Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 16 Aug 2018, 22:17 (Ref:3844114)   #1351
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
No top-liner would be that keen although they must have offered Ricciardo Alonso-type money.

Sainz would be cheap if uninspiring and I wouldn’t be surprised if he ends up #2 once again on speed.
I’d be surprised to see Vandoorne consistently outpace Sainz. The former has looked pretty unconvincing so far this year. It’s only McLaren’s aversion to hiring a rookie that will save his seat, if, indeed, save it it does.
Old 16 Aug 2018, 22:18 (Ref:3844115)   #1352
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Well McLaren have hired quite a couple of rookies lately. Magnussen, Vandoorne. Don’t be surprised to see them take a chance on Norris
Old 16 Aug 2018, 22:25 (Ref:3844116)   #1353
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
But Zak Brown has explicitly said they need drivers with a bit of experience to improve and develop the car. Doesn’t sound like they’re paving the way for Lando.
Old 17 Aug 2018, 01:31 (Ref:3844126)   #1354
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Vandoorne deserves to stay.

He's had to endure this tricky period just as much as Alonso has. Alonso seems to think he's pretty good too.

I'm pretty sure that given a bit more free reign and a more reliable car he will 'disprove' all the misplaced knocking I keep reading. Lol.

However these days it's more to do with whether your face fits, not necessarily how good you are.
Old 17 Aug 2018, 07:37 (Ref:3844167)   #1355
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
I’m not sure it’s displaced knocking. Yes, the car is a dog, which is why you can only really draw meaningful comparisons with Alonso, who has the same kit; yes, Alonso is a multiple world champion and regarded by many (not me) as the best driver on the grid - a tough nut to crack. But Vandoorne has been touted as the next big thing, cutting a swathe through the junior formulae with panache. Yet he has got nowhere near Alonso’s pace or results, and this year has been beaten in qualifying at every race. For me, for a driver bruited as a future world champion, that’s disappointing, and it’s perfectly legitimate that it should call into question his place at McLaren.
Old 17 Aug 2018, 07:43 (Ref:3844171)   #1356
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Vandoorne was close to Fred in Hungary before his car broke down
Old 17 Aug 2018, 08:45 (Ref:3844190)   #1357
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Vandoorne was close to Fred in Hungary before his car broke down
Well, Vandoorne came close to not driving that car in Hungary. There were negotiations going on behind the scenes to insert Ocon, or even Sainz into Vandoorne's car for Hungary, and for the rest of the 2018 season. Wolff was the main instigator of the negotiations. All because of the news surrounding Force India possibly closing it's doors. But it didn't materialize because Force India entered into administration, instead of the team being wound up.

Old 17 Aug 2018, 09:19 (Ref:3844196)   #1358
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
Well, Vandoorne came close to not driving that car in Hungary. There were negotiations going on behind the scenes to insert Ocon, or even Sainz into Vandoorne's car for Hungary, and for the rest of the 2018 season. Wolff was the main instigator of the negotiations. All because of the news surrounding Force India possibly closing it's doors. But it didn't materialize because Force India entered into administration, instead of the team being wound up.
Hmm, it would be good to see some support to this assertion. Alonso is on record to say that Vandoorne has been as close to him as anyone of his previous team mates and I believe Autosport supported this. So, it wouldn't make sense that Vandoorne is ejected at this time. However by all means prove me wrong with supported stats etc.
Old 17 Aug 2018, 11:20 (Ref:3844219)   #1359
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Fact remains that he’s not beating Alonso. Not even occasionally.
Old 17 Aug 2018, 11:22 (Ref:3844221)   #1360
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
True. But he's also not as bad as some would suggest.
Old 17 Aug 2018, 11:55 (Ref:3844227)   #1361
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Not good enough, given his pre-F1 reputation.
Old 17 Aug 2018, 11:59 (Ref:3844228)   #1362
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
As you wish.
Old 17 Aug 2018, 15:06 (Ref:3844260)   #1363
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
I just think that Vandoorne’s career in the lower formulae suggested he should be doing better than the average job he’s currently doing, which I reckon could be done as well by about half a dozen other young drivers on the grid. It’s not like Häkkinen matching Senna or Hamikton beating Alonso, which would make people sit up and take notice.
Old 17 Aug 2018, 15:12 (Ref:3844261)   #1364
S griffin
Veteran

I think he’s not helped though by not having a great car to drive. I think he’s done alright all things considered
Old 17 Aug 2018, 16:36 (Ref:3844283)   #1365
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I just think we've moved to the PlayStation era where if you can't compete with more experienced players straight away then you're crap.

And to think so called sensible people on here also follow that principle.
Old 17 Aug 2018, 19:53 (Ref:3844350)   #1366
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Changing both drivers at the same time is never a good idea. McLaren should keep Vandoorne.
Old 18 Aug 2018, 02:51 (Ref:3844393)   #1367
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Hmm, it would be good to see some support to this assertion.
I don't have any Peter. If there was, I would post it (as I always do) when there's something on the net that I am aware of.

But then again, even when I have proof to back up my posts, a moderator will not allow/delete it. Not sure what can and can't be posted. Even when others have posted same/similar links.

Last edited by F1Guy; 18 Aug 2018 at 02:57.
Old 18 Aug 2018, 07:24 (Ref:3844413)   #1368
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That’ll be the post you contacted the moderation team to highlight the link might be dodgy as it was sourced from somewhere that might not have permission of the original copyright holder!

It’s good when users report potential copyright infringements to help the volunteer staff. Of course now I full expect you to go off and just report loads of posts, because at the moment you seem to be wanting to cause work and inconvenience for mods of F1 forum. Simple choice. Do you?
Old 20 Aug 2018, 00:34 (Ref:3844868)   #1369
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Anyone think Vandoorne will be confirmed at his home event next week? Or will McLaren continue to watch and wait? I suppose making an announcement at Spa, while fitting, would risk being overshadowed by Max’s orange army.
Old 20 Aug 2018, 18:24 (Ref:3845048)   #1370
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Autosport is now mentioning Ocon in connection with the second McLaren seat. Interesting.
Old 20 Aug 2018, 18:39 (Ref:3845051)   #1371
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
According to Autosport, their reserve driver Lando Norris, will make his Formula 1 grand prix weekend debut.

http://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/138145
Old 20 Aug 2018, 19:28 (Ref:3845064)   #1372
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
According to Autosport, their reserve driver Lando Norris, will make his Formula 1 grand prix weekend debut.

http://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/138145
Thankfully only for FP1 in place of Alonso.... with the possibility of another FP1 run at Monza the following week.
Old 20 Aug 2018, 21:23 (Ref:3845084)   #1373
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Keep knocking Stoffel everyone!!

I'm inclined to think Mclaren maybe giving Norris a run to keep him interested (and perhaps keep STR interested too) because they've told him he won't be in one of the race MP4's next year.
Old 22 Aug 2018, 15:38 (Ref:3845401)   #1374
pole2pole
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Belfast
pole2pole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think McLaren are giving Norris a run out on friday in order to try and keep him. Lets face it and this hurts me as a McLaren fan to ask this but what can McLaren offer team Norris in a car package?
Old 22 Aug 2018, 16:23 (Ref:3845414)   #1375
S griffin
Veteran

I think Norris drive will be to evaluate if he is ready or not