Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 31 Mar 2004, 17:36 (Ref:925465)   #1
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Helio

Used to be Castro Neves, now Castroneves. Which is right, and why the change?
Old 31 Mar 2004, 19:28 (Ref:925570)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
His surname is Castro Neves, without a hyphen.

He allows the Americans to call him Castroneves because they couldn't quite get it.

Reference also - Massimiliano Papis becoming Max and Alessandro Zanardi becoming Alex.
Old 31 Mar 2004, 22:00 (Ref:925718)   #3
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Toranasuke Takagi becoming Tora

im sure theres a few more but I cant think of any just now ????
Old 31 Mar 2004, 23:58 (Ref:925803)   #4
Alex K
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Alex K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
because that minus (-) was 'slowing' him on track -- he told it to Polish Auto Sport few years back
Old 1 Apr 2004, 05:49 (Ref:925989)   #5
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Alex K
because that minus (-) was 'slowing' him on track -- he told it to Polish Auto Sport few years back
His name never had a hyphen in it, apart from those who spelt it wrongly.

So changing it left them with no opportunity to use one.
Old 1 Apr 2004, 19:55 (Ref:926735)   #6
Testure
Veteran

Testure should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Didn't Kenny Bräck change the pronunciation of his name a couple of years ago? I seem to remember that "brak" is an Americanisation of the correct pronunciation of Bräck ("brek?" Perhaps one of our Swedish members can assist.)

I wish people would just learn the correct way to say names. Things like that drive me insane. Worse, many Asian people I know choose silly European/American first names because so many western people won't learn to correctly pronounce their "real" name, which is just dreadful behaviour.

[/RANT]
Old 1 Apr 2004, 20:01 (Ref:926737)   #7
Kicking-back
Veteran

I've always heard Kenny's name pronounced Brek not Brak.
Old 1 Apr 2004, 20:35 (Ref:926770)   #8
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Glad I've been getting Castro Neves right all this time. I had wondered if Castroneves was correct, but I thought I remembered seeing "Castro Neves" on his overalls, and that would be properly written, surely!
Old 1 Apr 2004, 21:10 (Ref:926799)   #9
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Testure
Didn't Kenny Bräck change the pronunciation of his name a couple of years ago? I seem to remember that "brak" is an Americanisation of the correct pronunciation of Bräck ("brek?" Perhaps one of our Swedish members can assist.)

I wish people would just learn the correct way to say names. Things like that drive me insane. Worse, many Asian people I know choose silly European/American first names because so many western people won't learn to correctly pronounce their "real" name, which is just dreadful behaviour.

[/RANT]
Lighten up Testure.

Did you ever think its the drivers that are changing the pronunciation of there names and not the fans or the media? Maybe they feel its better for there image, or it helps them to fit in, who knows.

Personally, I think that Americans can handle pronouncing Brack, as Breck, or Castro Neves, as Castroneves.

Danica Patrick
Old 1 Apr 2004, 21:51 (Ref:926839)   #10
jenna
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
jenna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the umlaut (those two little dots) over the a does change the pronounciation, it's not quite "brek" but that's close. it's hard to explain unless you speak German or something similar...
Old 2 Apr 2004, 00:56 (Ref:926909)   #11
MLM
Veteran

MLM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm a student of languages since high school and yes, I sometimes get picky over pronunciation, grammar etc...
However, I sometimes think it IS laziness on the part of SOME Americans not to try to learn subjects which don't pertain to their particular situation (and Lord knows, this can cover a lot of aspects of life in general...IMHO)

Names like "Kanaan, daMatta, Fittipaldi,Andretti,etc..." are not, IMO, that difficult to say.
No more than "Foyt, Rutherford, Earnhardt, Labonte (the correct French pronounciation, BTW ),Kahne, etc"...
To me, it's just making the effort to TRY and UNDERSTAND the differences in language, culture etc....
That's, BTW, is IMHO
Old 2 Apr 2004, 06:48 (Ref:927061)   #12
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
About Helio, is real surname is Castro-Neves, but he changed into Castroneves in order to delete any reference with Castro, which, we all know , is not very popular in the States.
Old 2 Apr 2004, 08:14 (Ref:927121)   #13
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Trying to explain how ä sounds is quite hard, but if I had to try, I'd say it's like a combination of a and e - so the correct pronunciation of "bräck" isn't "brack" or "breck", but rather... ehh... "braeck", or something

And don't even get me started on our Swedish å and ö..
Old 2 Apr 2004, 21:14 (Ref:927864)   #14
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by rustyfan
Trying to explain how ä sounds is quite hard, but if I had to try, I'd say it's like a combination of a and e - so the correct pronunciation of "bräck" isn't "brack" or "breck", but rather... ehh... "braeck", or something

And don't even get me started on our Swedish å and ö..
Now what would a Swede like you, know about pronouncing Brack anyway!

Hey, how do you get those little dots on top of your letters anyway? You got a special keyboard or something? :confused:

Danica Patrick