Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 8 Nov 2006, 14:53 (Ref:1760934)   #1
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
BARC Acquires operation of Croft Circuit

http://www.parcferme.com/content/view/1909/2/

Thoughts, comments?
Old 8 Nov 2006, 15:05 (Ref:1760941)   #2
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
It should work well as long as they leave the existing people in charge of operations. Croft is one of the friendliest circuits to deal with and that absolutely must continue. It is also one of the best turned out, which may have come from being a family-owned, private business.

I don't know what the general view is about Mallory Park since the BARC took that over, but it seems to have found a nche role and be a busy little circuit.

Croft is pretty busy already, but they could do with some help on the racing school side. There must be a big untapped market for that in the North East and the BARC has expertise in that area from its excellent operation at Thruxton.
Old 8 Nov 2006, 15:39 (Ref:1760955)   #3
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Good for them now if they could just get Donington Park......
Old 9 Nov 2006, 15:52 (Ref:1761731)   #4
graham bahr
Veteran

England
cambs
graham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgraham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
they should also get on and aquire lydden before that dissappears!

its not speed thats dangerous, just the sudden lack of it!
Old 9 Nov 2006, 16:18 (Ref:1761737)   #5
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Lydden has such local opposition to motorsport I doubt they would want it.

I think the acquisition of the operating rights to Croft is a good move for BARC. It brings them in line with other circuit owners (JP and MSV, and the BRDC and Silverstone). It rather leaves the BRSCC in the cold though.

The BARC has proved over the past 20 years that under good leadership, their business has grown and hopefully looks set to continue to do so.

I wish them all the luck and great success.
Old 9 Nov 2006, 16:19 (Ref:1761740)   #6
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
Good for them now if they could just get Donington Park......
No, as I understand it, the operatng lease for DP is in the process of being sold to someone else.

Regards

Jim
Old 9 Nov 2006, 16:26 (Ref:1761750)   #7
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Panic buying by the BRSCC??

Bets anyone:

MSV....... giving them another FIA spec circuit in their arsenal...

Unlikely that the BRDC would buy the lease, but I'm sure they'd tender for a contract to run...

If my numbers come up on Friday, I'd offer to take it off Tom's hands...

Rob.
Old 9 Nov 2006, 16:50 (Ref:1761766)   #8
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racing59
Panic buying by the BRSCC??

Bets anyone:

MSV....... giving them another FIA spec circuit in their arsenal...

Unlikely that the BRDC would buy the lease, but I'm sure they'd tender for a contract to run...

If my numbers come up on Friday, I'd offer to take it off Tom's hands...

Rob.
None of the above is quite right according to my information.

Jim
Old 9 Nov 2006, 19:27 (Ref:1761899)   #9
DarrellB
Racer

United Kingdom
Wiltshire
DarrellB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As long as they don't move HQ up there.. its a hell of a long way to go and pick the units up!!!!!
Old 9 Nov 2006, 20:03 (Ref:1761941)   #10
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tom still OWNS Donington but its the operating lease that he is trading on. But, I must admit that I thought that the sale had been completed a few weeks ago.

It would be good to have a decent competitor to MSV - not because I don't like Dr P, but I just would not want him to have an effective monopoly. It would certainly be good if someone (BARC or otherwise) could have a circuit group to compete with MSV which included a good headline circuit - MSV has Brands and (possibly) Oulton, its just a pity that another circuit group could not run (say) Silverstone, Donington and couple of the other circuits. Castle Combe seem to have the right idea; lets put Howard in charge!
Old 9 Nov 2006, 20:18 (Ref:1761965)   #11
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From a spectator's point of view I hope that whoever takes control of operating Donington takes note of what J.P. has done at Brands and implements some of the same ideas.

I don't know what Croft needs as I've never been there, but again BARC would be advised to look at J.P.'s methods.

Alternatively, as andy97 says, consult the people who run Castle Combe. I made my 1st visit there earlier this year and was higly impressed by the set-up for the spectator.
Old 9 Nov 2006, 22:11 (Ref:1762069)   #12
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I'm sure that the heirarchy at the BARC work closely with JP in many areas
Old 9 Nov 2006, 22:22 (Ref:1762078)   #13
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by graham bahr
they should also get on and aquire lydden before that dissappears!
Bother, I meant to mention that on Tuesday!!
Old 9 Nov 2006, 22:26 (Ref:1762087)   #14
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I agree with strider in saying that Croft is well turned out. I hope the change doesn't affect the upkeep, as I like my annual jaunt down for the BTCC weekend there - it's also been a scorcher of a day every time I have, which helps!

