Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 12 Aug 2020, 21:03 (Ref:3995043)   #301
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasportscar View Post
Look for some of these to be implemented and others to at least be reconsidered for 2021

Fingers crossed!
Old 13 Aug 2020, 18:21 (Ref:3995260)   #302
W2Motorsport
Racer

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
W2Motorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcarr6 View Post
I’ve honestly found GTWC America this year incredibly dull.

Grid size on big circuits becomes so noticeable.

22 cars at Oulton Park in British GT is enough at a tight little circuit and multi class helps too.

But single digit GT3 cars going for 90 mins, just becomes tedious.

I hate to sound so down on the series, I remember doing St Pete’s back when it was PWC with the always elvolving nissans (what year was that?), and the series was fantastic then. Where did it all fizzle out?

I still think merging GT4 sprint with GT3/GT2, knocking back to 50-60 min races, allow single drivers or double driver pairings, no full pro, pit stop for driver change, maybe wheels, and you’d be onto something. Covid area grids would be around 20, which is light enough to allow space for GT3s to pass GT4 traffic without crashing everytime. Feels so logical?
I really don't understand how or why there has ever been push back from the teams on combining the grids. British GT and GTWC Asia both have mixed GT3/GT4 grids with pro/am and am line ups and they tend to have good racing. Hell the 24H series runs mixed grids with GT3/GT4/TCR and stuff even slower than that without issue. For GT4 teams being on the grid with GT3 would give them additional exposure which should help with sponsorship, and the same can be said of GT3 as I'm sure viewership suffers when the car count is in single digits. 10 GT3 cars by themselves is sad, 30 cars with 10 GT3s and 20 GT4s is an excellent grid.

JMO.
Old 14 Aug 2020, 00:08 (Ref:3995304)   #303
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2Motorsport View Post
I really don't understand how or why there has ever been push back from the teams on combining the grids. British GT and GTWC Asia both have mixed GT3/GT4 grids with pro/am and am line ups and they tend to have good racing. Hell the 24H series runs mixed grids with GT3/GT4/TCR and stuff even slower than that without issue. For GT4 teams being on the grid with GT3 would give them additional exposure which should help with sponsorship, and the same can be said of GT3 as I'm sure viewership suffers when the car count is in single digits. 10 GT3 cars by themselves is sad, 30 cars with 10 GT3s and 20 GT4s is an excellent grid.

JMO.
I'm with you on this, The predecessor to this series used to have giant grids and that made for great racing because you had to mix it up with traffic if you were one of the top class. Having 100 cars on a race weekend is great, but if that's broken down into 10 races it's not as great. A tuning car race and a GT race would be plenty good for the series. Sure you can still break it up into different sub classes for trophies but just keep the cars on the track together.
Old 25 Aug 2020, 21:54 (Ref:3997947)   #304
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any updates on Jones' crash?
https://sportscar365.com/imsa/impc/j...-vir-accident/

Can't believe he ended up in a forest?
Old 25 Aug 2020, 22:20 (Ref:3997950)   #305
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It's not very far back to the tree line there but makes you wonder what happened with the barrier. Wonder if all the rain messed with the position and angle of the barriers to get him airborne? It's a long run off across grass being you get to the wall and trees just beyond that by only feet. But that was an IMSA event.

Panoz returning to the track for Road America this weekend. Wish IMSA would let them run an event at Road Atlanta but doubt it after the comments they've made in the past.
Old 25 Aug 2020, 23:32 (Ref:3997964)   #306
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Barriers look inadequate.
https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=36.5...hl=en&t=h&z=15

Seems a bit similar to Lime Rock 2016, Pirelli World Challenge, Andrew Palmer crash. Wonder how he is?
Old 28 Aug 2020, 00:29 (Ref:3998419)   #307
cbbrit
Veteran

Jersey
Sonoma, California
cbbrit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcbbrit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
More here re-the return of Team Panoz Racing:

https://sportscar365.com/sro/sro-ame...der-of-season/
Old 29 Aug 2020, 05:05 (Ref:3998588)   #308
cbbrit
Veteran

Jersey
Sonoma, California
cbbrit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcbbrit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Road America Weekend Notebook:

https://sportscar365.com/sro/sro-ame...nd-notebook-3/
Old 3 Sep 2020, 13:30 (Ref:3999817)   #309
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Indy 8hr entry list expected later today, all arrows point towards a massively underwhelming grid...

Gruppe M just confirmed no more IGTC for 2020, and no pro Mercedes is expected at Indy

The Bentley announced yesterday Is good news though

I’m hopeful the compass 720s Gt3 plan materialises
Old 3 Sep 2020, 15:12 (Ref:3999837)   #310
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It looks underwhelmimg at 22 cars. 6 GT3s, 5 ProAm, 1 Am and 1 TBC. 9 GT4s. Honestly I don't watch often and just catch video highlights after now. The car counts aren't the thing, it's the makeup. I miss the old run whatever and build your million dollar mustang if you want, you'll get ballast and regs but have fun. That's missing and I get that era is over, even in TransAm.
Old 3 Sep 2020, 17:11 (Ref:3999870)   #311
W2Motorsport
Racer

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
W2Motorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
It looks underwhelmimg at 22 cars. 6 GT3s, 5 ProAm, 1 Am and 1 TBC. 9 GT4s. Honestly I don't watch often and just catch video highlights after now. The car counts aren't the thing, it's the makeup. I miss the old run whatever and build your million dollar mustang if you want, you'll get ballast and regs but have fun. That's missing and I get that era is over, even in TransAm.
Its a combination of the car counts and lack of full pro for me. I used to somewhat follow it when they had full pro, even with low car counts. Now its pro/am still with low car counts and its lost all of its attention from me. I do watch GT4 and TCR races from the weekends though. If they combined GT3/GT4 I'll watch again assuming 20+ grids similar to British GT which is usually interesting.

As far as the Indy 8 Hours. I had actually been planning to attend this from PA. With this grid I'm now looking into attending an IMSA race instead (Maybe Petit Le Mans, or the GT race at Charlotte). I'm a big Mercedes fan and was hoping for at least one full pro (Engel and Stolz are racing with ADAC that weekend, but most of the factory drivers should of been available).
Old 3 Sep 2020, 18:58 (Ref:3999891)   #312
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
I'll be at Petit, so far it's gates open as usual. You'll see us but, yes the wife will make me say, say hi from outside the canopy if you stop by.
Old 4 Oct 2020, 15:21 (Ref:4008529)   #313
WyldStallion
Veteran

WyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm typing this during the 2nd hour of the race. Rain races are more interesting with prototypes I think. Not so much for GT cars..unless they are mixed with the protos.

First 20 minutes of the Indy 8 was interesting with the rain/pit strategy. SunEnergy Mercedes 'won' that round...until the safety car came out. Been under yellow more ever since.

But Acura/Honda has never won an ICGT race I think. So cheering for them just for that. Also want to see the Hardpoint Audi do well too.
Old 4 Oct 2020, 16:24 (Ref:4008543)   #314
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Slicks look necessary now but a handful. Multiple wet tires blowing.

And a Bentley failure in the rear corner and damn

CBS Sports has the race live this afternoon until 2 EDT