Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > WTCC & European Touring Car Series

Old 12 Jul 2019, 20:20 (Ref:3917226)   #91
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!
There must be something to Austin running the Alfa during the mid season test. I expect an announcement before 2019 is out
Old 12 Jul 2019, 20:36 (Ref:3917230)   #92
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridredshoes should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridredshoes should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
There must be something to Austin running the Alfa during the mid season test. I expect an announcement before 2019 is out
I suspect that 'something' may be mostly a way of reminding potential sponsors that he is still out there.
Old 12 Jul 2019, 20:42 (Ref:3917232)   #93
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
btccbloke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbtccbloke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I do wonder if they will get given a guest entry for the second half of the year, (if they are serious) to get some running in same as the Moffats are doing. If not, i think its game over for them
Old 12 Jul 2019, 20:52 (Ref:3917235)   #94
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!
Iím sure Gow would let them have a guest entry if Gow was happy for them to. After all the driver, the car and the team are proven in the series
Old 12 Jul 2019, 23:12 (Ref:3917245)   #95
crmalcolm
Veteran

Ireland
crmalcolm is going for a new world record!crmalcolm is going for a new world record!crmalcolm is going for a new world record!crmalcolm is going for a new world record!crmalcolm is going for a new world record!crmalcolm is going for a new world record!crmalcolm is going for a new world record!crmalcolm is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Rob Austin called the Giulia out as being no use because he felt the wheelbase was too long - it was considered, ruled out and the Giulietta became the default as a deal to run an Alfa had been shook on. So unless Rob is convinced otherwise I'd say forget the Giulia. Don't rule the unannounced low riding version of the small SUV out of the equation though. That's if Handy returning is a thing. I think they're done.
The Giulia is shorter than the 3 series, and Austin has also said that RWD is better than FWD.

Every driver will tell you why their car is better than the alternative. Remember that WSR once claimed the 1 series to be a better option than the 3 series because of wheelbase.
Old 12 Jul 2019, 23:16 (Ref:3917246)   #96
crmalcolm
Veteran

Ireland
crmalcolm is going for a new world record!crmalcolm is going for a new world record!crmalcolm is going for a new world record!crmalcolm is going for a new world record!crmalcolm is going for a new world record!crmalcolm is going for a new world record!crmalcolm is going for a new world record!crmalcolm is going for a new world record!
Dick Bennetts said, "We chose the new 1-Series as we felt it was more suitable to the current BTCC regulations. The wheelbase is quite a lot shorter than the new 3-Series car, so it should perform well on the tight twisty circuits that we race on in the UK.
Old 13 Jul 2019, 10:08 (Ref:3917321)   #97
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
btccbloke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbtccbloke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
WSR are using the 3 series because the new 1 series is FWD, BMW are not paying all this money to market a car they no longer sell.
I doubt the length has anything to do with the reason they switched
Old 13 Jul 2019, 10:44 (Ref:3917326)   #98
crmalcolm
Veteran

Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by btccbloke View Post
WSR are using the 3 series because the new 1 series is FWD, BMW are not paying all this money to market a car they no longer sell.
I doubt the length has anything to do with the reason they switched
My point was that you can always take what drivers and teams tell you about why they choose a certain car with a certain level of cynicism.

HMS Racing entered a short FWD Alfa, because the RWD option is too long.
WSR entered an even longer RWD, because the shorter option is FWD.

The two choices are diametrically opposed.
Old 13 Jul 2019, 12:45 (Ref:3917337)   #99
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
My point was that you can always take what drivers and teams tell you about why they choose a certain car with a certain level of cynicism.

HMS Racing entered a short FWD Alfa, because the RWD option is too long.
WSR entered an even longer RWD, because the shorter option is FWD.

The two choices are diametrically opposed.
But as a works team you essentially run what the manufacturer wants you to run. HMS had the choice
Old 13 Jul 2019, 13:43 (Ref:3917356)   #100
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlfisti should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlfisti should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
HMS did indeed have the choice as the sponsorship was from Alfa dealers, who at the time had Giulia and Giuliettas to flog. And unless I'm mixing things up again the Giulia wheelbase is longer than the #HARD VWs. Never mind the BMW 3 series...
Old 13 Jul 2019, 14:20 (Ref:3917371)   #101
crmalcolm
Veteran

Ireland
Quote:
HMS did indeed have the choice as the sponsorship was from Alfa dealers, who at the time had Giulia and Giuliettas to flog. And unless I'm mixing things up again the Giulia wheelbase is longer than the #HARD VWs. Never mind the BMW 3 series...
Giulia 2820mm
3-series 2851mm
CC 2711mm

The car that so many people fear is too dominant has a longer wheelbase (and body length) than the 'too long' Giulia.
Old 13 Jul 2019, 14:21 (Ref:3917372)   #102
crmalcolm
Veteran

Ireland
Quote:
But as a works team you essentially run what the manufacturer wants you to run. HMS had the choice
And chose to not run a RWD, for reasons that WSR are demonstrating as not being valid.
Old 13 Jul 2019, 14:52 (Ref:3917381)   #103
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
As for Excelr8 expect a Mini Clubman in time for the hybrid package. Will help BMW promote electric minis nicely ��
I'm not convinced we will see a Mini Clubman now Mini Challenge has become part of the event
Old 13 Jul 2019, 15:39 (Ref:3917390)   #104
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I'm not convinced we will see a Mini Clubman now Mini Challenge has become part of the event
I hope not... obviously not any team's deciding factor, but I can only imagine an NGTC Clubman would look a bit silly compared to a Jag!
Old 13 Jul 2019, 16:02 (Ref:3917396)   #105
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Btw would Mini be at all possible given that BMW (their owner) has a factory team in the BTCC?