Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 4 Dec 2006, 08:01 (Ref:1781391)   #1
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Homologation papers 1965 Corvette (number 187)

Does anyone know where I can get a copy of the homologation papers for a 1965 Corvette? It is homologation number 187.

Regards,

Roger
Old 4 Dec 2006, 10:32 (Ref:1781521)   #2
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
call Marcus Pye at the MSA, for something Like £30 he'll send you a nice fresh copy from their archives

decided what you want then Roger ? ( massive oversteer and opposite lock capabilities !!!)
Old 5 Dec 2006, 09:09 (Ref:1782298)   #3
Ted Walker
Veteran

Ted Walker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have you tried the MSA ????
Old 9 Dec 2006, 12:03 (Ref:1785798)   #4
Frank de Jong
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Racer

Netherlands
Amsterdam
Frank de Jong should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFrank de Jong should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Roger, PM me your email. I robbed a Danish motorsport site a while ago.
Old 9 Dec 2006, 13:29 (Ref:1785840)   #5
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yep, took the plunge. Car will be on a boat next week and as soon as it arrives the prep work starts. 1965 Corvette Coupe but quite a rare one as it is one of the interim year 396 cu in models between the small blocks and the big blocks.

Here it is......

Old 9 Dec 2006, 14:15 (Ref:1785856)   #6
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Nice one, Roger; well done! Look forward to seeing it out!
Old 9 Dec 2006, 19:34 (Ref:1785964)   #7
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Monster! (puffs cigar) that looks like The Who in 1971 . . . . .LOUD!

Frank . . .have you got 1225 digitally?
Old 9 Dec 2006, 20:44 (Ref:1785991)   #8
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Excellent stuff,did you see what one recently sold for!,The big yanks are starting to catch up with house prices,but then you can sleep in a car.
Old 9 Dec 2006, 21:49 (Ref:1786028)   #9
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fantastic looking car Roger!
ps 396 is a big block, just not a very big one lol, it grew into the 427 then 454
Old 10 Dec 2006, 09:59 (Ref:1786636)   #10
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
Yes, John, re 396 being a big block - I like to call it a small-big-block.

Actually the really interesting bit on the homologation form (and the main reason I was trying to get a copy) is that it says the following:

Capacity - 396 cu in
Maximum rebore 4.251 cu in
Resultant capacity - 427 cu in

My mechanic had said he remembered that the 396's were allowed to be rebored up to 427 on the original homologation form whereas a 1965 Corvette 427 was actually only homologated in Feb 1966 making it ineligible for period G.

So that was my objective buying this car - it is a 1965 homologated with 396 cu in but also homologated with a rebore up to 427 cu in.

I think it will be a monster!

Can't wait!!!

Roger
Old 11 Dec 2006, 12:03 (Ref:1787872)   #11
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
nor can I and am already starting a weight training programme down the gym! the 6 Hour is only 11 months away!!!!
Old 11 Dec 2006, 16:40 (Ref:1788120)   #12
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble
nor can I and am already starting a weight training programme down the gym! the 6 Hour is only 11 months away!!!!
start by eating some food to put some weight on, the exhausts on that will blow you over
Old 13 Dec 2006, 20:36 (Ref:1790082)   #13
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
396 is a big block, no interim, its either a big block or a small block and thats a Mk V big block! I could run a 396 legally in my yellow car but its so damned heavy why bother although I have been tempted!

Last edited by Al Weyman; 13 Dec 2006 at 20:40.
Old 14 Dec 2006, 07:52 (Ref:1790355)   #14
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
396 is a big block, no interim, its either a big block or a small block and thats a Mk V big block! I could run a 396 legally in my yellow car but its so damned heavy why bother although I have been tempted!
is that why people run 327 instead? Is that a lot lighter?
Old 14 Dec 2006, 08:33 (Ref:1790379)   #15
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
327 is a small block, great little short stroke configuration as it happens and I ran one for a short while I picked up for £150 when I blew an engine and it was a joy to buzz through the gears. It has the 4" bore ot the 350 and in escence is the same block but a .25" shorter throw crank. It weighs exactly the same as a 350 however less maybe a nominal amount less for the shorter stroke crank.

The early 5 litre as fitted to the Z/28 is even more of a screamer with the same 4" bore but a shorter throw crank and smaller big end journals, still same weight though so no advantage there. The latest 305 from the 70's onwards is not so good as features the long stroke crank of the 350 (3.5") but a smaller 3.75 inch bore, still over square and again essentially the same engine but will not bore out to 4".