Makes a difference to my usual Knockhill to have so much tarmac round the circuit!
Old 10 Nov 2006, 17:03 (Ref:1762851)   #15
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
The STIG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now what chance of BARC taking over Anglesey or Knockhill?

What I'd like is a club or organisation taking on Llandow and transforming it back into a racing venue.
Old 10 Nov 2006, 17:08 (Ref:1762853)   #16
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The STIG
Now what chance of BARC taking over Anglesey or Knockhill?
Why the should BARC,or anyone else for that matter 'take over' Anglesey? What, in your opinion, is wrong with the way the circuit is run by its current management?
Old 10 Nov 2006, 17:15 (Ref:1762859)   #17
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This is good news, Croft is my local track and managed to get up there a couple of times years. No there are two things the BARC need to do IMO - 1:- Improve the PA System as it's rubbish and 2:- Build some sort of indoor eating factlity as there isn't one.
Old 10 Nov 2006, 19:22 (Ref:1762918)   #18
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand
Why the should BARC,or anyone else for that matter 'take over' Anglesey?
Steady on!

I may as well ask what was wrong with the way Croft was being managed. Anglesey would be a great circuit to add to any operator's portfolio, and to have both welsh venues operated by the same team would undoubtidly bring benifits to Welsh motorsport.
Old 10 Nov 2006, 20:08 (Ref:1762941)   #19
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The STIG
What I'd like is a club or organisation taking on Llandow and transforming it back into a racing venue.
From what I have been told, Llandow would require a significant amount of investment to improve the safety elements in order for it to be licenced for racing. Whilst this is by no means impossible, given the small nature of the circuit, the chances to recoup the money would be slim. Plus it would probably find itself competing against Pembrey, which may dillute eveyone's efforts. That said, its a great idea and if motor racing were ever to return to Llandow, I'd be extremely keen to spectate/marshal at it.
Old 10 Nov 2006, 20:15 (Ref:1762945)   #20
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Green
I'm sure that the heirarchy at the BARC work closely with JP in many areas
Well, if it is an indicator ......

...... I'm reading in Autosport that FPA are returning to Thruxton in July 2007. Nothing earth shattering there, except after some "fun and games" over how things went back in 1998 and 1999 when the championship visited, it has not been back since.

Maybe time has healed some wounds .............
Old 10 Nov 2006, 20:17 (Ref:1762949)   #21
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper
From what I have been told, Llandow would require a significant amount of investment to improve the safety elements in order for it to be licenced for racing.
True, which is why it needs someone to put that investment in. anything's possible, right up to extending the circuit (by addinga loop into the infeild of the oval). True again it may end up competeing with Pembrey - but I think it would be more likely to boost welsh motorsport and open the doors for a series of proper national series.
Old 10 Nov 2006, 21:12 (Ref:1762974)   #22
aland
Veteran

Scotland
West Scotland
aland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
as a racetrack croft is great however it needs investment, covered eating as already mentioned, the big paddock tarmaced as it is bumpy and rutted useless, new toilet blocks for spectators.

nowt wrong with Knockhill BTW the Butchers have put their money in and in terms of facilities it is one of the better tracks
Old 10 Nov 2006, 21:47 (Ref:1762997)   #23
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I was at Croft for the rallycross a couple of weekes ago and it runway, looked as it had been tarmaced since the last time I was there in July for the BTCC.
Old 10 Nov 2006, 22:26 (Ref:1763024)   #24
Broom pusher
Rookie

Wales
Bridgend
Broom pusher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whilst I agree with rd about permenant eating facility, how about protection for marshals on post not just post used on trackdays as at present. BARC takeover of Mallory does not seem to have had a detramental effect so why should it at Croft.
Old 12 Nov 2006, 15:34 (Ref:1764282)   #25
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Sorry, but I don't think the BARC will go anywhere near Anglesey or Llandow.

They already have Pembrey in Wales and that's probably enough.