Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 24 Jul 2019, 06:18 (Ref:3919141)   #826
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVKSS View Post
If TCR can pull off a somewhat decent FTA TV deal, esp with TCM on the bill, its going to be a game-changer.... and id say this is what has V8SC worried.
Big cost attached to a better TV coverage.

Quote:
the overheads for TCR are much smaller, they are not hamstrung by having to pay off the teams as much as a V8SC at this stage. the commercial options are much wider, esp if the main target is getting eyes on screens rather than collecting cash to hand back to teams....
Next 2 years could get interesting, as it seems TCR manufacturers are in an arms race at the moment and the organisers need to keep it under control.

Original cars were 85k Euro and when the Honda came in with the fancy gearbox all the DSG cars went out the window and the cap went up to 130k Euro.

Many saying the Honda and then the Hyundai are really pushing the cap and the Lynk & Co not for sale that the cap is going to get busted when the current 130k Euro cap expires, in 2020, so this is a clear and present danger that TCR could follow in the footsteps of Group A if the organisers don't get the manufacturers in line.

All of the VAG cars are going to get a refresh next year, so Aussie runners would want to be careful spending too much!
Old 24 Jul 2019, 06:24 (Ref:3919142)   #827
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post

Hmmm, I wonder if after just a few meetings there might be a FTA or even a PayTV network keen on a collaboration? They've got some decent support events at their disposal.
Old 24 Jul 2019, 07:14 (Ref:3919145)   #828
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
TCR Australia IMHO is doing well because it's done things it's way, rather than trying to be a threat to Supercars. As well as that it's being promoted well and so it's getting plenty of interest as a result
Old 24 Jul 2019, 07:30 (Ref:3919147)   #829
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
Hmmm, I wonder if after just a few meetings there might be a FTA or even a PayTV network keen on a collaboration? They've got some decent support events at their disposal.
Nobody is going to do anything for free. The production is expensive and either advertisers have to pay for it, or the category pays for it.
Old 24 Jul 2019, 09:01 (Ref:3919152)   #830
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, having upset the applecart with their wish to be on the card at the Clipsal 500 (whatever they call it now) they have given up pursuing that event in favour of having scored themselves a confirmed gig on the support card of the Australian GP meeting.

https://www.speedcafe.com/2019/07/24...and-prix-bill/
Old 24 Jul 2019, 22:00 (Ref:3919236)   #831
Compromised
Veteran

Compromised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"It is, however, expected that the event could attract international competitors and could become part of a proposed Asia Pacific Series tabled by TCR global boss Marcello Lotti."

This to me, is the interesting part. International regulations allowing foreign teams to compete in certain events - GP, Bathurst etc is a HUGE plus.

Supercars "bespoke" regulations really stymie any chance of that unfortunately.
Old 24 Jul 2019, 22:20 (Ref:3919238)   #832
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compromised View Post
"It is, however, expected that the event could attract international competitors and could become part of a proposed Asia Pacific Series tabled by TCR global boss Marcello Lotti."

This to me, is the interesting part. International regulations allowing foreign teams to compete in certain events - GP, Bathurst etc is a HUGE plus.

Supercars "bespoke" regulations really stymie any chance of that unfortunately.
It stops teams, and has unfortunate in recent years seen a diminishing number of international drivers. (yes I am excluding kiwis.)

The peak of international involvement in terms of quality drivers driving uniquely Australian cars occurred 40 years ago.

Imagine if the international entry of the 1977 or 78 Hardie Ferodo was replicated today.
Old 24 Jul 2019, 23:15 (Ref:3919239)   #833
Mark Petch
Veteran

Mark Petch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post

Next 2 years could get interesting, as it seems TCR manufacturers are in an arms race at the moment and the organisers need to keep it under control.

Original cars were 85k Euro and when the Honda came in with the fancy gearbox all the DSG cars went out the window and the cap went up to 130k Euro.

Many saying the Honda and then the Hyundai are really pushing the cap and the Lynk & Co not for sale that the cap is going to get busted when the current 130k Euro cap expires, in 2020, so this is a clear and present danger that TCR could follow in the footsteps of Group A if the organisers don't get the manufacturers in line.

All of the VAG cars are going to get a refresh next year, so Aussie runners would want to be careful spending too much!
Mixer, a brand new Hyundai i30N TCR car costs 128,000 EURO, whilst a Audi S3 TCR car cost 130,000 EURO, as does the Renault Megane.

Cheers,

Mark.
Old 24 Jul 2019, 23:23 (Ref:3919241)   #834
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Of interest is today I read of an increased Renault involvement and backing of GRM for their two car Renault TCR team.

https://www.speedcafe.com/2019/07/25...a-involvement/
Old 25 Jul 2019, 00:06 (Ref:3919243)   #835
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm guessing it was Renault Australia who paid for the ex-auction yard written-off road car the team cannibalised to fix the race cars.
Old 25 Jul 2019, 00:09 (Ref:3919245)   #836
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Petch View Post
Mixer, a brand new Hyundai i30N TCR car costs 128,000 EURO, whilst a Audi S3 TCR car cost 130,000 EURO, as does the Renault Megane.
I know that Mark, but the 130k Euro cap expires in 2020 and each new car is increasing in cost, and it is mooted that with the new VAG cars next year the cap will be raised again, as happened in 2015 with the Honda - rendering the current crop uncompetitive. Granted, this was a technology shift which may not apply as much to future changes but there's no doubt each new car raises the bar.

