Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 20 Aug 2011, 09:37 (Ref:2943268)   #301
Andy Trapnell
Rookie

Australia
Sydney. Australia
Andy Trapnell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
G'day all.
Old 20 Aug 2011, 12:21 (Ref:2943312)   #302
ascona i2000
Racer

ascona i2000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Trapnell View Post
G'day all.
Blimey, Hi Andy.
Its Dave Hickton here, the what was then young lad that used to be with Ray alot. You will be glad to know that i am still racing (won at thruxton last sat) the yellow Ascona that was born out of the white one.
Hope all is well with you.
Old 20 Aug 2011, 13:20 (Ref:2943321)   #303
Andy Trapnell
Rookie

Australia
Sydney. Australia
Hi Dave,
Really glad she ended up with you.
Congrats on the Thruxton win! Ballsy driving needed on that circuit if it's anything like it was when I raced there.
Very fond memories of the Ascona. Pleased it's in good hands.
Best,
A
Old 20 Aug 2011, 18:40 (Ref:2943380)   #304
John Hammersley
Rookie

United Kingdom
Stone Staffordshire
John Hammersley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Andy, what took you to Oz, (apart from the lifestyle & weather)! What happened to the XR2? - didn't take it with you did you?
Old 20 Aug 2011, 18:49 (Ref:2943383)   #305
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Hi Andy I recognise that name.
Old 20 Aug 2011, 21:56 (Ref:2943485)   #306
Andy Trapnell
Rookie

Australia
Sydney. Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hammersley View Post
Hi Andy, what took you to Oz, (apart from the lifestyle & weather)! What happened to the XR2? - didn't take it with you did you?
Hi John,
Glad to hear you're still having a go! I well remember you mentoring me as a new boy to line up half of the nose of the Fiesta with the marshal's post at Thruxton and keep 'yer foot in'.... grateful(and surprised) it actually worked!
I got interested in historic tarmac rallying and entered the Targa NZ(twice in MK1 RS2000 and Viva GT) which took me to Sydney on the way home. Loved it and moved here 11 years ago. Children came next so don't compete apart from the odd track day although having moved from the beach to a country acreage I have my own 'special stage' on the way home from Sydney each night! Far enough from civilisation that rarely any other cars around although very occasionally I hook up with a local also coming home. (Had a pow wow with a tricked up Holden Maloo V8 ute the other night) ..... in a tweaked Peugeot 407 diesel(the poor thing!)
Currently playing with a very rapid boat (off shore RIB), a fettled 911 turbo and a 'handfull' of a 5.0V8 TR8.
Nice to hear so many familiar names.
A
Old 21 Aug 2011, 04:49 (Ref:2943564)   #307
John Hammersley
Rookie

United Kingdom
Stone Staffordshire
Hi Andy, good to hear from you - the lifestyle sounds pretty good too! Wish I'd known you were in Sydeney, we were out there in February so could have caught up! Good to hear the "unofficial" competetive spirit still remains - once a racer always a racer
Old 22 Aug 2011, 12:05 (Ref:2944086)   #308
Andy Trapnell
Rookie

Australia
Sydney. Australia
Hi John,
Would have been nice to catch up.
Hoilday idea:Now I know you've done a lot in motorsport but a week away doing a Targa rally was a major highlight for me. I'd highly recommend it. Targa Tas or Targa NZ offer an intense week/holiday. Best to rent the car as I did the 2nd time.
Of course can be fraught with disaster as nobody is allowed to recky the course and exact route is withheld beforehand. Friend, (Alan Hind) didn't have an easy run as co-driver)! .......
www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiszC0eb2Vk
Old 22 Aug 2011, 13:36 (Ref:2944138)   #309
John Hammersley
Rookie

United Kingdom
Stone Staffordshire
Hi Andy, strangley enough any kind of rallying has never appealed - I like to know where the corners go before I commit to them, and the one thing you can guarantee on a race circuit is that the corner will be in the same place it was on the lap before!
Old 22 Aug 2011, 13:46 (Ref:2944144)   #310
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I gotta agree with John, looks a very dangerous sport for driver and spectator alike. Look at the guys standing by the wrecked car as the rally cars are still coming through at a blistering pace, do they think it can't happen in the same spot again!!!
Old 22 Aug 2011, 15:17 (Ref:2944184)   #311
Andy Trapnell
Rookie

