Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 5 May 2003, 20:45 (Ref:590322)   #1
Madd_Dogg88
Racer

Madd_Dogg88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Poor old Tom Chilton

I've heard a little about Chilton's roll, but not that much. It obviously must have been bad to stop him from racing on Monday. Any way, can anyone fill me in on exactly what happened? Also, if anyone has any pics so i can inspect the damage, they would be appreciated. Thanx
Old 5 May 2003, 21:14 (Ref:590360)   #2
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Early on in the qualifying session - around 5 laps in I reckon? - Paul O'Neil drifted wide and was caught in the gravel on the outside of Paddock Hill. With Paul safely retrieved from the car the session continued.

Later in the session Tom did the exact same thing but, with Paul's car in his way in the gravel, he seemed to try and spin the car to avoid a collision. Unfortunately, although he succesfully avoided the Astra, his car suddenly got traction as it crossed the tarmac and he was sent sliding backwards across the track with the nearside rear quarter making heavy contact with the wall on the infield. The car then pitched up onto its side where it came to a rest.

Tom was removed from the wrecked car relatively unscathed but the car was immediately deemed unable to race and was loaded straight into the race transporter. Tom was back at the circuit today looking relaxed and rather relieved it wasn't a much worse accident.
Old 6 May 2003, 11:19 (Ref:590811)   #3
Jonny Apex
Veteran

Jonny Apex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Craig Antill
Tom was removed from the wrecked car relatively unscathed but the car was immediately deemed unable to race and was loaded straight into the race transporter. Tom was back at the circuit today looking relaxed and rather relieved it wasn't a much worse accident.
Not absolutely the case: the team had a very good look at that car before deciding to give up on it. It was very important to have all three cars on the grid if possible, particularly with the teams and manufacturers' titles in mind.

Tom did later shoulder the blame for the crash, which was very professional. Gutted, yes, but no whingeing ...

The worry is that the engine may have been damaged in the impact and that could cost Honda part of their 'free' engine allocation before they get to over four and are docked points.
Old 6 May 2003, 11:32 (Ref:590826)   #4
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I spoke to a couple of team members on Sunday, shortly after the accident and they told me he would not be racing on Monday. It was a horrific accident and could easily have resulted in serious injury, surely a testament to the build quality and safety standards of todays cars.
Old 6 May 2003, 11:54 (Ref:590846)   #5
maplex
Rookie

maplex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.toca-tour.net/gallery/200...lton_Wreck.jpg
Old 6 May 2003, 15:46 (Ref:591134)   #6
touringcarnut
Veteran

India
Hyderabad, India
touringcarnut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what is it and hondas and rolling?? Thommos incident a few years ago comes to mind.

Glad he's perfectly okay, just unlucky i guess!
Old 6 May 2003, 15:51 (Ref:591139)   #7
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't they have a spare car or was it not ready yet?
Old 6 May 2003, 15:53 (Ref:591142)   #8
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
You're not allowed a spare car in the BTCC - the car which was scrutineered on Friday was the only car which would have been allowed to race.
Old 6 May 2003, 17:20 (Ref:591246)   #9
lauz
Rookie

Scotland
scotland
lauz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i saw the accident and im not surprised tom wasn't racing on monday. the car was really badly damaged when i saw it. im just glad that tom is alright.
Old 6 May 2003, 18:56 (Ref:591359)   #10
McKay
Racer

McKay has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
its a relief he wasnt hurt. looks preety nastY! and could i just say thompson didnt roll in his honda. just stuffed high up on the tyres.
Old 6 May 2003, 19:28 (Ref:591399)   #11
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I was the first marshal on the scene and the second one to the driver. The car had vaulted the tyre wall and the Armco and if it wasn't for the new CART catch fencing the car would have ended up wrapped around a tree. Tom was slightly shaken and alert when we got to him although he was having problems as he'd undone his belt and was falling out his seat!! We took c-spine however Tom wanted to get out the car so we attempted to do this in a controlled manner until the TOCA medical car arrived and went for their standard extrication method.

Last edited by MagnetON; 6 May 2003 at 19:29.
Old 6 May 2003, 20:07 (Ref:591468)   #12
racingdick
Veteran

racingdick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
maybe he should take a drivers skid pan course and learn to drive... oo arn't i controversial!!
Old 6 May 2003, 20:14 (Ref:591483)   #13
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
I'd like to see you do better
Old 6 May 2003, 20:17 (Ref:591495)   #14
Lorna
Veteran

Lorna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not scared easily but the pace he was arriving at the tyre wall side-ways was very scarey. Like MagnetOn said; The new catch fencing saved Tom from a more horrendous accident.
Old 6 May 2003, 20:21 (Ref:591504)   #15
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
I'm with RS on this one - Paddock hill is a difficult corner to negotiate at the best of times. Tom's line through it had appeared to me, and the other marshals on my post, as one that might potentially lead to issues later - but he was far from the only one. I can think of at least 3 other incidents at the weekend that could very easily have resulted in the same or worse. Driving skill obviously has a lot to do with it, but so does pure dumb luck - and in this case, he was simply the unlucky one.

