Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 12 Mar 2017, 17:46 (Ref:3718204)   #151
RedZedMikey
Racer

Australia
Victoria, Australia
RedZedMikey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by LD2244 View Post
Townsville, Bathurst, Adelaide, Gold Coast and Melbourne are all on the streets of their respective cities and they don't get in uproar about it so I have no idea why 50 retirees have decided to in Newcastle. Not to mention that all the facts they utilise are fictious drivel.
Don't get wrapped up in your own publicity. I won't speak for the other states because I don't know the facts, but I will speak for Melbourne. Back in 1996 the Save Albert Group did their best to get the AGP circus transferred to a full time circuit rather than the street event Albert Park is. The group claimed 20,000 people attended 1 rally, and grabbed a reasonable amount of media attention. They were unsuccessful (of course), but 21 years later they are still around and still trying. Not the "uproar" it used to be, but they are a "never say die" bunch. Wonder if Newcastle will still even have an event in 21 years time.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-1...-years/6282724
Old 13 Mar 2017, 00:17 (Ref:3718281)   #152
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I will be harsh because that was the number of people there legitmally most weren't there to support the cause (even may have been higher than that but it's still not enough). Also same could be said for Pro-Supercars rally which was hampered in numbers by the Knights game. The jets game would've had minimal influence they only have an average attendance of 8,583 however knights have an average of over 14,000 so if your using that as an excuse im sorry to say mate but that is not really a valid excuse for low numbers.
I think you may have missed the context of my previous point. Excuses on one side vs the other are no more valid

The reference to NBN is laughable.
Old 13 Mar 2017, 04:23 (Ref:3718291)   #153
PS2244
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW
PS2244 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZedMikey View Post
Don't get wrapped up in your own publicity. I won't speak for the other states because I don't know the facts, but I will speak for Melbourne. Back in 1996 the Save Albert Group did their best to get the AGP circus transferred to a full time circuit rather than the street event Albert Park is. The group claimed 20,000 people attended 1 rally, and grabbed a reasonable amount of media attention. They were unsuccessful (of course), but 21 years later they are still around and still trying. Not the "uproar" it used to be, but they are a "never say die" bunch. Wonder if Newcastle will still even have an event in 21 years time.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-1...-years/6282724
Wasn't aware of that petition thankyou for that
Old 13 Mar 2017, 04:28 (Ref:3718292)   #154
PS2244
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
I think you may have missed the context of my previous point. Excuses on one side vs the other are no more valid

The reference to NBN is laughable.
Hahaha the nbn referance was a joke which I poorly executed it was a jab at some of the anti Supercars Facebook pages attempts at evidence . But the Supercars event was heavily hampered by the Knights game but I understand what you mean and I do believe I misread the context of your reply . For future reference are you pro or anti supercars @ Newcastle?

Last edited by PS2244; 13 Mar 2017 at 04:34.
Old 13 Mar 2017, 05:04 (Ref:3718294)   #155
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is more chance of 20 protesters getting the event called off than there is of 80 supporters getting the event to happen.

Afterall it only takes 1 complaint to the council to force a pub to have to cancel live music.

Having said that, I find it unlikely this event won't happen this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
D.R.T and his other Supercar-hating mates will be at the next one. All is not lost
Given the way that mob has treated various parts of the Australian motorsport fraternity over the last 20 years, why do you seem surprised there might be some 'haters' out there?
Old 13 Mar 2017, 06:22 (Ref:3718302)   #156
PS2244
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
There is more chance of 20 protesters getting the event called off than there is of 80 supporters getting the event to happen.

Afterall it only takes 1 complaint to the council to force a pub to have to cancel live music.

Having said that, I find it unlikely this event won't happen this year.

