Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 30 Aug 2020, 21:39 (Ref:3999120)   #26
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The first FCY as Sato brushes the wall, with 4 laps left.
Old 30 Aug 2020, 21:43 (Ref:3999121)   #27
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It finishes under yellow. If they red flagged it and restarted, I doubt the track positions would have been different.

Congrats to Newgarden and Penske. Excellent drive from O'Ward.
Old 30 Aug 2020, 21:45 (Ref:3999122)   #28
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
The first FCY as Sato brushes the wall, with 4 laps left.
Was there any debris? my initial reaction is it should have stayed green!
Old 30 Aug 2020, 21:48 (Ref:3999123)   #29
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
Was there any debris? my initial reaction is it should have stayed green!
I didn't see any and was quite surprised to see the yellow. It should have stayed green.
Old 30 Aug 2020, 21:49 (Ref:3999124)   #30
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I didn't see any and was quite surprised to see the yellow. It should have stayed green.
A very reactionary yellow which I get at speedways and I don't think Oward had anything for Josef, but still!

Edit showing the replay of the race off pit road which was the race!!

Good race. Don't really like the way it ended but was enjoyable
Old 30 Aug 2020, 21:54 (Ref:3999126)   #31
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Decent race, but IndyCar definitely needs to look at the short oval aero. The aero wash was so bad it felt like watching a Formula 1 race.
Old 30 Aug 2020, 22:04 (Ref:3999127)   #32
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyfan View Post
Decent race, but IndyCar definitely needs to look at the short oval aero. The aero wash was so bad it felt like watching a Formula 1 race.
Agree with your overall sentiment but I actually watched an F1 race today, my first of the year; leave it to F1 to make Spa kinda boring

But for years I've been saying it; aero on ovals takes tends to take a lot out of of them.
Old 30 Aug 2020, 22:12 (Ref:3999128)   #33
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Agree with your overall sentiment but I actually watched an F1 race today, my first of the year; leave it to F1 to make Spa kinda boring

But for years I've been saying it; aero on ovals takes tends to take a lot out of of them.
Maybe something that's more like a speedway configuration because what they use on the short ovals, like today, is more like a road coarse configuration.
Old 31 Aug 2020, 03:31 (Ref:3999142)   #34
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Maybe something that's more like a speedway configuration because what they use on the short ovals, like today, is more like a road coarse configuration.
There were aero complaints at Texas (from viewers and drivers alike); pretty sure they weren't using a road course configuration there. Granted, at the speeds they're reaching at GATEWAY, you need aero and will have a bunch of aero wash regardless, but it's frustrating to me and drivers that once you get close to another driver, you lose all sorts of advantage. It's the same for everyone on track but it would be nice to have a bit more closing speed and overtaking. I don't think there would be much disagreement from anyone but how to make that happen is more complicated than I can imagine
Old 31 Aug 2020, 12:01 (Ref:3999218)   #35
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
There were aero complaints at Texas (from viewers and drivers alike); pretty sure they weren't using a road course configuration there. Granted, at the speeds they're reaching at GATEWAY, you need aero and will have a bunch of aero wash regardless, but it's frustrating to me and drivers that once you get close to another driver, you lose all sorts of advantage. It's the same for everyone on track but it would be nice to have a bit more closing speed and overtaking. I don't think there would be much disagreement from anyone but how to make that happen is more complicated than I can imagine
They were using the Superspeedway configuration at Texas and it was the first time the Aeroscreen had been used in a race and on an oval. That will have made a difference to the car's aero and something that would have been relatively unknown, as this was the first time in race conditions.

Most of the car's downforce is produced by the car's floor and with the Superspeedway configuration, that's even more so, with the front and rear wings being much smaller and therefore the car produces less wake, allowing the following car to get closer. At Gateway they were using the short oval configuration, which will produce more wake as it uses larger wings.
Old 31 Aug 2020, 12:20 (Ref:3999221)   #36
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I got to watch both races and enjoyed the racing all around. O'Ward is my favorite driver so I was pretty disappointed he didn't get his first win, but he did lead significant portions of both races and solidified his position in the championship. Pretty funny that he finished 3rd and 2nd and didn't improve his position because in each race he was beaten by one of the two drivers ahead of him in the standings!

