Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 12 Jul 2013, 14:41 (Ref:3277011)   #1
Burfs
Rookie

Burfs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fangio Merc W196...

...just sold at the FoS for GBP19.6m incl. premium - wow!
Old 12 Jul 2013, 15:17 (Ref:3277020)   #2
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I was going to bid for it but spent all my money on a 107e !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 12 Jul 2013, 19:37 (Ref:3277102)   #3
apriliadriver
Racer

United Kingdom
Ruislip, Middx
apriliadriver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I went to the auction : for the first time in 25 yrs of doing that you could feel real tension in the air. Bidding was going on in half-a-million £ steps. After it passed £10M, there was a collective sharp intake of breath. After that ... £12M (leaving the troposphere); £13M (leaving the earth's atmosphere); £14M, £15M, £16M (leaving earth's gravitational field ...) and then a new bidder joined in on the phone and got the car. It was a 'Wow!!' moment .... only half the price of a GTO, sure ... but what can you do with the W196 ? If you rebuild it to race, you lose its incredible originality .... and who's going to race something they paid near-£20M for ?

The rich, they are different ....

And what price a Lotus Cortina ?? Everything in the first 30 lots exceeded its top estimate. Some sale.
Nick
Old 12 Jul 2013, 19:37 (Ref:3277103)   #4
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
So you spend 19.4 million quid and get the car.
What do you do with it?
Old 12 Jul 2013, 20:33 (Ref:3277126)   #5
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That's not a consideration. You have the cash do what you like Also, better than a painting. For me, anyway. But then you knew that as I hang out here rather than degas.com/forum

The 250GTO point, has any sold for more than 19.6m at auction. I'm struggling to think of another auction higher at the moment.

Goodwood is a good place to sell at auction as the cheaper lots prove. There is at least a 10% Goodwood premium!
Old 12 Jul 2013, 22:30 (Ref:3277174)   #6
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
So you spend 19.4 million quid and get the car.
What do you do with it?
Whatever you want! Doors will open....either demo runs or just static you'll be guest of honour at all the big events.
Old 13 Jul 2013, 06:19 (Ref:3277217)   #7
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hope the buyer/s kept something back for the resto! Quite amazed this has been in hiding for so long.
Old 13 Jul 2013, 07:06 (Ref:3277224)   #8
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
People think I'm mental paying 2k for a guitar . . .but it looks the mutts hanging on the wall and I can use it. better than a painting.

186k for a Crustina seems a little steep for a museum piece, you're going to need an extra 50k to build a replica and hope it'll get you invited to a few places I suppose. W196 is nuts, I can't comprehend even the investment value.
Old 13 Jul 2013, 07:48 (Ref:3277228)   #9
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
Hope the buyer/s kept something back for the resto! Quite amazed this has been in hiding for so long.
Resto or just stop the ageing process? Doug Nye has an interesting interview on the Telegraph web site. For example that is Fangio's seat and can be traced back, it has the correct numbers. If it is re-covered it is just another leather seat - where's the history, the provenance?

Imagine repainting Tuankhamun's mask!
Old 13 Jul 2013, 08:38 (Ref:3277241)   #10
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
If everything goes up in price as it gets older I wonder if it's worth cashing in my wife ?
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 13 Jul 2013, 08:48 (Ref:3277245)   #11
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Resto or just stop the ageing process? Doug Nye has an interesting interview on the Telegraph web site. For example that is Fangio's seat and can be traced back, it has the correct numbers. If it is re-covered it is just another leather seat - where's the history, the provenance?

Imagine repainting Tuankhamun's mask!

Fangios seat situation applies to any restoration of any car.Been here before.
Old 13 Jul 2013, 09:17 (Ref:3277254)   #12
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by apriliadriver View Post
The rich, they are different ....

And what price a Lotus Cortina ?? Everything in the first 30 lots exceeded its top estimate. Some sale.
Nick
Very true, look at the prices for the sensible historic racing cars:
30 grand for a Lotus 22,
37 for a Sebring Sprite,
24 for a works prepared Healey 3000
etc.
Whoever bought those cars should be very happy.

They did well with the Mercedes W196 but it didn't make much more than when Mr Bamford sold it in 1990 when $20M was rather harder to come by than today!!
Old 13 Jul 2013, 10:05 (Ref:3277264)   #13
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Utterly ridiculous to be fair

No car is worth that much money, and the fact it is will be just even more weight to the fact it wont run much is the biggest shame

But these people seem to get richer by the hour and this sort of thing, like art, houses, wine etc seem to attract pillocks who just want to outbid each other for the sake of pride.

Makes a mockery of the world if you ask me
Old 13 Jul 2013, 13:00 (Ref:3277309)   #14
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
It was 'hidden' in Beaulieu museum for a bit. Which is part of the story of how it became the only one in private ownership.

