Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > WTCC & European Touring Car Series

Old 21 Jun 2019, 08:55 (Ref:3913259)   #16
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSodemo should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSodemo should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSodemo should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'd prefer to have two qualifying sessions on the Saturday.

Have one practice session of 1hr, then two 45 minute quali sessions. The two sessions would dictate the starting order of race 1 and race 2. Race 3 could be a reverse grid draw or could be the finishing order of race 2.

This way if you mess up in race 1, your weekend isn't effectively over as you will have your quali start place for race 2.
Old 21 Jun 2019, 09:09 (Ref:3913265)   #17
crmalcolm
Veteran

Ireland
crmalcolm is going for a new world record!crmalcolm is going for a new world record!crmalcolm is going for a new world record!crmalcolm is going for a new world record!crmalcolm is going for a new world record!crmalcolm is going for a new world record!crmalcolm is going for a new world record!crmalcolm is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
They did that when they first introduced the reverse grid in 04. That was when Plato kept going slow so he could start further up the grid for R2
That was when the reverse grid was an automatic 10 places as well though.

Now, with the draw, it is more random and harder to place your car in the right place for pole. Look at the most recent result for example:
Chilton 9th- pole.
Moffat 10th - 10th.
Plato 6th - 4th.

Where was the best place to finish in R2 to get then best chance of a good grid slot for R3?
The answer is as high as possible.
Old 23 Jun 2019, 23:08 (Ref:3913800)   #18
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlfisti should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlfisti should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Also Ingram's Toyota arguably looks like a handful compared to the Avensis of last year. I just think that a lot of the competititon are having troubles of their own which coincides with WSR producing a fantastic car. I think the rest of the teams need to look at themselves rather than trying to claw WSR back in.
This I think is bang on:

The FK8 seems a difficult car to get the best of. That BTC are leaving Dynamics behind suggests the BTC drivers and engineers are better than Dynamics at understanding it. Despite Dynamics having a year of running. Camm isn't the man. Competitive but no Gordon Shedden; I feel for sure Dynamics would be on it if Flash were still here.

The Toyota isn't a patch on the Avensis. Maybe it will be in time, but I'm now doubting Tingram snagging many podiums except reverse grid luck ins.

Plato seems to be adjusting well to the Astra but isn't quite there yet. Top 10 rather than Top Cat. Rob C is struggling.

The Motorbase cars are going nowhere fast apart from Sonic - still my outside championship man.

Tordoff has sadly failed to be in the running too many times, with Rory B coming off better by far. Probably AmDs best season ever, but I think I was expecting (hoping?!) for more with the FK2 and driver combo. Still time...

All in all WSR are having it relatively easy so far; AJ is without doubt deserving of the title. Consistency Colin is his biggest challenge.
Old 24 Jun 2019, 07:31 (Ref:3913849)   #19
Liquoriceman
Racer

England
Lancashire
Liquoriceman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I'd prefer to have two qualifying sessions on the Saturday.

Have one practice session of 1hr, then two 45 minute quali sessions. The two sessions would dictate the starting order of race 1 and race 2. Race 3 could be a reverse grid draw or could be the finishing order of race 2.

This way if you mess up in race 1, your weekend isn't effectively over as you will have your quali start place for race 2.
Or stick with the one quali session but use the drivers' two fastest times for race 1 & 2 respectively

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 24 Jun 2019, 07:41 (Ref:3913856)   #20
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlfisti should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlfisti should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I like both the above ideas. Second race is a rinse and repeat of the first to too big a degree. I'd rather see the start of the second based on another qualy lap (seperate session or second best lap) than race one finish. It would add something "genuinely competitive" to the weekend without resorting back to the artificial higher ballast of yester year.
Old 24 Jun 2019, 08:39 (Ref:3913867)   #21
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSodemo should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSodemo should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSodemo should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This is kinda how I would approach it...

9:00am Support quali 1 (30 min)
9:30am Support quali 2 (30 min)
10:00am BTCC practice (45 min)
10:45am Support quali 3 (30 min)
11:15am Support quali 4 (30 min)
11:45am BTCC quali 1 (30 min)
12:15pm Lunch (30 min)
12:45pm Support quali / race 5 (30 min)
13:15pm Support quali / race 6 (30 min)
14:00pm BTCC quali 2 (30 min)

Have the one and only BTCC practice session mid-morning. This would allow people to arrive at the circuit in good time. Then have the support events after, followed by the quali 1 BTCC session before lunch. Then have a break followed by two more support events and then the BTCC quali 2 session after. The reason for the break between the two sessions is to allow for greater chance of track evolution. Maybe the extra rubber down will help, maybe it will hinder? Perhaps rain might fall in the 2 hours or so between the two sessions? You could have it even later like they do now and put it at 3pm or 4pm like it is at some events. Maybe put quali 1 at 1pm and then quali 2 at 3pm, the key is for me to have a fairly large gap so that teams can either make setup changes and the track can evolve.

At the end of the day, what is the point of having two practice sessions? Make one of them a quali session and make it actually count for something.
Old 24 Jun 2019, 08:43 (Ref:3913870)   #22
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post

All in all WSR are having it relatively easy so far; AJ is without doubt deserving of the title. Consistency Colin is his biggest challenge.
you forgot Sutton
Old 24 Jun 2019, 08:47 (Ref:3913872)   #23
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Get rid of ballast & option tyres, race 2 grid has top 5 reversed and race 3 has top 10 reversed?
Old 24 Jun 2019, 09:02 (Ref:3913876)   #24
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!
We had two qualis for the diamond jubilee race at Snett last season. No reason why they can't do it again
Old 24 Jun 2019, 09:02 (Ref:3913877)   #25
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
At the end of the day, what is the point of having two practice sessions? Make one of them a quali session and make it actually count for something.
they need two practice sessions as they dont have any pre-event testing on the friday like the support races do
Old 24 Jun 2019, 09:09 (Ref:3913883)   #26
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by touring fan01 View Post
they need two practice sessions as they dont have any pre-event testing on the friday like the support races do
OK, but do they need two?
Old 24 Jun 2019, 09:26 (Ref:3913885)   #27
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
btccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbtccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touring fan01 View Post
Then give them 30 mins late on friday, all the teams are there anyway.
There are way around that
Old 24 Jun 2019, 09:31 (Ref:3913886)   #28
crmalcolm
Veteran

Ireland
crmalcolm is going for a new world record!crmalcolm is going for a new world record!crmalcolm is going for a new world record!crmalcolm is going for a new world record!crmalcolm is going for a new world record!crmalcolm is going for a new world record!crmalcolm is going for a new world record!crmalcolm is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by btccbloke View Post
Then give them 30 mins late on friday, all the teams are there anyway.
There are way around that
*** Edit - wrong info posted ***

Last edited by crmalcolm; 24 Jun 2019 at 09:36.
Old 24 Jun 2019, 09:41 (Ref:3913887)   #29
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what his this future wish list got to do with a discussion on oulton park this weekend anyway?
Old 24 Jun 2019, 10:00 (Ref:3913892)   #30
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
btccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbtccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
*** Edit - wrong info posted ***
I seem to remember BMR being allowed this to shakedown the Subaru's so clearly possible