I didn't have a problem with the amount of overtaking, people could pass at times, especially restarts.

In race 1, the speed of Sato and Dixon at the end was pretty amazing, they just pulled away from the field.
Old 31 Aug 2020, 12:37 (Ref:3999224)   #37
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
They were using the Superspeedway configuration at Texas and it was the first time the Aeroscreen had been used in a race and on an oval. That will have made a difference to the car's aero and something that would have been relatively unknown, as this was the first time in race conditions.

Most of the car's downforce is produced by the car's floor and with the Superspeedway configuration, that's even more so, with the front and rear wings being much smaller and therefore the car produces less wake, allowing the following car to get closer. At Gateway they were using the short oval configuration, which will produce more wake as it uses larger wings.
So it still plays a significant roll and I think it can be improved, that's all.
Old 31 Aug 2020, 12:57 (Ref:3999226)   #38
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
So it still plays a significant roll and I think it can be improved, that's all.
Absolutely, especially now with the Aeroscreen.
Old 31 Aug 2020, 13:26 (Ref:3999232)   #39
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyfan View Post
You mean superspeedway wings? IIRC cars at Gateway had the same wings as at Iowa.
Old 31 Aug 2020, 13:46 (Ref:3999237)   #40
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
You mean superspeedway wings? IIRC cars at Gateway had the same wings as at Iowa.
Texas was Superspeedway configuration and Gateway short oval.

Texas 2020
https://youtu.be/tZ5PRpNwOHo

Gateway 2020
https://youtu.be/fOmmz0pRP-c
Old 31 Aug 2020, 14:54 (Ref:3999245)   #41
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Result:

That was a much better race for Penske and Chevrolet, with Newgarden winning and Power third and Chevrolet taking the first four positions. Newgarden is now 96 points behind Dixon.

The next scheduled race is Race 1 of the IndyCar Harvest GP, on October 2, though the Mid-Ohio double header might go ahead on September 11-13, so it's a little bit up in the air, as far as the Driver's Championship is concerned.
Attached Thumbnails
indycar-race-results-1.jpg  
Old 4 Sep 2020, 03:48 (Ref:3999946)   #42
mstets
Racer

mstets should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I generally pull for the Americans over anybody else but come on Pat O !!!

Last time I checked, Mexico was in North America, so I think Pato qualifies.
Old 4 Sep 2020, 03:54 (Ref:3999947)   #43
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstets View Post
Last time I checked, Mexico was in North America, so I think Pato qualifies.
Stuff your semantics
Old 4 Sep 2020, 03:58 (Ref:3999949)   #44
mstets
Racer

mstets should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

I was watching live timing and scoring during the race. Rahal was running around at the back of the field and was often turning laps 1-2 mph faster than the leaders, but I think he only passed two cars the whole race. Perhaps we need an aero package for each track. I'm sure that idea will be welcomed by all the team owners...
Old 4 Sep 2020, 04:15 (Ref:3999950)   #45
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
I was watching live timing and scoring during the race. Rahal was running around at the back of the field and was often turning laps 1-2 mph faster than the leaders, but I think he only passed two cars the whole race. Perhaps we need an aero package for each track. I'm sure that idea will be welcomed by all the team owners...
I don't care if they slow down overall but I want as little aero as possible and things as simple as possible so alternating aero at all the tracks are your words, not mine. Pitch away to the owners, if you want.
Old 4 Sep 2020, 14:31 (Ref:4000060)   #46
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
He finished 17th at Texas. Don't forget that was the first time they had run the Aeroscreen in a race, so how the cars would run in race conditions on an oval, was largely unknown. Al they would have had to go on, was the limited time they had for practice and qualifying, which was all crammed into the afternoon.