Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 22 Dec 2020, 13:07 (Ref:4024555)   #1
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Autosport's top 50 racecar drivers of 2020

https://www.autosport.com/top-50-drivers-of-2020

My opinion:
  • There's too many F1 drivers. Russell, Raikkonen and Kvyat don't deserve to be there.
  • Nyck de Vries doesn't deserve to be there.
  • Carlos Sainz Sr and at least one Argentine driver deserve to be there.
  • Newgarden in front of Dixon? Cassidy and Hirakawa, but not Naoki Yamamoto? Gasly 4th and Pérez 11th?
Old 23 Dec 2020, 12:24 (Ref:4024742)   #2
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I don’t agree Russell shouldn’t be there, he did enough to be included for outperforming the Williams alone. Newgarden ahead of Dixon is a matter of opinion. However I do agree that despite having a better season than last year Gasly is too high
Old 24 Dec 2020, 14:08 (Ref:4025053)   #3
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Russell scored no points with Williams, how can he be a top 50 of the world?
Old 24 Dec 2020, 15:31 (Ref:4025074)   #4
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Russell scored no points with Williams, how can he be a top 50 of the world?

Was 97 the last time you watched F1? Williams are a long way from the force they once was. You only need to see his team mates performance against to see how well Russell did
Old 26 Dec 2020, 22:41 (Ref:4025329)   #5
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
He's a very good driver of course, but his results are simply not enough for a top 50 drivers of the season.
Old 26 Dec 2020, 23:15 (Ref:4025337)   #6
S griffin
Veteran

Results aren’t that important, it’s how well you do with your equipment that decides whether you get into a top ten or not. Let’s face his 9th place at Sakhir in a Merc isn’t an indication of how well he’s did in that car
Old 27 Dec 2020, 08:52 (Ref:4025373)   #7
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I don’t agree Russell shouldn’t be there, he did enough to be included for outperforming the Williams
I find this bizarre. Russell may turn out to be the second coming but there is no evidence at all he ‘outperformed’ the car. There is literally absolutely nothing to compare to.
Old 27 Dec 2020, 11:28 (Ref:4025394)   #8
S griffin
Veteran

His team mate perhaps? And the fact he was often qualifying in the midfield? For me, this past season and 2019 he has given it his all
Old 27 Dec 2020, 11:50 (Ref:4025396)   #9
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
I find this bizarre. Russell may turn out to be the second coming but there is no evidence at all he ‘outperformed’ the car. There is literally absolutely nothing to compare to.
Well, either he is getting the max out of it, or, contrary to Pete's view, Latifi is pretty awful....
Old 27 Dec 2020, 12:00 (Ref:4025399)   #10
S griffin
Veteran

I don’t think Latifi is that bad, but I think Sakhir confirmed Russell is the real deal
Old 27 Dec 2020, 12:17 (Ref:4025401)   #11
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
His team mate perhaps? And the fact he was often qualifying in the midfield? For me, this past season and 2019 he has given it his all
His teammate is awful. A lot have been surprised how close they’ve been and are unsure whether to give Nicky credit or feel negative about George. Probably somewhere between the two.
Old 27 Dec 2020, 12:33 (Ref:4025402)   #12
S griffin
Veteran

I’ll say it again. His team mate is not that bad. There have been far worse in F1 (hello Jean-Denis Deletraz), but Russell still outperformed him pretty much every weekend.
Old 27 Dec 2020, 12:40 (Ref:4025403)   #13
peebee2
Veteran

You are very simplistic. I know how good a racing driver Latifi is. Nowhere near F1 material as anybody in the paddock could tell you.

