look at how the current concrete blocks could be made safer with SAFER barrier style protection as used in NASCAR,
Old 27 Mar 2006, 11:51 (Ref:1562248)   #7
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah... but if u play the v8 supercar 2 and 3 on xbox..

turn 8 is a lot wider, they use an extra lane of the road.. (from wat i can gather on the road markings in the game).. less challeging, but less risky
Old 27 Mar 2006, 11:59 (Ref:1562257)   #8
MPA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
MPA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And Skaife went into the wall under safety car conditions on Sat. The SC Boards and flags were out long before he smacked the wall.

They manage to get it wrong even when going slow....

BTW, there's only one very small stand between 8 and 9 that would need to be moved to alter the track. Its a private box just next to Wakefield St.

Last edited by MPA; 27 Mar 2006 at 12:01. Reason: typo
Old 27 Mar 2006, 12:31 (Ref:1562304)   #9
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Leave it alone. If drivers use common sense they will get through every time and if their car is broken they will probably crash no matter what is done.

Those drivers who don't use common sense will make it onto the highlights tape.
Old 27 Mar 2006, 13:11 (Ref:1562332)   #10
Rombles1
Veteran

Australia
Facebook
Rombles1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Could they move the wall back by the thickness of a tyre barrier, and install a tyre barrier? It might reduce the damage a bit....
Old 27 Mar 2006, 13:16 (Ref:1562335)   #11
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by garbo6
Maybe the organisers need to look at how the current concrete blocks could be made safer with SAFER barrier style protection as used in NASCAR.
How about that eh?
Old 27 Mar 2006, 22:21 (Ref:1562773)   #12
MPA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
The wall is good.

Sure you'll smack it hard but then you slide along it until you stop. Hitting a tyre barrier at that angle would chew the car up.

Not pretty. Bargs can tell ya that. Phillip Island 02.

I was at 8.2 on the weekend and I'm telling you the hits were not that bad. The worst one was the Lotus that went into the wall before the apex and stopped where he hit. The luckiest guy was driving a FF. Did not catch his name but his 360 on the exit of 8 without hitting anything was pure luck.
Old 27 Mar 2006, 22:23 (Ref:1562776)   #13
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rombles1
Could they move the wall back by the thickness of a tyre barrier, and install a tyre barrier? It might reduce the damage a bit....
At that speed that would be even more dangerous. The barrier would grab the cars and flick them off spinning unpredictably into other cars trying to avoid it.

I think theres a better way to do it than widening the corner, although that sohuldn't be written off. Adding some grippy tar/compound/cutting to the non racing line might be an option. They have this kind of thing *on* the racing line at some american tracks like Lime Rock and I think Watkins Glen has it too.
Old 27 Mar 2006, 22:28 (Ref:1562781)   #14
mmciau
Veteran

Australia
South Australia
mmciau should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have made representatuions to authorities over the years but they appear to be all too busy!!!!!!!

Mike

[IMG]
Old 27 Mar 2006, 23:58 (Ref:1562861)   #15
MPA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
I seem to remember about 20 years ago that no team owner would put a kid into a touring car. The only exception was Gibbo giving Skaife and Seton chance. The cars were too expensive to hand over to a kid.

What’s changed? Now you’re over the hill at 35 and if you don’t destroy a car every now and then you’re not trying hard enough.

The team owners were right, but it seems there’s enough money floating around to fund the problem. Perhaps the wall at turn 8 is only a small part of a bigger issue.

Perhaps a driver needs more than one year in lower classes of racing before stepping into these cars. Take young Jack Perkins for example, a great guy but after one average year in Formula Ford he’s stepped up into the Konica Lites class.

At least Jack kept it off the wall at 8 but are we recruiting drivers too young?
Old 28 Mar 2006, 00:48 (Ref:1562887)   #16
JABWOA
Veteran

Australia
3rd star to the left
JABWOA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about putting in some banking? Force the cars around (make peak hour traffic fun too)
Old 28 Mar 2006, 00:56 (Ref:1562892)   #17
^temuchin^
Rookie

^temuchin^ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonhill9884
Yeah... but if u play the v8 supercar 2 and 3 on xbox..

turn 8 is a lot wider, they use an extra lane of the road.. (from wat i can gather on the road markings in the game).. less challeging, but less risky
Yes, did 60 laps of Adelaide last night in PS2 V8SC3 and had no problem at all with T8.

