Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 24 Aug 2000, 15:30 (Ref:32531)   #1
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
A new Zealand Trans Am team will head to the states later this year to try to have a crack at the American series...3 races have been planed so far with the help of Lou Giggliotti..who will help out with a transporter and the use of his factory facilities.

team owner Alan ferguson will drive in 2 races at Laguna Seca and Las Vegas while current V8 supercar driver craig baird will drive the car first at the texas race.
Ferguson is hoping to make some contacts in the US to start building cars for the series over there..but believes that his team must first prove that their cars are competitive in the states..the car will be painted in the New Zealand all black colours so look out for them when they arrive.

as for craig baird ..he is currently in his debut season in the Australian V8 supercar series and is having a disasterous time..allthough things started well with a heat win at Phillip Island it has just got worse from there and he is hoping the trans am drive can turn things around for him..he is the defending New Zealand Trans am champion so hopefully he and ferguson can put on a good show over there..i will be watching with interest.
Old 25 Aug 2000, 00:14 (Ref:32589)   #2
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
From reading the article in AA about this I get the feeling Barid is looking for something to do next season...in fact im almost certain he wont be at SBR next year, and i doubt V8 Supercars....so if he can go over to the states and get a drive....
Old 25 Aug 2000, 01:52 (Ref:32619)   #3
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
yep im sure that he wont be in V8's either crash...he has had a horrible time and is probably feeling rather ill about it all..and who knows if all goes well for him he may take up trans am in the US..but how well he will do over there is another question.
Old 25 Aug 2000, 03:44 (Ref:32631)   #4
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Another loopy one from SBR is that Longhurst will retire...to make way for Wills, even Lowndes? I reckon given a chance he might be half all right in Trans Ams...i guess a lot depends on the competition....
It's funny, he was the gun driver for BMW Oz, pretty much won Bathurst 97 all on his own, showed exceptional pace, and then Barid's career has gone down the loo since going to the BTCC...remember he retired, but then came back for V8s..
Old 25 Aug 2000, 04:07 (Ref:32635)   #5
kev
Rookie

kev should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Baird will make the 'Contacts'.
The only way he knows how to pass is to punt the other guy off the track.
I don't think that will be so good for Ferg's business.
Old 25 Aug 2000, 14:28 (Ref:32699)   #6
Rocketsports
Rookie

Rocketsports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like the idea of teams from New Zealand coming here. It gives us a chance to measure ourselves against a global scale. This will be a true test too, as this will be the first time that anyone has raced at the Dallas, Texas circuit (the racing surface is 13 days old!!!). As far as selling cars in the US, there is a major rule change that will take effect in 2001. Along with this change goes the debate over whether it is right. I believe that it is similar to one that went on in your corner of the world some time ago. The address for the Trans - Am website is http://www.trans-amseries.com
Click on the bulliten board link, it is becoming more interesting every day.

John Gentilozzi
Old 25 Aug 2000, 15:54 (Ref:32716)   #7
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
thanks John i have been looking for a site for quite some time.
CHEERS
Old 25 Aug 2000, 16:40 (Ref:32724)   #8
Chris S
Rookie

Chris S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dallas Race or Houston Race?

So will Baird be racing at TMS (in Dallas) or at Houston? Doesn't really say in the article posted here. Both races are in Texas, and both races are in September. I haven't really paid attention to the Houston race, but I think the main attraction is CART and it is a street circuit race. The main attraction at Dallas is ALMS and is being held on the new "roval" track.

Check out the SCCA Pro BB -- http://bbs.sccaproracing.com/ubb/For...ML/000524.html -- for a rather lengthy discussion on how the "roval" is going to work. I will be one of the poor slobs in white cleaning up the messes at T1.

Chris Safranek
Old 25 Aug 2000, 21:18 (Ref:32785)   #9
Rocketsports
Rookie

Rocketsports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was my understanding that they were going to compete at the Dallas event. They are both going to be hot events (105 deg. F, ~34 C I think) but Houston is a tough place on cars in all aspects. Additionally, as far as bang for the buck goes, Dallas is the place to be because there will probably be better exposure due to the fact that we aren't in the shadow of CART.
Old 26 Aug 2000, 02:30 (Ref:32853)   #10
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
the article that I read only says that Baird will drive at a race in Texas...maybe they havent decided which one as yet ..Im not sure.
Old 30 Aug 2000, 22:03 (Ref:34070)   #11
Warwick
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
Warwick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As well as Baird,Grant Sylvester is also travelling from NZ to compete in one event,depending on how they go in that, they will look at contesting a second race,unfortunately i can't find the article,so i'm unsure what meetings they are doing.
Old 4 Nov 2000, 09:55 (Ref:46647)   #12
Warwick
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
Warwick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I misplaced the results frorm the first race meeting,so i can't give you those.however Craig Baird driving Alan Fergusons car got a second at Los Vegas and Grant Silvester in his Mustang came in 11th.
Old 4 Nov 2000, 21:30 (Ref:46717)   #13
TheShadow
Rookie

TheShadow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it is great to see

The fact that a Kiwi can come here and do well is nice to see. The T/A is set for big growth so the timing is great.

The fact that a driver from NZ does well here could also get more interest going for T/A racing in NZ and OZ.

Tube frame, V-8 coupes are exciting to watch and cost effective as well. That is part of why I think that T/A and DTM will do well in the next few years.

Shadow
Old 4 Nov 2000, 22:27 (Ref:46724)   #14
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
I carnt recall the results from the first race either but for baird to claim a second was truly an amzing effort.

well done Craig

Maybe he will go full time in the states after this effort.