I for one hope that the cap isn't raised much, but you could also fairly suggest that everything goes up in cost over time, but I just hope that the jump isn't so large as when the Honda landed.

This is where the teams can't do what is good for themselves, and the organisers need to stamp that out.

The rumours about Lynk and Co's spending are obviously clear, but if the new rules are any more than say 150k Euro cap, then the "cost effective" moniker gets less and less credible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
I'm guessing it was Renault Australia who paid for the ex-auction yard written-off road car the team cannibalised to fix the race cars.
Great news, and smart play by GRM.

I'm not the world's biggest fan of Moffat but he seems to have settled down a bit and I think his performance and candour have been an asset to Renault. Great to see a name with such a proud racing heritage supporting racing on your soil.
Old 28 Jul 2019, 07:18 (Ref:3919796)   #837
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
After a great debut at the Bend in the Honda, nice to see Jordan Cox get a gig at GRM/Alfa, unfortunately at the expense of Jimmy Vernon.
Old 28 Jul 2019, 08:09 (Ref:3919801)   #838
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Perhaps Mr Vernon will take his budget to Wall Racing, and lease the Civic Mr Cox used?
Old 29 Jul 2019, 02:04 (Ref:3920163)   #839
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Probably won't see Jimmy till next year. Saving up the €€€€'s for a purchase.
Old 1 Aug 2019, 07:17 (Ref:3920625)   #840
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Vernon FB
By now the word is out, I am sitting out of this weekend’s TCR Australia round at Queensland Raceway.

Despite being a paying customer of GRM, I respect their decision to put me on the sidelines regardless of how disappointed I am. While not all information making its way onto websites is completely true around the reasons I am sitting out the event, I will openly put my hand up and admit I have made some critical racing errors while competing in the GRM Alfa Romeo. This year has been a big learning curve... Learning to drive a front-wheel drive car and also joining a team who is also new to the world of TCR.

My dream is to become a professional race car driver and despite winning a national championship and racing a variety of national and state level championships, I do need to work full-time as a sign writer to assist in funding my dream. In my personal opinion, this does not hinder my racing career or my performance on the track.

I would like to say a huge thank you to everyone who supports me, and in particular my sponsors. They not only support me, but have helped fund my position in the GRM outfit.
My personal team is working hard on securing a plan for me in the future. I'm looking forward to getting behind the wheel again and challenging for podiums in 2020.
Interesting...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 1 Aug 2019, 08:03 (Ref:3920629)   #841
JAFA851
Veteran

New Zealand
JAFA851 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow. So now you can't even buy a seat? Or someone else with more money came along?
Old 1 Aug 2019, 10:58 (Ref:3920641)   #842
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFA851 View Post
Wow. So now you can't even buy a seat? Or someone else with more money came along?
Cox = fast
Vernon = not fast

It's that simple, isn't it?

It's a big loss for Wall Racing and Honda to not have Cox in one of the cars IMO.
Old 5 Aug 2019, 04:44 (Ref:3921430)   #843
HDTVKSS
Veteran

HDTVKSS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Interesting...

Any real surprise from the team that also brought you GT sitting on the sidelines?

Its good for Cox, but to be fair hes going to be fast in near anything.
Old 5 Aug 2019, 04:51 (Ref:3921432)   #844
HDTVKSS
Veteran

double post...
Old 5 Aug 2019, 09:06 (Ref:3921469)   #845
Mixer
Veteran

Rusty had a good time in TCR:
https://www.speedcafe.com/2019/08/05...wvinxtoN1Epx3o

I just wonder if someone might have been more willing to fund his drive if he didn't rag on the Honda on his podcast....
Old 6 Aug 2019, 04:51 (Ref:3921609)   #846
Umai Naa
Veteran

Third Renault en route to GRM.
Old 6 Aug 2019, 04:56 (Ref:3921610)   #847
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
Third Renault en route to GRM.
A spare long engine, including turbo, exhaust, ancillaries, alternator, power steering system etc. might have been a better get...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 6 Aug 2019, 12:24 (Ref:3921665)   #848
HDTVKSS
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
A spare long engine, including turbo, exhaust, ancillaries, alternator, power steering system etc. might have been a better get...
Given the whole car is around the same price as running and maintaining a V8SC engine, i think they will be ok....
Old 6 Aug 2019, 22:54 (Ref:3921741)   #849
Umai Naa
Veteran

The point is, there wasn't a spare turbo to replace the dud one, and the new engine wasn't ready to go, requiring several hours work to swap numerous key components off the dud engine to make it complete.
Old 7 Aug 2019, 00:03 (Ref:3921745)   #850
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Given the whole car is around the same price as running and maintaining a V8SC engine, i think they will be ok....
How long does $220k (car without spares) get you Supercar engine maintenance for?

Also if these parts are so cheap and in constant supply, why doesn't anybody have said spares then....