Australia
Sydney. Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
I gotta agree with John, looks a very dangerous sport for driver and spectator alike. Look at the guys standing by the wrecked car as the rally cars are still coming through at a blistering pace, do they think it can't happen in the same spot again!!!
Hi Al/John,
I found it very hard to change the anticipation level. But it's the same for everyone. About day two you start to get into a different mindset. You can't go 'circuit familiar' full bore mode. It's more like nicking 1/2 a second a stage if you're lucky. If you leave the tarmac it's likely to be trees etc...... Peter Brock springs to mind. Still, it's a blast to do. If you want to be near the front you've got to take risks just like circuit racing but more drama if you fk up. Obviously there are the semi pro s like Jim Richards in a current 911 turbo you'd never beat but a second in class was job done for me.
Think it's a big tick off in life to complete and be up there and I'd urge like minded people to have a go. (I'm thinking of it again as bleeding as old as I am)
Best,
A
Old 22 Aug 2011, 15:30 (Ref:2944192)   #312
John Hammersley
Rookie

United Kingdom
Stone Staffordshire
Nope! It's not for me! I'm into my 34rd consecutive season, still managing the odd win, and in 34 years I've only spent 1 night in hospital (courtesy of the "Ring 24 hour race). Trees, sheer drops, spectators Etc. don't figure in my plans, I'll stick to still trying to do "Church" flat (OK with just a slight lift nowadays!)
Old 22 Aug 2011, 20:38 (Ref:2944384)   #313
micky rason
Rookie

United Kingdom
hertfordshire
micky rason should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I'm into my 34rd consecutive season,
34rd??? the age is telling now John
my claim to fame? i was and etc to John Hammersly

Hi Andy, nice to see you on here mate nice to hear your well. As for the rallying thing.... the Robert Kubica crash springs to mind have you seen the pics? And di anybody see the prog about Grand Prix last night? some of those circuits in the 60s and 70s looked like special stages!
Old 23 Aug 2011, 00:41 (Ref:2944482)   #314
Andy Trapnell
Rookie

Australia
Sydney. Australia
Quote:
Nope! It's not for me! I'm into my 34rd consecutive season, still managing the odd win, and in 34 years I've only spent 1 night in hospital (courtesy of the "Ring 24 hour race). Trees, sheer drops, spectators Etc. don't figure in my plans, I'll stick to still trying to do "Church" flat (OK with just a slight lift nowadays!)
John,
Actually you're quite right. It's quite a risky pursuit. The first one I did was going well and was leading class comfortably until a lose on the 4th day of 5. Backwards off a ravine and landed in a tree. Immediate thought at the time was we'd need one of those massive twin blade helicopters to get the car out. At least I could walk around it underneath and check for chassis damage! The car had some rear damage but getting it down from the tree caused most. Luckily we flew the 75 metres to our perch in the tree without hitting anything. After a frantic night of welding/straightening the wiring loom caught fire as we left the line for the TV/publicity town center stage the next morning
On the second attempt a year later, we were fighting for a class win on the last day and a forestry worker opened a locked gate (on a closed stage) and drove towards us. That resulted in a very near head on with about 1 foot to spare. My brother was co driver and didn't even see the pick up flash past.
At that point I questioned the whole sanity of what we were doing and cruised to 2nd. I also very much felt like I'd used my nine lives.
John, remind us of the 24 hour race incident. Have vague memory you were minding your own business and a low flying 911 landed on you?
34 seasons....that's huge!
Similarly,I believe that Jim Richards as done 19 Targa Tasmania's and won 8 times. Guessing a similar record for Targa NZ...that's a lot of lives!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaXo70IVpAM

Hi Mick, well remember the nicely turned out Minis.
A
Old 23 Aug 2011, 01:02 (Ref:2944487)   #315
Andy Trapnell
Rookie

Australia
Sydney. Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by micky rason View Post
34rd??? the age is telling now John
my claim to fame? i was and etc to John Hammersly

Hi Andy, nice to see you on here mate nice to hear your well. As for the rallying thing.... the Robert Kubica crash springs to mind have you seen the pics? And di anybody see the prog about Grand Prix last night? some of those circuits in the 60s and 70s looked like special stages!
Hi Mick,
No, not seen that one. Do you have a link?
Does anyone remember the F1 driver who binned a Jag road car with the press aboard?..no helmets either!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XxU9IVwg-U
Old 23 Aug 2011, 07:24 (Ref:2944546)   #316
John Hammersley
Rookie

United Kingdom
Stone Staffordshire
[QUOTE=Andy Trapnell;2944482]
John, remind us of the 24 hour race incident. Have vague memory you were minding your own business and a low flying 911 landed on you?

