Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 4 Aug 2002, 23:19 (Ref:350097)   #1
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What are the Superlicence requirements and how can they be improved?

I've no idea what the Superlicence requirements are, but how Alex Yoong met them I don't know. Is a superlicence available to drivers if they have enough money!?
Old 5 Aug 2002, 00:37 (Ref:350117)   #2
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Good question - I was stunned when Alex Yoong was confirmed to drive at Minardi towards the end of last year.

Valve
Old 5 Aug 2002, 00:48 (Ref:350118)   #3
Legend
Veteran

Legend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Man I will miss him if he is out I like the extremes like Schumacher and Yoong, each in their own unique way!
Old 5 Aug 2002, 02:00 (Ref:350134)   #4
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd think it is available if you have enough money, but it must be a very high price. I'd think the requirement would be at least a season and a podium finish in some top-level series like British F3, International or European F3000, CART ChampCars, DTM, FIA SCC or GT, or ALMS... I know in '92 there was a big fuss when Perry McCarthy's Superlicense was pulled. He had plenty of experience, but at that time the FIA would only accept credentials from F2, F3, F3000... The "official" precursors to F1.

You'll remember from last season that some people felt Kimi Raikonnen was underqualified, having only gotten as high as a Formula Renault championship. He'd be so overwhelmingly successful in that formula, though, and in his testing with Sauber, that his maturity and skill as a driver was undeniable.

Holding a Superlicense basically tell team owners, race organizers and officials, and other drivers that you can at least keep pace with the very best, and that you're not prone to making stupid mistakes, don't use your car as a battering ram, and your driving isn't dangerously aggressive.

Yoong certainly fails the "keeping pace" part.
Old 5 Aug 2002, 03:07 (Ref:350160)   #5
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think the Superlicence regulations are vey lax, particularly concerning drivers like Yoong who can gain one without any success in other series. It's pathetic.

However, I realise there are certain exceptions, such as Raikkonen, but on the whole drivers should be made to go through at least Formula 3 before they are allowed a shot at F1. The leap in speed and technology even between F1 and F3000 is significant.
Old 5 Aug 2002, 04:06 (Ref:350169)   #6
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
I'd propose to give Superlicence just to drivers with any F1 experience.

With this system, as years pass by, F1 will get empty and we could begin another better series
Old 5 Aug 2002, 07:04 (Ref:350201)   #7
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"I'd propose to give Superlicence just to drivers with any F1 experience"

Fair point I suppose, we have Wurz, Gene, Badoer, Burti, Sarrazin, Courtney, Verstappen, Briscoe on the sidelines all of whom driven F1 cars, but I must say, I don't like the idea. Does it really matter how tight the superlicence is as long as the driver isn't dangerous. Yoong isn't dangerous, and the way I see it, if Minardi want to hire a driver who struggles to make the 107% time then so be it. Within reason, I think most racers should qualify...