Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 9 Feb 2018, 02:17 (Ref:3799749)   #76
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
so we both have events where it runs and it doesnt. thus its is not compulsory

Can you explain why it is vital to future of the 12 hour? you didnt give any real reasoning.

It ceratinaly has no history of being vital to the 12 hour. Just 2 years ago (2016 race) there was no Gt4 Class running
Where is the suggestion that it or anything else is compulsory?

Why is GT4 vital for the future of the Bathurst 12 Hour? GT4 is the succession plan for GT3 racing and the Bathurst 12 Hour.

The event due to its geographic distance can not rely on GT3 to provide a grid long term. It is widely anticipated that due to costs GT3 numbers will slowly reduce worldwide and GT4 will become the focus of both participants and manufacturers.

Do you not believe in or value succession planning Peckstar?
Old 9 Feb 2018, 03:05 (Ref:3799757)   #77
StueyB83
Rookie

StueyB83 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Mustang GT4 is built by Multimatic by the given graces of FoMoCo.

Alternative tuners cannot simply build a GT4 car from road cars without prior approval from the OEM.

Mobs like Ekris, Prospeed et al have built their GT4 cars ahead of many factory customer sports divisions efforts (Audi Sport, AMG Customer sports etc.), but it is unlikely they will ever be able to build up a GT4 car from the same brand again once the manufacturer gets involved themselves.

This occurred in GT3. Reiter can not build Lambo GT3's off the latest model (Huracan) as that was moved in-house - so the R-EX (Gallardo) is them extracting the most from their licence agreement.

With this in play, Tickford can not built an alternative GT4 Mustang, as the FoMoCo licence agreement is with Multimatic only.

Thus the price tag for the GT4 car (whilst prohibitive) is set - complete with the market monopolisation in mind.

This is why small bespoke race car brands, such as the Reiter KTM, Ginetta and Sin - continue to be relevant.
Old 9 Feb 2018, 05:26 (Ref:3799775)   #78
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One only needs to look at the Sepang 12hr as the reason why the Bathurst 12hr should never become a one-class GT3 only event
Old 9 Feb 2018, 06:53 (Ref:3799779)   #79
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
One only needs to look at the Sepang 12hr as the reason why the Bathurst 12hr should never become a one-class GT3 only event
You might want to research that more. Sepang is an example of what ahppens when you introduce Gt4

No one has ever suggested that it should become a one class event. the discusion is getting rid of the Gt4 class. We ahev got rid of classes before from the 12 hour. We have been able to move on. No one sat back in the 12 hour thread and mentioned how they missed the BMW or the production classes
Old 9 Feb 2018, 07:10 (Ref:3799780)   #80
Ospi
Veteran

Ospi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOspi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GT4 races with gt3 in blancpain Asia as well.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Old 9 Feb 2018, 07:39 (Ref:3799783)   #81
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
You might want to research that more. Sepang is an example of what ahppens when you introduce Gt4

No one has ever suggested that it should become a one class event. the discusion is getting rid of the Gt4 class. We ahev got rid of classes before from the 12 hour. We have been able to move on. No one sat back in the 12 hour thread and mentioned how they missed the BMW or the production classes
I'm interested in what is supposedly to be gained by dropping GT4 from the event?
Old 9 Feb 2018, 07:43 (Ref:3799786)   #82
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
I'm interested in what is supposedly to be gained by dropping GT4 from the event?
then you should read my posts.

Ive already said it.
Old 9 Feb 2018, 07:55 (Ref:3799791)   #83
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
then you should read my posts.

