Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 23 Mar 2019, 11:36 (Ref:3892930)   #176
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It makes a refreshing change when that doesn't happen for once
Old 23 Mar 2019, 12:05 (Ref:3892937)   #177
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Sadly I fear that one swallow doesn't make a summer on that issue.......
Old 23 Mar 2019, 12:16 (Ref:3892939)   #178
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
Thinking back on the race, one of the things I enjoyed most was not a single mention of track limits, by either the comms team or race director.

Because the track...

has...

limits...
And we also didn't see a lot of wrecks in either the WEC or IMSA races exactly because actual track limits with consequences gets drivers' attention and discourages silly, overaggressive moves.
Old 23 Mar 2019, 18:47 (Ref:3892975)   #179
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Being fair, where else could the WEC go to in Europe that has a draw that's like Sebring in terms of track limits? It seems most tracks with a name for themselves have be neutered in terms of of run-off. Honest question as I'm not from Europe.
Old 23 Mar 2019, 19:01 (Ref:3892977)   #180
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Being fair, where else could the WEC go to in Europe that has a draw that's like Sebring in terms of track limits? It seems most tracks with a name for themselves have be neutered in terms of of run-off. Honest question as I'm not from Europe.
That's a good thought experiment that one.

Nurburgring GP is one that still has self-enforced track limits. Whilst the new GP section has tarmac run off, the low grip level of the astroturf and the kerb shape make it unusable. There is a bit of extra used on the exit of the GP section, but that has to be tarmac as it's used for the no-stadium version. That's similar to Sebring entry to the backstraight.

But the rest of the circuit is grass and gravel. You can't really go off anywhere outside of the GP stadium loop and recover easily.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9mm8LTrGsE

Obviously, they won't be going there, but Jerez is also still gravel and grass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPNlkgBgeQY

I had Mugello in mind, but after I watched an onboard I realised I was pretty out of date with that. There's still grass and gravel, but quite a bit of tarmac in S1/S2.
Old 23 Mar 2019, 20:10 (Ref:3892985)   #181
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
unlike european circuits, american tracks don't care to fit to the most recent FIA standards....
Old 23 Mar 2019, 20:38 (Ref:3892987)   #182
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What's Magny Cours like these days? Never a great circuit but compared to the monstrosity that is Paul Ricard...
Old 23 Mar 2019, 23:19 (Ref:3893000)   #183
ApexTurtle
Racer

United States
ApexTurtle is a back marker
To me a circuit is about the corners and the layout, but apparently that's a little old fashioned
Old 24 Mar 2019, 00:25 (Ref:3893002)   #184
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The old fashioned Bentley Boys were always keen on making sure there were good places to dine near a circuit.
Old 24 Mar 2019, 03:01 (Ref:3893009)   #185
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by canaglia View Post
unlike european circuits, american tracks don't care to fit to the most recent FIA standards....
Most major American road courses — Barber, Laguna Seca, Lime Rock, Mid-Ohio, Portland, Road-America, Road Atlanta, Sebring, Sonoma, VIR, Watkins Glen — in fact do currently hold FIA licenses. It's that they're at the Grade 2 level. If you mean that they haven't been upgraded to meet current FIA Grade 1 standards — which is required to hold a F1 race — then you are correct.
Old 24 Mar 2019, 21:49 (Ref:3893117)   #186
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMightyM View Post
The ACO/WEC regard the Sebring weekend as a success. IMSA is happy too, and Scott Atherton thinks that the WEC will very likely be back at Sebring in 2020.

That said, there is one thing that needs to be worked on. Per S365:

Bookmark that quote — it tells us a lot about what the ACO/WEC doesn't do well and the challenges it faces going forward.

Edited to add: Atherton's complaint is especially interesting given the WEC's strong preference for Grade 1 tracks and all the corporate suites and such that typically go along with hosting F1.
WEC's biggest sponsor, and the one that spends the most on activation, is Michelin.

Perhaps Atherton doesn't realise that they sponsor things other than the Pilot Challenge?
Old 24 Mar 2019, 21:49 (Ref:3893118)   #187
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
What's Magny Cours like these days? Never a great circuit but compared to the monstrosity that is Paul Ricard...
It's still miles from anywhere.
Old 25 Mar 2019, 09:54 (Ref:3893188)   #188
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic View Post
It's still miles from anywhere.
Yeah, well that's a different sort of track limit.
Old 26 Mar 2019, 15:35 (Ref:3893510)   #189
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Herewith my contribution to the Tenthers' Sebring WEC photo collection:

https://bit.ly/2WrsQuW

My usual caveats:

- I'm a fan with a camera, not an expert photographer like others we are lucky to have on the forum
- I take a lot of photos so this is a big album
- All pics are cropped and resized but otherwise unedited

This was my first time at Sebring so inevitably I hadn't yet learned the best spots/angles. It always takes a few visits to learn small details like whether to go high or low in a stand, interesting backdrops etc. My pictures from the IMSA race the next day (which I am now editing) are noticeably better just as a result of having taken this album's worth first.

I hope you enjoy!
Old 29 Mar 2019, 11:04 (Ref:3894084)   #190
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Finally finished the WEC Sebring 1000 photos (bar the grid walk)

Daytime
https://flic.kr/s/aHsmaNXuot

After Dark
https://flic.kr/s/aHsmC3wu1e
Old 29 Mar 2019, 23:34 (Ref:3894191)   #191
TheMightyM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwh43scale View Post
Finally finished the WEC Sebring 1000 photos (bar the grid walk)

Daytime
https://flic.kr/s/aHsmaNXuot

After Dark
https://flic.kr/s/aHsmC3wu1e
Nice photos! Thanks for sharing.