Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 Jun 2015, 21:53 (Ref:3552010)   #1
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Austrian Grand Prix 2015 - Weekend Thread

We arrive in Austria for the second year in a row at the latest incarnation of what was the old Oesterreichring. It was a beautiful setting surrounding the track last year, reminding me of the European races of the 80s, but how do you think it stacks up to the original circuit?

It looks like both Alonso and possibly Ricciardo will be getting engine penalties this weekend.

The tyre selection is soft and supersoft. If it's warm, it's thought to likely be a two-stop race with a one-stopper favoured in cooler conditions.

At the moment, there is a high chance of rain on Saturday and the chance of some afternoon showers on Sunday.

There will be two DRS zones, the first of whose detection point is on the run down to Turn 2 with an activation point a little after this corner; the second DRS Zone has a detection point just after Turn 8, with its activation point just after Turn 9, which is the start of the start-finish straight.

Remember Felipe Massa's surprise pole last year?
Old 19 Jun 2015, 07:46 (Ref:3552074)   #2
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for starting the thread. A very slow week for F1, I guess people are recovering from Le Mans.

Looking forward to getting back to Austria after a great return last year. It is a lovely track, and while it probably isn't as good as the original, it is a still a great track taking into account modern safety requirements.

I'm just hoping for a bit of action at the top, probably Ferrari doing well in the heat as they have earlier this season. I'd also like to see McLaren get back to their improvement curve, rather than the terrible dip in performance we saw at Canada.

Free practice 1 starts shortly.
Old 19 Jun 2015, 11:35 (Ref:3552124)   #3
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
One of the things that is new for this weekend, is that Force India has the new upgraded Mercedes engine - which the Mercedes team had a few races ago. It looks like it has helped their performance a bit at Austria. I assume the other Mercedes' engined cars have it as well?
Old 19 Jun 2015, 14:41 (Ref:3552175)   #4
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
So Kimi and Seb seem to have great pace with the Mercs during Practise.
Everyone is using every inch of track (and much more!), Turns 1, 8 and 9.
Should be an interesting race, I reckon the McClaren's will get lapped at least 5 times..ouch..
Old 19 Jun 2015, 19:52 (Ref:3552246)   #5
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by djinvicta View Post
Should be an interesting race, I reckon the McClaren's will get lapped at least 5 times..ouch..
That's an optimistic view - I don't think they'll last long enough to get lapped that many times. On todays performance if they make it to the first stops it'll be a miracle.

Up at the front it's looking a bit more interesting - Ferrari are close to the Mercs, Lotus are looking racy and there's pace in the Williams. Should be a good one.
Old 19 Jun 2015, 19:38 (Ref:3552239)   #6
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
What a great place to have a Grand Prix
Old 19 Jun 2015, 19:57 (Ref:3552247)   #7
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It wasn't too bad a race last year, and the venue's always had a very nice setting. There was an all Williams front row and Lewis messed up on qualifying, starting 9th but I doubt we'll see anything quite like that. Though having said that, Vettel was looking very good in P2.
Old 19 Jun 2015, 22:09 (Ref:3552275)   #8
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
What a great place to have a Grand Prix
I agree it's a fantastic little circuit, the surrounding countryside is gorgeous...
Old 19 Jun 2015, 20:26 (Ref:3552255)   #9
m355y
Racer

m355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridm355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridm355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I properly love this circuit, it got all kinds of stick back in 1997 but suddenly almost two decades on it almost seems like a classic.
Old 19 Jun 2015, 22:16 (Ref:3552276)   #10
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's a ridiculously simple looking circuit, that had it not been built into a hillside or uses part of one of the "old school" circuits, it would never be looked at as an F1 hosting circuit.

And yes the helicopter shots are amazing, as are some of the ground camera views
Old 19 Jun 2015, 23:24 (Ref:3552288)   #11
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
1975 Austrian GP was one of the most memorable ever....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlJD6jW-jMY
Old 20 Jun 2015, 02:02 (Ref:3552309)   #12
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender View Post
1975 Austrian GP was one of the most memorable ever....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlJD6jW-jMY
Mainly because we lost Mark Donohue, very upsetting!
Old 20 Jun 2015, 12:40 (Ref:3552403)   #13
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Button and Alonso have each received as 25 place gird penalty. while the penalty may be deserving and practical but surely a penalty for more spots then there are cars in the race is just plain silly.

the bubble of silence that the Honda bosses are sitting in might be even sillier though.
Old 20 Jun 2015, 13:08 (Ref:3552414)   #14
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
A little drama at the end. Hamilton on provisional pole goes off the track, where he went off last year and in sympathy, Rosberg as he's rounding the last corner and just about to complete his final flying lap, also goes off. Strange.

Big disappointment for Kimi and Button in Q1.
Old 20 Jun 2015, 13:15 (Ref:3552415)   #15
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That was an interesting last lap in Q3.
Could this be the weekend to get a 17 yr old on the podium?
Rain can change a lot of best laid plans.
Old 20 Jun 2015, 13:15 (Ref:3552416)   #16
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Q1 was nice as times dropped considerably as the track dried. Laurel and Hardy at the end provided a good laugh.
Old 20 Jun 2015, 18:30 (Ref:3552493)   #17
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, that was a funny and bizarre ending to Q3. Nice run by Hulkenberg to split the Williams to get 5th, but as confidence boosters go, Le Mans is surely up there!!!

With the Merc drivers this error prone, a sprinkling of rain is on order!!!
Old 21 Jun 2015, 12:07 (Ref:3552690)   #18
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
That was initially a clean start, with Rosberg getting the jump on Hamilton but there's been a big coming together with Alonso and Raikonnen. First caution of the day.
Old 21 Jun 2015, 12:56 (Ref:3552699)   #19
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Right in front of the tv camera! On high def tv that looked like
that wreck came in our house. Pretty good racing mid pack.
Vettle Right rear mistake in the box. Should be a good Massa
Vettle fight for the 3rd step on the podium. Cmon rain.
Old 21 Jun 2015, 13:31 (Ref:3552706)   #20
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Lap 69, with 71 laps to go, can Vettel get Massa?
Old 21 Jun 2015, 13:34 (Ref:3552707)   #21
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
AoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Car #6 definitely had his DRS open. A penalty ought to be applied.
Old 21 Jun 2015, 18:22 (Ref:3552767)   #22
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I can't believe they did that.
Old 21 Jun 2015, 18:30 (Ref:3552771)   #23
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Paulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I fell asleep watching the highlights.

Who won ..

Last edited by Paulaweybridge; 21 Jun 2015 at 18:39.
Old 21 Jun 2015, 18:34 (Ref:3552772)   #24
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
I fell asleep watching the second lap and I live in a hole.
Old 21 Jun 2015, 18:40 (Ref:3552776)   #25
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Paulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I fell asleep watching the second lap and I live in a hole.