Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 18 Nov 2018, 05:01 (Ref:3863912)   #2401
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Not a lot from me as most of it would be edited out
Hehehe you are lucky you can remember it. A lot of my memories are a haze of Marstons Pedigree and 'other' things popular at the time.
Old 18 Nov 2018, 06:28 (Ref:3863924)   #2402
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Not finished yet at 8 PM and must be seriously taken. The government make no fun with that I can tell you. If the fluo jackets are obvious what must be heard is that people are bored. Taxes on gazoline being a pretext. Visible part of a huge an silent iceberg. Am I clear here, Mike, please?
Very clear, Gerard! If French fuel prices are only one of the reasons for the protests then I’m with you all the way! Where’s my flouro.......
Old 18 Nov 2018, 06:39 (Ref:3863927)   #2403
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
If French fuel prices are only one of the reasons for the protests then I’m with you all the way!
Please, be my guest!" Surprisingly, they dont complain about fuel prices but about taxes applying. I wonder why retired dont protest what has been done is illegal. It would be good to go to Brussels court, our dictator likes the place!
Why our retired dont complain, dunno. May be some can't pay the electricity bill and are frozen to death, the other moved to Algarve or Morocco. A dirty version of "évasion fiscale"…
Old 18 Nov 2018, 06:48 (Ref:3863928)   #2404
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
The results of the diesel-bashing are already visible, the less healthy can't use their car to go to work or as a working tool AND live as they did. In the meanwhile, Peugeot and Renault heads are not prosecuted.
As a gran son of farmers breeders (see zat Bob, migrants coming from Flanders!) I'm seriously shocked by the number of suicides in this socio-professional category. And it started before Brexit… Crazy planet.
Old 18 Nov 2018, 07:35 (Ref:3863931)   #2405
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Just been reading up on BBC news, and very sad to see that one protester died yesterday. My light hearted comment perhaps a bit misplaced in the circumstances.

Talking of fuel prices, in Norwich yesterday the price at JS supermarket was down 4 pence from mid week. The price here (same supermarket) was only down 1 pence and 7 pence more, so no wonder discrimination against those in rural areas gets a lot of press!
Old 18 Nov 2018, 09:29 (Ref:3863941)   #2406
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Please, be my guest!" Surprisingly, they dont complain about fuel prices but about taxes applying. I wonder why retired dont protest what has been done is illegal. It would be good to go to Brussels court, our dictator likes the place!
Why our retired dont complain, dunno. May be some can't pay the electricity bill and are frozen to death, the other moved to Algarve or Morocco. A dirty version of "évasion fiscale"…
The French (excluding Gerard) are always able to find something to complain about, something they have in common with my wife.
Old 18 Nov 2018, 10:53 (Ref:3863952)   #2407
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
The French (excluding Gerard) are always able to find something to complain about, something they have in common with my wife.
Agreed, Ami Robert. From Mum who loved to travel, the first thing I learnt was to spot French and avoid them when in a foreign country. When you hear someone moaning, 90 per cent of the time you recognize the language! If would have loved to tell them that if its really better in France, there are a lot of places to discover here. Stay home.
With my wife either we dont speak at all in public when abroad or speak in English. And say we are Belgians…

No worry Mike, what is important is that the contestants are ready to take risks to make the point. You can't make an omelette without breaking some eggs, can you?

Our government states that it won't go backwards in any case but they are ready to "offer" primes to help people using their car as a working tool.
Were is the spirit which led to 1789 or May 68, I wonder? No guts, no glory!
Old 18 Nov 2018, 11:34 (Ref:3863963)   #2408
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It could get more interesting in France if this Reuter's report is accurate.

https://af.reuters.com/article/commo.../idAFL8N1XQ2E9

Mid winter with insufficient supply to match the electricity demand might not be good. Heck, for the time being UK is still reliant on Nuclear France for its backup supplies!

(After Brexit who knows what might happen - perhaps both countries will learn to love power cuts.)