Ive already said it.
The point of a multiclass race is you'll keep classes of entries from year to year if one of the classes implodes due to runaway escalating costs (GT3 has been on the verge of that for at least 1-2 years now and is still walking a hazardous tightrope). And it's better that, if you have a global class that's poised to take over when that happens, you ENCOURAGE entries from that class, not ban them. As almost everyone above me has already said.
Old 9 Feb 2018, 08:24 (Ref:3799796)   #84
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Is a pro-am and pro-pro GT3 entry not the makings of a class-based race?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 9 Feb 2018, 08:30 (Ref:3799797)   #85
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
On the basis that they are given awards as separate classes and shown in live timing / tv race updates /results as separate classes its hard to argue against that they form part of a class based race.
Old 9 Feb 2018, 11:22 (Ref:3799828)   #86
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
The point of a multiclass race is you'll keep classes of entries from year to year if one of the classes implodes due to runaway escalating costs (GT3 has been on the verge of that for at least 1-2 years now and is still walking a hazardous tightrope). And it's better that, if you have a global class that's poised to take over when that happens, you ENCOURAGE entries from that class, not ban them. As almost everyone above me has already said.
No No, thats not the point of multiclass racing at all, at most thats 1% of the point of multi class racing.

However No one is suggesting not having multiclass racing. Only as a strawman.

the suggesting is to not have GT4.

Sepang had multiclass racing including Gt4, It didnt go ahead, so it failed the theory you provided.

If gt4 was introduced for the reasoning you said, then after over ten years it would have taken over, but it hasnt and so that theory is weak sorry

the evidence that Gt3 is failing is not overly great, yes in certain places it
Old 9 Feb 2018, 11:26 (Ref:3799832)   #87
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
and Am, so we effectively had six classes this year, officially 4 and one class ahd 3 sub classes. On the timing sheets though six categories are mentioned

Last edited by peckstar; 9 Feb 2018 at 11:36.
Old 9 Feb 2018, 12:49 (Ref:3799860)   #88
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone whinging about GT4 cars is obviously trying very hard to have a whinge for the sake of it.

Quote:
Given they are all the same cars and the only thing that puts them in seperate "classes" is the choice of driver, then the answer is no, of course it doesn't make a class race. Did anyone ever claim privateers were their own separate class in the Bathurst 1000 back in the day?
Old 9 Feb 2018, 21:25 (Ref:3800084)   #89
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes, the promotors and commentators.

They even had their own control tyre for a couple of years.
Old 9 Feb 2018, 23:34 (Ref:3800121)   #90
one five five
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
Yes, the promotors and commentators.

They even had their own control tyre for a couple of years.
When the specs of the actual cars are the same, splitting them up into Pros and Ams, or Privateers and Professionals, does not make it class racing.

Class racing is about big cars and little cars, managing traffic with the slower cars etc etc
Old 10 Feb 2018, 05:49 (Ref:3800161)   #91
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:

Class racing is about big cars and little cars, managing traffic with the slower cars etc etc
I think you just made that up.

Thast not the definition of Class racing at all. It just happens to be what sometimes happens. its not what class racing is, Ist possible to have two classes that a similar speeds.
Old 10 Feb 2018, 06:14 (Ref:3800165)   #92
one five five
Veteran

Quote:
It just happens to be what sometimes happens.
In the history of motor racing, I would say it's what has happened the majority of the time.

You are contriving classes if you have the same specification of cars split up and expect anyone to take that as "class racing".
Old 10 Feb 2018, 06:26 (Ref:3800173)   #93
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
In the history of motor racing, I would say it's what has happened the majority of the time.
But its not what class racing is. Class racing is not about big cars and little cars. Nor is it about managing traffic with "slower cars"

It is quite possible to have two classes that travel at similar times.

For instance last years (2017) the Class B and the invitational class had almost the same time. managing traffic was nothing to do with it. even this year it was pretty close, but it was not about managing traffic
Old 10 Feb 2018, 23:51 (Ref:3800371)   #94
one five five
Veteran

Quote:
For instance last years (2017) the Class B and the invitational class had almost the same time. managing traffic was nothing to do with it. even this year it was pretty close, but it was not about managing traffic
And the Class B and Invitational cars were completely different specifications of cars.

