Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 5 Feb 2018, 19:21 (Ref:3798800)   #51
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
The site racingcircuits.info now has the course added to its database.
Old 11 Feb 2018, 02:16 (Ref:3800389)   #52
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The biggest issue I can see is getting out of the complex onto a single lane until you get into Tailem Bend itself, mind you no worse than Phillip Island.

I hear those accessing the on site hotel will have to transit through the active paddock area to check in or out.
Old 11 Feb 2018, 02:38 (Ref:3800392)   #53
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVDA View Post
The biggest issue I can see is getting out of the complex onto a single lane until you get into Tailem Bend itself, mind you no worse than Phillip Island.

I hear those accessing the on site hotel will have to transit through the active paddock area to check in or out.
No worse than Phillip Island isn't an endorsement.
Old 11 Feb 2018, 02:40 (Ref:3800394)   #54
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVDA View Post

Or Winton. so will require traffic managment
Old 3 Apr 2018, 12:48 (Ref:3812634)   #55
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The circuit looks great, I have to say. Seems to be a world-class establishment. It's very handy for everyone else when capitalists & developers like the Shahins have a such a big interest in motorsports...

Only two weeks until a Shannon's National Round, should be fun!
Old 4 Apr 2018, 00:02 (Ref:3812702)   #56
GROUPA
Racer

GROUPA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Being a resident of Phillip Island (holiday house) given they have chopped and changed the V8 round over the years you can hardly tell if the V8's are on - there is more atmosphere and bigger crowd for the histroics in February than the V8's
Old 4 Apr 2018, 04:28 (Ref:3812727)   #57
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GROUPA View Post
there is more atmosphere and bigger crowd for the histroics in February than the V8's
Quite rightly so. More interesting cars and people there and as you say a great 'go where you want talk to whom you see' friendly type of meeting lacking in the egos of V8s.
Old 4 Apr 2018, 07:33 (Ref:3812747)   #58
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GROUPA View Post
Being a resident of Phillip Island (holiday house) given they have chopped and changed the V8 round over the years you can hardly tell if the V8's are on - there is more atmosphere and bigger crowd for the histroics in February than the V8's
Yes, Supercars are the fourth tier for attendance at the Island.

But to be fair it is probably the only circuit where that is the case.
Old 4 Apr 2018, 08:27 (Ref:3812752)   #59
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
why are we talking about PI? nothing to do with the Bend
Old 4 Apr 2018, 09:39 (Ref:3812759)   #60
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
why are we talking about PI? nothing to do with the Bend
Circuit access.

Some are predicting issues at the Bend.

Some circuits such as Phillip Island have worked with local government and other authorities to improve access over the years.
Old 4 Apr 2018, 09:45 (Ref:3812761)   #61
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
Circuit access.

Some are predicting issues at the Bend.

Some circuits such as Phillip Island have worked with local government and other authorities to improve access over the years.
2 months ago we were talking about circuit access. Not now

The bend about to hold its first biggish race meeting shannons nationals ($49 for a 3 days pass)

VIDEO: The Bend first laps
Old 4 Apr 2018, 23:31 (Ref:3812915)   #62
GROUPA
Racer

GROUPA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Really thinking of going over foe the day from Melbourne and driving back same day - sure it will be an early start but would love to see the GT's on the new circuit

Anybody want to share the driving with me drop me a PM
Old 15 Apr 2018, 01:03 (Ref:3815571)   #64
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Well, I found a few newer onboards.

McLaren 650S GT3, Full Circuit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4brkpvggUg

Around the 4.828-mile course, the time looks to be about a 3:14.

This looks like a Radical SR of some sort, on the circuit layout that V8SC will use:
https://www.speedcafe.com/2018/04/12...rcuit-onboard/

If the lap were completed, maybe that car could manage a 1:55, though that might be slightly optimistic. The length of that configuration is 3.076 miles.

I didn't really have the sense that the course exactly fit together smoothly, but I was still hoping some of those corners would be fairly quick, but they won't be, certainly not for the Supercars.

For Turns 11/12 to work for overtaking, Turns 9/10 need to be flat, or close to it, and they're not. You can say the same about T13 leading into T14.

So for V8SC, I'm not terribly confident about overtaking outside of T1 and T6. I think the run from T15 to T17 is going to be too short to set up a good run.

If they used the full course, then perhaps T9, and even T14, could be options; I think T20 would probably be too slow to have a good run from T19 to T21. Of course, this is completely ignoring the fact that a lap on the 4.828-mile layout would take easily more than 50% longer than a lap around Bathurst.

