Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 15 Dec 2012, 10:55 (Ref:3178882)   #1
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Dijon Motors Cup

http://www.themastersseries.com/event-information.html plus others.

Lurani Trophy
HGPCA pre 61
HGPCA Pre 66
HGPCA sportscars
Masters GP
Masters WSM
Masters Touring Cars
Masters Gentlemen Drivers
HMRN U2TC
Old 8 Jun 2013, 05:54 (Ref:3259209)   #2
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
DIJON MOTORS CUP

This is a new one- a month after the l'Age d'Or and we are back at Dijon where Carol Spragg is running races for U2TC, Pre '63 and 1000km races, Flavien and Vanessa take their GT&SCC grid and Motor Racing Legends the Stirling Moss Trophy. So for those of you who decided on Spa in June, another chance to get to Dijon as well!

It all looks a bit more compact and low key than the 'other' event, with free testing and qualifying friday, and racing all over by end of saturday. No mention of the car clubs, autojumble etc that add to the spectacle at l'Age d'Or but high quality grids, never the less. Will be interesting to see if somewhat low competitor numbers at Monza are repeated, especially with Silverstone Classic two weekends after.....

Simon and I will be there with his Morgan SLR for the two hour GT&SCC race, hoping for no mechanical gremlins and incident free track time!

BTW the list of grids shown on calendar is inaccurate due to confusion at beginning of year between the (now) two summer events at Dijon. There are only those listed in first paragraph plus two races for 'XL Formula' that am not familiar with......
Old 18 Jun 2013, 08:35 (Ref:3264239)   #3
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Having just got back from Dijon, looking forward to going back for this one. It has to be one of the nicest locations for any race circuit! Bit of advice for anyone else going- pack insect repellent and anti-histamine as well as sun cream! Little buggers were out in force last weekend.

I know most racers tend to take there own cars to Dijon due to logistics of flying etc, but if anyone is interested in sharing truck costs and driving down in something exotic / classic rather than a tow car, let me know. Otherwise it will be van and trailer again!

Old 9 Jul 2013, 20:08 (Ref:3276040)   #4
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
The GT&SCC grid for this one is currently 39 cars. That's a lot better than Monza! Haven't got access to other organisers stuff but hopefully they will also have healthy numbers. And forecast is looking good......

Old 10 Jul 2013, 05:43 (Ref:3276184)   #5
MartinH
Racer

Luxembourg
Luxembourg
MartinH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi, Mike ; looks like you are the only one interested in this meeting !! I will be going down there to spectate - no funds to run the Cortina this year - so hope to bump into you when there.

Martin
Old 10 Jul 2013, 06:13 (Ref:3276186)   #6
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinH View Post
Hi, Mike ; looks like you are the only one interested in this meeting !!

Martin
The only one on tenths, anyway!

Sorry to hear about the Cortina Martin but look forward to seeing you there, hopefully. There should be a couple of SLRs and a Grantura in one of the far end garages somewhere!

Going to be a bit busy Thursday eve (get in, unload and scrut) and Friday morn (2 x test + qualifying), but less so, unless something broken, later in the day. Race 2 hrs Saturday morning.......

Old 11 Jul 2013, 08:12 (Ref:3276480)   #7
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
356sc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
gutted not to be going this year, as this is a great event on a good circuit!

Fingers crossed Mike that you are more successful this weekend than the 2 previous GT&SCC outings!
60s endurance 1965 356sc #49
Mag 7's #60
Old 11 Jul 2013, 08:30 (Ref:3276488)   #8
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by 356sc View Post
gutted not to be going this year, as this is a great event on a good circuit!

Fingers crossed Mike that you are more successful this weekend than the 2 previous GT&SCC outings!
Sorry not see your lovely car on the entry list, Will.

The SLR is all immaculate again and has been at my place for a bit to give final check over, spit and polish. I'm going to be keeping out of trouble in the race and hoping that the new halfshafts are bullet proof! Oh, and keeping an extra eye on Elevens.......

Old 12 Jul 2013, 22:27 (Ref:3277172)   #9
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Anyone heard from mike
Old 13 Jul 2013, 07:22 (Ref:3277225)   #10
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I suspect he's too busy enjoying the good food & wine to update us.....
Old 13 Jul 2013, 18:58 (Ref:3277372)   #11
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
I suspect he's too busy enjoying the good food & wine to update us.....
Yes and no....... My pay as you go simcard ran out and without Internet couldn't reload...... Clever!

Well, as for the racing all I can say is YIPPEE!

After 3 (GT&SCC & Masters) races so far with incidents and / or car problems the SLR finally ran two hours like a metronome and gave us a strong result with 15th o/a. Sadly no class podium as very strong in GT3 with Healeys, other SLRs, a Corvette and sundry others. Class winner was the SLR of Keith Ahlers and Billy Bellinger with an amazing 4th o/a. My buddy Rick Bourne with Malcolm Paul in the latter's Grantura came an excellent 10th and won GT2. They have also had some reliability issues this season and arrived with a new engine fitted day before departure. Winners overall were Leo and Simon in the familiar Cobra. Jon Minshaw was on the pace in his E Type but suffered car problems later in the race. Several other cars, mainly Jags, expired in the heat, one bringing out the SC early in the race when it lost a front wheel and finished up in the middle of the pit entrance lane!