Given the way that mob has treated various parts of the Australian motorsport fraternity over the last 20 years, why do you seem surprised there might be some 'haters' out there?
The point of the Supercars support event wasn't to get the event to happen it was to emphasise how these protestors are a merely a very vocal minority in our community (which they evidently are). Either way no matter what happens the contract has been signed and it'll go on irrespective of these local protestors and their distorted perception of the truth all of their points against are based upon fictious facts and have easily been debunked (this is not an insult to them it's just my opinion). With the amount of money within this contract 20 people out of the over 300,000 Newcastle residents is not enough to warrant a cancellation of the contract especially when most news polls show the pros outweighs the antis 3:1 or higher

Last edited by PS2244; 13 Mar 2017 at 06:30.
Old 13 Mar 2017, 12:37 (Ref:3718356)   #157
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Either way no matter what happens the contract has been signed and it'll go on irrespective of these local protestors
Contracts have been broken before - especially due to poor performance or escalating costs or issues with local governments. For example - how many contracts did Malaysia sign? Or for how many years was the COTA contract? Or the Chinese contract? Or Hamilton

Quote:
With the amount of money within this contract 20 people out of the over 300,000 Newcastle residents is not enough to warrant a cancellation of the contract especially when most news polls show the pros outweighs the antis 3:1 or higher
Not sure what the amount of money has to do with it? If anything it will add to greater scrutiny, accountability and pressure from locals
Old 13 Mar 2017, 20:22 (Ref:3718438)   #158
PS2244
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
Contracts have been broken before - especially due to poor performance or escalating costs or issues with local governments. For example - how many contracts did Malaysia sign? Or for how many years was the COTA contract? Or the Chinese contract? Or Hamilton

Not sure what the amount of money has to do with it? If anything it will add to greater scrutiny, accountability and pressure from locals
The vast majority of us locals want the event this is a vocal minority DRT
Old 13 Mar 2017, 22:42 (Ref:3718467)   #159
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
How many stand alone races have the GT3 community tried to get up in Australia?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 14 Mar 2017, 04:39 (Ref:3718486)   #160
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
What in gods name does GT3 have to do with anything happening in Newcastle? It's not even on the support card for the event
Old 14 Mar 2017, 05:55 (Ref:3718490)   #161
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
Relevance?

Is this another example deflection and avoidance? Might be something for the moderators to look into
Old 14 Mar 2017, 06:29 (Ref:3718493)   #162
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Baffled by the relevance of this? Isn't this the sub-forum that moved any GT3 talk to another forum? Weird.
Old 14 Mar 2017, 07:09 (Ref:3718498)   #163
RedZedMikey
Racer

Australia
Victoria, Australia
Quote:
Wow, that is a curve ball, why ask that question?
Maybe the content of post #146 is a clue.
Whatever, GT3 had not been mentioned in the previous 158 posts in this thread ...

Anyway, to answer your question, I believe AGT have had a small amount of stand alone meetings in the past. They tried to get Tasmania up for 2017, but the competitors pushed against that.

The difference between the AGT stand alone meets and Newcastle is that AGT would only try to do it by working with an existing circuit.
Old 14 Mar 2017, 08:23 (Ref:3718499)   #164
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
its interesting isnt it.

Supercars try to create events like newcastle to bring racing to the people. aust Gt3 need crowds to help fund their racing for the year. but the Gt3 fanbois complain and knock supercars even though Gt3 would disappear from public viewing in australia without supercars

Supercars closes. then motorsport suffers significantly in australia. times have changed and what happened once will not occur again if supercars fold
Old 14 Mar 2017, 08:58 (Ref:3718502)   #165
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
its interesting isnt it.

Supercars try to create events like newcastle to bring racing to the people. aust Gt3 need crowds to help fund their racing for the year. but the Gt3 fanbois complain and knock supercars even though Gt3 would disappear from public viewing in australia without supercars

Supercars closes. then motorsport suffers significantly in australia. times have changed and what happened once will not occur again if supercars fold
Mr Peck,

I agree with your analogy, but I would like a rebuff and open debate.

Agreed Supercars do put on a good show .
However over the past 20 years , they have burnt their bridges in regards to support categories.

And it has been pointed on this forum, and others by ppl close to the action, that the demands by supercars , is they come first all others , to use an Aust slang, "get to the back of the bus"

I do remember a early meeting in 2000's where Formula Vee actually were able to promote the category at a V8 meeting.
This was because of a private promoter not Super Cars

It has been reported on this forum and others, about the cost for a category to come and play at a V8 Supercars/Virgin Australian Supercars meeting.

I am not knocking Supercars , as they are in a business, and yes I have worked at some of the Big Australians businesses, and aware how the operate.

But my rebuff is:
If Supercars are really interested in the development of Motorsport, then cut the supports some slack, allow them to promote their respective categories so they can attract new competitors .
This way potential drivers can get a foot in the door , without the old adage , Daddy's got money.
How many drivers who have talent , but no $$$$$, to play the Supercars circus
Don't enforce high fees to come and play.
Put something back.

