Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 18 Mar 2020, 16:17 (Ref:3965289)   #101
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
no it moves all by itself.

I gave up trying to get photo's the right way up on here years ago.
Just ask Gordon.Anyway your all off topic.
Old 18 Mar 2020, 16:33 (Ref:3965298)   #102
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
We couldn’t afford Corona! My father insisted that we drank “council pop” ie water.

“You were lucky.......etc”
Pete and Dudley Moore?
I think you'll find that was a Monty Python sketch. From the Secret Policeman's Ball possibly?

Ah yes here it is - "Four Yorkshiremen" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue7wM0QC5LE
Old 18 Mar 2020, 16:45 (Ref:3965308)   #103
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
I do know that you got some money back on the empty bottle. Anyone remember.Just thought I would lighten up this thread.

When I were a lad we all used to go round collecting bottles for the refunds. The best were the soda syphons where we got two bob or even half a crown back on them.
Old 18 Mar 2020, 16:49 (Ref:3965318)   #104
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Click image for larger version

Name:	JOE.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	1.97 MB
ID:	58267 EASY Pictures often come out upside down when uploaded to the internet because they have been taken with a phone, and depending on the orientation of the phone when the picture was taken the URL gets confused. Even if they are showing ok on your computer they still often load that way
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 18 Mar 2020, 16:55 (Ref:3965320)   #105
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
pEDANT aLERT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
I think you'll find that was a Monty Python sketch. From the Secret Policeman's Ball possibly?

Ah yes here it is - "Four Yorkshiremen" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue7wM0QC5LE
Although this was included in Monty Python Live at the Drury Lane the sketch was originally from a previous live show called At Last, the 1948 Show (I think, which included some of The Pythons and others such as Tim Brooke-Taylor and Mary Feldman.
Sorry
Old 18 Mar 2020, 16:56 (Ref:3965321)   #106
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
When I were a lad we all used to go round collecting bottles for the refunds. The best were the soda syphons where we got two bob or even half a crown back on them.
I'll admit to this now as this was 60+ years ago ! We used to go round the back of one of our local pubs and "take" a few beer bottles that we would take back in the front and be refunded with our ill gotten gains ! The old landlord never caught on what was happening
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 18 Mar 2020, 17:18 (Ref:3965350)   #107
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I just cannot believe that of you Gordon.......
Old 18 Mar 2020, 17:26 (Ref:3965358)   #108
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
I'll admit to this now as this was 60+ years ago ! We used to go round the back of one of our local pubs and "take" a few beer bottles that we would take back in the front and be refunded with our ill gotten gains ! The old landlord never caught on what was happening
What was that pub's name again?
Old 18 Mar 2020, 18:12 (Ref:3965376)   #109
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
I'm afraid to admit that I'm guilty of the same nefarious activities in my youth, round the back of the local off licence. The soda syphons were like gold dust.
Old 18 Mar 2020, 18:19 (Ref:3965379)   #110
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
What was that pub's name again?
It was called "The Bridge Tavern" It closed in1968 but was sold off for a private house about 40 years ago, obviously we knicked too many bottles and put it out of business
Old 19 Mar 2020, 00:50 (Ref:3965446)   #111
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Although this was included in Monty Python Live at the Drury Lane the sketch was originally from a previous live show called At Last, the 1948 Show (I think, which included some of The Pythons and others such as Tim Brooke-Taylor and Mary Feldman.
Sorry
Well I've learned something tonight -- I never knew Marty Feldman had a sister !
Old 19 Mar 2020, 01:04 (Ref:3965447)   #112
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
Well I've learned something tonight -- I never knew Marty Feldman had a sister !
Is that the Mary that had a bogie growing up their nose?

You have to remember the show.
Old 19 Mar 2020, 07:57 (Ref:3965468)   #113
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
Ah well, you know what they say MGD, every day is a school day, you never stop learning.
(I've just learned to take more care when typing comments on internet forums!)
Old 19 Mar 2020, 08:22 (Ref:3965469)   #114
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
Is that the Mary that had a bogie growing up their nose?

