Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 18 Jul 2018, 11:33 (Ref:3837291)   #176
DS"
Veteran

Germany
Germany
DS" should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
What I also wonder about is how much this Red Bull-Aston Martin-HWA effort would have in common with Aston Martin Racing?

In my opinion, it's still pretty much a Red Bull entry. The only link to AMR are probably factory drivers like Martin or Thiim and that's it.

Quote:
Maserati and Lexus are still possibilities, yet less likely.

Berger has recently talked about the 2019 schedule and said that he wanted to establish DTM in Italy in a long-term effort*. So at the very least, Berger is rolling out the carpet to Maserati.

*Which isn't a bad idea, if DTM really stays there for a couple of years AND has a good, coherent marketing strategy.
Old 19 Jul 2018, 12:45 (Ref:3837494)   #177
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Nononsensecapeesh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS" View Post
In my opinion, it's still pretty much a Red Bull entry. The only link to AMR are probably factory drivers like Martin or Thiim and that's it.

Berger has recently talked about the 2019 schedule and said that he wanted to establish DTM in Italy in a long-term effort*. So at the very least, Berger is rolling out the carpet to Maserati.

*Which isn't a bad idea, if DTM really stays there for a couple of years AND has a good, coherent marketing strategy.
Hope the rumours are true though DTM has survived with just 2 Manufacturers before, 6 whole years between Opel's departure and the return of BMW.
Old 19 Jul 2018, 15:26 (Ref:3837532)   #178
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But now it will no longer be the case. Neither Audi nor BMW are willing to participate in the series for two manufacturers. Moreover, previously there were 10 cars from each manufacturer. Today there's different economic situation and Audi and BMW can probably field at most 8 cars each, however, that'd still be a problem assuming now we have 18-car field.
Old 20 Jul 2018, 22:02 (Ref:3837754)   #179
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
Sergiev Posad, Moscow Region, Russian Fe
helgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS" View Post

Aren't they trying to make all the Maseratii to become moving plugs (I mean, "electrify" them)? Or they use this brand only because a highly anticipated Alfa are busy with sponsoring some F1 team?
Old 21 Jul 2018, 10:59 (Ref:3837813)   #180
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A 4 cylinder Aston Martin?!
How’s that going to promote sales of their cars??
Old 22 Jul 2018, 20:28 (Ref:3838127)   #181
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by touring fan01 View Post
A 4 cylinder Aston Martin?!
How’s that going to promote sales of their cars??

People will look at an aggressive looking bodywork and won't give a damn of what is inside. I'd guess this is not a project to promote Aston Martin sales. For that they run and pour money in GTE class.
Old 23 Jul 2018, 08:39 (Ref:3838221)   #182
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juntos View Post
I'd guess this is not a project to promote Aston Martin sales.
then why would aston martin waste money to do something that doesnt promote sales or even reflect their engineering?
Old 23 Jul 2018, 09:05 (Ref:3838235)   #183
BobJones
Veteran

BobJones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juntos View Post
People will look at an aggressive looking bodywork and won't give a damn of what is inside.
True that. Only us on TenTenths and commenters on motorsport websites care. The majority of viewers/spectators want to see some exciting racing. And if it means more competitors, that is only a good thing.
Old 23 Jul 2018, 21:33 (Ref:3838372)   #184
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker

A good looking car on close racing series for a margin of a GTE budget, sounds a great plan to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by touring fan01 View Post
then why would aston martin waste money to do something that doesnt promote sales or even reflect their engineering?
DTM is a racing show not a shop-window of products.
Old 24 Jul 2018, 03:03 (Ref:3838412)   #185
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
It would be a pipe dream, but man a Polestar 1 in Class One spec would be an awesome thing.

It even runs a 2.0l 4cyl with force induction on the street car!
Old 24 Jul 2018, 12:55 (Ref:3838484)   #186
DS"
Veteran

Germany
Germany
DS" should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
It would be a pipe dream, but man a Polestar 1 in Class One spec would be an awesome thing.

It even runs a 2.0l 4cyl with force induction on the street car!

