Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 3 Mar 2019, 12:18 (Ref:3887998)   #151
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
No problem with the allocation. GT cars are the heart and soul of sportscar racing. Either they make the bulk of the grid of just take them out entirely and run protos only at Le Mans. Which I am ok with actually as well. GTE Pro is the best racing on the planet today.

I'll make another comment that will trigger you guys: I hope everybody uses their traditional factory liveries this year. 4 White/Red/Black Porsches and 4 Maroon/Dark Blue Fords.
Dull, dull, dull..... IMO.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
Depends what you call the top class. For 2019 it is GTE.
I rather think we've twigged that one already.......
Old 4 Mar 2019, 08:31 (Ref:3888132)   #152
Lutzvic
Racer

Lutzvic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Exactely!
Old 4 Mar 2019, 10:09 (Ref:3888153)   #153
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
Clearly some prefer more prototypes, others more GTs.

Either way we should be thankful that there will be a full grid. Some of us can well remember 1992 Le Mans - 30 entries, 14 finishers and not one GT among them.

At least we have variety this year and, if nothing else, the inclusion of so many GTs is closer to the original spirit of the race .
Old 4 Mar 2019, 11:52 (Ref:3888166)   #154
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Vieux View Post
At least we have variety this year
???

Along with 2017 it's actually the lowest amount of chassis variety this decade. And I haven't even included multiple chassis options (divided to different categories, or for example open top version next to coupe etc) to this list but just the makes themselves

Toyota
Oreca
Dallara
Kodewa-Kolles
Onroak
Ferrari
Porsche
Ford
Aston Martin
Corvette
BMW
= 11

Toyota
Oreca
Dallara
Kodewa-Kolles
Ginetta
Onroak
Ferrari
Porsche
Aston Martin
Ford
Corvette
BMW
(Reserve: Riley)
= 12+1

Porsche
Toyota
Kodewa-Kolles
Oreca
Onroak
Dallara
Riley
Ferrari
Corvette
Ford
Aston Martin
= 11

Audi
Porsche
Toyota
Oreca
Kodewa-Kolles
Onroak
BR
Zytek
Ferrari
Corvette
Ford
Aston Martin
= 12

Audi
Porsche
Toyota
Nissan
Oreca
Kodewa-Kolles
Onroak
BR
Zytek
Dome
Ferrari
Corvette
Aston Martin
Viper
(Withdrawn: HPD)
= 14+1

Audi
Porsche
Toyota
Oreca
Kodewa-Kolles
Onroak
Zytek
Ferrari
Corvette
Aston Martin
Viper
Nissan
(Withdrawn: Dome)
= 12+1

Audi
Toyota
Lola
HPD
Oreca
Onroak
Zytek
Kodewa-Kolles
Ferrari
Porsche
Corvette
Aston Martin
Viper
(Withdrawn: GreenGT)
= 13+1

Audi
Toyota
Lola
Pescarolo (03)
Dome
HPD
Onroak
Oreca
Zytek
Norma
Ferrari
Porsche
Corvette
Aston Martin
Nissan
(Withdrawn: Lotus)
= 15+1

Audi
Peugeot
Lola
Pescarolo/Onroak
HPD
Zytek
Aston Martin
Oreca/Courage
Norma
Ferrari
Porsche
Corvette
BMW
Ford
Lotus
= 15

Audi
Peugeot
Lola
Pescarolo/Onroak
Oreca/Courage
HPD
Zytek
WR
Norma
Aston Martin
Corvette
Ford
Saleen
Lamborghini
Ferrari
Porsche
BMW
Spyker
Jaguar
(Withdrawn: Dome)
= 19+1

Last edited by Deleted; 4 Mar 2019 at 12:02.
Old 4 Mar 2019, 13:45 (Ref:3888193)   #155
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
Sorry, I should have made my post clearer.

I meant that GT in 2019 has much more variety than in 1992:
Old 4 Mar 2019, 13:51 (Ref:3888196)   #156
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Clearly some prefer more prototypes, others more GTs.