So if you want lightness (in comparason at least to a Big Block Mk V) and power and remain legal then the best combo is a 350, if you want to cheat (perish the thought in history racing) and have lots of dough then use the 4.25 inch over bore on a Bowtie block which will easy go out to that as its siameased and the 3.5 inch crank and you end up with a BIG over square screamer at around 6 litres or you could go the whole hog and fit the 3.75" crank and hog it out to 6.6 as Rob (Racing 69) has in his Belmont, his is all alloy aftermarket block and heads to boot. You now know why I got so excited and out of my pram in Classic Thunder when someone entered a 6.6 as I know for a FACT that the configuration or the 6 litres in Historic racing is NOT possible with a STANDARD production block as required by the rules, sorry it has to be siamessed to go out to 4.25" to achieve this capacity and I have played with a few including 6.6's!

Unless of course you have loads and loads of dough then run in Group 2 configuration and fit a big block all alloy engine aka Frank Gardener 1971 Camaro Touring Car (just how did the get that through homogation with a production run of about 5 done in some backstreet garage, amazing).

Having said all that the Big Block Mk V even in an all iron configuration can produce some awesome power figures and one of the lads in the CTCRC has just converted his Mk2 Camaro to that spec so it will be interesting to see how my car compares with it next season although I will add mine is a budget project!

Last edited by Al Weyman; 14 Dec 2006 at 08:37.
Old 14 Dec 2006, 08:43 (Ref:1790382)   #16
simon drabble
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
Having said all that the Big Block Mk V even in an all iron configuration can produce some awesome power figures and one of the lads in the CTCRC has just converted his Mk2 Camaro to that spec so it will be interesting to see how my car compares with it next season although I will add mine is a budget project!
The problem Roger has is that he has to stay FIA pre 65 legal. Having said that the consensus seems to be that power should not be too much of an issue. So would you run a 327 or 396 given the choice (bearing in mind reliablity in longer races is as important as outright pace)
Old 14 Dec 2006, 21:11 (Ref:1790873)   #17
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Only my opinion of course but thats a hell of a lot of weight to have over the front wheels, maybe what another 120lbs or more over the 327 so from a handling and breaking aspect I would go for the 327. However from a pure grunt point of view the big block would win hands down in a straight line. So overall as you cannot run a 350 I would settle for the 396 and go and burn some rubber on those skinny little tyres because if nothing else it sure will be fun especially if you can run it as 427 as you will be getting close to 500bhp. I think Bernie uses a 350 and if you could thats what I would run as they are cheaper as well but go with what you have as you cant there are advantages and disavantages to both and may in the end be very circuit dependant on whats the best option.

PS I would say they would both be very reliable but maybe the big engine could have the edge.

Last edited by Al Weyman; 14 Dec 2006 at 21:13.
Old 14 Dec 2006, 21:16 (Ref:1790884)   #18
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
esper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting comments on the Corvette! ( a car I like a lot) But a big block vette stretching her legs on Cammel Straight..................must be realy awesome!
Old 15 Dec 2006, 01:29 (Ref:1791036)   #19
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
The 396s were 425hp from the factory. Mine was dyno'd at the rebuild at 435 and its bog standard. I reckon give it to a good builder and its good for 450-500hp with very little work.

The other good thing is that the papers for the 1965 Corvette 396 allow a rebore up to 427 cu in. This was also the first year to have 4 wheel disc brakes etc.

Roger
Old 15 Dec 2006, 08:23 (Ref:1791154)   #20
simon drabble
Veteran

anyone who has seen Roger pushing the Lotus Cortina to its natural limit of adhesion will understand why we look forward to seeing him find the limits in the Corvette!!!!
I reckon he could do the whole of Luffield sideways!
Old 15 Dec 2006, 19:37 (Ref:1791665)   #21
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
He will find those soon enough thats for sure! I wonder of the Camaro was homologated at 427?

Last edited by Al Weyman; 15 Dec 2006 at 19:39.
Old 15 Dec 2006, 19:56 (Ref:1791677)   #22
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would have thought if you can't get 500hp from a big block (which is only 72hp/litre from a 427) you really aren't trying. A lot of 350's racing would have 500hp! Al's figure of 120lb weight difference would be right. I think it would be a close-run thing, the big block would be noticeably more expensive to build, but has a lot more potential for entertainment!

