Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 10 Aug 2020, 16:47 (Ref:3994578)   #1021
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Well i get a flu jab every year, and it only reduces the risk, it does not mesn you can not get flu.
Old 10 Aug 2020, 16:51 (Ref:3994581)   #1022
dwh43scale
Racer

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Given today's news and even though I had already decided we weren't going, I hereby declare my run of attendance from 1996 as remaining unbroken into 2021 !
Old 11 Aug 2020, 10:25 (Ref:3994718)   #1023
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new lap record!S griffin is going for a new lap record!S griffin is going for a new lap record!S griffin is going for a new lap record!S griffin is going for a new lap record!S griffin is going for a new lap record!
If the weather's nice, you should watch it in the garden, with a big screen TV, a nice paddling pool and a few beers
Old 11 Aug 2020, 10:49 (Ref:3994726)   #1024
Aysedasi
Oh well.....
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Sounds like the best available plan!
Old 11 Aug 2020, 17:54 (Ref:3994811)   #1025
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Well i think we will all have to adjust to watching the racing from afar, how we do that will vary but i know i will trying to keep a few traditions going, and do what i can to enjoy the weekend even though i am gutted i can not be there.
Old 11 Aug 2020, 18:17 (Ref:3994816)   #1026
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Just been looking at another le mans site(still look but will never post there again) and there local guru is saying the ACO is having serious problems with marshals and if France continues to see rising cases of covid, then if not enough marshals then the race may be in trouble. Eric have you heard anything?
Old 11 Aug 2020, 20:52 (Ref:3994843)   #1027
Aysedasi
Oh well.....
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Particularly (as I understand it) as 'foreign' marshals have been released...

So there's another local guru other than Eric?
Old 11 Aug 2020, 21:00 (Ref:3994846)   #1028
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
If he is correct then the lack of qualified marshals is very much a problem
Old Yesterday, 07:40 (Ref:3994895)   #1029
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new lap record!S griffin is going for a new lap record!S griffin is going for a new lap record!S griffin is going for a new lap record!S griffin is going for a new lap record!S griffin is going for a new lap record!
Really hope that this problem is sorted in due course, but things really need to pick up there
Old Yesterday, 08:15 (Ref:3994897)   #1030
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It sounds like they are trying to keep the number of marshals to a minimum rather than having trouble finding people (I can't see there being a shortage even if it is being limited to French residents - I'm sure attending every year is as much a tradition to the marshalling fraternity as it us spectators)

Edit to add: as has been the case at UK club meetings with limited marshals, any incident beyond the most simple issue causes safety cars and red flags, so expect the 24hrs to be similarly impacted.
Old Yesterday, 09:43 (Ref:3994907)   #1031
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Part of the problem could be that marshals are also required for the tour de france, and the date is not helpful to french marshals, the fact that some post have seen a drop in numbers confirmed down to almost zero. The volume of marshals required for the 13km of track is not small ~(several thousand i think)
Old Yesterday, 10:42 (Ref:3994924)   #1032
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
Part of the problem could be that marshals are also required for the tour de france, and the date is not helpful to french marshals, the fact that some post have seen a drop in numbers confirmed down to almost zero. The volume of marshals required for the 13km of track is not small ~(several thousand i think)
This really depends on the type of marshals we are talking about.
Track marshals (like myself, although not a Le Mans) is trained and licensed people and not "simple" volunteers.
I have a hard time seeing how their training is relevant for a bike race, so only if they have a higher passion for the bike race, then their focus will change.

If we are talking track marshals, then I am not surprised that this is becoming an issue. Quite a lot of marshal posts are fully or partially staffed by international marshals. The high level of the 24h of Le Mans also dictates that the marshals signing up carries a higher level of training and a decent amount of experience to be eligible.
With a general issue in motorsport of getting new volunteers and the old, quite frankly, dying off. I could see that ACO will have difficulties getting enough track marshals from France alone with a sufficient licens level and experience.