It might be a good time to consider joining Delta in Australia in the new year ...

Meanwhile the European Court of (alleged) Justice has, apparently, forced the UK Government to cancel arrangements it has with Electricity suppliers using traditional fossil fuel generation that is mainly restricted to be used only when demand is very high. Like in winter.

Absent the arrangement the economics of keeping a large plant operational on a "just in case" basis do not stack up. So either the operators close it or the cost are shifted to the direct consumer in some way rather than being shared more broadly through the tax regime as a "National good" form which all benefit.

Fair enough - but I bet the tax burden will not be reduced as compensation.

I note that the current "agreement" for Brexit does not seem to enable any form of escape from the insanity of the ECJ. Without that it is entirely meaningless.

In my humble opinion.
Old 18 Nov 2018, 12:21 (Ref:3863968)   #2409
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Our government states that it won't go backwards in any case but they are ready to "offer" primes to help people using their car as a working tool.
Where do I apply.......?
Old 18 Nov 2018, 17:23 (Ref:3864003)   #2410
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Where do I apply.......?
Any time, Mike! In case you're running out of ideas, which a very much doubt, ask a migrant
May be you heard about "tweet man" criticizing French people and mainly our so called government? He only said the truth. Make France great again? Yop, man do you have any recommendation for this? Bring Louis the 14th back to live may be… He said that without the US help during WW2 (forgetting many other countries, like England, Canada, etc…) we would all be speaking German. Danke sehr, that's f...ing right, cow boy.
Old 18 Nov 2018, 17:49 (Ref:3864006)   #2411
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Any time, Mike! In case you're running out of ideas, which a very much doubt, ask a migrant
May be you heard about "tweet man" criticizing French people and mainly our so called government? He only said the truth. Make France great again? Yop, man do you have any recommendation for this? Bring Louis the 14th back to live may be… He said that without the US help during WW2 (forgetting many other countries, like England, Canada, etc…) we would all be speaking German. Danke sehr, that's f...ing right, cow boy.

A comment I saw was that Trump was, of course, wrong....without US intervention you'd all have been speaking Russian
Old 18 Nov 2018, 18:06 (Ref:3864009)   #2412
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
This one is good too, Lancs'! And may be Polish, who knows…
What seems weird to my eyes is that in a world of hyper communication we can say anything anytime to anyone, but not the truth! Our prime minister Gérard Colomb, mayor of Lyon, had to recently quit twice to be heard by his majesty. Too late, too bad!
Before that, he had to explain why he said that "migrants make benchmarking before chosing an euro country to land". What do we think? Of course they do, they're not stupid. What is shocking is to say it. Crazy planet!
Old 18 Nov 2018, 18:21 (Ref:3864013)   #2413
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
First count gives 290k contestants, 2000 blocking points, 409 accidents and 282 people caught by the police. Rather impressive, bearing in mind that France is supposed to be THE freedom country. Sorry?
Old 18 Nov 2018, 20:10 (Ref:3864032)   #2414
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Liberty fraternity etc. Bit only if you toe the line. Sorry for the lack of accents.
Old 19 Nov 2018, 05:25 (Ref:3864121)   #2415
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
All this is pathetic. What do they think? President and Prime Minister both together say "we hear you" before adding "we won't change anything". All the difference between hear and listen.
What contestants will gain? After some accidents, insurances companies will raise the prices. Bad luck. People injured will cost to the community. Bad luck. They took some day off, less vacation or less salary. Bad luck.
And now its cold. After three days max, they will run out of will, arguments, money, palettes and Ricard. Back home, frozen to the bones, they will think "at least we tried but ya no…". In fact they went to kick some asses, lost the battle and their pants too… That's why you see so many butts on TV channels. All the contrary of "veni, vidi, vici". Pathetic. Sad too.
Old 19 Nov 2018, 05:31 (Ref:3864122)   #2416
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
And now a new law to be approved. The targets are Coyote -I dont care anymore- and Waze - which I use very much-. The reason, I guess, is that they can't make much money with Waze. The pretext is that Waze is used by terrorists and drug dealers. Police too
Old 19 Nov 2018, 06:15 (Ref:3864125)   #2417
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Story here..... https://www.pcworld.com/article/3193...in-france.html