As for this being an example of why the world is bad, nah, not really.
Old 13 Jul 2013, 14:40 (Ref:3277325)   #15
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Utterly ridiculous to be fair

No car is worth that much money, and the fact it is will be just even more weight to the fact it wont run much is the biggest shame

But these people seem to get richer by the hour and this sort of thing, like art, houses, wine etc seem to attract pillocks who just want to outbid each other for the sake of pride.

Makes a mockery of the world if you ask me
There's no barrier to anyone in this country becoming rich and doing the same... or spending similar amounts of their money on something else. More power to them... would love to be in that position myself !

The big issue with these things is authenticity. Assuming it's completely authentic right now... if it's repaired or restored in any way at all it will be less authentic and I guess less valuable. Or put another way, at what point does this thing cease to be the original and evolve into a replica of itself. A bit like Trigger winning an award for owning the same broom for over 20 years... even though it had 17 new heads and 14 new handles, it was still the same broom
Old 13 Jul 2013, 16:42 (Ref:3277350)   #16
FastDB2s
Veteran

England
Solihull, West Mids
FastDB2s should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Biuld an exact replica & race that, keep the original for displays, barbecues at home & just to sit in, if you have got £20m to buy it creating an exact replica at a few hundred thousand wont damage your bank account much, maybe Mercedes would allow the drawings to be used.

Last edited by FastDB2s; 13 Jul 2013 at 16:49.
Old 13 Jul 2013, 18:24 (Ref:3277369)   #17
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
TThe big issue with these things is authenticity. Assuming it's completely authentic right now... if it's repaired or restored in any way at all it will be less authentic and I guess less valuable. Or put another way, at what point does this thing cease to be the original and evolve into a replica of itself. A bit like Trigger winning an award for owning the same broom for over 20 years... even though it had 17 new heads and 14 new handles, it was still the same broom
That one is very original. But joy comes from using it. Even, as you say, just sitting in it.
Whoever has bought it can do what they want.

Personally I'd have to get it running, at least.
Old 13 Jul 2013, 20:28 (Ref:3277397)   #18
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMorley View Post
Very true, look at the prices for the sensible historic racing cars:
30 grand for a Lotus 22,
37 for a Sebring Sprite,
24 for a works prepared Healey 3000
etc.
Whoever bought those cars should be very happy.

They did well with the Mercedes W196 but it didn't make much more than when Mr Bamford sold it in 1990 when $20M was rather harder to come by than today!!
Totally agree I thought they looked relative value
Old 15 Jul 2013, 07:28 (Ref:3277802)   #19
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
THat's silly, they're being made, new, faster than Lotus Cortinas are ! I hope it had some sort of provenance . .or at the very least a pre '73 log book!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMorley View Post
37 for a Sebring Sprite!!
Old 15 Jul 2013, 08:13 (Ref:3277821)   #20
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
if the catalogue description is correct it had a very nice history
Old 15 Jul 2013, 08:19 (Ref:3277824)   #21
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
That was probably all thrown away during its resto!
Old 15 Jul 2013, 08:26 (Ref:3277829)   #22
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Very easy money to be made in this business it seems!

But how on earth you get the capital together to actually start, and then learn the trades you need I dont know! Unless you inherit them.

Saw an ad a few months ago I wish I had seen when I was 21, was for a sort of apprentice in a historic motorsport workshop.

Can't imagine a place where you would learn more, and made me wish I had a time machine, not only to learn the skills but also to profit from them as you would likely be doing now!!
Old 15 Jul 2013, 08:37 (Ref:3277832)   #23
simon drabble
Veteran

Terry that is a valid point - which is why it will be a shame in many ways if that M-B is ever raced as origanlity is easliy lost. However I guess its the perogative of the new owner. GTO's are possibly worth more and they are still thwacked around the circuits and its a delight to us speccies to see them being used. High class dilema!
Old 15 Jul 2013, 09:05 (Ref:3277845)   #24
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
THat's silly, they're being made, new, faster than Lotus Cortinas are ! I hope it had some sort of provenance . .or at the very least a pre '73 log book!
It has certainly been around for sometime, Frank Tiedeman already had it when we bought the Cooper Zephyr which was some 20+ years ago!
Old 16 Jul 2013, 04:37 (Ref:3278217)   #25
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
Terry that is a valid point - which is why it will be a shame in many ways if that M-B is ever raced as origanlity is easliy lost. However I guess its the perogative of the new owner. GTO's are possibly worth more and they are still thwacked around the circuits and its a delight to us speccies to see them being used. High class dilema!
Quite agree although sometimes originality has to be forgotten about to effect the repairs.One such occasion for me was during the initial assessment of Jack Sears GTO. Jack had always said that it was originally Light Grey with Yellow roundels,the colour scheme that he and Mike Parks raced it at snett in,until Mike stuffed it heavily enough to put them out,however,Jack said the colour really had to be Rosso Corse,so in order to repair the damage properly,ie,get rid of all remaining filler and weld the cracks,the body was stripped.Even if the car was repainted in its original colour,its historic value was lost,merely by losing the original paintwork.Ref Fangio's Seat.