Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Closed Thread

Old 18 Apr 2003, 06:24 (Ref:572824)   #1
tanalised
Veteran

New Zealand
new zealand
tanalised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Possum Bourne in Serious Crash

Nz's Poussum Bourne has been critically injured in a crash in Wanaka , NZ, while coming down from Mt Cardrona following recconaisance of the course for the "race for the sky". He and another vehicle collided head on. He has been airflifted to hospital with serious head injuries and broken legs.
This bloke is a legend in New Zealand and I am stricken at this news. I wish him the best in initial treatment and recovery, and my thoughts are with his family.
Old 18 Apr 2003, 06:33 (Ref:572826)   #2
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Possum Bourne in Serious Crash

Quote:
Originally posted by tanalised
Nz's Poussum Bourne has been critically injured in a crash in Wanaka , NZ, while coming down from Mt Cardrona following recconaisance of the course for the "race for the sky". He and another vehicle collided head on. He has been airflifted to hospital with serious head injuries and broken legs.
This bloke is a legend in New Zealand and I am stricken at this news. I wish him the best in initial treatment and recovery, and my thoughts are with his family.
Really terrible news - please keep us all up to date - that would be appreciated. Best wishes for a speedy and full recovery to Possum.
Old 18 Apr 2003, 06:54 (Ref:572829)   #3
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Marcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMarcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Possum Bourne in serious head-on

Top Kiwi rally driver Possum Bourne has been involved in a serious head-on car smash, just a day before he was set to drive in the Race To The Sky mountain climb in Queenstown.

Bourne wasn't even racing when he crashed. He was on the Mount Cardrona race course checking out the road and conditions before Saturday's event.

Bourne was driving his road car and travelling downhill.

The two cars in the crash were reduced to twisted scrap in the crash, trapping Bourne inside his station wagon. It took rescue teams an hour to cut him from his crippled vehicle.

The other car in the head on crash is believed to have been driven by an electrician who had been working on the course.

Rescue teams worked frantically to free the drivers, with helicopters on standby to airlift them to surgery.

Both drivers were flown by rescue helicopter to hospital, with injuries described as serious.

Bourne reportedly had multiple injuries to his head, chest and legs and was designated as 'status one' - the highest medical priority.

The other driver, Michael Baltrop, was also classified as status one.

Police say speed is not thought to be a factor.

Bourne's wife Peggy was nearby when the crash took place. She accompanied him to hospital.

Bourne has been on top of his game lately. With a new car, top backing and a string of recent successes, 2003 was expected to be Possum's year.

It's too soon to say how long he'll take to recover, or if he will ever drive

http://onenews.nzoom.com/onenews_det...88-1-7,00.html
Old 18 Apr 2003, 07:55 (Ref:572861)   #4
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dunedin Hospital

Quote:
Originally posted by Stranger
Possum Bourne in serious head-on

url]http://onenews.nzoom.com/onenews_detail/0,1227,184088-1-7,00.html[/url]
Possum helicoptered to Dunedin Hospital along with the track electrician, both in a serious condition. Possum in and out of consciousness.
Old 18 Apr 2003, 09:17 (Ref:572917)   #5
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jesus... That guy is indeed a legend down under. I hope he pulls through.
Old 18 Apr 2003, 09:38 (Ref:572932)   #6
Tracy
Veteran

New Zealand
Palmerston North, New Zealand
Tracy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here is the article on possums website (www.possumbourne.co.nz), along with an address where you can send messages of support:

2003-04-18

We ask you to please pray for Possum as he lies critically ill in Dunedin hospital following a head-on collision at Cardrona, Queenstown earlier this afternoon.

The Race to the Sky this weekend is an event Possum and his Team always look forward to and is the 2nd largest Motorsport event in New Zealand following Propecia Rally NZ.

Possums family are with him now and we sincerely ask that you support them in your thoughts and prayers along with the other driver who is also in hospital suffering a broken leg.

Our love and prayers go to Possum, Peggy and children, his mum Peggy, sister Kristine and children, Kevin, Lynn and family and Debbie.

You may attach a message to our PWRC sight and/or send an email address direct to: possum@possumbourne.co.nz; kristine@possumbourne.co.nz; or myself moya@possumbourne.co.nz and I will personally see that all messages will be forwarded while they are currently with Possum in Dunedin Hospital.
Old 18 Apr 2003, 14:01 (Ref:573192)   #7
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No

Please pull through Possum...it'd be terrible to lose such a legend in the Australian Rally. I really hope he pulls through, but it's not sounding to good is it
Old 18 Apr 2003, 14:10 (Ref:573203)   #8
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Marcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMarcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dunedin Hospital duty co-ordinator Peter Munro says Baltrop's condition is stable. He says the families of both men have asked for no other details to be released.