Did you even watch the race? Did you see what the Daytona or the Viper was doing to the Class B Porsche's on the straights? Did you see what the Class B Porsche's were doing to the Daytona and the Viper across the top? PLENTY of traffic management in all that.
Old 11 Feb 2018, 02:22 (Ref:3800390)   #95
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
And the Class B and Invitational cars were completely different specifications of cars.

Did you even watch the race? Did you see what the Daytona or the Viper was doing to the Class B Porsche's on the straights? Did you see what the Class B Porsche's were doing to the Daytona and the Viper across the top? PLENTY of traffic management in all that.
yep. whats your point?

and really, the class B porsche spent the bulk of the race looking backwards in case a daytona came up behind it. the difference in both places was minimal.

Please stop making stuff up
Old 11 Feb 2018, 02:34 (Ref:3800391)   #96
Ospi
Veteran

Ospi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOspi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Multi class racing is great and the drivers enjoy the challenge of dealing with the slower cars and vice versa. Glad it's not going anywhere.

Old 11 Feb 2018, 02:39 (Ref:3800393)   #97
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Sorry guys but the novelty of the 12 hours of Bathurst has worn off in my mind. With so many safety car periods, the race has become somewhat of a joke. Unless the organizers find ideas to cut the safety car periods by at least half. This event is going to become minor league. Teams won't want to ship their cars over to Australia only to see them get smashed up. I would put this race in the same category as the Macau FIA GT world cup race. Is the risk worth it anymore?
Old 11 Feb 2018, 02:48 (Ref:3800397)   #98
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ospi View Post
Multi class racing is great and the drivers enjoy the challenge of dealing with the slower cars and vice versa. Glad it's not going anywhere.

No one is suggesting we get rid of multi class racing. Just getting rid of one of the classes, like we have got rid of other classes in recent years.

I didnt hear one driver in a GT3 cars announce that they enjoyed dealing with the slower cars. the common response was "the traffic makes it difficult, but it something you have to deal with". No one at all said" i enjoy passing the same car every 6 laps" (last year it was every 5 laps, not one person or poster has said they missed having the slower cars)

Because of that im suggesting you dont actually care and will make no difference to your interest. However it might reduce safety cars thus causing less people to become jaded like masked racer has mentioned
Old 11 Feb 2018, 02:56 (Ref:3800401)   #99
Ospi
Veteran

Quote:
No one is suggesting we get rid of multi class racing. Just getting rid of one of the classes, like we have got rid of other classes in recent years.

I didnt hear one driver in a GT3 cars announce that they enjoyed dealing with the slower cars. the common response was "the traffic makes it difficult, but it something you have to deal with". No one at all said" i enjoy passing the same car every 6 laps" (last year it was every 5 laps, not one person or poster has said they missed having the slower cars)

Because of that im suggesting you dont actually care and will make no difference to your interest. However it might reduce safety cars thus causing less people to become jaded like masked racer has mentioned
Since I engineer in blancpain Asia which has gt3 and GT4 and Asian Le man's which until this season had the slower CN cars, so I have a pretty good idea of driver opinions of the slower machinery from both sides of the story.

The teams have no interest in limiting the amount of cars of either class and I've noticed dealt with a driver who would prefer reducing the variety, because they're endurance drivers and it's part and parcel of endurance racing.
Old 11 Feb 2018, 03:15 (Ref:3800405)   #100
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ospi View Post
Since I engineer in blancpain Asia which has gt3 and GT4 and Asian Le man's which until this season had the slower CN cars, so I have a pretty good idea of driver opinions of the slower machinery from both sides of the story.

The teams have no interest in limiting the amount of cars of either class and I've noticed dealt with a driver who would prefer reducing the variety, because they're endurance drivers and it's part and parcel of endurance racing.
so why did Asian Le Mans get rid of the slower CN cars then? Well apart from they werent showing up anyway!

Happy for you to provide a quote.

Watched Asian Le Mans, no Gt4 there, why is that?