But this is similar to the waffle from AFL, NRL, Rugby, and others
" we support grass roots"

If you believe that, then get the lights out , for the flying pink pigs

One series cannot dictate what happens

cheers
Old 14 Mar 2017, 09:29 (Ref:3718506)   #166
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
i dont think Supercars wants or needs to promote other forms of motorsport. At the end of the day Supercars job is to promote supercars and the better it does its job then the better the opportunities for other forms of motorsport. Bigger crowds and tv viewing means more opportunities for other categories like Gt3 to promote their product.

street races tend to have crowds more than double the size of permanent circuits and that's why Newcastle is important. Take a look at all the major sporting events, they tend to happen in large towns close to the city centre with public transportvery rarely in rural areas like many of australias race tracks
Old 14 Mar 2017, 09:50 (Ref:3718509)   #167
one five five
Veteran

Quote:
Supercars closes. then motorsport suffers significantly in australia..
Short term perhaps, long term not at all

Quote:
i dont think Supercars wants or needs to promote other forms of motorsport.
Yet they are promoting the GT3-based 12hr, are promoting the "SuperUTE" category, and then there is this ridiculous "Super5000" stuff the Supercars management seemingly want to be involved in

It seems they do want to promote other forms of motorsport
Old 14 Mar 2017, 09:56 (Ref:3718510)   #168
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Yet they are promoting the GT3-based 12hr, are promoting the "SuperUTE" category, and then there is this ridiculous "Super5000" stuff the Supercars management seemingly want to be involved in
I would say the majority of the power brokers in V8 land want NOTHING to do with it - there seems to be a few barrow pushers but they are not in the majority.

Did the thing end up doing demo laps at Clipsal?
Old 14 Mar 2017, 09:58 (Ref:3718511)   #169
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Short term perhaps, long term not at all

It seems they do want to promote other forms of motorsport
No im saying for ever, not just long term, times have changed

ok, we are prehaps talking about something different, i acknowledge they own the categories, but i was talking about stuff they dont own, like Gt3, ARC, CC F4, TCM etc. those categories job is to promote themselves and the best way is often on the v8 card even at a higher cost (and you should have to pay more when the crowd is bigger)
Old 14 Mar 2017, 10:06 (Ref:3718514)   #170
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
i dont think Supercars wants or needs to promote other forms of motorsport. At the end of the day Supercars job is to promote supercars and the better it does its job then the better the opportunities for other forms of motorsport. Bigger crowds and tv viewing means more opportunities for other categories like Gt3 to promote their product.

street races tend to have crowds more than double the size of permanent circuits and that's why Newcastle is important. Take a look at all the major sporting events, they tend to happen in large towns close to the city centre with public transportvery rarely in rural areas like many of australias race tracks
Again you put forward a true point.
Yes street circuits do draw crowds. Yes Newcastle is important, and I think you would agree with me, there is a lot of people in regional ares that will come.
Just like Townsville. The population is not centralised like Syd, Melb, etc, but spread, and yes it will be a successful event.
I just dont like Supercars idea of charging supports a lot of $$ , when they will make buckets and tax payers have to cough up dollars.
Same as Govt building $90 mil stadiums to play footy and rebuild them every ten years

Hope it goes well , and everyone has a great time, and it lasts more than five years
Old 14 Mar 2017, 10:08 (Ref:3718516)   #171
RedZedMikey
Racer

Australia
Victoria, Australia
Quote:
... the Gt3 fanbois complain and knock supercars even though Gt3 would disappear from public viewing in australia without supercars
Given your comment follows my post, I assume you think of me as a GT3 "fanboi". Correct. I'm not ashamed to admit that GT3 through AGT and B12 is my favourite category in Oz today, and has been for some time.

But don't jump to the conclusion that I am a VASC "hater". On the contrary, I watch all the VASC that is live to FTA, and all the post race highlights for those not live. I get some Foxtel action via a mate.

There are some things I don't like in VASC, just as there are some I don't like about AGT. Some things VASC does better, others AGT does better. To summarise, for me the AGT show is about a 9/10, and the VASC show rates about a 7½/10. I am not talking about the show from the lounge seat here, but the show from trackside.