Baltrop was also due to race in the weekend competition.
Old 18 Apr 2003, 14:38 (Ref:573227)   #9
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Seems to have been a bad run for injuries recently across motorsport, I really hope Possum pulls through and returns to racing in due course. It sounds like a freak accident that can't be legislated against.
Old 18 Apr 2003, 18:03 (Ref:573385)   #10
MichaelH
Veteran

Ukraine
Northumberland, England
MichaelH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
oh God......that's the last thing we needed after Kato...best of wishes to Possum and his family at this difficult time.

already has the makings of a tragic year this, like 1999 and 2001. Please pull through Possum.
Old 18 Apr 2003, 23:25 (Ref:573614)   #11
Tracy
Veteran

New Zealand
Update after 11am news here in NZ

Possum is still in critical condition after undergoing surgery last night . The race to the sky is beginning today, after a delay for police to investigate the crash scene.
Old 19 Apr 2003, 00:50 (Ref:573654)   #12
Antrodemus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

New Zealand
Wellington, NZ
Antrodemus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According to my local paper (The Press) the car that hit Possum was the last in an 11-car convoy heading up the hill, and dusty conditions may have played a part.

More next hour I guess.
Old 19 Apr 2003, 07:44 (Ref:573789)   #13
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Our thoughts and prays are with Possum & his family.
Old 19 Apr 2003, 08:57 (Ref:573839)   #14
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Apparently he is now been upgraded to "Serious" from Critical, so let's hope he makes it.
Old 19 Apr 2003, 10:26 (Ref:573911)   #15
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
Cough!!

Quote:
Originally posted by DNQ
Apparently he is now been downgraded to "Serious" from Critical, thats a good sign!! so let's hope he makes it.
Old 19 Apr 2003, 20:48 (Ref:574332)   #16
Tracy
Veteran

New Zealand
Hi All

Here is another update from www.possumbourne.co.nz

Apparently he has received over 120 messages to his website so far from fans offering support. Keep improving Possum!

Bulletin No. 34 | SATURDAY 19TH APRIL 2003 (GMT+10:00)

Possum Bourne condition update - Saturday evening

Subaru Rally Team Australia driver Possum Bourne is out of the operating theatreat Dunedin Hospital, New Zealand, where he is now listed in a serious but stablecondition after leg and head injuries sustained in a traffic accident yesterday.

The operation was to surgically stabilise his broken legs with pins, which was successful.

He is now resting. Part of the ongoing treatment is to keep him asleep in a druginduced coma.

Possum's wife Peggy and his family remain at his side.
Peggy said: "Every day he remains stable is important. But we're through the firstday and we've just got to take it day-by-day. The kids and I, and all the family, arejust so grateful for the level of support we've all received at this very difficult time.

"Everybody who has been involved with Possum has been wonderful, from the crewon site at the accident, to the air ambulance team who got him to Dunedin and the staffat the Dunedin Hospital."

The accident occurred near Queenstown, on New Zealand's south island.

Further bulletins will be issued as confirmed information becomes available
Old 20 Apr 2003, 00:42 (Ref:574455)   #17
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
Good Sign

Quote:
Originally posted by Tracy
Hi All

Subaru Rally Team Australia driver Possum Bourne is out of the operating theatreat Dunedin Hospital, New Zealand, where he is now listed in a serious but stablecondition after leg and head injuries sustained in a traffic accident yesterday.

The operation was to surgically stabilise his broken legs with pins, which was successful.

He is now resting. Part of the ongoing treatment is to keep him asleep in a druginduced coma.

Orthopaedics usually follow stabilisation of head injuries and a check that the body can indeed take the shock of surgery (is there a doctor in the house?) therefore, I see this as good news to a certain extent.
Old 20 Apr 2003, 01:47 (Ref:574478)   #18
Tracy
Veteran

New Zealand
Hi All

Message from www.possumpwrc.com:

Bulletin No. 35 | SUNDAY 20TH APRIL 2003 (GMT+12:00)

New Zealand's top rally driver Possum Bourne today remains in a serious but stable condition in the Intensive Care Unit of Dunedin Hospital, New Zealand, following a traffic accident on Friday.

As part of the ongoing treatment of his head injuries he remains in a medically induced coma.

This treatment will not change in the short term.

Family and friends spent the night at his beside and remain with him today.

Possum's wife Peggy says the level of support from New Zealand and indeed around the world has been phenomenal and has buoyed the family.

"To all of Possum's fans and the well-wishers, a big thank you. It's a very difficult time for us all but the support makes the difference.

"I also want to express our ongoing gratitude for the fantastic work that all the staff at Dunedin Hospital are doing for Possum."

