Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 14 Aug 2007, 09:57 (Ref:1988222)   #1
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Scott Speed to...the IRL?

With Scott announcing his focus on racing opportunities in the US rather than F1, the assumption is he would bring at least some Red Bull $$ with him.

Folks in the CC forum presume that he will of course, end up there.

But will he? While the well may have been poisoned by the experience with Cheever, Red Bull $$ have been associated with the IRL as well as CC and NASCAR.

The IRL has a number of strong drivers with the same international "flavor" and experience we find in CC. In your opinion, is it a given that if Scott Speed gets an open wheel drive in the US, it will be in CC?
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 14 Aug 2007, 10:08 (Ref:1988233)   #2
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC
With Scott announcing his focus on racing opportunities in the US rather than F1, the assumption is he would bring at least some Red Bull $$ with him.

But will he? While the well may have been poisoned by the experience with Cheever, Red Bull $$ have been associated with the IRL as well as CC and NASCAR.

The IRL has a number of strong drivers with the same international "flavor" and experience we find in CC. In your opinion, is it a given that if Scott Speed gets an open wheel drive in the US, it will be in CC?
I think he is going to CC which is already being discussed in multiple threads because ovals aren't what he does and in the past he has hinted that he'd love to race Champ Car after a career in Formula 1. IMHO I find it unlikely he'll race in IRL but we'll see. And he has seen how well Doornbos etc have done my money is him going to CC. I personally don't know what the ovals can offer him as I don't believe its his cup of tea.
Old 14 Aug 2007, 10:47 (Ref:1988259)   #3
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
We didn't know if ovals would be CDM's cup of tea, or Mansell's or Emerson's or Bourdais', or Cheever's, or Helio's, or Graham Hill's, or Jim Clark's or any number of folks that have the same sort of racing background. They all seemed to do ok...

With the IRL adding circuit/street venues, and with that series being no better (or worse) off than the other series, the IRL would appear to be just as viable an option. Further, you already have someone with Red Bull money (R. Doornbos) in CC with essentially the same background as Speed (lighter on the F1 race starts, for sure) who could easily be considered for the NHL ride.

I don't recall seeing anywhere that Speed has ruled out ovals or even commented on them one way or the other.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 14 Aug 2007, 11:01 (Ref:1988265)   #4
Alwaysfirst
Veteran

United Kingdom
The rural idyl.
Alwaysfirst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He hasn't ruled out doing ovals (I think) but he has always said that Champ Car is what he wants to do after F1. I've no preference either way personally-it's just what he's said.

RIP Marco Simoncelli, 1987-2011. 2008 250cc champion
Old 14 Aug 2007, 11:05 (Ref:1988270)   #5
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
We didn't know if ovals would be CDM's cup of tea, or Mansell's or Emerson's or Bourdais', or Cheever's, or Helio's, or Graham Hill's, or Jim Clark's or any number of folks that have the same sort of racing background. They all seemed to do ok...
The difference is there was just one series then or the IRL wasn't popular or was still all oval. In the pre split days CART had just around 5 or 6 ovals and post split around 50% of the schedule. The IRL was all oval still and not as exposed as it is now. Now CC is all non oval currently and Scott has come from a non oval background strictly road course and he has seen what others from F1 have done this year in CC and that is win, be a contender and do well. Doornbos is one example.

Quote:
With the IRL adding circuit/street venues, and with that series being no better (or worse) off than the other series, the IRL would appear to be just as viable an option. Further, you already have someone with Red Bull money (R. Doornbos) in CC with essentially the same background as Speed (lighter on the F1 race starts, for sure) who could easily be considered for the NHL ride.
The other difference from what we know as of now Scott hasn't been approached by any IRL teams, but has had a firm interest from NHL in CC. He could wind up somwhere else in CC if that isn't possible.

Quote:
I don't recall seeing anywhere that Speed has ruled out ovals or even commented on them one way or the other.
I never said he ruled out IRL. On a SPEED article around Lond Beach 2006 he said Champ Car is a series he'd like to race in after he was done with Formula 1. He has mentioned nothing yet about the IRL but he has mentioned Champ Car but more specifically he has mentioned he is now focussed on 'America' which means either series.
Old 14 Aug 2007, 11:57 (Ref:1988322)   #6
nycuk
Veteran

England
Banbury, Oxfordshire, England
nycuk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[quote=JohnSSC]With Scott announcing his focus on racing opportunities in the US rather than F1, the assumption is he would bring at least some Red Bull $$ with him.
[quote]

According to Scott's website yesterday he had a postive meeting with Herr Mateschitz following the breakdown of his relationship with STR, so it looks like he is still very much a Red Bull man.

Last edited by nycuk; 14 Aug 2007 at 11:59.
Old 14 Aug 2007, 13:35 (Ref:1988400)   #7
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Who's assuming? Many articles have indicated that his usa options are 'believed' to be in nascar and champ car.

One article even mentioned NHL specifically, so its not to hard to imagine where discussion of CC would have come from.