I guess Polestar as a manufacturer is too small for DTM. But speaking of: Cyan Racing should have some capacities left, now that they don't do STCC or WTCC at the moment. IIRC, Volvo was interested in entering DTM, before they decided to do WTCC. But now with the new engines and the willingness of DTM to do sensible internationalisation - i.e. driving in countries where there are enough fans or where they may be enough manufacturer interest -, DTM may be more interesting to Volvo/Geely now. I'm sure if they demand a race in China, the DTM would surely oblige.
Old 24 Jul 2018, 19:29 (Ref:3838577)   #187
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
IMO it doesn't maken sense for Geely/Volvo to enter DTM. Their future is electric. Makes more sense to enter F-E and have a customer TCR programme.
Old 7 Aug 2018, 12:46 (Ref:3842082)   #188
Mark0994
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade
Mark0994 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
https://www.touringcartimes.com/2018...red-bull-ring/

Sébastien Ogier secures Mercedes wild card drive at the Red Bull Ring
Old 8 Aug 2018, 20:38 (Ref:3842403)   #189
cg7aa
Veteran

cg7aa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark0994 View Post
https://www.touringcartimes.com/2018...red-bull-ring/

Sébastien Ogier secures Mercedes wild card drive at the Red Bull Ring
Fascinating, do we know how much testing he's had?
Old 8 Aug 2018, 20:39 (Ref:3842404)   #190
cg7aa
Veteran

DTM Brands

Is anybody in the UK going to Brands from the Bedfordshire or East Northamptonshire area and if so, on what days?
Old 11 Aug 2018, 09:39 (Ref:3842945)   #191
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Glorious day at Brands Hatch. The DTM cars are awesome. Very fast, very loud and look amazing.
Old 11 Aug 2018, 13:06 (Ref:3842964)   #192
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
Glorious day at Brands Hatch. The DTM cars are awesome. Very fast, very loud and look amazing.

Only not that great for Jamie Green. What you do today will determine your future, Jamie!
Old 11 Aug 2018, 15:25 (Ref:3842993)   #193
Mountain Man
Racer

Mountain Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Been a great day, but the timings are really odd. You have the main event finishing early afternoon, then just a few demos and a few support bits for the rest of the afternoon for the following 4 hours. I've significant numbers leaving after the DTM. I know there is a pit walk at the end of the day, but it seems bad organising to front load it so much. Especially as the 1st hour was DTM practice when a lot of people were just arriving. Would have made a lot more sense to shift the whole schedule back an hour or two
Old 11 Aug 2018, 15:53 (Ref:3843002)   #194
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
The timetable, and lack of anything else happening, was one of the reasons I decided to give this one a miss. When '15 min signal, '3 min signal' and 'start of green flag lap' are listed as separate lines on the schedule , you know they are struggling to pad out the page.
Old 11 Aug 2018, 16:28 (Ref:3843004)   #195
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
I loved it. 45 mins or so of practice in the early morning sun with hardly anyone around. Watched Qual from inside Paddock Hill Bend, which I don't usually get to. Race just long enough to walk a lot of the track. Done by 1430 and at home by 1600. 2,200 photos to sort through. Lovely!

I don't follow DTM so I have no knowledge of the championship standings or dynamics. I just know that I just spent a glorious 3/4 of a day at a picturesque track in the sun watching absolutely incredible cars - loud, fast and great to look at. I've still got a big grin on my face and my ears are ringing.

My only regret is that I can't make it to Brands tomorrow for more.
Old 11 Aug 2018, 16:35 (Ref:3843009)   #196
cg7aa
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post

I just know that I just spent a glorious 3/4 of a day at a picturesque track in the sun watching absolutely incredible cars - loud, fast and great to look at. I've still got a big grin on my face and my ears are ringing.

My only regret is that I can't make it to Brands tomorrow for more.
Fantastic, sounds like you had fun day out.

They are a bit loud aren't they? I was a little disappointed they all sounded the same when I saw them in July at the Norisring (I had forgotten they used the same engine although the Audis seemed louder off throttle with a bit more popping and banging).
Old 11 Aug 2018, 16:37 (Ref:3843010)   #197
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Shame the stream for the UK round was blocked in the UK...
Old 11 Aug 2018, 16:47 (Ref:3843012)   #198
Mountain Man
Racer

Mountain Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
The timetable, and lack of anything else happening, was one of the reasons I decided to give this one a miss. When '15 min signal, '3 min signal' and 'start of green flag lap' are listed as separate lines on the schedule , you know they are struggling to pad out the page.
To be fair, they do that at Spa for the 24 hours too. I think it's just a stylistic thing. My issue isn't the amount of stuff, it's the order of it.
Old 11 Aug 2018, 19:08 (Ref:3843044)   #199
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
Shame the stream for the UK round was blocked in the UK...
It's on Freesports TV - Channel 422 on Sky if you have it, or available on the TV Player app without subscription.
Old 11 Aug 2018, 19:49 (Ref:3843052)   #200
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
To be fair, they do that at Spa for the 24 hours too. I think it's just a stylistic thing.
Yes, but I wouldn't expect to see a lot of support race activity for a meeting with a 24hr race. A single 55min race on the other hand....