Messages can be left at the website www.possumpwrc.co.nz on the message board, or faxed to New Zealand 09 238 5737.
Old 20 Apr 2003, 08:41 (Ref:574603)   #19
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
Get em coming

Quote:
Originally posted by Tracy
Hi All etc
Thanks Tracey - keep up the good work. I saw on RPM today that a Subaru heavy flew from Oz to be by Possums bedside.
Old 20 Apr 2003, 08:45 (Ref:574605)   #20
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Get em coming

Quote:
Originally posted by 275 GTB-4
Thanks Tracey - keep up the good work. I saw on RPM today that a Subaru heavy flew from Oz to be by Possums bedside.
The guy your talking about is Mark Stacey, Possums navigator
Old 20 Apr 2003, 08:54 (Ref:574610)   #21
Tracy
Veteran

New Zealand
Hi all

Latest from www.possumpwrc.com

Message from Possum's co-driver, Mark Stacey

I, like everyone, have been devastated by what has occurred to Possum. We are struggling to come to grip with the situation which our friend and colleague finds himself in.

The feeling of shock and disbelief is shared by all.

Between those of us with Possum in these crucial hours, we have between us received hundreds of calls and messages conveying the love and absolute faith that we all share.

Possum is by far the most tenacious man and willing fighter that I know. We all know he will be fighting every inch of the way through this battle.

For Possum we must accept that he knows we are barracking for him. For the rest of us, I find it difficult to express just how much support and encouragement we feel knowing your love and prayers are with us.

Also, this is from www.stuff.co.nz

Police say charges could follow Possum crash
20 April 2003
By BARRY CLARKE

Police are considering laying careless or dangerous driving charges after the crash which has left Kiwi rally ace Possum Bourne in a drug-induced coma in hospital.

Constable Lynne Donaldson said last night: "We are not looking at Possum Bourne. There's no evidence that Bourne was on the wrong side of the road."

Bourne, 47, suffered serious head injuries and two broken legs in the crash on a skifield access road at Cardrona, near Wanaka, on Friday.

He was descending the narrow road he had been checking out for Race to the Sky, an event in which he was to compete this weekend.

Disaster struck about 12.30pm when he collided with a Jeep Cherokee driven by fellow competitor Michael Barltrop, of Kingston.

Barltrop's vehicle was the second to last in a convoy of 11 driving uphill to check out the road. Barltrop suffered a broken leg and had surgery at Dunedin Hospital yesterday. His passenger was unhurt.

The general manager of Possum Bourne Motor Sport, Murray Brown, said Bourne's condition had been downgraded from critical to serious yesterday. A four-hour operation in Dunedin Hospital to pin his broken legs yesterday was successful.

Bourne is being kept in a drug-induced coma and Brown could not say when he would be brought out of the coma or if the injuries would end his career. He is a three-time Asia-Pacific championship winner and our only professional rally driver.

Bourne's wife, Peggy, and his children, Taylor, seven, Spencer, four, and Jazlin, three, were at his side.

Said Peggy: "Every day he remains stable is important. But we're through the first day.

"The kids and I and all the family are just so grateful with the level of support we've all received.

"Everybody who has been involved with Possum has been wonderful from the crew on site of the accident to the air ambulance team who got him to Dunedin and the staff of Dunedin Hospital."

Donaldson confirmed both vehicles were travelling at 60km/h or less. Bourne was wearing a seatbelt and the airbags inflated on impact.

A police serious crash investigator was at the scene yesterday.

The maximum penalty for the most serious charge, dangerous driving causing injury, is five years' jail, a $20,000 fine and an automatic 12 month loss of licence.

I really hope that no charges come of this, or it will be even more tragic than it already is!
Old 22 Apr 2003, 04:03 (Ref:576091)   #22
Tracy
Veteran

New Zealand
Hi All

From www.possumpwrc.co.nz

Possum Bourne update - Monday April 21, 2003, 4.30pm

Now over 72 hours after the traffic accident in which he sustained head and shoulder injuries, Subaru Rally driver Possum Bourne remains in a serious but stable condition at Dunedin General Hospital, New Zealand.

He remains in a drug-induced coma.

Goodwill messages continue to flood in at the Possum Bourne website via fax. Messages can be left at the website www.possumpwrc.co.nz on the message board, or faxed to New Zealand 09 238 5737. (From Australia: 0011 64 9 238 5737).

His wife Peggy was with him throughout the night and spent many hours reading the messages.

She said: "Family and friends are reading the messages and we're touched by the number of people who care and how heartfelt their wishes are.

"So many people are expressing their absolute faith that he will overcome the challenge he currently faces. I know that Possum would be truly humbled by the response and I am saving each and every message for him."

The accident occurred in the lead-up to the Race to the Sky near Queenstown, New Zealand, on Friday April 18 between Possum???s Subaru Forester and another vehicle. It was a traffic accident on the public road used in the event, but neither vehicle was involved in official activities for the event.

