Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 30 Jun 2020, 19:18 (Ref:3984798)   #11
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Whilst vaguely on the subject of older Fiats, back in the early 50s, my father rented a Fiat 600 to carry 5 of us, 4 adults or near adults and me still under the age of 10, from Milan central station to the Adriatic costal resort of Cattolica. It was a long, hot journey made even worse because it was almost impossible to drive around corners.

The problem was that we had so much luggage that required it to be loaded on to a roof rack, which made the car extremely top heavy, with only my sister, who was nothing like me and who was very much on the large size, to act as a counterbalance.

This eventful road journey just made what had started out as a trip from hell even worse. This is because at the station, my father was arrested for vandalism, or something like that, after he had accidentally smashed one of the train's windows. Back then, luggage would be passed through an open window, and be handed to a porter standing on the platform.

Well, this started off OK, but as my father turned his back to the window to get the next suitcase from the overhead rack, an embarking passenger entered the carriage and decided to close the window. My father, not realising that the window was now closed, turned back to face the platform and proceeded to pass the suitcase through the closed window; result being glass all over the platform and the swift arrival of the Carabinieri, with my Dad being marched off to their office. A fine and restitution was paid, and he was released so that we could go on our way.