Wonder if other governments will take notice?
Old 19 Nov 2018, 08:03 (Ref:3864137)   #2418
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
No worry, modern tools and citizens motivation will find an appropriate answer.
Old 19 Nov 2018, 08:21 (Ref:3864141)   #2419
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Inflation - cost of parking at the NEC has recently gone up to £16 per day, think it was 'just' £12 in the summer. Only £12 pre-paid though .
Old 19 Nov 2018, 08:45 (Ref:3864155)   #2420
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
You know what? The way France is going I reckon it will soon be illegal to drive UNDER the speed limit because the driver will be seen to be avoiding prosecution.......

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 19 Nov 2018, 10:09 (Ref:3864176)   #2421
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
You know what? The way France is going I reckon it will soon be illegal to drive UNDER the speed limit because the driver will be seen to be avoiding prosecution.......
I like the logic Max!

Imagine a few years from now that all of this pestering and interference has driven all travellers to use fully autonomous EVs which are controlled by the State for reasons of safety and security.

The rental charges for the service would have to be acceptable enough (at least in France) to stop the populace revolting regularly, so how would they use the service to generate enough revenue to be able to afford to run it since the rolling stock would, presumably, be mostly standardised?

Perhaps they could find a way of fining their own business for breaches of speed control, parking, opening doors the wrong way, carrying too many or too few passengers at certain times of the day or night in designated areas, etc. Of course it would be entirely justified to roll these costs onto the charges for the service, right?

It's a little like fining an NHS trust (or some other government operated entity) for some failure of their duty of care and then wondering why they need more money.

But the key is that it provides the authorities with some control of income via taxation that is not thought of as taxation because it is an indirect supply and can be somewhat obscured for the purpose of public understanding.

They will always find ways to expend cash that results in a need for tax income of one sort or another - taking with one hand and giving with the other. How much of that constant circulation can be retained by one means or another on each cycle without the populace becoming agitated is the key to the people wielding power being able to successfully complete their vanity projects and top up their pension prospects.

Just like the commercial world of the City and the Banks in effect - only less risk to the "management".
Old 19 Nov 2018, 10:14 (Ref:3864178)   #2422
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Cant say better Max! On the highways you can spot many Gt's at 120kph instead of 130, probably because the driver lost his licence…
100 000 licences per year are voided… Around 1 million not insured cars on our roads. You can find some logic here, because without any licence you're not covered. So why Pay?
Old 19 Nov 2018, 10:47 (Ref:3864182)   #2423
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
Inflation - cost of parking at the NEC has recently gone up to £16 per day, think it was 'just' £12 in the summer. Only £12 pre-paid though .
That's another good reason not to go to the Racing Car Show in January.
Old 19 Nov 2018, 11:13 (Ref:3864191)   #2424
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post
Hmm.

I used to go to the Photography show at the NEC.The last time I went parking was £8 and I thought that was enough.

If one was planning to buy a few bits and pieces (in the days when there were a number of retailers taking stands) the savings possible covered the parking costs so on balance it made for a decent day out.

Over £8 and absent any serious plans for buying new kit I'm not likely to be attracted to such an event.

As I am certainly not planning to buy a motor sport vehicle my previous logic would suggest I am unlikely to be visiting the NEC for the Racing Car Show either.

Or anything else for that matter.

That said I suppose it is just the effect of some form of inflation. Food prices in our local CoOp seems to have headed in the same direction - especially if one takes smaller package contents into consideration.

I think food takes precedence over NEC parking.
Old 19 Nov 2018, 11:22 (Ref:3864194)   #2425
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post
Didn’t really need another one, but thanks!