My biggest accident happened when i missed the chicane.

And it was strange coincidence Whincup was the fastest qualifier.
Old 28 Mar 2006, 01:06 (Ref:1562895)   #18
Mickcals
Racer

Mickcals has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Maybe they should move the wall back further and inscert that NASCAR barrier they use on their tracks. It breaks away easily and is quick to fix
Old 28 Mar 2006, 01:33 (Ref:1562911)   #19
Vanilla Dice
Veteran

MagnetON
Hope Island Resort
Vanilla Dice has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ^temuchin^
Yes, did 60 laps of Adelaide last night in PS2 V8SC3 and had no problem at all with T8.

My biggest accident happened when i missed the chicane.

And it was strange coincidence Whincup was the fastest qualifier.
I have done that too, Adelaide is one of my favourites on that game, but it doesnt give you the right feeling when you go thru turn 8.

Basically on V8SC3, if you dont hit that kerb on the inside, you can go flat chat and jump the kerb on the exit and it is virtually impossible to smash. The car feels like it has more grip in the game than it does in real life...

666 posts... over... and OUT..!
Old 28 Mar 2006, 01:42 (Ref:1562917)   #20
Sultan
Veteran

Australia
Brisvegas, Australia
Sultan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPA
I seem to remember about 20 years ago that no team owner would put a kid into a touring car. The only exception was Gibbo giving Skaife and Seton chance. The cars were too expensive to hand over to a kid.

What’s changed? Now you’re over the hill at 35 and if you don’t destroy a car every now and then you’re not trying hard enough.

The team owners were right, but it seems there’s enough money floating around to fund the problem. Perhaps the wall at turn 8 is only a small part of a bigger issue.

Perhaps a driver needs more than one year in lower classes of racing before stepping into these cars. Take young Jack Perkins for example, a great guy but after one average year in Formula Ford he’s stepped up into the Konica Lites class.

At least Jack kept it off the wall at 8 but are we recruiting drivers too young?

I think the question that should be asked is
1. 'How many of these young drivers are getting paid?'

Next question (to put it all into perspective)

2.'How many young drivers buying their drives?'

For right or for wrong, Money talks....

As far as Turn 8 itself goes, leave it, it's part of the challenge...
Old 28 Mar 2006, 02:02 (Ref:1562924)   #21
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla Dice
I have done that too, Adelaide is one of my favourites on that game, but it doesnt give you the right feeling when you go thru turn 8.

Basically on V8SC3, if you dont hit that kerb on the inside, you can go flat chat and jump the kerb on the exit and it is virtually impossible to smash. The car feels like it has more grip in the game than it does in real life...
As I've said before, V8SC3 is not a driving simulator. It is only a representation of real life as far as graphics go. They cannot make the physics realistic because it would alienate too many people and it wouldn't be a mainstream game, like rFactor, GTR, GPL, GTL etc. If you want realism play one of those games. Expect it to take about a year of playing those games to be competitive
Old 28 Mar 2006, 02:11 (Ref:1562927)   #22
KE30MAN
Racer

KE30MAN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Or you could actually race for real rather than on computers
Old 28 Mar 2006, 02:17 (Ref:1562928)   #23
Sultan
Veteran

Australia
Brisvegas, Australia
Sultan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by KE30MAN
Old 28 Mar 2006, 02:29 (Ref:1562936)   #24
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Quote:
Originally Posted by KE30MAN
Sure just let me pick some money from the money tree.

Thats my plan KE30MAN, but for someone who didnt grow up rich its hard to get into. I'm getting there...
Old 28 Mar 2006, 03:48 (Ref:1562968)   #25
MPA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
The wall's main job is to keep the cars from the spectators.

It did its job well. The drivers on the other hand......