Either way we should be thankful that there will be a full grid. Some of us can well remember 1992 Le Mans - 30 entries, 14 finishers and not one GT among them.
But actually a rather good race between Peugeot and Toyota - and sensational cars..... other than the Debora, of course.....
Old 4 Mar 2019, 13:52 (Ref:3888200)   #157
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Participation percentages

WEC in LM24
The grid: 34/60 = 56,66%
Reserves included: 34/70 = 48,57%

ELMS in LM24
The grid: 13/60 = 21,66%
Reserves included: 20/70 = 28,57%

IMSA in LM24
The grid: 9/60 = 15,00 %
Reserves included: 10/70 = 14,28%

ASLMS in LM24
The grid: 4/60 = 6,66%
Reserves included: 6/70 = 8,57%

---

WEC 2018-2019 Full Season accepted into LM24
The grid: 34/36 = 94,44%
Reserves included: 34/36 = 94,44%

ELMS 2019 Full Season accepted into LM24
The grid: 12/41 = 29,26%
Reserves included: 19/41 = 46,34%
Old 4 Mar 2019, 14:23 (Ref:3888207)   #158
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Risi to skip Sebring

This makes even more of a mockery of their LM entry and the ACO's alleged entry criteria. Very clearly a political move to add a bullet to Ferrari's gun against the Ford/Porsche hordes. I like Risi as much as the next fan, and I love the idea of a privateer (even a heavily factory-favoured one) competing in the Pro class, but this is another slap in the face for faithful ACO series entrants.

https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/r...er-imsa-plans/
Old 4 Mar 2019, 14:30 (Ref:3888208)   #159
Deleted
Veteran

They announced the no-intention-to-race-anywhere before Daytona even started so this is kind of non-news at this point

Anyways Ferrari had the third LM-only AF Corse last year and this is just their replacement lobby entry now to counter balance for the mass Porsche/Ford fleet once again, we all know it really

Next year they don't need them because PRO depletes itself
Old 4 Mar 2019, 14:45 (Ref:3888211)   #160
Le Vieux
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
But actually a rather good race between Peugeot and Toyota - and sensational cars..... other than the Debora, of course.....

I seem to recall that some years ago, when I made a similar remark about Debora, there was an outcry in their favour......

It's these small French teams that add greatly to the flavour of LM - something that has perhaps been missing in recent years
Old 4 Mar 2019, 15:04 (Ref:3888213)   #161
Deleted
Veteran

What is also missing is the weird / leftield / unique / exotic / questionable cars and teams... You know Pilbeams, Paganis, Domes etc... Now the only one left is ByKolles lol
Old 4 Mar 2019, 15:37 (Ref:3888221)   #162
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
I seem to recall that some years ago, when I made a similar remark about Debora, there was an outcry in their favour......

It's these small French teams that add greatly to the flavour of LM - something that has perhaps been missing in recent years
True enough. But the Debora was very bad indeed.......
Old 4 Mar 2019, 16:42 (Ref:3888234)   #163
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
True enough. But the Debora was very bad indeed.......
If I recall correctly from the '92 review video, it provided a small moment of amusement when Bob Constanduros in the pitlane was reporting on something, the booth interrupted with news about the Debora spinning, and he tried at least 4 times the "Debora pirouetting" line until the booth caught on.
Old 4 Mar 2019, 17:00 (Ref:3888238)   #164
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Ah yes Victor, I remember that very well..... The Debora was very good at pirouetting too.....
Old 4 Mar 2019, 19:47 (Ref:3888269)   #165
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Looking at the United Autosports thing a little more - the more you look at it, the worse it gets.

The one entry they have is for AsLMS. The ELMS Entry appears 3rd on the reserve list. UA finished 4th in ELMS. DragonSpeed, Panis Barthez, TDS Racing, Graff, Algarve and Vilorba Corse all finished behind them and gained entries. They're also behind Duqueine and High Class on the reserves, who they also beat.

You could argue "they have an entry, why do they need more?" but that argument falls down quickly when we have 4 Ford and 4 Porsches. I suspect that the DPi project may get a little more funding now.

Looking at GTE-Am, it makes even less sense. #55 Spirit of Race is a little bit of an odd one to put in, but 2 Kessel Racing cars? Meanwhile, Ebimotors step up from GT3 to GTE-Am and actually lose a slot? Proton have managed to secure 4 entries as well - ok 2 of those are WEC, and one is for the ELMS GTE-Am victory, but how is the 4th justified?