I have not yet made any negative comments about Newcastle (or Homebush); but I never went to Homebush, and I doubt I would ever make the interstate drive to Newcastle even if AGT was added. As an amateur photographer, high-fence street circuits are so limiting that I don't bother - most of our purpose built racetracks are much more photo friendly.

As for Supercars disappearing - unlikely, perhaps more of a re-boot. But if they do go, then yes,events like Clipsal, Townsville, Surfers and Newcastle would also disappear. Motor racing, however, I would bet would still continue, and I would also put money on it that AGT would too.
Old 14 Mar 2017, 10:29 (Ref:3718517)   #172
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
Quote:

ok, we are prehaps talking about something different, i acknowledge they own the categories, but i was talking about stuff they dont own, like Gt3, ARC, CC F4, TCM etc. those categories job is to promote themselves and the best way is often on the v8 card even at a higher cost (and you should have to pay more when the crowd is bigger)
This is one point that annoys a lot of ppl, Supercars get paid big bucks for the television rights (and not a bad bundle of dollars) from Fox/TEN to show the event across Aust/NZ and where ever else, yet they want supports to pay for for something they are are getting money for already.

If this was a Govt thing, everybody would be screaming, about double dipping.

Just like a Politician claiming for a house not in his electorate .

If you want supports, then give them a break, not charge an entry fee, limited to 6 tickets for the car and team, pay 40k per category to be shown on TV, FOX (and get Mil $$) then charge punters for streaming, etc,
and don't forget the new super app , for mobiles.

Warbuton and I believe yourself like the fox deal, all qualifying, all practice, supports as per Warbutons release, or have they back flipped.
Old 14 Mar 2017, 10:31 (Ref:3718518)   #173
one five five
Veteran

Quote:
Total utter rubbish
Old 14 Mar 2017, 10:52 (Ref:3718523)   #174
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by fomoco View Post
This is one point that annoys a lot of ppl, Supercars get paid big bucks for the television rights (and not a bad bundle of dollars) from Fox/TEN to show the event across Aust/NZ and where ever else, yet they want supports to pay for for something they are are getting money for already.

If this was a Govt thing, everybody would be screaming, about double dipping.

Just like a Politician claiming for a house not in his electorate .

If you want supports, then give them a break, not charge an entry fee, limited to 6 tickets for the car and team, pay 40k per category to be shown on TV, FOX (and get Mil $$) then charge punters for streaming, etc,
and don't forget the new super app , for mobiles.

Warbuton and I believe yourself like the fox deal, all qualifying, all practice, supports as per Warbutons release, or have they back flipped.
so let me get this right, yout think support categories should be free? Dont get that at all. support categories get a massive benefit by being at a supercars event.( audience) They should contribute to the costs of the event. If they want a cheap event they are welcome to do it themself. except that would cost and they would get no crowd or tv coverage.

and yes we get it all on fox, its great, best coverage the series has ever had
Old 14 Mar 2017, 10:57 (Ref:3718524)   #175
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZedMikey View Post
Given your comment follows my post, I assume you think of me as a GT3 "fanboi". Correct. I'm not ashamed to admit that GT3 through AGT and B12 is my favourite category in Oz today, and has been for some time.

But don't jump to the conclusion that I am a VASC "hater". On the contrary, I watch all the VASC that is live to FTA, and all the post race highlights for those not live. I get some Foxtel action via a mate.

There are some things I don't like in VASC, just as there are some I don't like about AGT. Some things VASC does better, others AGT does better. To summarise, for me the AGT show is about a 9/10, and the VASC show rates about a 7½/10. I am not talking about the show from the lounge seat here, but the show from trackside.

I have not yet made any negative comments about Newcastle (or Homebush); but I never went to Homebush, and I doubt I would ever make the interstate drive to Newcastle even if AGT was added. As an amateur photographer, high-fence street circuits are so limiting that I don't bother - most of our purpose built racetracks are much more photo friendly.

As for Supercars disappearing - unlikely, perhaps more of a re-boot. But if they do go, then yes,events like Clipsal, Townsville, Surfers and Newcastle would also disappear. Motor racing, however, I would bet would still continue, and I would also put money on it that AGT would too.
wasnt particularily aiming at you, more the gt3 fanbois who like to come and talk crap about supercars.

and im sure motorsport would continue, just very few people will be watching