My opinion is based on years of seeing him race first hand. Not the TV and certainly not the internet.
Old 27 Dec 2020, 14:16 (Ref:4025412)   #14
BTCC frog
Veteran

BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!
This is the top fifty:
1. Lewis Hamilton
2. Max Verstappen
3. Antonio Felix Da Costa
4. Pierre Gasly
5. Charles Leclerc
6. Josef Newgarden
7. Daniel Ricciardo
8. Scott Dixon
9. Sebastien Ogier
10. Rene Rast
11. Sergio Perez
12. Valtteri Bottas
13. Scott McLaughlin
14. Kevin Harvick
15. George Russell
16. Sebastien Buemi
17. Mike Conway
18. Carlos Sainz
19. Lando Norris
20. Mitch Evans
21. Nico Muller
22. Colton Herta
23. Thierry Neuville
24. Denny Hamlin
25. Mick Schumacher
26. Stoffel Vandoorne
27. Yuki Tsunoda
28. Chase Elliott
29. Elfyn Evans
30. Will Power
31. Callum Ilott
32. Nyck De Vries
33. Ryo Hirakawa
34. Patricio O'Ward
35. Jean-Eric Vergne
36. Filipe Alburquerque
37. Daniil Kvyat
38. Nick Cassidy
39. Kimi Raikkonen
40. Cam Waters
41. Ott Tanak
42. Dane Cameron
43. Oscar Piastri
44. Yann Ehrlacher
45. Ash Sutton
46. Theo Pourchaire
47. Shane van Gisbergen
48. Raffaele Marciello
49. Johan Kristoffersen
50. Nick Tandy
Old 27 Dec 2020, 14:32 (Ref:4025413)   #15
BTCC frog
Veteran

BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!
Some edits I would make:

1. Touring car drivers should be higher. To make an overtake in the BTCC, in particular, takes more skill than any other series, as it often takes multiple corners. I would have Ash Sutton in the top 20, and Turkington, Cammish, Ingram and Butcher would also make my top 50.

2. NASCAR drivers should be lower. I don't particularly like NASCAR, as it seems like the majority of the race means almost nothing, and it is all about the last few laps, and the chase is a ridiculous scoring system. However, I have seen a few NASCAR races, and I don't think it requires anywhere near as much skill as any other motorsport series.

3. For the F1 drivers, I would have Ricciardo and Perez above Gasly and Leclerc (although these four are very close), and I would also have Sainz and Norris above Russell and Bottas. I agree with the number of F1 drivers on the list, though, because it is the biggest motorsport and, in theory, should contain the best drivers in the world.

4. For the Formula e drivers, I actually agree with Da Costa in third, as he dominated the championship in a way never seen before in Formula e, and the cars are quite similar. However, Vergne should definitely not be in the top 50, as he was dominated by his teammate and failed to finish second in the fastest car. I also think Vandoorne and De Vries should be lower, as I believe the Mercedes was probably closer to the Techeetah in terms of speed, although a lack of teammates for either driver in their careers (Paffett last year was a rookie), means it is hard to know. Buemi and Evans deserve their high ratings, in my opinion.
Old 27 Dec 2020, 14:33 (Ref:4025414)   #16
BTCC frog
Veteran

Also, Tsunoda should be above Mick Schumacher.
Old 27 Dec 2020, 14:56 (Ref:4025417)   #17
peebee2
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCC frog View Post
Some edits I would make:

1. Touring car drivers should be higher. To make an overtake in the BTCC, in particular, takes more skill than any other series, as it often takes multiple corners. I would have Ash Sutton in the top 20, and Turkington, Cammish, Ingram and Butcher would also make my top 50.
You make some good points but this is a world drivers list.

Don’t confuse it with a local championship semi-pro/amateur drivers list.

And I think you’re reaching about the BTCC being the hardest series in the world to overtake in!

Last edited by peebee2; 27 Dec 2020 at 15:04.
Old 28 Dec 2020, 10:20 (Ref:4025492)   #18
S griffin
Veteran

It just shows how hard it is to compare drivers in different series, even if some are undoubtedly more competitive than others
Old 28 Dec 2020, 16:15 (Ref:4025518)   #19
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
There's too many F1 drivers.
There always are. Don't get Gasly that high, lucked out one weekend.
If you're going to include Russell for one great weekend in a Merc and outperforming his team mate the rest of the year, then I'm not sure why Bottas is both in and above him, having not really done either.

Will Power? Has had some good weekends but he's been all over the shop on occasions. If you're going to include him, then you should throw in Sato who did at least win the 500.
Old 28 Dec 2020, 16:58 (Ref:4025522)   #20
S griffin
Veteran

While I agree that Gasly got lucky at Monza, his performances have been up this season, but ahead of Leclerc, Ricciardo and Perez? Don't think so

And now you mention it, I think Sato deserved to be in there