Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 6 Dec 2006, 01:08 (Ref:1782940)   #1
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So I'm guessing this means 7 won't be showing Champ Cars next year...
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 6 Dec 2006, 01:13 (Ref:1782945)   #2
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Spot on Chatters, just going to show the taxi's
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 6 Dec 2006, 02:06 (Ref:1782968)   #3
Average Punter
Veteran

Australia
a drug store in Wagga
Average Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Absolutely!

But pete, my point is that if Channel 7 aren't going to broadcast the Champ Cars, will they even come???
Punters Beer Fest. Indy 02, Clipsal 03, Winton 04, Paperclip 05, Darwin 06, Oran Park 07, Phillip Island 08, Sandown 09, Townsville 10, Symmons 11, Eastern Creek 12, Winton 13. Townsville 14. Paperclip 15, Sandown 16, Symmons 17, PI 18, The Bend 19
Old 6 Dec 2006, 02:09 (Ref:1782971)   #4
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Why wouldnt they come? The crew at AVE could supply a full coverage to a good standard, and they dont even have to show the output in Australia. Now quite whether the Queensland Government would be very happy to prop up a race that nobody would be able to see domestically would be an interesting challenge, and question for Mr Beattie
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 6 Dec 2006, 02:15 (Ref:1782973)   #5
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
to the US

Are the Champcar races televised in the US ? Practice? Who shows it?

Commercial reality may dictate there will be television coverage, but will it be shown in Aus?

Coch0 is out of his league when the politicians are holding the purse strings or so it seems.

SA, Tas & NT regard their events as successes, WA want international exposure, NSW not interested in sending more money the V8s way, & Coch0 walked from Vic.

Interesting days ahead.
Old 6 Dec 2006, 04:10 (Ref:1783016)   #6
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavvy
Are the Champcar races televised in the US ? Practice? Who shows it?
ABC/ESPN will be showing the 2007 CCWS. Potential audience grows by up to 50 million homes in 07 by this move to the channel
Old 6 Dec 2006, 04:34 (Ref:1783025)   #7
cptkablamo
Veteran

Australia
cptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would also suspect that the CCWS will be televised on ESPN on Austar/Foxtel as it was when CART was with those networks in the past and as the IRL has been in the recent past...

Plus if nothing comes off it maybe a user pays scenario where CCWS pays for the series to shown on Ch10 (or other) and then CCWS gets the ad revenue from that...
Old 6 Dec 2006, 05:06 (Ref:1783035)   #8
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptkablamo
I would also suspect that the CCWS will be televised on ESPN on Austar/Foxtel as it was when CART was with those networks in the past and as the IRL has been in the recent past...

Plus if nothing comes off it maybe a user pays scenario where CCWS pays for the series to shown on Ch10 (or other) and then CCWS gets the ad revenue from that...
ESPN make a big deal about IRL so I'm not sure if they would cover Champ car + they have Nascar next year don't they...

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 6 Dec 2006, 05:56 (Ref:1783045)   #9
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by retro
ESPN make a big deal about IRL so I'm not sure if they would cover Champ car + they have Nascar next year don't they...
ABC/ESPN are showing both next, the difference being ABC/ESPN pays the IRL to cover their races, ChampCar are paying ABC/ESPN to have their races shown.
Old 6 Dec 2006, 06:00 (Ref:1783046)   #10
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69
ABC/ESPN are showing both next, the difference being ABC/ESPN pays the IRL to cover their races, ChampCar are paying ABC/ESPN to have their races shown.
okay that will be cool then...I will be able to catch a race or two...

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 6 Dec 2006, 10:00 (Ref:1783152)   #11
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ah well- Race Director for CCWS next year for me!
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 6 Dec 2006, 11:17 (Ref:1783204)   #12
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
shame i was looking forward to seeing ChampCar full season on #7 and looking forward to the INDY , maybe INDY might not get televised on FTA TV in Australia.
Old 6 Dec 2006, 11:38 (Ref:1783224)   #13
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Surfers

http://gcbulletin.com.au/article/200...2222_news.html

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl...1004/1036/FREE
Old 6 Dec 2006, 19:42 (Ref:1783535)   #14
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
And????
Old 6 Dec 2006, 21:21 (Ref:1783607)   #15
Chris - Melb
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Chris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar
And????
Did you read the first article? It highlights a problem that could have major implications for the future of the Gold Coast event.

For a start, the Queensland Government would have to have a major problem with subsidizing the event and then not have the Champ Car races televised to the Australian public.

Just as importantly, what implications does this have for the international telecast of the Champ Car race? Would the organizers have to strike a deal with V8 Supercar/Channel 7, or would they need to contract a separate organization to record the action?

Most importantly, if V8 Supercar withdraws from participating in the event when their current contract expires , would enough spectators turn up to the event to make it viable?

Also, this must surely indicate that Channel 7 is not going to take over the broadcast rights to the Champ Car Series from Network Ten (who have dumped it) and that all events could simply disappear from Australian TV screens entirely. Well, free to air TV at least.