It's pretty easy to make an argument for removing the following cars:

Pro
#69 Ford
#94 Porsche

Am
#55 Spirit of Race
#60 Kessel Racing
#78 Proton

You could extend that to include another factory car from Ford and Porsche, but it's getting a bit much at that point. But I'd argue that certainly another United Autosports entry, Duqueine and High Class deserve entries over these cars. And I'd include Ebimotors, since they stepped up in the way the ACO wanted them to.

MSR...I want them to be in, but I can see why they aren't. But that low on the reserve list is a bit crazy. But again, if we weren't flooding the GTE-Pro ranks with factory cars then we'd get fun entries like this.

Edit: And I don't care that the Ginetta didn't make it on. Sorry, this is just another LMP3 mess. Had plenty of chances, but didn't make it again.
I agree with much of what you said.
For me personally, I would remove the Risi car as well.
I like Risi, I really do, but since they don't race anywhere I don't think they deserve their entry as much as others do. See Ginetta ...

I think the 4th Proton car is indeed for winning Le Mans.
IIRC they could take up that invitation because they had an active eligable car. That would not have been the case if they only had 2 WEC cars and none in ELMS.
Old 5 Mar 2019, 22:45 (Ref:3888511)   #166
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If the GTs categories had merged, several years ago, we would have more brands in GT. And many "small" prototypes manufacturers cannot afford Le Mans now because competing in a championship is now mandatory.
Old 6 Mar 2019, 08:23 (Ref:3888573)   #167
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PascaLM View Post
And many "small" prototypes manufacturers cannot afford Le Mans now because competing in a championship is now mandatory.
"Small prototype manufacturers" aren't allowed to join LMP2 and LMP3 because of cartel regulations, and as for them in LMP1, obviously they're banned in competing in ELMS/ASLMS/IMSA... and the full season request WEC request doesn't help either
Old 6 Mar 2019, 08:48 (Ref:3888579)   #168
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
"Small prototype manufacturers" aren't allowed to join LMP2 and LMP3 because of cartel regulations, and as for them in LMP1, obviously they're banned in competing in ELMS/ASLMS/IMSA... and the full season request WEC request doesn't help either
And asking a manufacturer to step up from nothing to LMP1 is too big. LMP3/LMP2 stepping stones are gone.
Old 6 Mar 2019, 17:04 (Ref:3888714)   #169
LC2guy
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
LC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
And asking a manufacturer to step up from nothing to LMP1 is too big. LMP3/LMP2 stepping stones are gone.
And even if they made the commitment to fund & build an LMP1, if they couldn't commit to whole WEC, they wouldn't get accepted for Le Mans 24. Too many off the shelf AM GTs take priority. ( just ask Ginetta ).
Old 6 Mar 2019, 18:21 (Ref:3888729)   #170
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by LC2guy View Post
And even if they made the commitment to fund & build an LMP1, if they couldn't commit to whole WEC, they wouldn't get accepted for Le Mans 24. Too many off the shelf AM GTs take priority. ( just ask Ginetta ).
Do we know Ginetta asked? (I may have missed something - I usually do.... ).
Old 6 Mar 2019, 18:39 (Ref:3888734)   #171
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LC2guy View Post
I do agree, but I don't think we should ask Ginetta. The AM GTs have taken priority because Ginetta aren't even putting in the effort to be there anymore. They even said they won't do Spa if they didn't get a LM entry. They blamed everybody but themselves for the state the project is in, and expected to be able to fail to turn up to events they had committed to.

A new manufacturer not getting a LM entry because an Am GT team took it would be sad. Ginetta were given multiple chances, couldn't make it work. It's time to give those spots to teams who will actually make the race and appreciate it.

Might sound harsh, but it is what it is. When the Ginetta LMP1 thread started, a bunch of us said "they better not mess this up like the LMP3", and here we are. Limited sympathy.

