Will retire at Toyota doing nothing spectacular 9 22.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 13 Sep 2003, 18:48 (Ref:717676)   #1
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Christiano DaMatta

I've been most impressed with some of his performances this season,but how far d'you think he'll go in F1?

Any comments on his performances and driving ability?

Umm.. Mods i seem to have forgotten to add 2 more options in the poll can you do it?
3. Will convert Toyota to a champ winning force
4. Will finish at Toyota doing nothing spectacular

Last edited by ralf fan; 13 Sep 2003 at 18:52.
Old 13 Sep 2003, 19:12 (Ref:717691)   #2
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If he gets a drive for the best one or two teams, or Toyota becomes top dog, then I'd say he's definately a future world champion. If Toyota doesn't get any better, or he never gets a drive with a top-dog team, then no. I think that's the case for about half of the grid though. It's hard to say...we'll see.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 13 Sep 2003, 19:17 (Ref:717700)   #3
MLM
Veteran

MLM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think he'll be a future World Champion (time might run out for him, age-wise) but I do think he'll win some races in the years to come and make people take notice.
Old 13 Sep 2003, 19:44 (Ref:717726)   #4
CleanTone
Racer

Romania
Colentina
CleanTone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ditto mlm
Old 13 Sep 2003, 20:05 (Ref:717766)   #5
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Newbury Park, CA, United States
Muzza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The correct spelling of his name is da Matta. It is not DaMatta, Da Matta or daMatta.

In Portuguese, prepositions and nouns are always separated, even for names. Also, prepositions are not to be written with capital letters - again, the rule does not change for names.

Contrary to Italian, German, Dutch and other languages, usually the preposition should not be listed as part of Portuguese surnames. For example, João Paulo de Oliveira, the newly-crowned German F-3 champion, would be referred to as Sr. Oliveira, and not "Sr. de Oliveira". Cristiano da Matta, though, is an exception.

Also, it is Cristiano, not "Christiano". But it is Christian Fittipaldi.

Last edited by Muzza; 13 Sep 2003 at 20:06.
Old 13 Sep 2003, 20:19 (Ref:717787)   #6
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I can see him doing well at Toyota, if given a chance, because the team definately appears to be moving forward, and his form so far has been impressive - probably the best rookie of the year.

CART still seems to be able to produce aggressive, gifted drivers, and da Matta is another ina fine tradion. Some of his showings this year, especially Canada and Sivlerstone, have been remarkable, and worthy of a seasoned veteran.

If he went to a top team for 2005, titels could be in the offing. hwoever, I doubt he will get a big move, simply because he's the worng side of 23 (by some distance). He didn't really shine when he was young, but it does show what a driver can do with a bit fo experience behind him.
Old 13 Sep 2003, 20:44 (Ref:717816)   #7
MichaelH
Veteran

Ukraine
Northumberland, England
MichaelH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He has talent, that's obvious.

But he's 30 years old and in his first year, which makes him sadly a bit old to be seen as a major force in the years to come. But if Toyota become top dog and hang onto him he may just end his career with a handful of GP wins. I see someone like Scott Dixon as Toyotas future WDC.
Old 13 Sep 2003, 20:55 (Ref:717834)   #8
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think if Dixon is to be an F1 champ he might need to get out of the IRL unless that series moves to street courses, he's in the wrong series to show off the talent needed for F1.

Da Matta, well he's had a pretty good season, should be interesting to see how the Toyota goes next year, i'd like to see him and panis getting on the podium soon and start challenging for wins.
Old 13 Sep 2003, 21:05 (Ref:717843)   #9
MichaelH
Veteran

Ukraine
Northumberland, England
MichaelH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree. I really like the IRL as a spectacle, but it's really the wrong place for anyone who aspires to reach the top in Europe, ie get into F1.
Old 13 Sep 2003, 23:16 (Ref:717926)   #10
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think Ryan Briscoe is Toyota's future World Champ. Dixon's IRL season has sent him back to the drawing board. When he gets back to road racing, he's going to have to start from square one and re-establish himself in CART, or F3000 (if they are both still around). I'll be very interested to see what Toyota do with Briscoe for '04 - but I'd love to see a da Matta/Briscoe team in '05.