In the local sportscar category there is a 1968 Corvette running the 427 (Paul Sabine), if you look in the photos I posted in the Sandown thread he came in 2nd in one race to a De Tomaso (prob 5sec back after a 10lap/12-odd min race), and followed by a Shelby GT350 - he regularly dices with that car, which revs to over 8000rpm and would be getting towards 500hp from the 289. There are other Corvettes racing with small blocks, and do basically the same lap times as the big block.
Old 16 Dec 2006, 07:52 (Ref:1791957)   #23
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
IF they could run a 350 then that may be the way to go but they can't they have to stick to a 327 and the only way to make a 350 out of a 327 is a presumably illegal crank change as it won't overbore more than 30thou if you want to be safe whereas they can overbore the 396 to 427 so on balance may be the best route.
Old 16 Dec 2006, 17:24 (Ref:1792204)   #24
pomracer
Racer

pomracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
corvette FIA papers

I have copies of 3 different sets of papers, but before you get too excited I have just moved house so finding them may be difficult!
I skipped through this thread so forgive me if these points already covered:-.........and forgive me whilst I pull my anorak on, take a deep breath and..........
Basically 3 models of the Corvette (second generation, starting in 1963) were actually FIA homologated . General Motors Corvete production years ended in August/September, hence what the Americans may refer to as a "1965" vette or a "'66 bigblock" does not mean that those vehicles were 1965 or 1966 in FIA homologation terms...as we all know this is done on calendar year and 31st Dec cut off. SO...production of the 427 big block coupe commenced in August/Sept 1965 and sufficient numbers built to be homologated by 31st Dec 1965, so it does fall within Period F....and not G as someone has said I think.

The three models that were homologated , as far as I know , were:-

a) the 1963 coupe (the one with the split rear window, the original Stingray)) which was homologated with DRUM brakes and a SMALL BLOCK 327 ci engine,fuel injection.

b) 1965 ROADSTER (ie convertible) with DISC brakes and BIG BLOCK 396 cubic inch engine

and C) the ultimate:- 1965 COUPE with the 427 cu in engine.

The 396 and 427 have different block casting numbers, and if you read the books, there are differences in spec, (but fundamentally both are "big blocks" and fundamentally we are talking the same block.)
The ultimate racing engine, in period, was a version of the 427, so ideally you need correct casting number, ditto for the heads (cast iron of course) So if you want to go racing you want (b) or (C), but suggest (C) far better.
What you cannot do is use a small block engine bored and stroked out to 427 (7 litres) which , with a modern after market block (illegal in App K), rods and crank, is possible and readily available.

Yes there is a big weight and handling penalty versus small block engined cars.

BUT...from a racing point of view, as above (b) and (c) have different homologation papers, and you need to look closely at what actually was listed in each version. By memory (b) only had steel wheels and a few other bits and bobs, whereas the papers for (C) were far far better in that all the 'right' options were homologated including various different diff ratios, 7" aluminum rims, 36 gallon big racing fuel tank, transistorised ignition (YES it was in period), heavy duty suspension, front and rear anti roll bars ..blah blah blah....so I rest my case for (C)

I have run an FIA vette for 4 or 5 years now and researched it a bit before acquiring my car. There wer'nt any in UK back then, now everyone seems to be cottoning on - which is great. I guess that eligibility for Goodwood helps, plus of course they are relatively good value to run as a race car, bits are available etc
One of the problems I found early on was that most Corvettes that you saw were racing in Europe ( at Spa or say at the Oldtimer meeting)and they all seemed to have cherry picked the best bits from all three sets of homologation papers. You still see lots of vettes there with hoods (sorry chaps, I mean bonnets) from 1967 vettes which is incorrect....and there were a couple in Germany running hot small blocks. With FIA papers / HTP now being tightened up, there will inevitably be some cars which will fall off the list!!!
Whereas until recently I would suggest that the MSA were not too knowledgeable on Corvettes, now they are more in the limelight, the HTP inspctors are, shall we say, a little bit more clued up and will know when they are being hoodwinked.
Hope this is helpful. If I can find the sets of papers I will happily send copies to you.
Happy Christmas
Old 18 Dec 2006, 18:08 (Ref:1793834)   #25
Jeremy Hall
Racer

Jeremy Hall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All the homologation papaers are available from the MSA at 25 pounds a set. The above posting seems to have got iy just about right. Menu cars are not acceptable and the German cars which have got under the radar are soon to be seen for what they are-lets say erroneous.
I think having some Corvettes out there will liven things up, but lets remind ourselves of history-GM did not want them racing and the Gran Sports which were meant to see the Cobra's off were stopped dead by the factory.