This is an extremely sad development for Australian Champ Car fans.

Last edited by Chris - Melb; 6 Dec 2006 at 21:30.
Old 6 Dec 2006, 21:36 (Ref:1783615)   #16
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Worst case scenario, Australians will be watching Champ Car on ESPN. Meaning all the races will be live instead of on a 20 hour delay, played on network TV at 11:30pm like it currently is.

Last edited by The Snout; 6 Dec 2006 at 21:42.
Old 6 Dec 2006, 21:51 (Ref:1783625)   #17
Chris - Melb
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Chris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A small percentage of Australians subscribe to cable TV, so it will significantly reduce the profile of Champ Car in Australia. There are so many thousand programs on cable TV that Champ Car will get lost in the crowd, except for committed Champ Car fans. Where are future new Champ Car fans going to come from?

I don't have cable TV and would not have it connected to just watch Champ Car. The ongoing expense does not justify it.

Champ Car could potentially could become entirely irrelevant on the Australian landscape . Especially considering that the new, burgeoning A1 Grand Prix series is on free to air.

I am looking at the overall big picture here, not just my own personal viewing options.

Not good...

Last edited by Chris - Melb; 6 Dec 2006 at 21:57.
Old 6 Dec 2006, 22:02 (Ref:1783632)   #18
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris - Melb
A small percentage of Australians subscribe to cable TV, so it will significantly reduce the profile of Champ Car in Australia.
So you're saying having it on free to air at 11:30pm - 1:30am on a Monday night is currently significantly increasing the profile of Champ Car ? Hardly.

You're arguing that only the committed Champ Car fan will find it on cable, well, tell me, who else is watching network at 11:30pm of a night to watch it other than committed Champ Car fans ? Hardly dragging in the mainstream with that arrangement. Channel 10 not renewing it's rights was a great day, a great day indeed.
Old 6 Dec 2006, 22:15 (Ref:1783644)   #19
Chris - Melb
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
At lot more people are watching a free to air channel at that time of night than are watching sports channel number '2568' on cable.

Also, the free to air telecast details appear in freely available publications such as TV guides in daily newspapers, which potentially draws people to the telecast.

At least with Network Ten , they gave Champ Car a profile on the Sunday afternoon 'RPM' motor racing TV program which publicized the fact that the telecast was on Monday evening.

Last edited by Chris - Melb; 6 Dec 2006 at 22:21.
Old 6 Dec 2006, 22:31 (Ref:1783660)   #20
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
Don't think RPM is exactly targeted at the mainstream viewer, dedicated motorsport fan more like. And any dedicated motorsport fan under the southern cross knows what Surfers is.

In any case, I look forward to watching Champ Car live in 2007, rather than taping at 11:30pm on a Monday night, and not watching it until Tuesday Afternoon.
Old 6 Dec 2006, 23:04 (Ref:1783685)   #21
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Champ Car is invisible to the non-motor racing enthusiast in Australia.

Then again, so is every other category (including V8s and Formula One).

In 2006, Champ Car races were usually shown at 2:30am. I would only ever get to watch them if I remembered to set the VCR.

I would pay the $12 a week it costs for pay TV if Champ Car was on - as I'm sure most Champ Car fans in this country would.

The bigger issue is what this TV coverage spat will mean for the event.

Basically, V8 Supercars has spat the dummy because the Queensland Government said no to a street race it was proposing in North Queensland.

Tony Cochrane (V8s boss), threw his toys out of the pram and renigged on a deal to telecast the whole Indy event - threatening to only show the V8s.

Hence the stand-off.

I guess we already have an answer on the question of whether V8 Supercars having "total" control of its telecast is a good thing or not - and we haven't even got to 2007 yet!
Old 7 Dec 2006, 00:53 (Ref:1783731)   #22
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
Yeah I agree mac, it's the usual Cochrane power play. Has his stink all over it.

They have 10 months to sort it out. How Cochrane backs down should be entertaining to watch.
Old 7 Dec 2006, 02:05 (Ref:1783753)   #23
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Indy was there before the V8's come aboard and will survive without them.
Old 7 Dec 2006, 02:59 (Ref:1783758)   #24
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallyfiend
Perhaps. But I wouldn't want be a salesman for IMG trying to sell sponsorship of the event if the TV coverage domestically is being cut from 11 hours to 3. They may get a lot of people to the event, but local TV is where the money-maker.
If v8s pull out of the deal. Could we see 10 being courted to show the Indy telecast again.

This thing is all really childish. I find it appalling that TC is going to try and hold people to ransom like this.
Old 7 Dec 2006, 03:10 (Ref:1783760)   #25
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:

For a start, the Queensland Government would have to have a major problem with subsidizing the event and then not have the Champ Car races televised to the Australian public.
Chris, the reason the Qld Gov support the event is because of the international exposure, not national exposure.

Quote:
Most importantly, if V8 Supercar withdraws from participating in the event when their current contract expires , would enough spectators turn up to the event to make it viable?
I say about the same amount of spectators would turn up. The event has become alot more than a motor race.