Last edited by EvilPumpkin; 6 May 2003 at 20:22.
Old 6 May 2003, 20:47 (Ref:591545)   #16
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It was one very big accident, I was also on Paddock Hill and it looky very scarey.
Old 6 May 2003, 20:55 (Ref:591555)   #17
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I've read some suggestions that Chilton, instead of flooring it was you do in a FWD car, stamped on the brakes like most peoples natural reaction would be..can anybody confirm this as surely he's learnt thats the first no no by now?
Old 6 May 2003, 21:15 (Ref:591581)   #18
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
If he had braked the car would have swapped ends very quickly.

Paul O'Neil had already spun into the gravel and was a little surprised the session wasn't stopped then. Paul was out ok but it's unusual to leave a car in the Paddock gravel as it's all too easy for another to hit it. BTW Paul had only completed 3 flying laps yet still managed to set the 4th fastest time.

Anyhow, Tom came round Paddock and started to lose the back-end. Just when I thought he had caught it the car reached the bottom of the dip which caused the suspension to compress and the tyres to suddenly get grip. When that happens the car gets spat out in whatever direction it is pointing. When the car hit the curbs it was launched upwards and hit the tyre-wall almost underside first.

It was virtually the same accident as Jason Coffin had in the Clio Cup last year with pretty much the same effect, although he hit the barrier at a slightly better angle.
Old 6 May 2003, 21:26 (Ref:591596)   #19
racingdick
Veteran

racingdick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by redshoes
I'd like to see you do better
i wouldn't have braked....
Old 6 May 2003, 21:42 (Ref:591630)   #20
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We spoke to Tom on Monday - he gave us a 'RickP' type of wheel by wheel account (needs a little bit more practice with the arm crossing etc) - got us in stitches saying how he undid the harness thinking he was in the normal position. He ended up bracing himself in the car by one arm because one leg was caught between the steering wheel and gear stick. He was smiling all the way through the story...
Old 7 May 2003, 07:37 (Ref:591996)   #21
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Redshoes...I was one of the Observers on Post 4A when Paul came off. The car was (in our opinion) far enough into the gravel trap not to be a danger to other cars. Race control were happy to continue with the Vauxhall where it was. The car was virtually up against the armco/tyre wall so there was little danger of it being hit again.
Old 7 May 2003, 11:04 (Ref:592216)   #22
SPOONERBORO
Veteran

United Kingdom
UK
SPOONERBORO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
he is driving like a complete muppet this season it has to be said, i think it boils down to having the pressure of representing a works outfit as large as Honda and having to reasonably quick team mates ( although one is a big oaf) but i think he would of been better perhaps having a year in production or another independant year to learn more of touring cars. Theres no doubt the boy does have some skill and dad some money lets hope does the business as he may get into a Pizzonia situation!!

Let me see Mondello Crashed in practice, spun and crashed in races, crashed in brands practice, rolled in qualifying. come on tom sort it out
Old 7 May 2003, 12:23 (Ref:592308)   #23
redshoes
Veteran

Stephen, saw Paul go off but didn't see where he stopped until the car was already being dragged out by the wrecker. If he was that far off-track then fair enough.
Old 7 May 2003, 14:02 (Ref:592401)   #24
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Green
It was a horrific accident and could easily have resulted in serious injury, surely a testament to the build quality and safety standards of todays cars.
Modern racing cars (and rally cars) are really tough beasts nowadays - it's quite incredible really.
Old 7 May 2003, 17:35 (Ref:592610)   #25
Jonny Apex
Veteran

Jonny Apex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by SPOONERBORO
Let me see Mondello Crashed in practice, spun and crashed in races, crashed in brands practice, rolled in qualifying. come on tom sort it out
... and finished 3rd in appalling conditions in race 2 at mondello, the top honda, just a few seconds behind thompson and muller and ahead of O'Neill, who, afterwards, said how well he had driven ...
... i would say that, potentially, he has got the raw speed required, but he's on a steep learning curve aged just 18. the pressure must be substantial. he needs to be given more time to learn how to operate at this level ...