The rules for the series in a 2hr race, where two drivers are sharing, are slightly complicated. The owner must drive 50% of the race. Neither driver can do more than 50 minute stints. So two pit stops and driver changes required. (If one driver still has to do two stops) Our plan was that Simon would do between 20 & 50 minutes, I would do 50 definite and then he would finish race. The "between 20 & 50" was dependent on if there was a SC period. The E Type wheel incident happened at 18 minutes....... I guessed Simon may come in regardless that it was early and donned helmet and gloves quickly. He was first in and stopped at 19 minutes, so after I was belted had to wait until 20 before going out, but luckily did so before the train came round, catching it in a couple of laps. Unfortunately the SC period was long enough for virtually the whole field to come in and change drivers so our advantage was cancelled out. It did mean for a few laps we were pretty close to the front though, until the restart!

I love Dijon circuit with it's one straight. The rest of the lap is constant flowing corners, all in 3rd or top in the Morgan. No Micky mouse stuff there......... Combined with being in a beautiful area of France, racing there should be high on everyone's 'to do' list.

Our event wasn't completely trouble free, as after qualifying, while going through the car I found the LHR hub seal was allowing grease to escape and some had got on the (new) shoes. Fortunately we had more new shoes and Brett from Brands Hatch Morgans had a seal. He also had the massive hub puller required to get the darn hub off the half shaft! I remember trying to get them apart on my +4 and eventually had to use a ten ton press.......... Apart from that though, no dramas, so hopefully not too much work needed before The Classic in two weeks. Good news!

Old 14 Jul 2013, 04:18 (Ref:3277481)   #12
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sounds like great fun Mike,and an excellent result-well done.Yes,it should be on everyones list of "to do Circuits",it really is that good!
BTW,did you brake before or after the dip?
Old 14 Jul 2013, 05:27 (Ref:3277482)   #13
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Dijon is well up on my list of favourite circuits. I've raced it dry and wet and it's never failed to delight. And when you're not racing you can get to most places for excellent spectating.
Old 14 Jul 2013, 09:49 (Ref:3277514)   #14
MartinH
Racer

Luxembourg
Luxembourg
MartinH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Results etc can be found here ;

http://www.ffsa.org/res_circuit.php?id=2220

Nice to meet up with you again, Mike !!
Old 14 Jul 2013, 11:06 (Ref:3277531)   #15
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Well done, Mike........Mr Ahlers car is pretty good, and he's not without talent...and a very pleasant chap, too! He used to race in 750 Roadsports when my mate Steve was running the Clan....Steve still remembers Keith raising his hand in a courteous gesture of thanks as he swept past Steve through the Craner curves......
Old 14 Jul 2013, 12:25 (Ref:3277547)   #16
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Dijon is well up on my list of favourite circuits. I've raced it dry and wet and it's never failed to delight. And when you're not racing you can get to most places for excellent spectating.
Yes, an excellent spectators circuit, and with paddock in the middle easy to get to various view points. Was thinking on way home that the Portimao track has copied some of Dijon's elevation changes and corners. Another flowing circuit, just right for historics.

Thanks for the link Martin! Was good to have time for a chat- hopefully next time you will be driving as well. I need to look at the lap charts if they are on those results. Cheers!

Old 15 Jul 2013, 06:56 (Ref:3277797)   #17
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
Well done Mike, after all the trials and tribulations so far this season richly deserved!

Looking at the results it is some consolation that we did not go, as with Rick finishing 10th overall (an excellent result) and the other MGB's in GT2 well placed, I think we might have been propping up the bottom end of the GT2 class and the result sheet!
Mag 7's #60
Old 15 Jul 2013, 08:36 (Ref:3277831)   #18
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by 356sc View Post
Well done Mike, after all the trials and tribulations so far this season richly deserved!

Looking at the results it is some consolation that we did not go, as with Rick finishing 10th overall (an excellent result) and the other MGB's in GT2 well placed, I think we might have been propping up the bottom end of the GT2 class and the result sheet!
Thanks Will, still think your car would have done OK! Yes, there were two quick Bs entered, but sadly the Lamberts got no further than qualifying, so you could have got a 3rd.....

Will you at le circuit du Castellet at the end of August? (Sounds much better than 'Paul Ricard' )
Old 15 Jul 2013, 09:15 (Ref:3277847)   #19
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Will you at le circuit du Castellet at the end of August? (Sounds much better than 'Paul Ricard' )
Am hoping to beg/borrow/steal a drive in a 356 speedster, as Dad will still be swanning around the USA!

It is currently in the process of getting built, so fingers crossed that we make it!
Mag 7's #60