As Aysedasi has pointed out - has Ginetta asked? Or are they using this as an excuse? "We didn't get a LM entry, now we won't bother doing Spa". Remember when they blamed the ACO for not letting them run Silverstone, claiming the car was ready? And then it turns out it wasn't? Looks awfully familiar here.
Old 6 Mar 2019, 20:26 (Ref:3888764)   #172
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
I do agree, but I don't think we should ask Ginetta. The AM GTs have taken priority because Ginetta aren't even putting in the effort to be there anymore. They even said they won't do Spa if they didn't get a LM entry. They blamed everybody but themselves for the state the project is in, and expected to be able to fail to turn up to events they had committed to.

A new manufacturer not getting a LM entry because an Am GT team took it would be sad. Ginetta were given multiple chances, couldn't make it work. It's time to give those spots to teams who will actually make the race and appreciate it.

Might sound harsh, but it is what it is. When the Ginetta LMP1 thread started, a bunch of us said "they better not mess this up like the LMP3", and here we are. Limited sympathy.

As Aysedasi has pointed out - has Ginetta asked? Or are they using this as an excuse? "We didn't get a LM entry, now we won't bother doing Spa". Remember when they blamed the ACO for not letting them run Silverstone, claiming the car was ready? And then it turns out it wasn't? Looks awfully familiar here.
Ginetta had asked for entries per what GG said on MP podcast. And they didn't strictly say they wouldn't do Spa otherwise... as in it wasn't a threat, but just 'we might do it'... but anyway now that they indeed have been rejected, going to Spa would obviously be pointless and waste of time and money

Technically their LMP3 chassis never was bad-bad, even after the 'factory' support had ended and most of the original Ginetta teams switched to the stock French option, the chassis managed to beat most of the Onroaks at RLM that one year. And the car is still run at times, about as much as ADESS. Obviously not even mentioning Riley and stillborn Dome

Anyway as I've said before I firmly believe that any LMP1 should be on the grid, regardless of anything else. Also, Average Joe who only watches Le Mans per year isn't going to understand why you would have random clone neverheard GTE-AMs chosen over LMP1 cars
Old 9 Mar 2019, 10:14 (Ref:3889297)   #173
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Rumours and speculation...

"Risi Finalizing Driver Lineup
Despite Pierre Kaffer and Stephane Ortelli appearing on the provisional entry list, the team has yet to finalize the lineup for the race.
A number of drivers, including former Audi LMP1 factory star Benoit Treluyer and Daytona and Sebring winner Pipo Derani, are understood to be in the mix.
Mayer indicated that a final decision will not likely come until closer to the driver nomination deadline in early April.
“It’s a very unique deal,” he said. “It depends on what Giuseppe and Ferrari wants to do.”
It’s believed that longtime Risi driver Toni Vilander will likely be placed with WeatherTech Racing’s effort in GTE-Am, with fellow factory drivers Miguel Molina, Davide Rigon and James Calado already confirmed in AF Corse’s season-long FIA World Endurance Championship entries."

https://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/...te-pro-return/
Old 9 Mar 2019, 11:22 (Ref:3889304)   #174
LC2guy
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
LC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
Ginetta had asked for entries per what GG said on MP podcast.

Anyway as I've said before I firmly believe that any LMP1 should be on the grid, regardless of anything else. Also, Average Joe who only watches Le Mans per year isn't going to understand why you would have random clone neverheard GTE-AMs chosen over LMP1 cars
I Agree. Whilst you have LMP1 Prototypes wanting to enter, surely these should be given priority. ( It's not like Ginetta didn't commit to LMP1, they just over estimated teams interest. Compare that to the " Commitment " of buying a year old GT car for a rich AM). If the day comes when there isn't any interest in Proto class there would be no shortage of GT cars to take over, but whilst Protos are available, let them Race.
Old 9 Mar 2019, 11:32 (Ref:3889306)   #175
Deleted
Veteran

Yes

8 cars also numerically makes your primary class look much much weaker than if it was 10

And yes I can see how the same argument could theoretically be used for prioritizing PRO [over LMP2], but that's still Division 3 or 2 depending how you look at it, not Division 1

Now, a decade ago LMP1 cars did get rejected to reserve lists or shafted completely like Ginetta here as well, but that was because there were 15-25 P1 cars requesting entry in addition to 15-25 LMP2s. P1 did still receive priority over everything else though, look at 2008-2010 for example

Last edited by Deleted; 9 Mar 2019 at 11:42.