You have to remember the show.
Worst job I ever had.
Old 19 Mar 2020, 15:23 (Ref:3965555)   #115
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nicked from a trucker's website:

"Stay away from this, it's a Karrier"
Attached Thumbnails
Corona Karrier.jpg  
Old 19 Mar 2020, 15:26 (Ref:3965556)   #116
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McKay View Post

Ah, that's what our local branch used.
Old 19 Mar 2020, 19:39 (Ref:3965620)   #117
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McKay View Post

I used to work on those 3 cyl engines but decoking those exhaust ports was a messy job, a brilliant engine though
Old 19 Mar 2020, 21:20 (Ref:3965639)   #118
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Well we have gone way off topic and I guess that’s my fault .Have to say we had good test at Brands today and it was lovely to have a visit from Gordon’. Once again I learnt something from the master . Anyway as days go you would of thought nothing had happened . I went for a pre Birthday curry on the way home . Stay safe everyone .
Old 19 Mar 2020, 22:42 (Ref:3965659)   #119
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Well we have gone way off topic and I guess that’s my fault .Have to say we had good test at Brands today and it was lovely to have a visit from Gordon’. Once again I learnt something from the master . Anyway as days go you would of thought nothing had happened . I went for a pre Birthday curry on the way home . Stay safe everyone .
Good to see you Iain, sorry I wasn't on top form but I had 3 teeth removed yesterday that were all next to each other and they had to sew my gum up to close the wound, that's why I didn't stop for lunch
Old 20 Mar 2020, 00:17 (Ref:3965677)   #120
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Am I alone in thinking this is all getting a bit out of hand now?

Yes, I agree that we all need to be a little more cautious, especially around potentially vulnerable people - but does it really make sense to effectively shut down the country and put hundreds, maybe thousands, of small to medium sized businesses at risk, resulting, possibly, in rocketing unemployment and financial ruin for many? If they keep this up for anything longer than a very short period, it could quite possibly put us into another recession from which many will be left reeling for years.

It is, after all, what amounts to a bout of flu for about 99% of those that get it, and not even that serious in many cases. Yes, some of those in the vulnerable groups will die, but people die every day, for all sorts of reasons. It's interesting to note that, apparently - from a quick bit of research I did - in the winter of '08 - '09, over 10,000 people in Britain alone died from flu related causes. I would be extremely surprised if the Coronavirus kills anywhere near that many here, but yet I don't remember the entire country being locked down back then, nor do I have any recollection of people running around like headless chickens buying up anything & everything they could get their hands on!

In the final analysis, I don't expect Coronavirus to be responsible for many more deaths than the average yearly toll attributed to 'normal' flu, and I'm still waiting for someone (anyone!) to explain to me why we have this seemingly OTT reaction to it all?

I'm just going for a lie down now, as I've got a terrible cough and am not feeling too good...
Old 20 Mar 2020, 01:40 (Ref:3965682)   #121
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul D View Post

Yes, I agree that we all need to be a little more cautious, especially around potentially vulnerable people - but does it really make sense to effectively shut down the country and put hundreds, maybe thousands, of small to medium sized businesses at risk, resulting, possibly, in rocketing unemployment and financial ruin for many? If they keep this up for anything longer than a very short period, it could quite possibly put us into another recession from which many will be left reeling for years.

It is, after all, what amounts to a bout of flu for about 99% of those that get it, and not even that serious in many cases. Yes, some of those in the vulnerable groups will die, but people die every day, for all sorts of reasons. It's interesting to note that, apparently - from a quick bit of research I did - in the winter of '08 - '09, over 10,000 people in Britain alone died from flu related causes. I would be extremely surprised if the Coronavirus kills anywhere near that many here, but yet I don't remember the entire country being locked down back then, nor do I have any recollection of people running around like headless chickens buying up anything & everything they could get their hands on!

In the final analysis, I don't expect Coronavirus to be responsible for many more deaths than the average yearly toll attributed to 'normal' flu, and I'm still waiting for someone (anyone!) to explain to me why we have this seemingly OTT reaction to it all?

I'm just going for a lie down now, as I've got a terrible cough and am not feeling too good...
Covid-19 is new and more virulent than Flu...we can get shots to ward of the Flu whereas the new one is an unknown...

https://www.livescience.com/new-coro...-with-flu.html
Old 20 Mar 2020, 07:38 (Ref:3965699)   #122
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
So Mr Paul D you are more of an expert on this than some of cleverest medical minds in the world?
Are you living in stupid Trumps idiotic world of February or Fox News?
Any prevention is worth doing.
Even the philistines of the world are catching on . Presume you will catch up . Let’s hope you don’t catch it!!
Old 20 Mar 2020, 08:27 (Ref:3965711)   #123
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul D View Post

I'm afraid you are.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 20 Mar 2020, 08:28 (Ref:3965712)   #124
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
It really is a moving and variable target. Which is also hitting different areas in different ways due to demographic variation. Whilst I have no trust or faith in politicians and those self appointed bodies with vested commercial interests, I do have confidence in the science and medical professions. Fortunately they seem to be at the forefront of advice and opinion. Which is a minor relief as There are too many countries led by ignoramus buffoons.
Old 20 Mar 2020, 09:02 (Ref:3965717)   #125
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
I think you are very much in the minority, Paul D.

Never mind the hopefully temporary disruption to our sport, in my opinion this virus is world changing in the long term.