And you recomend trying rallying - no way! The Porsche 911 at the Ring still brings shudders to my spine. It hit the rear of my little Pug 205 just as I turned into a flat in top corner at 130MPH and I got rolled end over end. On the 3rd roll the roll cage collapsed and left me hanging out of the windscreen aperture. Luckily it didn't roll a 4th time, or I guess I may not be here writing this. Just goes to prove that as it says on the ticket "motorsport is dangerous", but even so I'll stick to the circuits! One biggy in 34 years is still a good ratio! (and I raced the XR2 you bought off me the following weekend at Brands and won it, but boy did I hurt after that race!)
Old 23 Aug 2011, 10:16 (Ref:2944616)   #317
Andy Trapnell
Rookie

Australia
Sydney. Australia
[QUOTE=John Hammersley;2944546]
Quote:

And you recomend trying rallying - no way! The Porsche 911 at the Ring still brings shudders to my spine. It hit the rear of my little Pug 205 just as I turned into a flat in top corner at 130MPH and I got rolled end over end. On the 3rd roll the roll cage collapsed and left me hanging out of the windscreen aperture. Luckily it didn't roll a 4th time, or I guess I may not be here writing this. Just goes to prove that as it says on the ticket "motorsport is dangerous", but even so I'll stick to the circuits! One biggy in 34 years is still a good ratio! (and I raced the XR2 you bought off me the following weekend at Brands and won it, but boy did I hurt after that race!)
.......guess it's about when you're card is punched. And there was me last July trying to line up a rental 911 from Germany to do the ring.....
Old 3 Sep 2011, 22:05 (Ref:2950494)   #318
micky rason
Rookie

United Kingdom
hertfordshire
Quote:
Hi Mick,
No, not seen that one. Do you have a link?
Does anyone remember the F1 driver who binned a Jag road car with the press aboard?..no helmets either!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XxU9IVwg-U
hi andy just goolge robert kubica crash and you will find it there are a lot of simulations but also some real pics if you look hard enough. some show the armco barrier comming through the car and out the tailgate (i have a feeling some have been taken off now)
Mick.
Old 23 Mar 2012, 23:12 (Ref:3047324)   #319
micky rason
Rookie

United Kingdom
hertfordshire
Hi Andy if your still viewing this thread ......

http://youtu.be/D_XzVzCP8-A

most of the pics i viewed before have been taken down.
Old 24 Mar 2012, 10:34 (Ref:3047431)   #320
pondlive
Rookie

England
Hampshire
pondlive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mod Prod Race from Pembrey

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vq0UPGKbo-o

Apologies for the shaky video, it was early days with the camera and all handheld by my Dad.

Hope you enjoy,

Tony.
Old 24 Mar 2012, 12:08 (Ref:3047452)   #321
ascona i2000
Racer

Brilliant video Tony, thats going back a bit! 22 years ago seems unreal it was that long ago. Terry Stone in the red corolla and Roger Ebdon in the blue fiesta, who was in the white front drive corolla? Have you got any more videos??

Dave
Old 24 Mar 2012, 12:33 (Ref:3047462)   #322
pondlive
Rookie

England
Hampshire
Dave,

Yes a long time ago. Lots of fun!

Ian Mcreath and Roger Ebdon used to drive the light blue XR2's.
Bob Hawkins in the fwd Corolla I believe.

I do have more on vhs, but I had to leave that uploading on youtube overnight as it takes bloody ages.

I am using an easy cap/ulead to get them on the computer which is not too bad, but I want to get them onto a more stable media before the tapes deteriorate any more.

As you can tell I'm not a computer expert!
Any hints or tips anyone?

Tony.
Old 24 Mar 2012, 17:00 (Ref:3047544)   #323
ascona i2000
Racer

Sorry cant help with computer stuff, you lost me there with that jargon!!! Be cool to see more when you get time! Did you say you still have a sunbeam??
Dave
Old 24 Mar 2012, 17:31 (Ref:3047552)   #324
pondlive
Rookie

England
Hampshire
Dave,

I may try and put up one from Thruxton later tonight. Don't hold your breath though.

I still have the last Sunbeam I raced with, and an Avon version.

Tony.
Old 24 Mar 2012, 19:05 (Ref:3047590)   #325
John Hammersley
Rookie

United Kingdom
Stone Staffordshire
Close but no cigar boys! The light blue XR2 was me, Roger & Ian drove the Torquiose XR2. Mike Helm was in the red XR2. My XR2 was sold to Andy Trapnell when we then went on to our Astra GTE. Happy days!