Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 May 2003, 15:05 (Ref:606946)   #1
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
First problems for the MP4/18

Only 11 laps due to what the team calls a hydraulic failure, but what some are calling an engine failure (lots of oil squirted on track).

Of course, its a new car, and these problems are expected. Just hope that they get the problems sorted, and the new Merc engine holds together for Montreal!

Story, as usual, is at www.gazzetta.it (if you read Italian).
Old 22 May 2003, 15:28 (Ref:606966)   #2
Lazarus
Rookie

Lazarus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
they wont race it until it's reliable
Old 22 May 2003, 15:31 (Ref:606971)   #3
ljakse
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
ljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And from www.homeoff1.com

Quote:
'So far, so good.' That's how Alex Wurz described his first 17 laps aboard the visually radical and highly-anticipated McLaren MP4-18 at Paul Ricard.

The Austrian pulled into the pits after twelve initial laps on Wednesday with a suspected hydraulic problem with the car carrying the hopes of everyone at Woking.

A little later, though, Wurz re-took the twisty curves of a Monaco-preparatory Paul Ricard layout in southern France and was quickly boasting about how 'great' the car felt.

'Of course, I'm very excited to be driving the MP4-18 for the first time,' the 29-year-old enthused. 'Everything feels great.'

Watched on by CEO Ron Dennis, managing director Martin Whitmarsh, and other team drivers Kimi Raikkonen, David Coulthard and Pedro de la Rosa, McLaren insisted it had taken the day 'very slow.'

Indeed, Wurz rounded out the day five second slower than the older MP4-17D versions lapping with Kimi and David.

'We've had no real problems,' Wurz continued.

'But, of course, we have to take it slow as always when you do the first shakedown, which is what this is - not a real test.'

The European Grand Prix, held at the Nurburgring in late June, is tipped as the most likely debut location for MP4-18.
Old 22 May 2003, 15:55 (Ref:607000)   #4
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Led ZeppF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not good news. McLaren's new MP4-18A have trouble, again. The Mac hit major trouble in testing at Paul Ricard today.

According to Autosport.com, Alex Wurz was forced to stop on the right hander after Signes corner, although eye witnesses report that the car showed no outward signs of any problem.
Old 22 May 2003, 16:20 (Ref:607020)   #5
danhx
Racer

danhx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was reported that the "hydraulic problem" from yesterday was really just a bad sensor and that the system itself was fine.
Old 22 May 2003, 16:21 (Ref:607022)   #6
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't think tis is any big deal - with a brand new car and engine they will likely stop the car immediately they see and untoward sign in the telemetry. They won't learn much if they push on through and blow up the engine or crash the car. A slow and methodical approach is boring for us fans but definitely the way to tackle testing.
Old 22 May 2003, 16:28 (Ref:607027)   #7
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If the brand new car was 100% problem free I'd have been more suprised. Failures like this are only to be expected and part of the testing program.
Old 22 May 2003, 16:55 (Ref:607054)   #8
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Re: First problems for the MP4/18

Quote:
Originally posted by Inigo Montoya
(lots of oil squirted on track).
Quote:
http://www.autosport.com/newsitem.asp?id=23089&s=5
Alexander Wurz was forced to stop on the right hander after Signes corner, although eye witnesses report that the car showed no outward signs of any problem. The new machine was stuck in the pits for some time yesterday (Wednesday) due to a faulty hydraulic sensor.
?

It would be a surprise if something didn't go wrong. Anyway what are they doing? Testing?

It sounds like this problem has sidelined them before they got any decent running in. We need some decent running assess sensibly if the car is reliable or not!

Last edited by Adam43; 22 May 2003 at 16:56.
Old 22 May 2003, 17:56 (Ref:607091)   #9
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Two breakdowns, Adam. The one yesterday, according to Gazzetta, left puddles of oil (despite the claim in your quote), and another today, that showed no outward sign of a problem.

Of course its expected that something goes wrong, as I said in my original post. So if you're annoyed by me posting this, just delete it - you have the power
Old 22 May 2003, 18:13 (Ref:607107)   #10
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Might have been an electrical failure in the one today. That's the easiest sort of problem to correct, thankfully.
Old 22 May 2003, 18:35 (Ref:607117)   #11
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Inigo Montoya
Two breakdowns, Adam. The one yesterday, according to Gazzetta, left puddles of oil (despite the claim in your quote), and another today, that showed no outward sign of a problem.

Of course its expected that something goes wrong, as I said in my original post. So if you're annoyed by me posting this, just delete it - you have the power
Calm yourself. My point was mainly that it just goes to show that two sources about the same thing can vary in their factual content. Not my quote, Autosport's!!!! I don't know which is correct.