It seems you were looking for an argument here.
Old 14 Aug 2007, 13:37 (Ref:1988401)   #8
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Yes quite obvious.
Old 14 Aug 2007, 15:40 (Ref:1988514)   #9
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, is it such an outrageous suggestion? Scott may well go to IRL? Either series is similar really.

Let's say he had a choice between say (for arguments sake), a Penske IRL ride or a Dale Coyne Champcar. Where would he go?

Also, IRL would offer a different challenge as he is not an oval man. So there is that aspect.

It all depends on circumstances. At the moment, it probably seems he'll go to Champcar, but it is not a foregone conclusion by any stretch of the imagination.
Old 14 Aug 2007, 17:17 (Ref:1988614)   #10
Bluewolf
Racer

United States
Woodland Hills California
Bluewolf has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Horrible news!!! He's going to NASCAR -- Ohhhhhhh Nooooooooooooo!!!! Here's the link

http://www.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlin...14163710.shtml

Last edited by Bluewolf; 14 Aug 2007 at 17:19.
Old 14 Aug 2007, 17:39 (Ref:1988638)   #11
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Cool.
Old 14 Aug 2007, 20:54 (Ref:1989123)   #12
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I feel he will get gobbled up in NASCAR.

Change the title, move the thread
Old 14 Aug 2007, 21:30 (Ref:1989147)   #13
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hopefully for his sake they won't drop him in a CUP seat straightaway like they did with Allmendinger. Especially with a Rookie team to boot.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 14 Aug 2007, 21:35 (Ref:1989152)   #14
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Yep it would be a disaster seeing him out on the side-lines because he didn't qualify. I can see why he is in NASCAR but I would rather have seen him in Champ Car as they need him I think anyway.

Oh well.
Old 14 Aug 2007, 22:18 (Ref:1989182)   #15
Bluewolf
Racer

United States
Woodland Hills California
Bluewolf has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke
Yep it would be a disaster seeing him out on the side-lines because he didn't qualify. I can see why he is in NASCAR but I would rather have seen him in Champ Car as they need him I think anyway.

Oh well.

Same here - I want to see him in open wheel racing - that's his forte.
Old 14 Aug 2007, 23:12 (Ref:1989209)   #16
deejay
Veteran

New Zealand
deejay has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Oh good, Nascar needs more Americans.

This is another big hit for AOWR.
Old 15 Aug 2007, 00:01 (Ref:1989233)   #17
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
One thing at a time...

No, I was not trying to start a fight, I was asking for opinions as I stated in the opening post.

The Speed to NASCAR thing came at me from left field...I really had not even considered it as I am sure some (most?) of you had not either.

Now how he would fit in there is probably being discussed in another thread, but based on how he drove in F1 I would think that he may do ok - not as good as what we are seeing from JPM (diriving for a second-tier team) but maybe not quite as bad as AJ is doing. To be fair to AJ though, no one is doing well in the Toyota. Hopefully that can be remedied for both AJ and Scott's sake.

Another coup for NASCAR as they can advertise that the best drivers in the world come to that Series...however you view Speed's talent, for PR purposes having JPM go to NASCAR, having Speed (so far as we know) going to NASCAR from F1 rather than open wheel and having AJ leave open wheel...it is a PR person's dream.

And Open Wheel's nightmare...
Old 15 Aug 2007, 00:47 (Ref:1989255)   #18
ThePenguin
Veteran

United States
United States
ThePenguin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
To be fair to AJ though, no one is doing well in the Toyota. Hopefully that can be remedied for both AJ and Scott's sake.
Because of the problems that the Toyotas have been having in their first year in the Nextel Cup, Red Bull Racing will probably be switching to Chevys for next year.
Old 15 Aug 2007, 00:53 (Ref:1989258)   #19
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
Is that confirmed? I have seen that too, but still in "rumor" form.
Old 16 Aug 2007, 03:11 (Ref:1989931)   #20
ThePenguin
Veteran

United States
United States
ThePenguin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Is that confirmed? I have seen that too, but still in "rumor" form.
It has not yet been confirmed, but it makes a lot of sense and I think that it it will probably happen.
Old 16 Aug 2007, 09:48 (Ref:1990086)   #21
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
Somewhere in Japan there is probably a figurine of Michael Waltrip hanging in effigy...
Old 16 Aug 2007, 13:38 (Ref:1990222)   #22
Leighton Irwin
Veteran

Canada
Victoria Harbour (on Georgian Bay)
Leighton Irwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought they were going to put MW in charge of the F1 team. (:
Old 20 Aug 2007, 06:08 (Ref:1992485)   #23
drdisque
Veteran

Antarctica
Chicago
drdisque should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The money is significantly better in IndyCar than in Champ Car. If he does end up in IndyCar, I'm thinking that would be the only reason why.
Old 20 Aug 2007, 11:13 (Ref:1992635)   #24
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by drdisque
The money is significantly better in IndyCar than in Champ Car. If he does end up in IndyCar, I'm thinking that would be the only reason why.
But he's going to NASCAR...
Old 20 Aug 2007, 12:07 (Ref:1992673)   #25
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by drdisque
I guess that depends on who you drive for. I think Bourdais has earnt more than many in the IRL and vice versa.