Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 2 Dec 2014, 09:55 (Ref:3481011)   #1
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
E-petition: noise from motorsport venues

Not sure if this has appeared elsewhere on 10ths. The wording could be better but the sentiment is clear, so get clicking......

https://submissions.epetitions.direc...etitions/72458

I can't seem to make the link work so you might have to copy & paste. Any clever mods out there?
Old 2 Dec 2014, 10:31 (Ref:3481015)   #2
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This is a stupid petition and does nothing to help deal with the issues of noise pollution caused by motorsport venues.

While in principal potential buyers / tenants should be aware of the fact that there is a motorsport venue close to hand they should not have to sign away any future rights to protest.

Recently there have been cases where people have been living happily with circuits close by for many years and then are vilified online because they complain about the noise. "You bought a house you knew was near a racing track, live with it!" Ok, so why are they suddenly NOW complaining about the noise? The circuit significantly increased the number of operations days.

A great number of circuits work well with their local community / council to co-exist and operate within agreed terms of licensing with regard to numbers of "noisy days", engine curfew times, quiet times for Sunday worship, etc. This is what everyone should be working towards.

The motorsport "community" is great at jumping on members of the public they see as a threat to their sport whenever noise is mentioned, perhaps some of that energy should be directed at circuit owners that decide to significantly increase their noise levels through additional running days.

What would you do if you'd happily lived beside a circuit for 10 years when the circuit ran a few Sunday events a year and then suddenly decided to run test days on every Saturday during the year and have public "track days" every bank holiday, wouldn't you feel you had a right to complain about the noise?
Old 2 Dec 2014, 11:43 (Ref:3481027)   #3
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wouldnt move into the middle of the worlds longest track. So basically, no, I dont think I would have the right-same as the residents who have lived here for many years and NEVER complained, perhaps just another British thing?
Old 2 Dec 2014, 12:21 (Ref:3481038)   #4
gt917
Veteran

United Kingdom
Suffolk
gt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There is already a thread on this subject in the "National and Club Racing Section".
Old 10 Dec 2014, 21:43 (Ref:3483827)   #5
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jonny come Latleys have always been the biggest problem no matter what the issue in any community, move in stick their nose into all activities, change it all, and when it goes t**s up, bu***r off, and leave the long term residents that were quite happy getting on with whatever, prior to oft- commer's intervention, to clear the mess up.
Old 10 Dec 2014, 22:17 (Ref:3483843)   #6
Robyn Slater
Veteran

England
Sudbury Suffolk
Robyn Slater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's something being discussed on radio4 sometime tomorrow on this subject in relation to music venues. (Sorry i didn't catch the exact time or programme)
Old 10 Dec 2014, 23:06 (Ref:3483858)   #7
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Bah humbug I can't stand noisy racing cars or loud rock music !!!!!!
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 11 Dec 2014, 22:47 (Ref:3484230)   #8
Nick JM
Veteran

United Kingdom
South Bucks
Nick JM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm afraid I take umbrage with your argument.

Although I will defend the right for anyone to object to a material change of use on a circuit one must take on board the fact that when the property was acquired the proximity to the circuit was no doubt taken into consideration both in the price and the geography.

With respect to those who live there it is rather like moving to a house on a flight path and then disputing the frequency of aircraft movement during peak times.
Old 12 Dec 2014, 00:05 (Ref:3484245)   #9
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick JM View Post

With respect to those who live there it is rather like moving to a house on a flight path and then disputing the frequency of aircraft movement during peak times.
OK but take someone like me that is now plagued with a new 500mt wide flight path as low as 2000ft over my house with planes landing at Gatwick, I have lived in my village since 1947 before Gatwick was opened in 1958 !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 12 Dec 2014, 08:06 (Ref:3484318)   #10
Nick JM
Veteran

United Kingdom
South Bucks
Nick JM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's exactly my point.

In your case you have had a situation forced upon you in which case you deserve full compensation for loss of value and invasion of quiet enjoyment.

However if I was to buy your house now with full knowledge of the flight path then I should not deserve compensation UNLESS, if, having bought it with knowledge of the existing issues, the frquency of the flights or noise levels increase
Old 12 Dec 2014, 08:58 (Ref:3484326)   #11
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
We haven't just sat back and let it happen ! http://www.planesoverpenshurst.com/
Incidentally I know this is a motorsport forum but it does have parallels.
On the other hand I am a hypocrite as I use Gatwick to fly to Mojacar !
Old 12 Dec 2014, 09:23 (Ref:3484331)   #12
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Whilst I see Nick's point, the problem with this petition is that it would disenfranchise you from ever complaining about anti-social activities at a racing circuit. If you did complain there would have to be sanctions for breaking the law, which I suppose could include fines or the clink. There must be something about that in Magna Carta.

Whilst we all like the sound of a well-tuned 6 or V8, it sounds like the noise suffered by the residents around Mallory at that Chavfest were completely intolerable. From what I've seen so far, it would appear that the noise complaints have resulted in a stronger future for Mallory within the law, rather than sounding its death-knell. A case of complaining actually allowing the community to work together for the greater good. If this law came into being the owners could ride roughshod over the local populace, imagine dance music/race meetings on a regular basis?

Well-meaning intentions often make bad law because no-one ever looks at the flip side.
Old 12 Dec 2014, 09:25 (Ref:3484332)   #13
Robyn Slater
Veteran

England
Sudbury Suffolk
Robyn Slater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
We haven't just sat back and let it happen ! http://www.planesoverpenshurst.com/
Incidentally I know this is a motorsport forum but it does have parallels.
On the other hand I am a hypocrite as I use Gatwick to fly to Mojacar !
That last sentence is the key to all these issues.

I have a similar situation where i live under one of the Stanstead flight paths.I cant really complain as i occasionally fly abroad.

I often wonder how Greenpeace row their boats around the world's oceans
so efficiently.

Also, how the people who oppose fracking are going to keep warm for the next 50 years!!!
Old 12 Dec 2014, 09:25 (Ref:3484333)   #14
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
WHAT DID YOU SAY?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Bah humbug I can't stand noisy racing cars or loud rock music !!!!!!
Old 12 Dec 2014, 12:45 (Ref:3484378)   #15
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Speak up Gordon, Joe is a little deaf after all those loud engines and rock music :-)