Also, from www.stuff.co.nz

Barltrop devastated by crash, fiancee says
22 April 2003
By JOANNA NORRIS

The man badly injured when his vehicle collided with a car being driven by top rally driver Possum Bourne was a "devoted Possum fan" and devastated by Friday's crash, his fiancee said yesterday.

Kingston man Mike Barltrop received serious leg injuries in the crash, which left Bourne with serious head and leg injuries. Both men have been undergoing treatment in Dunedin Hospital after the crash on the Waiorau Snow Farm access road near Cardrona on Friday.

Bourne was in a serious but stable condition in intensive care last night.

Mr Barltrop and his fiancee, Rebecca Greer, were due to marry in five weeks, but now could only concentrate on the events at hand, Miss Greer said.

Mr Barltrop, a self-employed locksmith and aerial technician, had recovered sufficiently yesterday to request an interview with police, she said.

Her fiancee could remember details of the crash, which happened when he was travelling up the hill with several vehicles in preparation for the Race to the Sky hillclimb. However, Miss Greer declined to comment on Mr Barltrop's recollections.

"That's what the police are doing. That's up to them to go through what happened," she said.

Wanaka police said the investigation could take more than five weeks.

Meanwhile, Mr Barltrop, who will be on crutches for up to five months after undergoing surgery on his left leg, and Miss Greer had offered words of support to Bourne's family.

"Mike has been a devoted Possum fan for more than 18 years. Our thoughts and wishes are with Possum and wife Peggy and we hope we all get through this ordeal safely."

Miss Greer said the couple wanted to thank many people who had offered support, including family, friends, hospital staff and other race competitors.

A spokesman for the Bourne family and Bourne's Subaru team, Ian Chesterman, said the family had been overwhelmed by the level of support from New Zealand and around the world.

In a statement, Peggy Bourne said she was "truly touched" by the level of support.

"So many people are expressing absolute faith he will overcome the challenge he is facing and I know Possum would be overwhelmed by the response," she said.

Bourne's co-driver, Mark Stacey, who has been supporting Bourne in Dunedin Hospital, is due to fly back to Australia today to join their team-mates at the Rally of Canberra, in which Australian driver Cody Crocker will represent Subaru.
Old 22 Apr 2003, 06:41 (Ref:576155)   #23
Tracy
Veteran

New Zealand
Hi All

More from www.possumpwrc.co.nz

Bulletin No. 38 | TUESDAY 22ND APRIL 2003 (GMT+12:00)

Medical staff at Dunedin General Hospital remain comfortable that Possum Bourne's condition is where they would expect it to be at this stage of his treatment.

However, his condition does remain serious but stable and he will continue to remain in a drug induced coma.

Possum's sister, Kristine Game, said: "No-one should underestimate the challenge Possum faces, but he is fighting as hard as those that know him would expect him to. We are blown away by the level of support, and so will Possum be when he sees the response he has created, which is staggering.

"We are a strong family and we are going okay. It's tough but we're hanging in there and the extended family we have in the rally fraternity is also helping us greatly."

Goodwill messages continue to flood in at the Possum Bourne website via fax. Messages can be left at the website www.possumpwrc.co.nz on the message board, or faxed to 09 238 5737.
Old 22 Apr 2003, 06:52 (Ref:576163)   #24
True Believer
Racer

True Believer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I presume a medically induced coma is there to stop the brain swell... so its still dangerous this many days out.

Old Poss isnt out of the woods yet it seems, and while it seems things are getting better, if the swelling doesnt get better soon, the prognosis isnt fantastic...

Take care Poss.. you still have work to do this side of the pond shoing these 2 young guys what for
Old 24 Apr 2003, 05:09 (Ref:579023)   #25
Tracy
Veteran

New Zealand
Hi All

More from www.possumpwrc.co.nz

Bulletin No. 39 | THURSDAY 24TH APRIL 2003 (GMT+12:00)

Possum Bourne remains in a serious but stable condition in Dunedin Hospital's Intensive Car Unit in a drug induced coma.

Possum's wife Peggy and his family remain at his bedside.

"I'm so proud of him for putting up this amazing fight in his battle to overcome this tragedy," said Peggy.

"The response from the New Zealand public and rally fans, indeed from people all around the world has been amazing."

"Their concerns and care for Possum has been so clearly expressed through cards, faxes, emails and messages, which continue to give us strength."

"Everybody knows the incredible passion Possum has for rallying. I know he wishes everybody well at this weekend's Canberra Rally, especially his Subaru team-mates."

"Just by being there Cody (Crocker), Greg (Folletta), Dean (Herridge) and Glenn (McNeill) and the whole team are doing Possum proud."
Closed Thread