Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 24 Aug 2015, 18:50 (Ref:3568351)   #51
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Was much coverage given to Plato's start in R1?
From where we were watching, he seemed to take up the wrong position at the start, then didn't go straight away when the lights went out?
It appeared to put Alex Martin off as he could see Plato not moving.
Also, a couple of laps later he seemed to be weaving in front of Newsham a bit?
Old 24 Aug 2015, 19:20 (Ref:3568364)   #52
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
What was annoying was we were looking at Plato dawdling at the back while the restart happened
Old 24 Aug 2015, 19:22 (Ref:3568366)   #53
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Was much coverage given to Plato's start in R1?
From where we were watching, he seemed to take up the wrong position at the start, then didn't go straight away when the lights went out?
It appeared to put Alex Martin off as he could see Plato not moving.
Also, a couple of laps later he seemed to be weaving in front of Newsham a bit?
Addison and Harvey discussed this prior to the green flag laps, and speculated that he would probably start after the rest of the grid got away to give himself enough room to warm up the tyres and then attempt to set the fastest time. Apparently what he did was not against any rules (well, it is JP after all), but the only danger might have been if he got caught up in any melee in the opening laps.
Old 24 Aug 2015, 19:42 (Ref:3568372)   #54
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Matt Neal though! What a move for the win! I know it was a dive-bomb but it was more calculated than usual and that was fabulous...
Old 24 Aug 2015, 19:48 (Ref:3568377)   #55
BtccLee
Veteran

BtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Conspiracy: Was that race three safety car suspicious, as Harvey pointed out its never been an occurance to replace barriers and the race had been a little tamer to that point?
Old 24 Aug 2015, 19:52 (Ref:3568379)   #56
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BtccLee View Post
Conspiracy: Was that race three safety car suspicious, as Harvey pointed out its never been an occurance to replace barriers and the race had been a little tamer to that point?
I thought there were a few bizarre safety cars, I think in all of the BTCC races, which helped the marshals fix up the odd thing, but weren't absolutely necessary. Classic case of trying to create closer racing.

Although it's not as if Neal didn't have to charge back up to Morgan, helped by the debris though.
Old 24 Aug 2015, 21:14 (Ref:3568398)   #57
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I was surprised they called out the safety car to put the tyres back at the chicane, that was quite a big call.
Old 24 Aug 2015, 21:32 (Ref:3568401)   #58
BtccLee
Veteran

BtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I wonder if the marshals had to drag it back, therefore they were moving unprotected towards the circuit? And the drivers would have taken liberties and brought all the rubbish onto the track?
Old 25 Aug 2015, 07:39 (Ref:3568539)   #59
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BtccLee View Post
I wonder if the marshals had to drag it back, therefore they were moving unprotected towards the circuit? And the drivers would have taken liberties and brought all the rubbish onto the track?
From my point of view, the kerbing solution there needs to be better. I'm not sure when it changed but certainly back in the 90s there were much bigger kerbs on the inside of that chicane, which prevented cutting.
Old 25 Aug 2015, 12:34 (Ref:3568594)   #60
pimmy
Veteran

England
Witney
pimmy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The reason that most circuits no longer have high kerbs is to take bikes into account. I don't see high/saw-tooth kerbs returning.
Old 25 Aug 2015, 18:50 (Ref:3568675)   #61
BtccLee
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits In A Red Bull View Post
I thought there were a few bizarre safety cars, I think in all of the BTCC races, which helped the marshals fix up the odd thing, but weren't absolutely necessary. Classic case of trying to create closer racing.

Although it's not as if Neal didn't have to charge back up to Morgan, helped by the debris though.
To destroy my own theory, I didn't realise the race one safety car after Moffat's spin was to replace that tyre barrier (recorded and fast forwarded through the intervention). You could see drivers in the proceeding laps after it was moved and before the safety car taking a bigger cut of the grass. So it wasn't just a race three decision, I think it was simply a firm line on track limits and avoiding penalties.
Old 25 Aug 2015, 20:46 (Ref:3568699)   #62
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I thought it was cause of debris on the track and took the opportunity to put it back anyway
Old 25 Aug 2015, 21:07 (Ref:3568708)   #63
BtccLee
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I thought it was cause of debris on the track and took the opportunity to put it back anyway

I'm not sure but I think that debris may have been due to a car riding the kerbs without the barrier. I think it may have been mis-leading as that is what the cameras picked up on, marshals seemed to go for barrier first.
Old 27 Aug 2015, 16:56 (Ref:3569199)   #64
BtccLee
Veteran

Was so intrigued by this I enquired to Gow who confirmed on both race one and three safety car periods: "To allow the marshals to safely and quickly put the Rectecel barrier (it wasn't a tyre stack) back in its correct position after it was dislodged....otherwise many cars would have continued to exceed the track limits at that point, no doubt resulting in a lot of penalties and protests against some drivers."