On da Matta, he's been my rookie of the year.
Old 14 Sep 2003, 00:49 (Ref:717950)   #11
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't know whether da Matta has the time on his side to be WDC with the fact that Toyota still have a lot of development work to do before they're a true contender.
Old 14 Sep 2003, 02:57 (Ref:717973)   #12
Thorstone
Veteran

Thorstone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think he'll be a future World Champion,Nigel Mansell was 39 years old 1992
Old 14 Sep 2003, 04:18 (Ref:717989)   #13
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Dixon's decent, but I've yet to see what all the fuss is about. Everyone keeps trumpeting him like he's proven to be some sort of super prodigy. He could probably compete in F1, but saying he will be one of the best is somewhat speculative. (IMO)

So far in F1 da Matta has had brief flashes of excellence. He's done fine other than that, but I expected a bit more. He took a while to really start performing in CART, so maybe he'll just take a year or two more to start to really shine.
Old 14 Sep 2003, 05:35 (Ref:718056)   #14
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
da Matta has been very impressive this year, and could turn Toyota into a team that becomes a challenger. But I think age goes against him concerning winning a WDC.

Teams are plumping for cheap, young drivers nowadays.
Old 14 Sep 2003, 06:59 (Ref:718139)   #15
zengiman
Rookie

zengiman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmm, da Matta is currently beaten 12 - 2 by Panis in qualifying, the worst record of F1 this year. Don't think he is going places.
Old 14 Sep 2003, 07:02 (Ref:718140)   #16
jet
Racer

Netherlands
Harderwijk (Netherlands)
jet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He does a great job at Toyota and he can pretty much keep up with Panis.I'll hope we see him on the podium some where in the future.And do well in the WDC!!!
Old 14 Sep 2003, 07:08 (Ref:718144)   #17
Bleu
Veteran

Finland
Espoo, Finland
Bleu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBleu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think he could end scoring points in nearly every race, and scoring one or two podiums in a year. But I don't think he is future WDC.
Old 14 Sep 2003, 08:02 (Ref:718194)   #18
A. C. E. motors
Rookie

England
Leicestershire UK
A. C. E. motors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I choose option 5. He will move to another team (not top 3)and do nothing spectacular.
Old 14 Sep 2003, 08:16 (Ref:718207)   #19
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
CART or IRL within 3 years.
Old 14 Sep 2003, 10:59 (Ref:718329)   #20
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
At the request of ralf fan, two more options have been added
Old 14 Sep 2003, 11:06 (Ref:718331)   #21
alfasud
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
alfasud should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I also think it could be option 5 (another team, but not top 3).

What is the length of a typical F1 drivers carrer? Maybe 10 years, or less if you start driving F1 at 30 years old.

So how many WD Champions will we have in 8-10 years.... 5 or 6 (there are normally one or two multiple champions)?

So lets guess who....
Kimi, JPM, Alonso are a good bet for at least three (or more) WDC.

Who else?
Maybe another for Michael, and one for Ralf, so that makes 5 (or more). Maybe one for Jenson, maybe Webber, maybe DC will have his year, maybe one from someone we didn't guess (Massa?) and probably at least one WDC from someone not driving in F1 yet.

O.k. I was joking about DC , but I don't quite see da Matta ahead of some of those guys I just mentioned. He could prove me wrong, it's still early days yet.
Old 14 Sep 2003, 21:51 (Ref:718865)   #22
racefanatic
Racer

United States
Mindy
racefanatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cristiano might not win a WDC, but I can definately see him being competitive and winning for a top team. (Or maybe even for Toyota since everyone keeps saying that they'll buy their way to a championship.) I know he'll get better and I can't wait until he wins his first F1 race.

Scott Dixon really does need to get out of the IRL... not that I don't enjoy watching him race there, but he's still young and he needs to be doing road racing. He IS a good driver, but a lot of people don't seem to really notice him at all!
Old 14 Sep 2003, 22:19 (Ref:718892)   #23
beau
Racer

beau should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
if he gets to get to go in the Top3 teams then he could win some GP,S but not the Championship
Old 15 Sep 2003, 12:00 (Ref:719442)   #24
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
To be honest, with so many variables, it's near-impossible to choose. I like da Matta and think he has real potential, but so much depends on Toyota's performance. I'm not sure if a top three (top four, surely?) team will pick him up, but who knows? It may be that he will contribute to Toyota's rise to championship winners but will be beaten to the WDC by a team-mate (Dixon, Briscoe, Zonta??).
Old 15 Sep 2003, 12:11 (Ref:719453)   #25
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i think toyota will be gone before da matta wins a wdc!