Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Aug 2013, 23:33 (Ref:3289049)   #1
jeast
Racer

jeast User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
CNN fails at explaining F1 engines.

I saw this article today and it was so funny I thought I should share.
Some of the stand out info written.

Quote:
While a standard engine is powered by a belt connected to the crankshaft, a turbo engine runs on its own exhaust steam, making it more energy efficient.
Quote:
Indeed, throughout the 1980s, the powerful turbo was the F1 engine of choice, able to perform at high altitudes and grip onto steep angles.
http://edition.cnn.com/2013/08/12/sp...html?hpt=hp_c5

Last edited by jeast; 12 Aug 2013 at 23:53.
Old 12 Aug 2013, 23:46 (Ref:3289050)   #2
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
That is an impressive fail. Love to know how they think superchargers work.
Old 12 Aug 2013, 23:49 (Ref:3289051)   #3
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
This is what happens when you get a cadet assigned to write a story on a subject that the editor knows nothing about.....
Old 12 Aug 2013, 23:55 (Ref:3289054)   #4
jeast
Racer

jeast User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
This is what happens when you get a cadet assigned to write a story on a subject that the editor knows nothing about.....
Yeah I also should of posted this from the same woman.
http://edition.cnn.com/video/?/video...ormula-one.cnn
Old 13 Aug 2013, 01:33 (Ref:3289076)   #5
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It could have been worse, it could have been the CNN Atlanta or Washington D.C. team trying to explain F1 technology.
Old 13 Aug 2013, 08:35 (Ref:3289157)   #6
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
Kind of sounds like how foreign correspondent commentary works!
Old 13 Aug 2013, 18:46 (Ref:3289389)   #7
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeast View Post
Yeah I also should of posted this from the same woman.
http://edition.cnn.com/video/?/video...ormula-one.cnn
I thought she was fine during this piece ...
Old 13 Aug 2013, 19:20 (Ref:3289408)   #8
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
I thought she was fine during this piece ...
I thought so too. She was simply asking questions that a lot of people would have had if they wanted to know how things actually worked.
Old 15 Aug 2013, 14:19 (Ref:3290198)   #9
beardyfinn
Rookie

beardyfinn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't know should I laugh or perform a grade-A facepalm... Probably the latter.
Old 16 Aug 2013, 14:08 (Ref:3290705)   #10
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
They have edited the article because of the inaccuracies. Actually it is not a bad read now - kudos to them for having plenty of Alain Prost quotes.
Old 17 Aug 2013, 11:10 (Ref:3290949)   #11
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
They have edited the article because of the inaccuracies. Actually it is not a bad read now - kudos to them for having plenty of Alain Prost quotes.
Quote:
Editor's note: An earlier version of this article contained a number of inaccuracies, for which we apologise. Christina Macfarlane and Rachel Wood, who prepared the television story, were in no way responsible for those inaccuracies. You can watch their report at the top of this article.
Old 20 Aug 2013, 21:32 (Ref:3292161)   #12
bravo
Racer

England
North East England
bravo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
CNN have had more attempts at that article than an average HRT turning into a corner.

The internet archive only crawled the page on August 13 so we have lost the original article. My question would be - if they did not write it, why were they credited with it?

Here is the version from the 13th. http://web.archive.org/web/201308131...html?hpt=hp_c5

I don't quite understand what the reference to the Goodwood Festival of Speed is doing at the start of the current version of the article, but at least it doesn't mention turbos being powered by steam.
Old 23 Aug 2013, 14:40 (Ref:3293118)   #13
jedrinck
Racer

jedrinck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They should have the lady do a series called "how stuff works"! I always wanted to know how jet engines and submarines work.
Old 23 Aug 2013, 14:47 (Ref:3293120)   #14
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
very strange for a network that sponsor a F1 team

http://cnnpressroom.blogs.cnn.com/20...hip-agreement/
Old 29 Aug 2013, 00:22 (Ref:3295467)   #15
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Following this debacle, how good is anything else CNN does?