It just strikes me that if this course has a primary, express purpose for racing cars, then quite a few of the corners were designed specifically for high-downforce vehicles.
Old 15 Apr 2018, 02:06 (Ref:3815583)   #65
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I might be a bad judge, but the track is impressive as far as facilities are concerned, but it doesn't seem to be the most exciting piece of bitumen, and if I've seen correctly, most of the spectator area have massive catch fencing to look through.
Old 15 Apr 2018, 09:53 (Ref:3815675)   #66
champcarman
Veteran

champcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchampcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
I might be a bad judge, but the track is impressive as far as facilities are concerned, but it doesn't seem to be the most exciting piece of bitumen, and if I've seen correctly, most of the spectator area have massive catch fencing to look through.
Yes , it appeared very difficult to overtake in todays GT race, maybe the Supercars will do better in August. The real test will be the FF race in August because those cars can slipstream well.
Old 15 Apr 2018, 23:56 (Ref:3815875)   #67
Trev Campbell
Veteran

Trev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTrev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
Not sure how it looked on TV/streaming but the circuit has quite a bit of elevation change (No Mt. Panoroama, but for a circuit essentially built in a paddock its quit impressive. The corners are wide and seemed to allow quite a few different lines, however these didn't seem to translate into a lot of passing. Still it was only the first event.

From a spectator view, The place is HUGE, You are quite a way back from the track in some spots, There is probably 10 - 15 metres between the spectator fence and the track, The parts where you are closer have catch fencing. I'm assuming this is just what happens when a track is built to modern FIA safety standards. I don't know the turn numbers, but there is fencing almost continuously from the part where the GT circuit re-joins the national circuit, all the way around to turn 1 (With the exception of the little back straight opposite the pit straight.

From Turn 1 all the way around to where the GT and International circuits separate is virtually fence free.

There are many spots where you can see large portions of the track. At the nationals GA were able to get on top of parts of the pit building which afford great views.

Facility still has lots of work to be done, and currently there is only 1 2 way road into the facility. If this is still the case when the V8's are there in August it will be bedlam trying to get in and out.

But They've got a few months to sort that stuff out still. All in all its a fantastic place.

Does anyone know why the GT's were put onto the national circuit instead of the GT circuit ??? I was looking forward to getting a look at the back part of the circuit
Old 16 Apr 2018, 00:29 (Ref:3815884)   #68
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trev Campbell View Post

Does anyone know why the GT's were put onto the national circuit instead of the GT circuit ??? I was looking forward to getting a look at the back part of the circuit
Concern over the weather and the effect of possible dust storms on visibility.
Old 16 Apr 2018, 00:36 (Ref:3815889)   #69
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trev Campbell View Post
Because they didn't spend enough time and effort laying turf, so all the dust got blown onto the track, making it difficult for grip and sight.
Old 16 Apr 2018, 00:47 (Ref:3815896)   #70
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
ford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
During the drive laps the weekend before it has been reported that visibility due to the wind picking up sand and dirt was a big problem. Lots of water trucks about the place trying to assist with that. Grass areas will help that too.
Old 16 Apr 2018, 01:13 (Ref:3815906)   #71
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Maybe it'll be better once Supercars installs it's digitally-generated billboards?
Old 16 Apr 2018, 01:17 (Ref:3815908)   #72
Trev Campbell
Veteran

Trev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTrev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ah OK, Thanks Guys. Well it's something they will need to sort because it's pretty much always windy out at Tailem.
Old 16 Apr 2018, 01:45 (Ref:3815911)   #73
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
During Sundays race there was more then one driver who were unhappy that they didnt use the full GT circuit seeing as though the weather had come good
Old 16 Apr 2018, 02:59 (Ref:3815928)   #74
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman444 View Post
Because they didn't spend enough time and effort laying turf, so all the dust got blown onto the track, making it difficult for grip and sight.
I have been told by someone who frequents this place occasionally and has been there quite frequently over the last couple of weeks that the dust come from surrounding properties, not the circuit itself.
Old 16 Apr 2018, 03:30 (Ref:3815935)   #75
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bludvl_x19 View Post
I have been told by someone who frequents this place occasionally and has been there quite frequently over the last couple of weeks that the dust come from surrounding properties, not the circuit itself.
Grass would still catch some of that dust before it got to the track, rather than just let it continue to be blown. Its the 1st thing they do when trying to restore sand dunes for example.

Might want to plant some trees also...