The first part of the bit I quote is talking about today's breakdown. Sorry if that wasn't clear, my fault. The second line talks about yesterday. here's the full story:
Quote:
McLaren's new MP4-18A challenger hit major trouble for the first time in testing at Paul Ricard today (Thursday) when it stopped on an out lap.

Alexander Wurz was forced to stop on the right hander after Signes corner, although eye witnesses report that the car showed no outward signs of any problem. The new machine was stuck in the pits for some time yesterday (Wednesday) due to a faulty hydraulic sensor.

Due to the strong winds at Paul Ricard, the tarpaulin that was meant to cover the stricken car kept blowing away. Eventually, no less than eight McLaren personnel were dispatched to hold it down and make sure that photographers could not get a close-up shot of the machine as it was towed back to the pits.

Wurz completed a couple of installation laps throughout the day, but the exhausts appeared to be setting fire to the bodywork and required a squirt of fire extinguisher each time he returned to the pits. He eventually managed a five-lap run at the end of the day.
I agree with you that 'these problems are expected', I too think that it would be a surprise if something didn't go wrong.

However I'm so annoyed by your last post I'm thinking of moving it to where no one will read it. The next weather thread!

Last edited by Adam43; 22 May 2003 at 18:37.
Old 22 May 2003, 18:40 (Ref:607125)   #12
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, exhaust hot enough to set fire to the body is a good sign for a powerful engine.

Methinks they had too much faith in those "advanced materials", and are going to have to figure out some better heat shielding for exhaust exits.
Old 22 May 2003, 18:44 (Ref:607128)   #13
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
Calm yourself.
Uggh. Sorry mate. Too many hours in front of these damn simulations I'm running!

Back on topic... Interesting the bit about the exhausts setting fire to the car... Have we established that they exit near the rear wing mount at the end?

Last edited by Inigo Montoya; 22 May 2003 at 18:44.
Old 22 May 2003, 19:02 (Ref:607143)   #14
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Simulations. Maybe McLaren should have done some exhausts!

That would be quite an issue, especially if it also causes problems with the rear wing mounting? I'm not sure if we 100% decided the exhausts were positioned there.
Old 23 May 2003, 08:17 (Ref:607499)   #15
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
MP4-18A troublesome start-up

In the first two days of testing at Paul Ricard, the new Macs has showed many problems that allowed Wurz a very little number of laps.
Everybody will agree, I think, that it can be normal for a shakedown.
But I really didn't expect so many problems, particularly if compared to 2003-GA , which at the first test broke lap record at Fiorano.
Then Ferrari had to solve many reliability problems, but the car proved brilliant since the beginning.
How long will we have to wait to see good performances of new Mac?
Old 23 May 2003, 08:43 (Ref:607520)   #16
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Information source: I remind everyone that Gazzetta newspaper and Ferrari belong to the same owner, so features coming from it must be read with attention.
Anyways, considered the pomp that McLaren gave to the new car shakedown, I can suspect that not even they expected such a troubled start-up
Old 23 May 2003, 18:02 (Ref:608179)   #17
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
They won't race it until it's reliable, so I predict a debut in Suzuka 2004 at the earliest due to the teams woeful inability to get reliability QUICKLY. And when they get it right the Merc Benz blows.
Old 23 May 2003, 22:07 (Ref:608340)   #18
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They're starting to push the new Mac, and it appears to be responding well. Apparently this time was done on a heavy fuel load.

Paul Ricard day 4 (unofficial)
Pos Driver Chassis-engine Tyres Time Laps
1 Juan Pablo Montoya Williams-BMW M 1m32.307s 69
2 Alex Wurz McLaren-Mercedes M 1m33.566s 30*
3 Marc Gene Williams-BMW M 1m34.059s 65
4 Pedro de la Rosa McLaren-Mercedes M 1m34.099s 74*
5 Ricardo Zonta Toyota M 1m36.218s 62

M = Michelin
* Wurz in MP4-18, de la Rosa in MP4-17D
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 24 May 2003, 01:41 (Ref:608438)   #19
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Ferrari win at Monaco and Montreal then the championship will be very difficult to win for Mclaren..I think they're lucky not to have paid a higher price for running last year's car so far into this season...they have Williams Grand Prix to thank for providing poor competition which has allowed Mclaren to get out of jail.

The new Mclaren like most new F1 cars..needs a lot of testing and time for the team to understand it properly..by the time they do...the championship may be long gone.